Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Algernon Quazar posted:

I always thought it was really weird that in the back of a reactor in the middle of nowhere, there's a door with Sephiroth's (supposed) mother's name on it and he's just like "I guess my mom's just sorta sealed behind this huge iron door in a power plant, surrounded by monsters" and doesn't think anything of it at first. It almost seems like some kind of oversight.

Did you miss the part where he had a mental breakdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I apologize for the derail, but my roommate's been reading this thread, and now he's really interested in breaking the junction system in Final Fantasy 8.

Does anyone have a guide on how to do this?

Refine tents, junction to HP. Laugh.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Captain Bravo posted:

Warning, extremely spoilery for a certain endgame enemy, do not watch if you've not played the game.

Go to this dude's page, and look in his videos. He's got one where he starts with lucky 7's firing off.

Two cars drag racing in pitch black conditions is a spoiler?

*EDIT*
NM, found it.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Elentor posted:

It's not like we didn't just completely destroy one of those.

Yeah, but you didn't mount its head on a loving stick on your front lawn.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I still think the best part about that fight, and all fights with the Turks, is Rude's exit.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I always felt this whole story arc was incredibly contrived- either everyone had refused to talk about his father "just because," and Red XIII jumped to the assumption that he was a coward (but still dead, since Red XIII said he was the last of his race), or people had straight-up lied to him about his dad.

On the other hand, I remember the music making the reveal scene a decently emotional moment in the game.

And since it wasn't linked in the chapter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8myeNrgt9o

Would be a hell of a lot better if it weren't midi. I'd forgotten how bad the good music sounds in this game.

*EDIT*
Well speak of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4bEPxULwME&feature=related

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 30, 2011

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How do you get new limits, exactly? When I played this years and years ago, I rarely got 2nd level limits before the second disk.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ah, I never knew how limits were gained. Also, I seem to remember almost never ever having my limit bar fill for whatever reason, probably because I played so defensively (as in, permanent reflect on all party members as soon as that becomes possible sort of defensive).

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was on a lovely computer so the game ran like rear end. That bike sequence was hilarious though because it TRIED to run at full speed, but the frames only updated once or twice a second. I eventually got stuck at the end of the second disk when the FMV crashed. I went online to look up a solution and the official square response was "welp, here's a save right after that!"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Man I must have had some special hacked version of the PC port because my music sounded exactly like the Playstation version and the graphics were fantastic in comparison. The only problem I ever ran into with it was the cutscene where the weapons are released caused the game to crash and the official fix was "gently caress, we got nothin, here's a save file for just after that." Also my controls were absolutely remappable and in fact they defaulted to gamepad controls. I got it around the time the game came out so it wasn't like this was a redone port a decade after the fact, but was there a first run that was just absolutely terrible and then a quiet re-release a few months later or something?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Which, again, is weird, because I remember listening to that one on my PC version and thinking "huh, how did they get vocals in a midi file?" I figured they had some custom instruments or something.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That was Kinetic Void, right? Or am I misremembering?

*EDIT*
Yup, that's the one. It's on Steam! Get early access now for only $19.99[/shamelessplug]

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was the opposite. Why hit a dude with a sword when you can hit him with lightning for like 5 times the damage? Everyone knows that wizards are better than warriors.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What, you mean like the moon is to earth right now in real life?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

FillInTheBlank posted:

The Moon is actually very slowly moving away from Earth.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser.html

But there is still a force, akin to magnetism, acting on the moon, which is the point I was trying to make.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've mentioned this before, but the original PC release of FF7 had a bug where the game would crash during the cinematic where the weapons are released. The official solution on Square's website was to shrug and upload a save game for immediately after that cinematic. FF7's release was also the time when my older brother decided he REALLY like to gently caress around with computers and so formatted our hard drive once every few days without backing anything up. I played through Midgar so many times that my playthrough of that part of the game looked exactly like modern world record speedruns.

I guess it isn't entirely terrible that the end of my game was the bike sequence.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

KataraniSword posted:

It was less "subtleties" and more "the foreshadowing and connecting threads were all hidden in NPC dialogue and in-game help files you'd have no reason to bother with". And there was a halfway in-depth, completed FF8 LP!

