Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Hey guys, awesome thread. :)

I went through some of my old stuff and found a tin whistle I got at some historical place gift shop:

It's a little different from the others in this thread, the mouthpiece is metal with a block of wood instead of plastic:

D'ya think it's adequate or should I get a proper one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

info

Thanks!
It can make a fair enough sound on the lower notes but on the higher ones it sometimes does some harmonics/overtone type stuff. It might just be me though, I can do that on my sax so I guess I need more practice controlling my whistle.
Today's mah birfday so I think I'll see about ordering a new whistle. :toot:

I also need help identifying some sort of reed flute that my grandfather gave me a long time ago; I'll post pics and stuff later today.

Thanks again TTFA and withak

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Welp, here it is:

7 holes, plus thumb-hole on the other side.
Very airy sound.
The end is closed off, so the first 6 holes+thumb hole covered is a low note, but cover all of them and it's a high note.
I haven't been able to pull off anything more then Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but my sister picked it up and straight away played Ye Banks and Braes O Bonnie Doon.
I've had this thing for like 14 or 15 years, I think grandad said it was from Turkey but it doesn't match anything I've searched. It could be just some touristy thing.

• Locked thread