Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Thanks for this Elentor, add me to the people who started from page one a few weeks ago thinking 14k posts meant the LP was over. It's been a heck of a ride.

I know I beat this game back when I was 16, but drat I had to have serious reading comprehension issues. I totally remembered the big big spoiler completely wrong, and I seriously wonder if somehow I had a FF7 lite version or something. All I remembered was Aeris dies -> Godzilla -> blah blah blah life stream -> stupidly long attack that made me want to go make a sandwich or get a drink -> crap it's happening again -> end game. The amount of holes in my memory is really really insane.

Keep up the good work, there are other little bits I remember but it's real foggy, can't wait to find out actually happened on the rest of disc 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

muike posted:

It's Yakuza vs Super Pope. How could it be bad.

Saints Row IV will do his better.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I don't remember breeding chocobos at all when I played through. Looking forward to seeing all the tediousness (and I am sure awesome things) I missed out on. I played the crap out the sub game, but never bothered with the racing of the battle squares.

Edit: also while completely off topic, many many pages ago someone mentioned a skies of arcadia LP by Mr Vile. Was there a SA thread for this that someone can pm me the link to? I see it on the LP archive, but if there is a thread like this one, I would like to see it.

waah fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 17, 2013

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I am a couple pages late but did someone say a certain song sounded better in Mario paint?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk6pUFkl080&sns=em

Don't think I need to spoiler this because the song title was mentioned by Elentor. As usual all FF7 videos on youtube have spoilers in comments.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

All of this talk about lost odyssey reminds me I have a copy I never opened. I guess if it really is a good game I should give it a shot. I mean I bought it and Infinite Discovery at the same time and didnt play either.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

zenintrude posted:

Sell your sealed copy and buy a $10 copy of it used.

A hahahaha that seller's town is 5 minutes away from me. Maybe I need to check when I get home to see if my copy is still in my house.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

What about the Wakka/Lulu romance. :colbert:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Haha yeah 150 km/s is twice as fast as the fastest spacecraft we have ever built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_(spacecraft)

Screw the Shrina rocket, all Cid needed was an inbred gold chocobo.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

KataraniSword posted:

Not any more, they don't. I think the issue is that it's an independent artist on an art-sales website doing individual models, meaning whenever he sold his stock (very likely a single unit), that item was completely gone.

You may have been single-handedly responsible for getting that entire inventory bought.

I would like to at least see what dude had though. Seems like it musta been pretty drat cool if it got goonrushed.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

That loving Sned posted:

You'd better be ready to take out a mortgage once SE starts selling these themselves.

Pretty much this. It makes sense why dude got hit with a C&D, but I totally expect the exact same models (but crappier) to be on sale by SE for $60+ per model.

Actually they probably won't ever be sold because square thinks people only like the AC crap.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Man with this next update we are really approaching the end aren't we? What are you gonna do next Elentor when you finally finish a 3 1/2 year LP of FF7?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Elentor posted:

Hey come on, we haven't reached our third year yet.

I'll have to find something very interesting to do. My GoTo has been doing a blind run of FF12 (which I haven't played yet just in case I go through with this idea).

I started this LP mostly because I thought weird that there wasn't a single finished FF7 LP on the Archives. I wanted to pay homage to a game I liked, and I was scared to death it would suck. I never thought the thread would break 15k posts, though that's probably more due to me being so slow than anything. If I do another LP I'll have to do it very differently.

If l came across as anything other than a making just a little fun of you then it's my fault. I definitely didnt mean that this LP sucked at all, if anything you moved me from being someone who loved FF7, then listened to the haters, and now have you to remind me that the haters never paid attention.

You are doing a great job man and I figured the 3 1/2 year mark just gave you a little wiggle room in case life happens. We all think the updates are worth waiting for anyways.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Medieval Medic posted:

Solo character, initial equipment, no materia.

A cloud model swapped for the sephiroth model run and vice versa.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Pierzak posted:

Be careful what you ask for. Gaze at the PSP Tactics Ogre crafting system and despair :gonk:

Oh, this sword just needs sword x and two wootz steel ignots. This should be quick...

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Kaasen posted:

Also, I have a burning question to ask once the next update comes up. It's one of those cases where I can't tell if the impression I have of the game is entirely real or poisoned with loads and loads of speculative fanon.

