Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn you get Cosmo Memory from Lost Number. Spoilers in case you were gonna talk about it later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

TrojanHoarse posted:

Just wanted to pipe in and say that you're doing a great job, Elentor! I remember this game from so long ago and it brings back fond memories reading through your updates. I just wish I had stumbled upon the thread after it was finished so I could read it all the way through in one sitting!

Anyway, I'm waiting for your take on a few spots coming up.

I second these sentiments. It's been very informative, to the point where I'm still learning things from a game I've played numerous times. And I get to learn about Brazil at the same time. It doesn't even feel like learning!

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Serifina posted:

Wow. I hate to say it, but as far as I'm concerned, Cid's the second-worst character in this game. His character arc doesn't actually amount to much at all, and as a character, he's shares half his characterization with Barret (swearing constantly) and the other half is misogynist (or simply abusive) prick. Yeah, it's nice that he's a pilot but it doesn't actually really amount to much. Also, can someone tell me how being a pilot jives with being an expert in spear usage? Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I hate to tell you, but not a lot of weapons in this game make a lot of sense.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
God, I had the PC version as a kid. It was a glitchy abomination with an awful MIDI replacement for the soundtrack. I must have watched the second Nibelheim flashback sequence with Zack about 30 times, no exaggeration, because it kept crashing at the FMV that follows it and I was trying different ways to get past it. I finally found a way to get around it, only for it to crash at the next FMV, only the same trick I used wouldn't work.

It was so refreshing to play it for real when I borrowed my friend's PS1, and later when it came out on the PSN.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Twiddy posted:

I'm honestly surprised people disliked the the PC version. I didn't have a PS growing up, so that's how I played the game. Hell, I even liked the default controls. Got used to playing the game with one hand so I could sip my soda without issues.

The controls were admittedly pretty good, and could all be easily used with one hand. I liked them so much actually, that I used them for emulators when I started using those.

I also had graphical issues with my computer when I played. If I hardware rendering, there would be a thin green grid overlaying the screen that only went away during battles. Software rendering fixed this, and the graphics looked a bit better all around, but then it ran slow as hell.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Did you do the battle square legitimately, or did you use that trick that allows you to manipulate the slots?

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
It's $9.99 on PSN, at least in Canada. That's how I've been playing it lately. I never owned the original PS1 version

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
This next drat part. Probably the most important part of the game, but I have such awful memories of it. It's the part where my PC version kept on crashing, so I got to watch the whole scene over and over and over again as I tried different configurations to get past it.

When I finally figured it out, I was so excited... until the game crashed at the next segment and I gave up until I could get my hands on a PS1. Aside from that, I'm excited for the people who haven't played the game yet and have no idea of what's about to come.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Dr_Gee posted:

The original PC version had everything mapped to the number pad and it was great :psyduck:

Not too long after I got FF7 PC I was introduced to SNES roms. I used the same layout for that, which got kind of cumbersome after a while in some games.

Also, I mapped Y to the Y key. The only button I used my left hand for aside from frame skipping. I was strange

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Like most other Final Fantasy games, it's quite realistic to be able to beat Final Fantasy VII without grinding so long as you don't run away from many random battles along the way. But I still maintain that half the fun of JRPGs is figuring out how to break them

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Renoistic posted:

It's possible to miss most parts in WoR completely if you don't get the whole party together.

I thought you see the initial part of their story the first time you go to Kohlingen so long as you bring Locke with you. The WoR just wraps up the story. Or I'm completely off base and am remembering incorrectly.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Pineapple Salad posted:

It's been a while since I've played the game, so I could be wrong, but I think it's possible to accidentally skip the Kohlingen scene, plus the scene where Rachel is temporarily resurrected is completely optional.

Yeah, as the above poster mentioned, Kohlingen is actually optional even though the plot directs you there (I think somebody recommends starting there to look for Terra or something). And even then you need Locke along to trigger the cutscene. I forget sometimes that people play games differently than I do.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Sorry if I missed it or I just didn't comprehend your post, but what was the final top speed for Dirty? Or does it max out at 174 km?

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Elentor posted:

I started this LP mostly because I thought weird that there wasn't a single finished FF7 LP on the Archives. I wanted to pay homage to a game I liked, and I was scared to death it would suck. I never thought the thread would break 15k posts, though that's probably more due to me being so slow than anything. If I do another LP I'll have to do it very differently.

Well let me say that it has been well worth waiting for you to finish. This is probably THE best LP I've read. You've taken a game that is absolutely massive and with a huge fan following, and done it an immense justice in the end. You've gone through the game with such detail, whether it be story, game mechanics or general design, and not once have I found myself bored or scrolling to get through a section that I would otherwise be uninterested in. You show off ways to break the game for those who are into mechanics, and you are able to explain a sometimes difficultly understand story so that somebody like me who has played through the game multiple times ends still ends up with a greater understanding of certain plot points and nuances that I didn't before.

So in short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that this LP does not suck in the slightest.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I actually feel as though history has looked favourably upon FF8. You can tell Square understood that the Junction system was confusing due to the sheer amount of in-game tutorials. Compare that to FF7, which is a lot more straight forward even if you don't understand all the nuances. Plus the materia system is a direct evolution of the Esper system in FF6 so FF veterans grasped it quicker. The departure to Junction forced them to relearn everything.

