Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I played the hell out of VII in my day, and again through it with a buddy years later. Loved the game; never got into any of the others. I'm really enjoying this LP, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Dos posted:

Sector 7 was an inside job - http://loosegil.com :tinfoil:

Except in this case, no :tinfoil: needed!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nidoking posted:

I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones, and there are some good ones I didn't mention because I really don't like them.

White Wind is pretty drat awesome

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Simply Simon posted:

I think my sense of difficulty is completely hosed up.

The gunners didn't give me any trouble whatsoever. I had to do them twice (more on that soon) and there wasn't a single instance where I said "hey, that could have been dangerous". And I was far behind you in limits and levels.

Rufus, on the other hand, simply killed Cloud the first time around. I had forgotten to equip cure on him :downs:. Really stupid, but you make it sound like you could just spam him into oblivion; before I could do that, though, he'd have me killed. Level too low, HP too low, I'd have to heal. And Potions can just barely keep up with his shotgun and the panther/dog/forgot. If he crits, that's a race I can't win.

Very strange. The minigame is lovely with bad hitboxes, but I didn't mind it at all because being bad at it mattered jackshit. The music is drat awesome, I grant it that, and the sequence, while ridiculous, is also really cool. This is the best part of the part of the game I saw.

I had this problem when I played, too. Maybe it was just my playstyle. I never had too much trouble with the bosses in this game, but Rufus was probably the hardest fight I can remember in the entire game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TooManyUzukis posted:

Advice: use magic. Even after stealing the Hard Edge, a simple bolt spell does more than a standard physical attack. Don't know if it was always that way, but drat does it make a difference.

Motherfuckin' MAGIC.

My memory of this was that magic dominated until very late in the game, when Attack took back over. But I could be misremembering.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That seems right, with the 2x/4x cut and such. Hades->added effect is great fun too!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Demicol posted:

I dont think that bridge background is unique, isnt there another part of the game where you fight on a bridge? I think they just re-used that.
E: With slightly different colors that is.

Over by Corel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I feel like I'm getting so much more out of this now then when I actually played the game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cuchulain posted:

Added-Effect+Hades is what all the cool kids do. You do want to be a cool kid, right? :colbert:

Yeah it's pretty awesome.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

West is the Best

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doc Uzuki posted:

With everyone at 99 he becomes arguable tougher than the weapons.

Definitively not true.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

George posted:

There's a cutscene that I think only plays on disc 3 if you go kinda far out of your way. It explains a significant portion of the backstory for like four major characters and is 100% skippable. It's almost malicious.

Yeah, that was a design decision I never really understood.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zenintrude posted:

Link to this video? I've beaten the game several times but I've forgotten what this might be.

It's not an FMV.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zandar posted:

but I think he may actually be talking about a scene involved in getting one of the ultimate weapons.

It's been a while, but that is indeed what I believe I am talking about.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zakharov posted:

HUGE FREAKING SPOILERS

Oh, yeah. That scene. I have no idea why that is a missable scene.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elentor posted:

The interesting thing about LPing this game is that I'm sure it will be a fresh experience to a lot of people who've played it before too. The plot of the game makes sense, but it gets extremely convoluted very soon. I imagine that for someone who haven't played the game it's even hard to imagine how it can turn complicated from the point we're in, since it's been very straightforward until now (pursue Sephiroth).

This is exactly the case, as someone who's played it a couple of times and is generally familiar with the plot :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

berryjon posted:

I've always suspected that non-naval mass transportation was simply absent in this world/game. As you said, there are no roads, unlke FF8 where there were Rail lines everywhere. There do, based on certain events, seem to be plenty of dirt trails that people still use, with the occasional car/

We do see major and regular transport between Costa de Sol and Junion via boat, and the backstory to what comes next implies that there is plenty more naval shipping going on that we don't see.

Air travel, however, seems quite anemic compared to ours. There are exactly 4 flying objects in the game that we see. The Rocket, the Tiny Bronco, the Cessna at Costa de Sol, and the Airship (not a spoiler, as it's been mentioned in-game already).