Yes, if you breed 999 chocobos you get the option to take a feather from each one to make the chocobo mattress. The chocobo mattress is a super secret item that you have to get before you go to disc 3 in order to use it. If you start the final dungeon it's useless. You also need to have the villa purchased in Costa del Sol.

Once you get 999 chocobo feathers you take them to one of the shops outside the Honey Bee Inn at any time after Cloud comes back into the party. The guy who makes the dress will offer to make something super soft for you with those feathers. If you accept leave Midgar and come back then he will have finished his task and present you with a chocobo mattress. Cloud will ask what can he possibly do with this and no matter who you have in your party at the time, they will say something to the effect of "The villa in Costa del Sol would be a nice place for this."

Once this is completed make sure you have Tifa in your party and the third slot doesn't matter. Fly to Costa Del Sol with this party and once you get to the beach, Tifa will say "Cloud, you have come so far. I promise to be with you the rest of the way." Third party member will make an excuse to leave, (Cait Sith actually talks about going to play games at the golden saucer) and Cloud and Tifa go to the cottage. Tifa is impressed at how soft the chocobo matress is and Cloud finally decides to unfriendzone Tifa and have sex with her. The scene is really pretty awesome and exactly like you remember it.

If you try this after you started the final dungeon Tifa just says, "We don't have time to relax, we have to stop Sephiroth."

So yes, the chocobo mattress is a real thing.

Please don't actually do this I just wanted an excuse to try to see if I could make a convincing 1997 style gamefaqs rumor about FF7.

waah fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 7, 2013

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Kaasen posted:

Do you mean the part where depending on your relationship values the chocobo mattress sidequest can lead to boning Aerith's ghost instead of Tifa?

I love you man.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

That loving Sned posted:

His special command would be his laugh

Nah dude totally that jump instant kill move (accompanied by the laugh)

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Booties posted:

Don't feel bad, man. We just played the game the way they wanted us to play it.

Or you ended up like me, one of those jaded gamers who thought, "Status magic sucks, it never works on bosses. I better cast fire 3 again and hope I can out damage it."

Edit: old habits die hard, I am so bad at games

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Elentor posted:

Hey, I'll update sometime soon. Sorry for the hiatus. Busy and stuff etc.

Don't rush it. Good LPs sometimes have to take the fine wine approach. If nothing else we can always go back to arguing about which chick from the 2D final fantasies would have the largest cup size.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Woebin posted:

You guys are expecting too much effort regarding optional bosses. The base game already has a few, so a remake would most likely have recoloured versions of them with "Neo" in front of their names. Or just reuse bosses from other games.

Dr Wily was a Square-Enix employee all along.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Woebin posted:

I basically just punched some FF boss names into GIS as they came to me, it's kind of a low-effort production (much like most FF spinoffs). In retrospect I'm almost upset I failed to include Gilgamesh.

Don't feel bad, that means you put about the same amount of effort into it as SE.

We can justify that battle screen because every villian was J.E.N.O.V.A all along! Cells managed to crash on every world and manifest themselves as supervillians with terrible plans and/or the ability to show up only within the last hour of gameplay. We dont need a plot The plot will be streamlined out for a better experience and 10 years of development time will give us an amazing boss rush with breast physics role playing game with the ability to choose what outfit you wear before hitting x to win.

Fake Edit: Upper management just called and they asked if there was any way you could umm redesign Chaos with more flowing hair, fire in the background, and a half vest. He doesn't focus test well with our teenage girl Japanese focus group. Keep the wings though, those are great. Do you think you could make them more feathery? Thanks champ!

waah fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 3, 2013

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Out of all the other stuff and nuances I missed when I played through when I was a teenager, I somehow got this scene and comprehended it.

Poor Zack, square dont like upbeat heroes. If only you knew Vyse and Aika.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Blaze Dragon posted:

Zack, you were the best character. RIP. Cloud, I can see why you ended so messed up.

I hear that if you make Zack do enough squats during CC, you can get him strong enough to do an anime super jump to safety. No lie.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Question that probably will never have an answer, but what happened to the truck driver who was driving them to Midgar? Did he decide screw it I don't want this drooling kid in the back of my truck?

Or did shin-ra pretty much shoot the hell out of the truck, civilians be damned? (Knowing Shin-ra this is more than likely what happens).