But where I think FF8 has been looked upon favourably has been in the years since its release. People have dissected the game, and online discussions have shown people such as myself the specific applications of the Junction system. Suddenly people who spent their time with FF8 confused replay it with this new knowledge, and it fostered a proper understanding that didn't exist beforehand. But this may just be the general sentiment in my usual online circles. So many people didn't know about refining cards into items, or refining items into magic. A great deal thought that the only way to get magic was Draw grinding random battles and draw points.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
They are both items that you equip to learn magic. You require a certain type of point to level up and gain access to higher forms of magic. They both impart stat changes, although Materia the stat changes are only for as you have it equipped, whereas Espers impart stat bonuses at level up. Obviously there are a lot of differences too. Esper magic is permenantly learned on the character, whereas materia magic is learned to the materia, which can be moved to another character at any time. Materia also encompasses all abilities in the game that isn't Fight or Item, whereas Espers are simply magic. Maybe you'll disagree, but I see the lineage between the two.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
In Baten Kaitos Origins the main conflict of the game involves the push for a high tech society vs those who prefer a traditional, natural lifestyle.

The final dungeon is a giant, floating high tech city called Tarazed

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
The Silvites were way more advanced than the Valuans, but you spend even less time in the Great Silver Shrine than you do Valua.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
It's one of my all-time favorite FF tracks. I grew up with FF4 and that game features it pretty prominently which is probably why he thought that. But it's been a part of Final Fantasy since the very first game, when you cross the bridge at the beginning of the game. I think in most games after 4 it pretty much just appears in the credits.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Aside from breaking from most musical traditions of the series I quite liked the soundtrack of FF13. It's one of the only redeeming qualities of FF13 to me.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I'm like 90% sure that it's in the credits. I know for sure it's in the credits of FF6. I can't speak past 7 since I haven't beaten any past that

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Is it hinted at that Cait Sith is Reeve earlier than the reveal? Because I could swear that it's revealed to the player long before it's revealed to the party.

But maybe that's because I've known for so long that I just assume that the game tells you before this.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I just beat FF8 for first time over the last few weeks and noticed this similarity in music between it and FF7. At the 21 second mark. It's the main motif to the theme of FF7 but in a minor key.

http://youtu.be/V4jvol20r6Y

I also really liked that the eighth note intro that was in every regular battle theme in the series until FF7 made a brief reappearance in the final battle of FF8. As a lifelong fan I really appreciated that, even if I'm 15 years behind the curve on playing the game.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
It's not uncommon at all for a composer to self reference themselves in other music they do. Especially give the success of FF7 it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was an intentional nod to players. Even if it wasn't intentional, he might have had a melody in his head and didn't realize that he had already written it before. Professional composers write such large volumes of music, some of which never gets used in the project or medium it was written for, plus any other projects they might have on the go, personal or otherwise, it's not unreasonable to me that he could have forgotten that he had used something before. Commissioned composers have a much different connection to their music than their audience. They tend to not have as strong an emotional to their music because it's a job and it was written for somebody else. In the subsequent years Nobuo's has definitely embraced his music given stuff like The Black Mages, but this all being said, to me it sounds way too deliberate to be a fluke.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I'm curious how many people actually waited the first time they played. I know I didn't for sure. You get a subtle hint at the end credits in his menu pic floating, which it does for any character you failed to aquire in the WoR. But like most it was either the Internet or word of mouth for me to realize.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
But I tell you, when he remembers all his magic it's such a dick move to hear all these tantalizing tales about how great Meteo is and being fixed at 90 MP.

But it makes you feel wicked powerful at the end of the game when Rydia can throw it around like it's nothing. It'd still not that great because of its absurd casting time, but still.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Trivia posted:

For those of you that haven't figured it out or don't know, the reason that materia is called W-Item and not something like X-Item is because A) bad translation and B) Japanese read the letter W as "double" (ダブル), not double-you.

It's obnoxious for us English teachers.

This explains W Meteo at the end of FF4 as well.

Not that I took the initiative to find out, but I've been wondering about this for almost 20 years

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I think most people who played FF8 close to when it came out and were close to the same age as me (around 10 years old or so) hit a wall at Adel. I never played FF8 on my own until years later after we had the the internet to explain junctioning way better than the game does, but I played loads of FF8 with my friend. Summon-spamming your way through the game is a grueling way to play...

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Maybe I'm in the minority but while I'm excited as all gently caress for the remake, I don't really care if it keeps the spirit of the original. It would be nice if they did, but for me the PSX version will always be the definitive version, and however they decide to approach the remake, it won't take away from what made the game great to begin with.

But I'm the person who just bought a PS2 with three games that all currently have HD updates (FFX, DMC, and MGS2). Maybe it's the purist in me, but I much prefer playing the games as they were back then even if the remakes are objectively better.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

This is the first I've heard of any bad blood between the two as well. Gackt isn't quite the superstar he once was and I figured that was the only reason he hasn't been in anything in the last several years.

I like Gackt's music for the most part - in fact way back when this thread started we had a discussion of Malice Mizer. (this thread feels like it's been going as long as MM has been disbanded) But I'm glad he won't be in FFVII. I liked the rock music in Advent Children and Crisis Core but I don't want any rock or metal in FFVII Remake.

Is Uematsu still in a rock/metal phase? It all started with FFX of course and then he went on to found The Black Mages but I'm not sure if they're still a thing.

Uematsu's was always rooted in rock and metal. It long predates most FF games as I remember. As we got to the Playstation generation the technology allowed him to imitate it better, but I'm reluctant to call it a phase

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Congratulations on finishing Elentor, and thank you for sticking it through until the end. I've been here for the whole ride. I just wanted to say that taking on a game that people feel as strong about, and with as great a legacy as, FF7, is daunting. It's a massive game with a lot to cover do justice. You had to appease long time, nit-picky fans like myself, and at the same time convey to somebody new to the game why it's so highly regarded, what made it so special then and why it's still a great experience now. You absolutely nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
My vote goes to ADGQ 2013, Fabul sequence of the Final Fantasy IV run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcRcbi6GmSg&t=2751s

I won't spoil it but it's just so perfect, especially in the context of a live streaming event

• Locked thread