...It was Azure Horizon's. :negative:

Was there one? I looked through the lparchives and didn't see it, and I'd like a quality FF8 LP. I was actually considering getting it and playing it myself again with a walkthrough and poo poo so I don't miss stuff but if I can get an LP I'd rather do that.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Xander77 posted:

He got banned for mentioning that when his straight friends get drunk with him, he molests / rapes them.

Oh right I remember that, vaguely. I don't pay a lot of attention to forum drama like that so I didn't even recognize the name.

Thanks. I didn't even know there was a master list.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Even Vivec is tiny compared to Daggerfall. But then again, almost every single house there was a hollow cardboard box with no interactivity or features. And the city was entirely flat.

But it was big!

*EDIT*
That is, Daggerfall in the game Daggerfall was huge. Didn't play teso but it's probably about a dozen buildings and an auction house in that game.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
When I was a kid I used to rent games from video stores, and Mario RPG was one of my favorites before I broke down and bought it. Of course, with video stores, they only let you rent the game for like a week at a time, which meant I had a limited amount of time to finish the game. Because of that, I ran from nearly every fight I could because they were taking too long. I was severely underleveled, and by the time I got to the Axem Rangers, I couldn't possibly beat them.

So when I played FF8, I didn't realize it had the scaling monsters mechanic, and I intentionally avoided the enc-half and enc-none abilities because of my experience with Mario RPG, figuring they would leave me underleveled and unable to finish the game at some point.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BioEnchanted posted:

What? No it's a bouquet. I'll just assume that :thejoke:

SOMEONE didn't play awful fantasy III.

Not that I can blame you; it was something awful.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Someone should make @ff8_on_lsd and just gradually post the entire, unedited game script

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I still want to play through FF8 again for some reason.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The subject always verbs the object, no matter what order they come in.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
And in that example sentence, the man is the subject of the sentence, and the dog is the object, because the man is the one acting on the subject. :eng101:

Then there's a lot more complicated stuff you could talk about in there like verb phrases and poo poo but I barely remember all the details on that stuff.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NikkolasKing posted:

But there's no real way to avoid it. It's like, if we were talking dramatic villain father reveals in all of fiction, how would we go about mentioning Darth Vader?

Star WARS SPOILERS. It was amazing how Vader was Luke's father wasn't it?

By virtue of simply naming Star Wars in the topic of antagonistic dads you are giving away the plot twist that the work contains a villainous patriarch. In this particular discussion we were only talking about JRPG Main Protagonists having evil dads. So by virtue of saying FINAL FANTASY IX SPOILERS you are giving away the plot twist about Zidane, even if you put the rest of it in spoiler tags.

Of course this is all really silly, as these games are over a decade old, but I went into some of these games relatively unspoiled in spite of how long they had been out and I'm glad for that. I don't want to potentially ruin anyone else's experience.

Because there were like 5 bazillion characters in Chrono Cross, and plenty in Star Wars for potential father drama. Saying "Hey, there's daddy drama involving an antagonist in Star Wars" doesn't necessarily spoil anything. It could be Luke, it could be Han, it could be Leia, it could be Chewy, and who knows what the nature of it is. Maybe Obi Wan killed Luke's dad, gently caress if you know. You aren't going to ruin everything by revealing that, hey, Chrono Cross involves drama involving a character's father. And if THAT ruins Chrono Cross for someone, then it was going to be ruined by something else anyway.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

R66-Y :colbert:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I got stuck by that bug too. I went and looked it up, because I had no idea how to get around it, and the official fix was "we don't loving know, here, have a save file for right after that part."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Maybe the PC release version was different, but I remember FF8 taking you into the menus and SHOWING you junctions and how they increase your stats and poo poo, and explaining how GFs gain new junction abilities as they level up, so I never had any confusion whatsoever. Maybe they didn't do that on the console version for some reason?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This thread became a lot more clear after I remembered that I installed a word filter addon in my browser and filtered the word "butt" to "butt".

Elentor posted:

Red XIII: "Thanks, Butt..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HenryEx posted:

Actually, he(?) edited his post afterwards to include that Red quote. The plugin changed his original post upon the edit.

Yes that is exactly what happened. I didn't consider that when I made the edit.

• Locked thread