Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If you want something more flexible and chromatic than a tin whistle but still pretty cheap for a decent one and fun to play, get a recorder! This is surprisingly playable for a plastic recorder, and is what I started with. The alto version of that I think sounds better (less squeaky more rich range) but it is bigger so it is harder to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Ive always wanted some sort of concertina or accordion type instrument, but wonder if the cheap ones are any good at all. How much am I looking to spend on a servicable one?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Stand by, this is going to be a long one. I'll try to give you the wave-tops and not get into undue detail until you give some indication of what direction you want.

Accordion and concertina are conceptually similar, but have somewhat different feels, have very different musical roles, and the communities of players don't really cross over that much.

:words:

Thanks for all the useful info.

To be honest, I really fell in love with squeezeboxes from two sources: french
accordion music (old school waltzes and also things like Yann Tiersen, the Amelie composer), and new school tango bandoneon (like Piazolla). I've played a piano accordion, but the drat thing was just too drat big. I'm only 5'6" and I want something more manageable size wise. Would I be able to manage with a concertina finding some sort of sound more full than just melody without having to resort to a big assed accordion?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Hmmmm, French free-reeds. My main suggestion would be to paste pretty much what you just told us, as a new thread at concertina.net/forums, and ask advice of those gents there. Though mainly concertina, many of them know other free-reeds well, and can give you sound advice.

To be quite honest, I really don't have the time to be picking up something as expensive as all that right now. My summer is being filled with moving into a new house and new pets right now, and I don't want to think about that sort of thing. I may wind up getting one of those cheapo 20 dollar ones to play around with for now.

Probably at the end of the day I will wind up getting some sort of button accordion because that seems to best fit the full on style I want. Concertinas seem really cool, but if I am stuck with one squeezebox I want the kind that will let me do my own accompaniment as well. I think even bandoneons probably aren't quite as good in this regard.

So my two last questions would be:

1. Are some of the button accordions much more manageable size wise than the piano ones?

2. Where would be the best place to shop for something like that used?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

EDIT: If anyone needs an inexpensive autoharp, this one looks pretty clean for $57 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-VTG-Oscar-Schmidt-Autoharp-Case-15EBH-R-/150626500704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23120a0060 . EDIT2: or this one closing in 14 hours: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-OSCAR-SCHIMDT-15-CHORDS-AUTOHARP-/220803066995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3368e36c73

This thread will be the death of me but you have made autoharps very interesting sounding too. I'm a singer firstly and foremost so having some sort of strummed instrument to back me up would be nice. I have arthritis though so any time I've tried to learn guitar my hands have hated me. Do the buttons on the auto harp mean that gripping isn't as much of an action with it? How often can you really find them this cheap?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Any opinions on the hand strength required though, TTFA? I can do pressing motions like the piano just fine, and even recorder i can last for a while, but the gripping required for guitar just killed my hands whenever I tried.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Okay, I bought one of those 20 plastic squeeze boxes blind online (and it turns out one of the plastic ones at that, oh well), and it has a lot of problems. The two reeds on the 1 button are almost a half step out of tune with each other, one of the buttons makes no noise at all, and the chord buttons are either half functioning or non functioning. Yeah I can send it to Irish Dancemaster to get it done for real, but I want to just mess around with repairing it, because I'd rather spend the real money towards an actual button accordion in a month or so. So TTFA, any good tutorials for beginner repair?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chinstrap, have you figured out what kind of squeezebox you're inclined to get down the road?

Thanks for the info may try it tomorrow. I'm going to get some sort of button accordion. If it is diatonic or chromatic I'm not sure yet. The chromatic ones seems good but so big.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

For diatonics, I'd take a hard look at the Hohner Erica, or if one row will do you the HA-112. The dude at Irish Dancemaster and I have talked shop on and off, and he's just not a fan of the HA-112 for various technical reasons, but as a casual player I simply loved it. Very lightweight and trim instruments, and they look awesome.

If you get a an HA-112, eBay is probably your best bet. I would be not at all shy to ask the seller if you can hear it played over the phone to see how the tuning is, as getting an HA-112. Getting a complete and total re-reed would be $300ish, tuning a few reeds might be affordable though. Usually I find HA-112s by searching "hohner -piano" (if I'm willing to look through a few pages) or "hohner (button*, cajun) if I'm just perusing a few listings.

Yeah I definitely think a diatonic or concertina is what I will end up with. I have small hand and short arms and playing the few big accordions I've tried feels far too awkward for me. I really love the size of the little toy accordion. I'd rather have a comfortable playing experience and not be able to play absolutely every piece possible, than get something chromatic but bulky.

