Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
Anyone familiar with Puetro Rican Cuatros? They are like a cross between a mandolin and a guitar, 10 strings with 5 courses, tuned BEADG so guitar chords work, just in different voicings. I got mine for less then 100 bucks off ebay and love it.

I keep mine in my work truck, along with a mbira usually. I really need to find a case.

sithael fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
Do you have any recommendations for a good tiple (any kind)? I've actually been looking for one since getting my cuatro, but ebay doesn't have much of a selection.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

quote:

Do not buy a random no-name NAF off of eBay. If it's from a specifically-named maker with a good rep, sure, but if it doesn't specify any name at all, or has a name that gets no Google hits on flute websites, that's a pretty drat big red flag. Do not ask me how I know this.

i did this. it's not going to explode on me, will it?

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
I bought this one, since i went to a world music festival saturday and they had some drone flutes for sell, but they were like 150 bucks each. This one seems to be double melody pipes, which i guess would still work for drone: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250844928252&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The seller seems to have a few more for just as cheap if someone wants to waste 30$ and see http://shop.ebay.com/msanders626/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Tomorrow my dilruba (bowed sitar) ships from india if its not still raining there... I've had waaaay too much money in the past few months so I've been buying poo poo at random from ebay. Havn't had anything totally bogus yet, cept a sarod that got broken in the mail, but they sent me a new one, and now i have two! So far, a cuatro, 3 mbiras, the sarod, a bowed psaltry, a viola, and an autoharp have all played decently and tune up fine enough that i don't know the difference. Maybe they would to an expert, but im not an expert in any of them. I also have a fretless guitar thingy from thailand and some mizmars/shawms already in the mail.

I can't decide on what i want next. Half the stuff on ebay it's hard enough to find info on, let alone anyone else who sells them in the first place. I found this weird filipine instrument that fits what i wanted in a triple coursed instrument and is tuned like a guitar/cuatro with a low F, the bandilla laud. http://cgi.ebay.com/Philippines-BANDILLA-Acoustic-LAUD-Hard-Case-NEW-/260699076927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb2e0393f (the abba cover in the description is awesome, also)

Or the santoor... indian hammered dulcimer. I like it's more compact size compared to western ones. I think preparing it with paper clips and such would be neat.

sithael fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 27, 2011

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

fedex had a present!

First the native american flute. I like the design more then the others, i think. I don't know how to judge it, but it plays well, all the holes seem to play even. other then a weird hole on the back end of the smaller pipe, it doesnt seem to do much. It reminds me alot of those train whistle toys, actually. Definitely worth the less then 40 dollars i paid for it.

And the dilruba... It's a indian bowed instrument with a sarangi's body, and a sitar's neck. 15 sympathics, 5 jawari (buzzing) strings, and 4 playing strings. As far as i can tell, the sympathetic are suppose to be tuned to whatever raga (indian scale/mode thingy) is being played. The geared tuners are pretty crappy, which makes tuning all the sympathetics not too fun, but it sounds wonderful when tuned up. I hear replacing them with better quality western ones helps. It has movable metal frets, which arnt suppose to be played, just a guide ... (you stop the string with your fingernails) but i don't see why they can't, it sounds good enough. The bridge is fairly flat as well, and the nut has tons of precut slots, so if you wanted to play it plucked like a poor mans sitar theres really nothing stopping you. Overall, i think it was worth it for 200 bucks with free shipping, definitely a better purchase then my sarod i bought from the same seller. Took 2 days to get here from india as well, but i think it took a month to build first. The bow that came with it is pretty garbage though. also, it has a pickup in it, but it's a tad noisy. it wasn't advertized as being acoustic electric though, so, i guess it's an added bonus?

I'm probably gonna order a santoor from the same seller (buy-raagini) in a month or so.

sithael fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
anyone curious about a shaminsen-like instrument but doesn't want to spend tons of money, try a Sung Lisu / Subu (i guess, cant find alot of info on it) from Thailand. It's obviously a relative: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisu-Tibet-Thai-Chinese-Tribal-Tradition-Music-Guitar-/190566790536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5eaa7588

I really like mine, for 45$ with shipping included you can't go wrong. Just replace the strings because mine were awfully dirty, but i think it was due to the finish and the humidity change. Does a shaminsen/sanshin use nylon strings? The sanshin looks like it in that picture.

• Locked thread