Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elentor posted:

The point is that some of these "interactions" make much more sense in a Japanese context.

I noticed this quite a bit while reading the update. I haven't played this game since I was a kid, and it's a lot different now that I know a lot more about Japanese media. I think 7 was literally the first time I had encountered the whole "childhood friend" thing Japan has going on in so much.

This game also taught me that all black men have a gun grafted into their arm. It kind of bugs me that you find guns made to be grafted into an arm so often, but there will be many more perplexing questions soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

He's clearly saying "Congratulations! You lucky contestant, welcome to the Money Metro!"

Unfortunately they have to leave before Barret can give the guy any trivia questions to answer.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elentor posted:

What would you guys want/expect/wish from a modern-day RPG?

An open world that allows and expects you to explore everything, while restricting you as little as possible.

A colorful cast of characters that all bring something unique to the table. NPCs should not be generic meat puppets that talk about mudcrabs, instead give them all at least something interesting to say, be it world building or something funny.

Leveling should never be a linear experience. The game should allow you to build any sort of character you'd like, and all of them should be viable to play the game with from beginning to end. It also should not involve pure numbers, giving players special abilities or perks.

Above all, the world you play in should feel reasonably genuine. Environments shouldn't feel empty or sterile, events should not feel contrived, and people should not be giving you dissertations about things everyone should know about.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

George posted:

Basch is the main character, but it's true that Ashe's story drives the themes and events. Basch has the important perspective, though.

And yeah, Vaan is the cameraman.

Too bad he didn't end up being eaten by some terrible beast like in Cloverfield. It'd be my favorite JRPG of all time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, I got that too, for the first bit. He angsts right up until the bit where it would be reasonable to angst, and then stops. He spends a lot of time being whiny, and then the game goes "You gon' die." and he's like "Oh, well, poo poo happens".

It's not too hard to believe someone would throw away the petty bullshit that consumes them once they are forced to face their own mortality.

Tidus is a really great character honestly. It's just too bad that character happens to be insufferable for the majority of the game. His emotions are pretty complex, it's just that he can only express himself like a child. I have no idea why anyone puts up with his poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

S-Alpha posted:

Really, the love story in FFVIII is one of the most well done ones I can think of.

You must be out of your goddamn mind man.

Sparks fly between those two like two damp, rags. Squall may not be as bad as many people think, but the romance between him and Rinoa is so weak that I'd believe it was a leftover from an earlier build of the game.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 2, 2011

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I always liked President Shinra. "Terrorists blowing up my reactors? I'm going to go down there and taunt them so hard." He's got style.

Cloud's a lot cooler in the beginning than toward the end. Understandably so, because Cloud's got a lot on his mind in the second half. Still, it's pretty awesome how Cloud has no trouble at all plowing through Shinra goons. It's easy to see where his popularity comes from.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Left Ventricle posted:

I've been playing this game since it came out in '97 and have yet to figure that one out. Nobody even mentions it ever again afterward.

Out of all the things in this game, two main characters escaping a fiery explosion while a ton of mooks stand around doing nothing is the thing that gets to you?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Korremar posted:

Quite a few pages late, but unfortunately, this is almost a thing.

Final Fantasy and Philosophy: The Ultimate Walkthrough.

I saw this horror in person at my local library.

This is so loving weird that I want to see it.

Plus I always knew that the moogles are pinko commie bastards.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dragonatrix posted:

Aeris is a much better name to find an anagram for, since there's two that make much, much more sense; "raise" and "arise." The fact that they're both the old translated names for the Life spells doesn't hurt either.
Those are pretty terrible anagrams for her.

Reno is the best drat thing about this game. The Turks are all great but Reno is by far the best. Just always chill and smug as hell.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Schwartzcough posted:

So why was she saying "IT moved" and "IT fell through the ceiling" when she clearly knows Cloud is a 'he'? And what's with the "...Sis, this one's a little weird"? I assume it was said by one of the grunts, since it has no name identifier- then who is "sis"? Aeris? Reno? That's a weird thing to say to either of them.

I always chalked this stuff up to bad translation, but these are such simple things that there must be more to it...

Well, I have no idea what "sis" is about, but if I recall Japanese tends to use a lot more gender-neutral pronouns than English.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I liked Reno's bald coworker better. Quiet and is a monster in combat.

That is a lot of light if it beams down like that. You are right about the power bills.

Rude is also awesome. They play off of each other really well.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Crowetron posted:

The Turks apparently got their own spin-off game, but apparently it was a Cell Phone game in Japan. Too bad, because no matter how lovely the FF7 EU has gotten, rollin' around the streets of Midgar with your buddies in bad-rear end suits, being smug-rear end secret agents would be cool as hell.

I remember that. I hear it's not bad.