Besides I feel like something decidedly different from piano, and a diatonic button accordion or a concertina seems to fit the bill.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Also are there any reputable non-ebay sources for used squeezeboxes? I'm kind of sick of the whole ebay bidding game and would pay a bit more to buy from a trusted source.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

These are definitely a crapshoot buying blind; as mentioned earlier in the thread my preferred method is to find a store with 12 of them, play them all, and choose the best one.

In your case, your first priority is to crack this puppy open. There will be four round-head pins arrayed around the 7-button side: get a tool and pull them all out. The best tool for this is a small pincer, but you can use whatever works.

Finally got around to doing this. Changing to single reed made the melody buttons sound way cleaner. On the other side, the chord button sounds fine but the bass button is really out of tune. Any quick thing I can do to fix that?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I really appreciate all your advice TTFA. I've done a lot of digging the past few days, just watching different youtube videos. And I think this is the one that convinced me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDvPkV_-TM

I'm getting a Hayden duet concertina. The style seems fun, the layout makes it easy to do some accompaniment, and the size seems perfect. And from what you and everyone else seems to say, the Concertina Connection's Elise seems to be what I should start with. Probably will be a week or two before ordering one but I'll give a trip report when I do.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

I really appreciate all your advice TTFA. I've done a lot of digging the past few days, just watching different youtube videos. And I think this is the one that convinced me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDvPkV_-TM

I'm getting a Hayden duet concertina. The style seems fun, the layout makes it easy to do some accompaniment, and the size seems perfect. And from what you and everyone else seems to say, the Concertina Connection's Elise seems to be what I should start with. Probably will be a week or two before ordering one but I'll give a trip report when I do.

Ordered it today. Can't wait for it to come!!!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Awesome! Hayden duet is a really intuitive layout, so I imagine you'll be figuring it out most quickly. This fingering system was apparently invented in the 1970s of so by a British concertina player, Hayden, who had a sudden brainstorm. He got some maker to start producing "Hayden duet system" boxes, and then years later folks discovered that a Swiss designer named Wicki had invented the exact same thing in the 1880s, but nobody has ever found any boxes actually made with Wicki's system, so its unknown if they were all lost/destroyed/coverted to other systems, or whether he just never sold anyone on the idea.

Looking forward to hearing how it strikes you when it comes in.

Any suggestions for a collection of simple tunes to learn to play? I would like to expand my folk music repetoire anyway.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

The guy who runs Concertina Connection also builds these, in case you ever feel like spending 20 times as much:

Lovely though.

Thats the one JeffLeff plays isn't it? It definitely sounds great and the extra buttons would be cool but yeah no way in hell i'd consider that until i gave a good year + practicing on the elise.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Played with a bigass piano accordion someone brought into work. That fucker is heavy. Big ol' shoulder braces and everything. Made me look forward to the concertina I ordered even more because that beast felt really huge.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
My Elise Concertina from Concertina Connection came yesterday. Played with it a little last night and it was very comfortable to pick up. The trainer book that came with it was too rudimentary, but I'm not expecting much written material to be able to help with things.

My main issues at first are A) remembering where the C notes end and the accidentals begin on each row and B) remembering to change the bellows between phrases to not run out of air.

Love it so far though. The size is good, and the button layout will still afford a decent amount of the melody + backing that you can do with an accordion.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Trip report on my Hayden Duet Concertina (the Elise from Concertina Connection). I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and it has been a lot of fun. The first big realization for me was figuring out the logic of the key placement. At first when I got it, the placements of the accidentals seemed arbitrary and random (why is the f# on a lower row than the f?). But when I figured out that it is all designed so that the same pattern gives the same type of chord everywhere on the button set, it made sense. The D major scale is just as simple as shifting the C major fingering over one button. The finger shape that gives you a C major chord is the same for D, F, G, A, and B-flat major. It is pretty genius when you realize it.

The other main issue I had was it kept feeling hard to hold on to even at the smallest hand strap setting. Last night I cut some holes in the hand straps even farther down, and now it feels a lot more secure and easier to play.

When playing, should I be keeping the right side still and moving the left side? Or moving the right side and keeping the left side still? Pulling and pushing both sides together feels wrong.

Anyway, A++ really really enjoying it, and since my music theory and piano chops are already decent, it hasn't been too hard a switch so far. Sometimes I think I maybe should have gotten a bisonoric concertina just because it is so different from what I'm used to, but the Duet fingering gives me the ability to do accompaniment and melody together better. It is sort of a decent tradeoff between a concertina and accordion.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Will reply on the Hayden concertina and the melodica in a day or so, but have to get to bed since been up drinking with bagpipe players, and have a 0930 class Sunday morning on medieval bagpipe polyphony. If anyone here is interested in any kind of unusual bagpipe (anything other than Great Highland), these national gatherings (of which there are several) are loving awesome, so feel free to PM me for details.

