Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you stop playing VIII after disc 2, it becomes one of the best FFs. The problem is, persistent rumors that a "disc 3" and "disc 4" exist ruin it for some people!

I think people focus too much on Squall as "ugh I hate this game, the protagonist is awful" and that is, in my view, pretty shortsighted. There's a lot to like about VIII besides the protagonist who really isn't that terrible anyway. Let's remember, he had to deal with Zell all the time. You'd be an rear end, too.

also by god can you break the Junction system so hard.

I liked VII at the time I played it but I can't go back. Reading the thread and seeing the screenshots is enough to remind me. I played it on PC (this was a mistake) and PSX (this wasn't) and I think it did a lot of great things, setting the tone for the PSX FFs, but I think it's best left there.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cicadalek posted:

You mentioned there were people modding the original music into the PC version, has anyone had any success getting that working? I downloaded an installer that was meant to make the process painless, but it just hangs at 20%

I mean I should feel lucky the game is even working on Vista but I honestly can't tolerate the crappy midi versions of the music. I want to be nostalgic damnit

Honestly you're best getting the PSX version and using epsxe or pSX to run it. FF7 was such an early title - it came out before the Dual Shock, even, I believe - that it's pretty obnoxious to get running but it's quite possible. Plenty of guides are out there, etc.

I mean the PC mods sound neat, but the FF7 and 8 ports are seriously among the worst ports ever written, there is only so much polishing you can do.

George posted:

But FFXII is exactly what I want out of a modern-day RPG. It's my absolute favorite game of all time. Seriously.

I think the DSM-IV has entries on people like you.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

This thread has got to be the absolute worst no-spoiler zone thread I've ever seen :laugh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

This next scene is funny. It also led to one of Leovinus' many custom titles from his failure to update FF LPs on any sort of reasonable basis (or at all). While that isn't really noteworthy, I made the one in question that time.

(whether that makes it more or less noteworthy is up to you I guess! :v: )

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hypothesis Jones posted:

He shouldn't have to update more to prevent that, people just need to learn to follow the NO SPOILER rule on the first post no matter what game it is

yeah pretty much, maybe Zorak needs to come in here and hand out a zillion spoiler probations. He's basically like candyman, if you say Zorak into a mirror five times, he pops out of it and starts talking about Tomino and how you should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

(you should, too)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Elentor posted:

Honestly, FFVII's Art Direction makes me feel like a lovely artist.

I think this is what people mean when they talk about nostalgia for 2D hand drawn backgrounds; it's not so much the art itself on technical merit - but Square's art direction for the entire PSX FF trilogy was top-notch.

(and in my worldview, superb art direction trumps pretty much everything)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I would, but, y'know, Fist of the North Star. I'm sure you understand.

I'm not sure you understand just how good LoGH is if you're watching that over it. I mean don't get me wrong I've heard great things about Fist of the North Star, but LoGH is, I am willing to go on record here, the best show Japan has ever produced, animated or otherwise, and stacks up well against any other country's output. Even people who hate anime love LoGH.

poo poo now I want to watch it again. Back in a few weeks, gotta catch up with my Rosenritter bros.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe we can all guess where a Certain Someone stopped updating their thread.

might as well call this ff7.png

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

tarepanda posted:

The mat has more nonsense kanji that can be read as "pit trap." Gee.

Oh come on, that's hilarious.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

magikid posted:

I'm surprised how many people actually think Cloud was stiffed up the rear end in that scene. It's weird and creepy, but the mood seems to suggest a hilariously awkward event, rather than a traumatizing one. Cloud reacts as such as well.

CLOUD IS MY HERO GODDAMNIT gently caress OFF

are you implying all anal sex is traumatizing because I think that's pretty narrowminded of you!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Maybe you should follow the spoiler rules first, hm?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Starhawk64 posted:

Whoops, sorry about that, fixed it.
:ughh:

from the thread OP ...