Square Enix's marketing department baffles me sometimes. Surely they could have made it for portable consoles and gotten more revenue from the game that way. Yet, they're smart enough to know that people will buy "elixirs" that are just generic 5-Hour Energies with cool packaging en masse.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lance Streetman posted:

If I remember correctly, the game had a shitton of new characters that don't appear in any other game, along with quite a few new locations and enemy types not seen anywhere else. While Kingdom hearts is pretty much a license to print money, FF7 just doesn't sell things as well as it used to.

Square-Enix could slap their name on boxes of horse poo poo and otakus would still trample each other to buy them out.

Hell, that's been their business strategy for the past two console generations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The White Dragon posted:

They shoulda went with the HCE "aunty" :colbert:

"eh, aunty, who dis? try come wit' me"

This is the only way Reno could be improved.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NikkolasKing posted:

FFX had a pretty decent-to-good cast. The problem definitely lay in the voice direction, not the actors.

This is getting kinda off-topic, but why did they want the actors to match the lip movements of the characters? How many people would have cared? This ends up happening all the time, but the only time I've heard of a director trying to bend the English performances to fit the Japanese mouth movements is for FFX. Have I just not heard of all the other games where this happens, or was someone on that project just monumentally stupid?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

tarepanda posted:

Because it looks retarded if someone's talking when the mouth isn't moving. This is why people mock all of the old dubs of old Japanese movies; because people yammer on and on when the guy onscreen is obviously not talking.

Modern dubs match lips.

It looks retarded, yeah, but it's a commonly understood thing. If you're a normal person you're going to ignore it, or at most giggle a little. It's not going to detract hugely from the experience.

And modern dubs fix lips if it's in the budget, yes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

pointlessone posted:

Remember, this was the first time a lot of people were going to see fully voice acted scenes in a game. In order to not get stuck with the same attitude about it, the ADR director likely wanted to get it as close as possible. This was also about the same time that the anime boom was starting, so there was a lot of pressure to match those lip flaps on everything showing up out of japan.
Hm, didn't think about it like that. I was only ten or so when it came out, so I didn't have my fingers on the pulse of anything.

Still, when you noticed how bad it was making the performances... well, I'd at least brainstorm for other ideas.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Reno goes and rolls around in the dirt for a bit and gives himself some nasty bruises before he goes back to report his failure. As far as everyone else is concerned, Aeris is a hardcore brawler.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
^ That's pretty drat impressive. All I can do is talk fancy and be smarmy.

Dauntasa posted:

If you gently caress up with the barrels(which I /always/ did), then she just fights them.

I think I remember that from my first playthrough. I get the feeling this isn't the first time Reno's sent some redshirts after her and watched them get their poo poo kicked in.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bocc Kob posted:

Aren't Barret and the rest of AVALANCHE huge hypocrites? They're complaining about reactors harming the planet and plotting terrorist actions to disable them, but they're based in a part of Midgar where daily life wouldn't be possible without constant electricity. They should move out and live in the woods or something before they act all morally superior. Cloud is right to be a dick to them. :argh:

It's not that surprising AVALANCHE is a bit hypocritical. If they thought things through, they probably wouldn't be setting off bombs, or at the very least they'd be better at it.

Clearly, the founder of AVALANCHE was Mad Stan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D1sbonIHKw

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hiilai posted:

Chiming in to say cheers for LPing this game. FFVII blew my mind when I was a wee kid and it still is my favourite game. Like many others I started to play this game again thanks to this LP. It's almost a shame that no other game can evoke such a warm and fuzzy feeling inside of me again and again.

I was never too bothered by the translation, but I bet that's only because English isn't my native language. However I managed to stumble upon a very interesting article about Squaresoft and localization back in the PS1-era. I heartily recommend everyone to take a look, it helps to give you some idea why FFVII is the way it is. http://www.1up.com/features/squaresoft-localization

That's, uh, a bit of a dramatic article.

Honestly it never bothered me either. Then again, neither did FFT's. My brain basically has autocorrect for Engrish, unless it gets completely undecipherable. FF7's translation could have been way, way worse, even though it fails in fairly spectacular ways when it does.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

So Shinra needs it's military to protect these things, and they built a military powerful enough that the sheer military might would discourage anyone from even attempting to attack one.

You might be getting a bit ahead of yourself on that part (we've already seen four of these clowns get taken out by falling barrels, and Reno is lazy to the point that he'd might as well fight for us), but it really does make sense why they need to fund what amounts to an army to protect all their infrastructure. Midgar is huge and must cost a fortune to run, and we'll be seeing some of their other projects later.

V Don't want to spoil anything, but it'll become clear before long that Shinra has more numbers than talent.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 6, 2011

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This next part confused me very much as a young child.

Made for a hell of a second playthrough a few years later though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'd wager whatever is in the background is putting off fumes, and Cloud is just high as balls.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nohman posted:

Pretty sure it's a Final Fantasy VIII joke. I hate that game and still remember that godawful line years later.

