Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
This thread has been fantastic, there is nothing I love better than learning new instruments. I go to school for music education and I play the double bass in the symphony during the school year, so summer is the perfect time to learn new instruments for pleasure. I bought a beautiful dulcimer off of craigslist for $40:

I put some new strings on and it plays like a dream mostly- there seems to be something off with the whole step frets. When I have my fingers placed too high up, the notes tend to get a bit strangled, but when they're closer to the bottom of the fret it sounds fine. Is this something I can do anything about and repair, or should I just focus on placing my fingers closer to the bottom of the fret?

also, someone just posted this: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/2496101790.html -is this a reasonable price for a Moog theremin? I kind of feel like I need one of those in my life. At this point I'm having a hard time choosing between a theremin and a concertina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
What I'm really wanting to play is the bandoneon (I got to play Cuatro Estaciones Porteņas in a string ensemble and I fell in love with Piazzolla's music), but I know that's way out of my price range right now, since I'm not really prepared to pay $2000+. I'm thinking that a duet concertina might be the next best thing for tango, since (I think?) it's chromatic, but frankly I'm kinda guessing.

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
The stamp inside says "Here, Inc.", and the lady I bought it from said that she bought it around 30 years ago in Minnesota. Thank you for all of the concertina/bandoneon information, by the way, you've given me a really good starting point (and gotten me a bit more optimistic).

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
I think I may have found what I'm looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-F-Lange-German-Concertina-Accordion-Band-Union-/140576304957?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item20bb002f3d#ht_7320wt_952

Think it's worth bidding for? It looks like it's in pretty good shape, and the price is right.

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
I did hold off on bidding, I tend to get really excited right when I find something and then calm down and think about it a little more closely (thank you, too, withak). I did sort of think that ebay bando was too good to be true. I submitted my join request to the Yahoo bandoneon group so I can ask there, thanks for the link.

Yeah, I know it's good to wait. It took more than a month of solid research and deliberation to settle on my double bass, and I'm very glad I did. I'll calm down about the bandoneon a little bit, and wait until I can find one that is right for me. and then learn the poo poo out if it.

a penus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
So, instead of going with the bandoneon this summer, I decided to be boring and buy an instrument that would actually serve me well in school/gigs this semester:

The bando is still a future purchase, just not this summer, I guess. I hope an EUB counts as a weird instrument :) Thanks to everyone who gave me fantastic information, if anything this thread has made me more excited about exotic instruments.

• Locked thread