Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rooreelooo posted:

on the topic of character design...

Why the gently caress does barret have a keytar in his official concept art, and why the gently caress doesn't he have one in the final game???

I think that's supposed to be a shotgun. He needed a second gun because having a minigun for a hand isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

That gif made me laugh more than I should have. You have to wonder if there is any element of FF7 that the EU didn't gently caress up.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

That is pretty drat horrifying. One of these days the "comedic" sidekick character will no longer be considered necessary.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Wait so Rikku came first? But FF7 came out first? I'm missing something here. :psyduck:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

penguinmambo posted:

I think overanalyzing outfits in X2 or KH would result in sometime timecube level posts from me and needing to get belted down to hospital bed for a few hours.

Good thing this isn't either of those threads.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

penguinmambo posted:

There's no X2 thread running and the KH one is mostly dead atm. Maybe I'll do up something there later.

I've got several major characters left to talk about but... well, one of them is not going to be positive. Elentor, have you picked up a handsome napping bloke yet? :v: I'm not seeing it mentioned in your trip to Cloud's hometown.

Chapters 38 and 39 dude.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Saucy! posted:

How do you even think this deeply about the way a character looks? Am I just retarded for not seeing these things?

Funny thing about character design that most people don't realize is that the design tells a story. Every element of the clothes or the character itself tells of that character's history or life. It's the same in real life. You see a person wearing long sleeves at all times, even in the summer, they've got something to hide, or you see large scars on a person's face or body, they've been through some tough poo poo.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Woozy posted:

Barret is as non-magical as they come. Despite using guns he's really more of a knight. I like Cover + Counter and HP Plus early on. I like to think of him as the Item User--W/Item and X-Item for attacking and healing non-magically. He just carries around hundreds of potions and grenades in his gun arm. He's a Knight with a Chemist Subjob, for FFT fans.

You could liken him to a ranged Steiner then? Pretty much a big slab of meat that gets in the enemies way.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

He had the badass sash thing, but then they gave him fishnets? I think somebody missed something somewhere in the new design.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

GrizzlyCow posted:

But not for Vaan or Ashe. In a desert environment, it is kind of important to wear clothes that cover most of your body. It isn't the air temperature that kills, it is the sun. That is why you see so many Middle Easterners with robes on.

Especially since Vaan seems to be wearing a metal vest. In the Desert.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Randalor posted:

For anyone who had the same knee-jerk spittake reaction to that link, yes, it's the same address as the crazy cult from about a decade ago. No, it's not the crazy cult anymore, it's an actual website now according to the person that blew the lid off of the "Hojo House" cult in the first place. The website now seems kinda interesting.

But not beneficial in any sense of the word.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

:stare:

Holy gently caress! Did they actually just kill off a main character?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elentor posted:

The ocean terrifies me and I love being terrified by it. My favorite physical activity when I was younger was swimming.

12 years in the BSOA have gotten me to appreciate swimming and have turned me into a certified lifeguard.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

After FF13's completely split reception and FF14's crash-and-burn I have to agree.

Wait, when did FF14 come out? It must have tanked hard for me not to even hear about it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

That cat-person now understands the pain of crossing two species that shouldn't be crossed.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Frocobo posted:

Oh god make it go away :gonk:

My fish lips are stronger than yours. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I'm honestly surprised that they kept the word poo poo in with Barret. I figured that, being the mid-90's T rated game that this is, it would have been censored like everything else or changed in some way.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

That sure was some mighty fine plot we had there. It feels really odd to be learning about Aeris' past right after she was brutally murdered. Course any time we have a character that important just up and die, any new information just feels wrong. Like we should be sharing it with them somehow.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kanfy posted:

I'm impressed, nobody made the obvious joke here.

Because it would be in bad taste?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elentor posted:

So yea, it's not a new release - rather, a heavily modded version of the Eidos port. General consensus is that they didn't even have access to the source code since the new things are made on top of the existing stuff. Regardless the version downloaded was a pre-release that Square claims is not final (it was supposed to be available only for further testing) so one thing or two may change.

