Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Discovered this thread 2 months ago, and it helped me discover a previously unknown love of Irish trad music. Been listening to almost nothing else since. I've been tootling around with a Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog whistle for a month or so, and just opened a Doug Tipple flute for Christmas this morning. :toot:

Shame I can't make a sound come out of the drat thing, but hey, I'll get it eventually.

This thread is seriously awesome, by the way, so much music I had no idea existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Hey music thread. I really wanna learn to play Irish music on a 2-row button accordion, mostly inspired by listening to Beoga. Looking around, it's hard to find info on a good source for beginner accordions that don't cost $1000+. Does anyone have some brand/model recommendations for a budget of about $300?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Was afraid of that. I can technically afford more but I have a hard time tossing serious money on an instrument I haven't played before and don't know if I will stick with. Is there a good guide out there for buying used accordions so I don't get a stinker? Irish style accordions seem to be pretty rare in my area so it's looking like Ebay if I don't want to break the budget too much.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the response. I guess I thought $300 would be enough since that seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of "cheap, but good enough to decide if you like it" instruments like guitar. Looks like I'm going to need a bigger commitment for this one. One of these days my bank account will be full and I'll be listening to Paddy O' Brian or something and whoops, I own an accordion now.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot about this thread for a while; just wanted to say thanks for all the great tips! I'll have to see what I can do.

• Locked thread