* NO SPOILERS. I met two people this year who had just started playing FF7 and did not actually know anything, even the major events everyone knows about. So it's possible there will be one or two readers who don't know either. Don't talk about anything beyond what we've seen.

e: ok you refixed it now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm really glad that the only time I saw AC was on a demo loop at Fry's, on a PSP no less.

so I saw about a minute and a half of Cloud defying the laws of gravity in a spectacular fashion, then I went off to look at bigscreen TVs or something. Something tells me this is for the best.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Woozy posted:

You can always tell who "got" the junction system in FFVIII based on whether they complain about constantly having to summon GFs or complain about one-shotting bosses with Squall's basic attack. :v:

Yeah, it amazes me that here we are like 11 years later and people still have not figured out how to use the Junction system right.

It's not "Draw 99 of x" that's for drat sure. Item refine, Card refine, all that? Absolutely.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

But then you need to pour over FAQs to figure out which items or Cards refine into anything useful, and then figure out where to GET those cards, then play the drat card game for hours, etc. It's tedious any way you do it.

Edit: And unless you get all your Cards in the first area, you have to deal with those loving randomly spreading rules. UGH, I hated that poo poo.

You don't need to do any of that unless you're a champion min-maxer; it's easy enough to break FF8 irrevocably the first time you can take a few SeeD tests to score money to buy tents to refine into more powerful healing magic than the game expects you to have. Junction to HP and perma-limit break your way to Enc-None.

Also I'm pretty sure the game tutorial shows you Draw in a battle but then goes into no small detail on "and you can refine items, too." I think people remember Draw because they show you how it works in an actual fight, but it spends more absolute time on explaining refining. It's been a while but I went back to it a second time knowing not to Draw 99, and the tutorial is like "hey dumbshit, DON'T DRAW 99."

I won't pretend FF8 is perfect but it speaks more to player expectations that "it's an FF game I must painfully grind for everything" than it does to the actual game design which is "don't do that, jesus."

Patter Song posted:

So what's the problem?

Discs 3 and 4 never happened, FF8 owns

Admit the existence of those, sort of like the ALSO fictional Robocop 3? Wellllll...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VIII had Doomtrain, which means it had the best summon in the series, so there's that.

plus Laguna's limit break is the best in the series.

Even if you hate VIII you have to admit both of those are facts, so.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Pesky Splinter posted:

Like Squall has a normal belt to keep his trousers up, a belt that I've seen serve as a holster (in other movies), another random belt, and finally, three belts around his leg that serve seemingly no purpose whatsoever.
His zippers are where zippers would normally be.

I can't explain the random leg belts, but the two crossed belts that form an x-shape are probably supposed to be one, looped twice. It distributes the weight of whatever you have attached to that belt (say, a giant gunblade, or whatever) across both hips instead of hanging directly off one.

Of course considering the number of belt buckles I see, well :negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Pesky Splinter posted:

VII has some of the most memorable music of the series. My only complaint is the constant and countless versions of...that one song.

Oh what was it called? "One-Purpled Haze"? "Carmina Buranairoth"?

Whatever it was, I'm sure Elentor will come to it eventually. I'm loving the LP btw.

I like this post.

I also agree with you; when I first played it and finally heard that song in game, my response was really? THIS is what ... REALLY?

Still don't get how it became such a thing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't like that song. S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S is better, in my opinion.

:golfclap:

I agree that one is better.

I'll tell you the one that kills me is uh, SOME GUY's Welcoming Ceremony. This is mostly because I got stuck and kept looping around the drat place where it plays for like 20 minutes listening to the SAME SONG over and over and over and oadgfhdghfhargugh can't stand it now. My own fault, I guess?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I don't know about you, but my enjoyment of a game would not be altered in the slightest if I found out there were bosses that were referred to as "weapons".

I guess it's technically a spoiler, but would anyone really care to have that spoiled for themselves?

Doesn't matter, read the OP. The spoiler rules are quite clear. Yes, that means even trivial poo poo (like the name in question) shouldn't be spoiled, even if it's small, because otherwise it's "no spoilers except things that meet an arbitrary standard of not being big enough to worry about" and that's a whole big mess.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dauntasa posted:

I said nothing about the thing itself. But if you already know it, then there's no way it will be a surprise.

"If you already know what happens, it's not a surprise when it happens!"