Please dont forget me :)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

I had this exact same issue, and was going to punch more holes, but on reading more on it turns out that this is (semi) intentional and that you're supposed to "cup" your hands to take up the slack, and de-cup when you need to reach further and need more slack. That's not the obligatory way to play, and there's no harm in punching extra holes if you want a tighter strap, but it's not just that you have little girly hands, people just tend to take up the slack manually.

Yeah I started to realize this myself. The tighter straps make it really hard to get to both the lowest and highest rows at the same time. I moved back to the smallest premade hole and am learning how to take up the slack. My main practice right now is learning how to hit jumps between rows without overshooting.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I need like a Big Book of Folk Tunes for my concertina, because the only sheet music I have around is piano stuff. Any suggestions?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I have gotten an autoharp! Any suggestions for a decent collection of folk/traditional melodies with chords? I don't think I'd need something autoharp specific right? Just tablature

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Hay goon, so you're playing autoharp now too. Are you still playing duet concertina as well?

Thanks for the suggestions! That's the sort of stuff I'm looking for. No, my concertina just hangs there for now. I really should've just gotten an accordion like I wanted. The music I want to play is too chromatic for my concertina.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Autoharp arrived with the plastic cover broken and the bar support broken on one side. Also needs a new set of strings.

Luckily since it got damaged in transport and was an insured purchase, I got a full refund, which more than covers the cost of a full string set and replacement parts. It will be a hell of a job though considering I've never messed with anything like this before.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

- If you're short on cash, building a PVC didg is pretty workable, something most sites consider pretty decent.
- If you're looking for a cheapie, look for a reputable cheapie from a serious didg seller as opposed to just whatever is on eBay. Like with Native American flutes and other such instruments, there are shops in India, Pakistan, Indonesia, etc churning out cheap copies in indifferently-sourced wood. For little more (or even the same price) if you poke around the focused didg sellers have decent cheapiers, in either natural woods or synthetics.
- For your first one, get a "standard" size, not a tiny one or a massive one, since the medium sizes apparently are easiest to blow.
- Me personally, I'd tend to at least start with a synthetic since that way you can take it everywhere without fretting it getting damaged, and that might make you more comfortable keeping it handy next to the couch, hauling it out to the park, etc. But if for whatever personal reasons you want natural materials, those aren't hard to find even in cheap.

Could you give me some suggestions of a good synthetic didgeridoo shop to buy from online that will ship to the states?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I've thought about getting one of these for four and a half years, and sat on a waitlist for a while and fuuuuuuuck it's amazing

What actual one is that? The Bali Steel one? How long was your wait?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
And why do they have to be so expensive :( That probably won't stop me though.

To add an actual question here, I've recently bought a house and it has a cool grove area up on a hill that we are hanging out in a lot, just enjoying the outdoors. I'm looking for instruments (like the Hang) that would be awesome for just spacing out and playing. What would people suggest as cheaper ones?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
This isn't a weird instrument question necessarily, but I figured someone who reads this might have an answer.

My new baby loves me to sing her to sleep in her sling. I've got a few sight singing books that have melody snippets in progressive difficulties that I have been using as my daily fodder for things.

I would like to get a book of melodies that I could use for the same purpose. Folk melodies, hymns, pop/rock, any of them. I don't really care about having piano accompaniment. Something just like the melody with chord tablature like that. I know I can find a lot of this stuff online but I want a physical book. Any good ideas where to start? The Real Book series has some vocal editions but that is pretty heavily jazz oriented (but I will still probably get them), and I would really like something similar with folk etc.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dumb. There are pop and folk fake books out there too.

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 15, 2015

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Can you give some good plastic NAF sellers? Want a good quality one, willing to pay a bit more. Love my tin whistles (especially my Freeman Mellow Dog) but I'd like something more meditative to play along side it. Plastic is appealing for durability and portability.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Hands-down option for plastic, Northern Spirit flutes up in Canuckistan: http://www.northernspiritflutes.net/

About US$40 for a flute, or you can pay more for a double-bodied drone flute at US$97 (I might get one now that the Arctic Dollar is so low). There are a few cheaper plastics that are perfectly decent, like Sounds We Make, but the NS has the most traditional look while being really well-made out of food-safe plastic.

How hard are they to assemble? The unassembled seem quite a bit cheaper.

EDIT: Hmm unassembled seems to be undrilled too. Nevermind!

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks TTFA, ordered one of the Northern Spirit plastic flutes. Drone flute was tempting but that can be later. I'll check back in with my impressions once I get it.

• Locked thread