I thought the only FF8 joke was the game itself.

Also, what would really make this part worth doing again for modern consoles would be different results for different items. Dress up Cloud in the best stuff, and he looks like some of the fanart here.

gently caress up, and:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Beautiful things.
Advent Children would have been a thousand times better if it were directed by Sam Raimi.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Elentor your voice is simultaneously intimidating and soothing. It's like a giant or a dragon is doing an LP and I love it.

I always found it odd that magic is so accurate in RPGs, honestly. Given how much time the users usually spend telegraphing it, you'd think their target would get out of the way.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dauntasa posted:

And you'd think that they'd move when a large sword wielding man charged at them, or that they'd stand farther than 10 feet away when they have guns. That's just how RPGs work.

No, see, they try to use their guns on the guy with the sword from ten feet away. Everything else can be explained by Shin-Ra not training their guards because there's no immediate return on investment.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This is one of my favorite parts of the game. There's nothing like when that plate falls the first time. I mean, heroes loving up is nothing new to Final Fantasy (FF5 immediately springs to mind), but watching the plate come down is just visceral and shocking, especially if the graphics were considered good when you saw it first.

Also, the Turks, as always, are awesome bastards.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It kind of makes you think. Perhaps a few tweaks here and there and FF8 and FF9 could have been good games.

One of those was good. :ssh:

See, when I thought rainbow text boxes, I thought of TWD's Star Ocean 2 LP. It was literally the same color scheme I always used in FF7.

Don't change it back. If you start giving into their demands now, who knows when it will end? Give in only to my demands, and you'll never be wrong (from my perspective).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wooo, Black Zepplin! :rock:

Anyway, I like the idea of "to gently caress" and "to eat" being the same word. It really streamlines the process of asking someone out on a date.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Star Man posted:

I would like to think that in languages where eat and gently caress use the same word or written characters that the meaning is usually clear in context. But you can turn just about any word or name into a euphemism for penis in context. Such as: "My girlfriend really likes the size of my White Dragon. So, after she got done stroking my Elentor..."

White Dragon works great, but if I heard someone shout "HEY SUCK MY ELENTOR!" I'd have no idea what they were talking about and probably assume they belong somewhere with padded walls.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A Lumberjack Bonanza is probably what the &$#% Room offers to regular guests.

Well drat, now everyone knows where I got it from.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 16, 2011

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
^ Worth noting he has a different username now.

Well, that derail went terrible places didn't it?

I can't remember for sure, but this is kind of the Turk's last display of competency, isn't it? I know in later encounters they are kind of gently caress-ups.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 16, 2011

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
See, the problem with the "it's not our world" argument is that it is a game presumably made for people in this world. There's no reason you can't make everyone dress up in kabuki or random scraps of clothing stitched together, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Did anyone honestly feel more immersed in FFX's narrative because everyone looked like a five year old that dressed themselves however they wanted?

Fashion can be a subtle, strong source of world-building, but only when there's a good reason why people dress the way they do. This way, it can reveal background information about a strange world, or draw you into the era if it's another time in our world. But if you're just dressing people up like idiots to make them look distinctive, there's no substance to that. It's just an illusion of depth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Oxxidation posted:

Amano's work was all glorified concept art, and at this time, which is an exciting couple of decades from the original FF, he's primarily a watercolor artist who does FF stuff as a hobby. He stopped being relevant vis-a-vis Nomura's colorblindness a while ago.

Pretty much this. Comparing Amano and Nomura is basically apples and oranges, though Amano probably would have produced his own share of weird poo poo if he actually had Nomura's role.

Not to mention, even if the older Final Fantasies had characters with silly dress, that's no reason why more thought can't be put into future titles. Nomura can definitely design realistic characters with plenty of style and flair, so I just don't get why he doesn't do it more often. If anything, you think it'd be more rewarding to make a distinctive, attractive design within a set of limitations than the sort of stream-of-consciousness crap he makes sometimes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
To understand where Nomura gets his designs, you don't have to look much further than Japanese fashion magazines. They make that one kid you knew in high school who spent way too much money at Hot Topic look like a guy going to church on Sunday.

I sincerely doubt that even the models dress that way outside of photo shoots.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Rainbow text boxes are the best.

The only time I've seen Rio in a movie was in The Incredible Hulk. Was that a decent representation, Elentor, or have you never seen it?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elentor posted:

If they're not gonna do it right, why bother doing it at all?

If you have to ask yourself this question, you will never work in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dauntasa posted:

President Shinra is easily final boss material. He could have had 150,000 Hp and an array of horrible, bullshit attacks. And he probably would have turned into a giant monster or a robot or something.

The world of a JRPG, where nothing is what it seems and some guy who you accidentally shoulder-check on the street can and will mash you into pulp.

• Locked thread