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Come on, you guys aren't taking corporate synergy nearly far enough. Square-Enix still has rights to use Disney characters, so the FF7 remake would have Goofy and Ariel as DLC characters. Give Cloud a new romance option with a girl who has only half the female genitalia and god knows we are all hoping to have Goofy fighting J.E.N.O.V.A.

Hell maybe we can even retcon in Gidget as Hojo's apprentence.

Edit: and replace Cid with Baloo.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Mazed posted:

So, all of Wall Market becomes Disney cameos. Who's the guy you do the workout competition with?

Gaston?

Anyone who sings a song with the lyrics "You can see I have biceps to spare" would be at home in the gym at the wall market.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Anoia posted:

Forget the NES novelty remake, I would play the poo poo out of FFVII with SNES graphics.

Ah, the good old days... when a character getting brutally murdered just meant one sprite collided into theirs with a flash of light and a "thwack" sound.

Erm... Did Sephiroth just kill Aerith by jumping on her and spinning? I don't get it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Nihilarian posted:

If Square-Enix got Morgan Freeman to play Vincent, I'd forgive them everything.

This makes me wish Michael Clarke Duncan was still alive (rip) to play Barrett

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Really late to the what do you want in a RPG chat, but I don't recall anyone talking about the party NPCs being more than just boxes to spout lines of text to you. Even if they have motivation and characterization it means nothing if the other NPCs don't ever do anything outside of combat or cutscenes.

Examples: persona 4: everyone defers to you as the de facto leader, but it feels like they have more going in their lives than waiting for you to tell them it's their turn to kill blue slimes.

Mass Effect: while it's easy to hate on mass effect just walking in on your crew having some mundane conversations or them having conversations about how the elevators are so slow makes them feel like actual characters, even if some of their motivations are a bit contrived.

Chrono Trigger - the bond between Lucca and Robo is enough to make you believe, "Hey, they probably have normal conversations a lot when we aren't stabbing things for gold".

And bringing this train back to FF7, part of what the LP has done a great job of reminding me of is that all of these party characters are broken people. Cid probably drinks alone. Barrett might have actually cried when Marlene got kidnapped. The scene where Aeris had the bed made for them already further showing how she is becoming more motherly. Seeing Tifa struggle to keep her lies together. Those are the type of things that make your RPG memorable if you plan on making a story RPG in my opinion.

Sorry I was late to the chat, and sorry for the derail.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

That loving Sned posted:

It's Jecht. X-2 and the Ultimata guide linked the two games' universes together, and X takes place before VII.

Stupider things have happened in the FF series, especially quite recently.

So Tidus and Cloud are brothers? Maybe cloud really was just a spirit all along! How deep does this rabbit hole go! :tinfoil:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Happy Landfill posted:

I've actually always liked the theory that the creators were high as balls :v:

Thanks for the link. Lots of pages about FF that sometimes are funny and are the perfect time waster for a Friday afternoon at work.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I seriously don't even remember this part of the game. I thought you only went under water for the optional thing. It's like I only played half the game as a teenager.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Woebin posted:

Honestly thought just about everyone who played this game knew about materia chaining. That's how you have Fun with FFVII.

We were either not that smart, too young, or just liked hitting x because magic was dumb.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Since my memory is hazy as far as everything from here til the end battle, save one or two important things, are there any more super tough bosses that aren't optional bosses?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

hectorgrey posted:

Such a shame Square-Enix will likely never implement FFX's combat system in a game again, because of the backlash it received at the time. I liked it, personally.

I thought 13 had something really similar to FFX

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

My fault, I read that as the FFX sphere grid instead of the combat system.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I haven't played through FFX since it came out. I am really looking forward to the vita HD version so I can replay it. I don't know I am outing myself as just a terrible player, but I remember the lady yunalesca fight and the seymor fight on my gagazet to be brutal. Also I want to hate myself and try the dark Aeon fights that Elentor spoke glowingly about.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Cid is probably thinking some woman will screw the space plan anyways.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Thaddius the Large posted:

Which is why it failed, plus no kickin' rad guitar riffs.

Imagine how mindblown we will all be in 20 years when it turns out Uematsu was a ghost writer for Aerosmith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Man I musta hated myself back in the day. I *loved* the sub mini game. not sure if this needs to be spoiler ex but just in case, I played the absolute crap out of it at golden saucer. I don't remember what the reward was though, probably nothing good.

• Locked thread