Really if you expected them to put in an impressive amount of effort, then you would have been fooling yourself. This is a cash in, nothing more.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

GrizzlyCow posted:

You could always have a villain-protagonist. If you do that, you can make the player experience the character's descent into darkness. If done well, it should garner up sympathy for them, and of course, maybe make the player himself recoil with horror as you do more and more evil poo poo with maybe a flimsy justification for it.

Saints Row 2. You get a guy to murder his girlfriend in his favorite sport.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So... another idiot that couldn't read the op?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's funny how much the summons matter in each of the ff games. They seemed to be mostly flavor early on, but have gained actual story use since.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

DontMockMySmock posted:

This talk of the ridiculous encounter rates in FF7 reminded me of this old flash animation (minor spoilers about a recurring FF enemy). I thought this was absolutely hilarious when I was a teenager.

To be fair that is actually one of the few good flash videos about this game. The only other one I can think of is just a general FF flash called FF A+ or something like that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

:stare:

Holy gently caress. That is some drat good plot stuff right there.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That was speculation. whaaaaaat.

Just edit it out dude.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

NotCloud is Cloud? Is Cloud NotCloud then?

I figure Hojo would have said something if he saw the thing that he had made trying to stop is experiments before.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Two Finger posted:

Elentor, I have another question I want to ask but I know it veers into territory not covered yet.

Do I ask in spoiler tags, or hold off until we reach that point?

You pm him the question.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Do we know how Sephiroth is still in this jenova place if he died five years ago and now is half a Sephiorth? In fact, what's actually known about Sephiroth for certain?

If I'm following correctly, he was the best SOLDIER, went batshit crazy and then got killed. I'm really wondering how, if he was killed by Shinra, did he wind up in that chrysalis thing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Only problem is that the Temple was made by the Ancients themselves, so it seems like a lot of work for how few were left after Jenova.

The 24/7 work week does wonders for efficiency. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Wow, this is a really terrible derail.

I really do wonder what Hojo's plan at this point is supposed to be.

"Ha Ha, I've turned the everything into a weapon! Welp my work is done. Time to go chill at that beach with the girls because this can in no way be a bad thing."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

BioMe posted:

Dear lord please stop trying to justify the gameplay mechanics in the story. It's like seriously asking why the main character can survive multiple gunshot wounds in any FPS, and you should know by now that JRPG gameplay especially has always been an abstraction. Even in the games where things like healing spells do come up in the plot.

Sounds like someone tried to cast Silence in the middle of conversation. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

whitehelm posted:

Of course resting at an inn sets everyone to full health, so clearly they should've dragged her corpse along with them to Icicle Inn.

They clearly needed a cleric to raise her back, but given that Aeris seems to have been the only one in the world they are poo poo outta luck.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

IHatePugs posted:

So if you summon Phoenix when it's molting do you get a large free supply of its down?

Nah, the feathers have to be prepped in a certain way in order to work. Otherwise everybody would be trying to game the market.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ReturnOfFable posted:

If I remember correctly, this is when the plot starts to get really, really weird. That and that the gameplay starts to change.

So the massive twists before hand were just par for the course then?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's kinda cool that they got all this story out of an environmental message. I never knew that the trees actually suffered from having massive serpents impaled on them. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ReturnOfFable posted:

My hats off to all of you for keeping this thread interesting in between updates.

For a certain definition of interesting.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The White Dragon posted:

I demand they change the name of this materia, it's highly offensive.

Native materia? You wonder who gave some of these materias their name, since who the gently caress says, "This one is obviously an ENEMY SKILL materia."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

razorrozar posted:

e: vv Ah, cool! I never found him, but I was bad at sidequesting in X anyway. It seems pretty logical that there would be a way to harness the energy of pyreflies, and what's to say pyreflies aren't physical manifestations of the Lifestream?

Because he wasn't in X, just X-2. I think Brainweasel discussedthe theory in his lp of X-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I just realized that the Fort's shape looks like a whale. I wonder why?

• Locked thread