Now, the Rocket is out as a means of global transportation, while the Cessna and the Tiny Bronco are both too small to be of any use moving more than one or two people around at a time. That leaves the Airship, which is implied to be a unique craft, whose cargo capacity is something that will come up much later.

In all? It seems to me that Shinra's wars have advanced technology so far in advance of the infrastructure we in the real world would normally expect to see to spport them, that they are glorified toys, or in a small few cases, actually given pracitcal use. The exception being the naval transport ships, which even Rufus rides as there doesn't seem to be anything better.

Honestly, why would you even bring that spoiler up? I know there's been some discussion of it but it's just asking to get moused over for no real reason.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Man, I always found the Battle Square brutally hard.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glad to see this is back! And I'm excited to see the other date scenes, I never managed to get them when I played the game. Always heard about them, though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

As we keep advancing through this LP, I'm consistently surprised at how much of the plot I don't actually remember. It's really refreshing, and because I've played through the game a few times and know the fundamental plot points, I'm really getting a lot out of seeing the guts of the story. It's really enjoyable.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nailing the style 100%. That was brilliant.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I remember not having too much trouble with the Demon Wall, definitely tough, but not that bad. Then I loaded up my friend's save and goddamn I see where the complaining comes from.

Also, I agree with the sentiment that the (more-or-less) Princess Guard 1-shot was the best of the videos.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I really appreciate character design chat :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Macaluso posted:

We're almost at the location that has one of my favorite pieces of music in the game :dance:

I agree :dance:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I remember the first time I saw this scene, I was shocked. Elentor, you did it justice. I would hop on the bandwagon though for a video that goes into Aeris' theme - it makes it even more intense.

Can You Hear the Call of the Planet is the best song, too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zenintrude posted:

That's not even all of them, just ones I was investigating based on Phoenix's description and location...

For example, I left out this beauty that was mentioned a couple dozen pages ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Ultimate-Guide-Versus/dp/B000M8196Y

This was a really good guide.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I've never seen the Barret date, only heard about it. That was hilarious.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This is one of the game's flaws, I think. It's an incredibly important part of the plot, and it's presented in a rather boring manner. I could be wrong, but I remember skipping through this section much faster than I probably should have when I first played it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Booties posted:

Seph is agent smith.

Why would you do this?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

George posted:

There is no excuse. If you're confused and you played the game before, don't loving post at all.

Exactly this. It's not hard to not post spoilers, just don't post.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Man, I had totally forgotten about the Key Plot Info that you get here. I think one of the reasons that people have a hard time keeping track of this game is

DoctorTristan posted:

Ultimately the confusion stems from the fact that the writers not only decided to have two mystery villains manipulating things from behind the scenes, but went to great lengths to blur the distinction between the two whenever possible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elentor posted:

This can only be narrated by one man.

George Ledoux.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

1) Your writing in this update was hilarious.
2) I don't think I've ever seen the "generic NPC end-of-the-world dialogue" before. pretty nifty!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gharbad the Weak posted:

You call Ungarmax the best limit ever, but there isn't a picture or gif of it. Did you accidentally leave it out?

You can click the boss images for youtube links.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm sure no one else cares but could you elaborate on the math joke for us laymen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banach-Tarski

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That was pretty much the best guide.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I remember this being my least favorite part of the game, so many :words: that just didn't make sense. But on this trip through the game, now that I understand the plot a lot better...I've been hotly anticipating it. And you're doing a great job.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yessssssss this update. I remember really disliking this part of the game the first time through, but I'm going to chalk that up to 1) being 12 years old or whatever and 2) having named Cait Sith "Zack." I've since read plenty about the scene and the plot, and I've been really looking forward to the detail that Elentor was going to put into this scene, and I was not disappointed. :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ablative posted:

You can't chain more than two materia in FFVII, that was about Path of Exile.

Materia chains aren't materia links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silegna posted:

I agree with this as well. A then and now comparison. Or, "How not to do it".

Yeah this would be good.

• Locked thread