I don't really think you're saying much here, chief.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

So, are all 2500 screens you've capped since the last update with the Rainbow scheme? :gonk:

Hahahahaha. Rainbow is the gift that keeps on giving.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Bocc Kob posted:

Yeah, those spell-refining abilities to max your stats without leaving the menu were so hard. :argh:

Hey don't forget item and card refining. Draw is for scrublords.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

zenintrude posted:

This was always an annoyance... back in '97 I'd assumed that it'd become somehow useful (or required) later on in the game, but no. Pointless item you're carrying along for the ride.

You see, your characters always carry their initial equipment so as to ensure in cutscenes when these weapons are used you aren't breaking ~the immersion~ by equipping a weapon you don't have in your inventory. Therefore,

:goonsay:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You upgraded your weapons in VIII using spare parts and random bolts you found after killing pterodactyls and whatever else. Rather than have the player wonder "just why does every small town and village in this world sell highly obscure huge swords and gun-arms and the like," as in FF7, VIII was basically the prototype for the Synthesis system in IX.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Of course this still raises the question why pterodactyls are carrying machine parts and poo poo.

The only people who would seriously ask this question are the kind of people who would ask why small towns stock massively powerful weapons and armor, so I'm not sure what the point is.

Yeah, that's half the joke. At a certain point you just have to accept RPG genre conventions and move on, I say.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Unless your soundcard has its own MIDI synthesizer or whatever, and few do (see the Roland MT-32 etc) MIDI will get passed through to your OS. I'm probably using the wrong terminology here, but basically very few soundcards have their own proper MIDI setup, most of them just do it the same way Windows does, badly.

It's actually kind of obnoxious - I was doing some tests recording DOSBox with MIDI music output (general MIDI) and Soundblaster 16 sound effects, and I could record the video and sound effects in one file, the MIDI in another. Dumb.

so I got MUNT and now DOSBox believes it has an MT32 and does it all properly in one file :)

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 26, 2011

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

How to get FF7 working on my Windows 95 (or 98SE, I forget honestly) machine.

I tested this, I poo poo you not, every step required:

1) reboot.
2) change resolution. Doesn't matter what, just change it.
3) open FF7 config program, run video/sound/etc config tests.
4) launch game.

Step two really made me go :psyduck: for a while but I legitimately tried it every other way and it really WAS required. And having to run the config every single time, I don't even know.

I did figure out that basically if anything touched the sound stack - say, running Winamp - prior to launching FF7 PC? CRASH. What the hell Eidos, seriously.

VIII just straight up didn't even work. Ever.

worst PC ports ever made.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Thunderfinger posted:

Why do you still have 95?

I don't, this is how I had to get it to work back then, like, when it was brand new. The solution is so batshit insane it has been burned into my memory forevermore. Probably my Voodoo2's fault.

I only have Vista/7 machines now. If I want to run some old poo poo, that is what VMs are for.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Obviously we need to talk about gunblades :smugdog:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the amber trap posted:

I thought the gunblade talk was a joke about how horrible gunblade arguments are. :ohdear:

It was, but then Dauntasa posted. He didn't get that title for nothing. I admit, I opened this thread, saw the posts after mine, went :ughh: and filtered for Elentor's posts.

e: vvv he also invented flavor-infused vodkas in his spare time!

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 5, 2011

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Also, Hojo is a master troll, even if he doesn't know it.

It's hard to say at this point in the game but I'd be interested to see whether people think Hojo knows he's a troll later in the game once you see more of him.

there's one scene which completely seals the deal though, now that I think about it. Well, never mind! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

whitehelm posted:

This No-Level FAQ has a little section near the beginning giving the best junction magic at different points of the game. It requires a lot of card playing though.

You really don't need to do all that poo poo. Gus Hobbleton is on the money. Get RF-Item Refine or whatever and go to town. Your HP max will be like eight times what the game expects so you can sit in the yellow limit break zone (and still have more absolute HP then you 'should') and renzokouken everyone.

I mean, Card refining and refining in general is how you powergame that system, but SeeD Test FAQ -> money -> Tents -> Refine -> Party time. Use the Card command in battle, don't bother with the game unless you like it (there's something to be said for it unless the rules are on Random, in which case ugh)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

No spell needs more than 4 characters in its name.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

kalonZombie posted:

Sephy

Get ooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Also I have An Opinion about party makeup but it won't matter for a while, so for now go with whoever gives you the funniest dialogue in the next few scenes. That's the key!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

Parasite Eve was based on a novel of the same title. It's Xenogears that was a first draft.

Novel by way of a movie is how I heard it. So of course, when they tossed the idea around about making a movie of Parasite Eve the game it would've been a movie based on a game based on a movie based on a novel.

There is no :psyduck: large enough

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0071 posted:

That is so terrible.

It should obviously be FF0000 0D.

:golfclap:

As for the Cloud renaming stories, there's at least a couple people I know who, hm, let's say their choice of character name in KOTOR made for some confusing moments later in the game. Same thing, basically. Someone does it in every game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dauntasa posted:

Welcome to the PSP. Everything is filled with horrible lag because Sony intentionally throttles things to extend its pathetic battery life.

Welcome to like eight years ago when the factory soft underclock of 222MHz was raised to 333 and every game since then has run full speed, but sure, whatever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I assume you're only discussing party members other than Cloud, because, well, I think he gets some time too ;)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Magicpokey posted:

I always used Cid and Vincent in my first play through. But then again, I was 15 so don't take anything I did as any sort of useful advice.

On a slightly different note, how hard would it be to port FFVII to the iOS? I think an iPad port of the game would be awesome, even if it would be one he'll of a big download. How big is the psn version anyway?

It'd be very difficult. Yes, the PSX is a known quantity at this point, but the system architecture between the A5 and the R3000A is wildly different and that means hard to do. Not impossible, but hard. Let me say this - it'd probably be easier to just ground-up build a new iOS game that happened to be FF7 than to port it. And that's not cheap.

And seeing as how Sony hasn't taken it to, say, the Playstation 3, which can run PS1 games with no trouble? Probably not going to try and port it to an incredibly different system architecture for a lot more money on a platform that isn't theirs where Apple would be taking a 30% cut.

My suggestion? If you want portable FFVII, buy a PSP. :)

If I remember correctly the PSN version of VII is about 1.3GB.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ulmont posted:

The answer is..."probably." The iPad uses a 1GHz dual core CPU. The PSP uses a 222MHz chip.

333, actually. Early PSP-1000s were soft-underclocked to 222 for battery life concerns. I'm pretty sure they all run at 333 now or you can easily fix the clock if you want. The other thing you didn't mention is it's an R4000 chip in the same family as the PSX's R3000. That helps a lot when trying to do emulation.

e: "However, with firmware update 3.50 on May 31, 2007, Sony removed this limit and allowed new games to run at a full 333 MHz.[132]"

thanks wikipedia

ulmont posted:

The iPad could almost certainly emulate the PSX though; I seem to recall Bleem! running on a 333 MHz PC back in the day.

I wouldn't say "almost certainly" just based on a CPU clockspeed comparison. The entire rest of the system architecture of the A5 is very different from the R3000 and the x86 CPU Bleem was running on. While I agree it's probably technically possible, consider a Super Nintendo, and emulating a Super Nintendo took - for the really advanced games - a Pentium 233. That's something like sixty-five times the raw clock cycles of a SNES CPU. PS2 emulators basically don't run well without a quad-core and a monstrous video card, when in raw system terms my phone is more powerful than a PS2. Software emulation is really weird sometimes about resources, because system architecture matters, a lot, and even for the tiniest drat things:

Consider the 360, which used to have the CPU and GPU on separate dies. The current model does not - and that means data is transferred between them a microscopic amount of time faster. This actually breaks some 360 games, so they had to add circuits specifically to slow down transfer of data between CPU and GPU so the timing would be identical on all models. A software emulator has to account for that, too. It's ridiculous anything gets emulated, really.

The best solution, which isn't an option for the iPad obviously, is to reuse hardware if you can. Hardware emulation is a breeze, comparatively speaking. I believe the PS2 used the PS1 CPU as an I/O controller or something, so when you put a PS1 game in it just executed your code on a PS1 processor, but when you played PS2 games it got retasked to do something else. But as we saw in the early models of PS3, sometimes that gets expensive, so there are always tradeoffs.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2011

• Locked thread