Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

treeboy posted:

Thanks guys! (meant to say please tell me it's *not* a dream) This is crazy, i can't stop smiling.

Congrats! And post your reel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

SnafuAl posted:

XNA works fine with 2D sprites. Pretty sure most of the functionality you need to use sprites is built-in. Either that or I programmed that functionality whilst pissed, because I don't remember it.

I'm building a 2D platformer engine on XNA and pretty much everything seems to be there, except you have to cook up animations on your own using sprite sheets. That said, if you're using XNA instead of Flixel or Stencyl, then you probably have the chops to figure out a sprite sheet.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Thanks for the reply guys! Ah I see so those others are custom engine. But yeah, I already have a few sprite animations done, I was just worried XNA was going to make it more difficult to transfer them.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

treeboy posted:

holy gently caress...I got the job with Vigil. It's a full time entry level temp position but I got it...I'm kinda speechless and in shock. Please tell me it's a dream.

Congrats dude! Hope it still feels like a dream when you realize your job is to clean up mo-cap of a dude taking a dump, forever ;)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sigma-X posted:

Congrats dude! Hope it still feels like a dream when you realize your job is to clean up mo-cap of a dude taking a dump, forever ;)
Think positively - if you bust your rear end in the trenches, and really show your dump-cleaning chops, you'll be promoted to being the guy who animates the facial bones to approximate the live captured constipation face!

... and then you'll be fired a year later once this Team Bondi facial anim tech replaces you with a tool. Or maybe you'll instead become a tool (if you're not already a tool) and clean that data instead.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Shalinor posted:

Think positively - if you bust your rear end in the trenches, and really show your dump-cleaning chops, you'll be promoted to being the guy who animates the facial bones to approximate the live captured constipation face!

... and then you'll be fired a year later once this Team Bondi facial anim tech replaces you with a tool. Or maybe you'll instead become a tool (if you're not already a tool) and clean that data instead.

it's all keyframe, they don't use mocap.

right? :smith:

edit: actually they were big on their dedication to hand keyed animation. It's something that caught my eye when I was sending out the application. During the interview he even asked me how many principles of animation i could name off the top of my head (only 4.5...never did memorize the dang list...) Apparently even knowing what he was talking about was good enough though.

-A N I M 8- posted:

Congrats! And post your reel...

edit2: I hate my reel with a passion, actually, and have been struggling to put decent stuff on it. It's very much a display of entry level ability. But if people are actually curious its on my site: https://www.forrestwaller.com

treeboy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 9, 2011

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Sigma-X posted:

"The normal map on this turd is fantastic!"

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

treeboy posted:

edit2: I hate my reel with a passion, actually, and have been struggling to put decent stuff on it. It's very much a display of entry level ability. But if people are actually curious its on my site: https://www.forrestwaller.com

It's good stuff man. Is that a Blizzard test you open with?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

-A n i m 8- posted:

It's good stuff man. Is that a Blizzard test you open with?

Creepy stalker time: post your alias!

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind

Aliginge posted:

Environment Artist. It'd be my first post in industry. And thanks, hoping for the best :D

Salary for my postion I'm expecting would be around £20k if not a touch more. Leamington can be a pricy place to live, at least compared to the shithole that is Middlesbrough :p A brief search indicates that you'd be looking at around £26k for Assistant Producer.

A housemate (also a goon iirc) is going for the Level Design position too. He's into racing games, he has level design sketches all over his room and he knows a bunch of engines from UE3 to worldcraft. Mighty big goonpile if all turns out well. :v:

My wife wants to move back to Wymondham (a little village near Melton Mowbray, not Norfolk) since we had our first child, to give her the better country life, so I'm trying to stay in the industry but join a company within a decent commute.

I'm finding it very difficult and may have to make the difficult decision to leave the industry eventually, not something I'm too keen on doing. I'm not even keen on leaving my current role, I love it.

Hopefully it all falls in to place. I still haven't decided whether I should apply and then see if they will disclose the salary. 3 hours commute a day by car will be costly and a pain in the rear end.

Good luck to you, your friend and SnafuAl!

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Chasiubao posted:

I'm a very boring person so it'd be a pretty silly to Internet detective me. :)

The first piece was something I'd been working on for Dominance V anim contest but didn't finish in time.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

I'm starting in two months!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Huh, Playground Games sure is getting popular, I had an E-mail last night and a call this morning from an agency to put me through for their Design Assistant job. I also asked to be put forward for the Level Designer spot since both jobs call for level design, strange stuff.

Interview though? Who knows.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

-A n i m 8- posted:

I'm starting in two months!

But all the interns have started already what makes you so special :mad:

I'm just jealous I didn't get an intern I hate having to get my own :coffee:

Stormin Mormon
Nov 12, 2003

"Stormin'" since 1999
Mormon since 2005

treeboy posted:

my site: https://www.forrestwaller.com

Looking at your resume, noticed your mission in your resume. I thought they were 2 years long! What did you do!? But of course that could just be my creed's timing of missions.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

But all the interns have started already what makes you so special :mad:

I'm just jealous I didn't get an intern I hate having to get my own :coffee:

Haha, naah I'm too old to be an intern, had to go for a senior position ;)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

-A n i m 8- posted:

Haha, naah I'm too old to be an intern, had to go for a senior position ;)

For some reason I thought you had gotten an internship, not a senior spot. My bad :) Even more congratulations then!

Internet
May 27, 2004
Behold!!!
Does anyone have any comments about the Game Design program at Columbia College of Chicago? I finally got my poo poo together and I'm transferring up there for the fall. I'm not sure if I should go with the Audio, Arts, and Acoustics degree or the Sound specialization of the Game Design degree. I'm leaning towards the Game Design route but the program is fairly new from what I understand.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Question for you guys: I've been working as a contractor for a little over two years at my studio. A full-time production position is opening up that I'm quite interested in, but I gather that lots of other folks will be as well, what with the scores of layoffs over the last year and lots of game developers still looking for work.

I'm very, very familiar with and extremely respected by the team that I'd be working with if I were to get this gig. My work ethic is legendary. I've got that "known quantity" thing going on and just about everybody in the department is rooting for me. My fear, however, is that all that won't count for poo poo if someone with five shipped titles applies--all other things being equal, experience tends to be the tie-breaker. I've missed out on gigs before under these circumstances.

My guess is that my best hope will be to argue for an alternative evaluative criteria for making their selection--that is, to somehow make the case that, yes, while some hypothetical so-and-so may have more shipped titles under their belt than I do, I've worked on big titles here, under your watch, and produced outstanding results. I'm known, I have great working relationships with my colleagues and our external partners, and I can answer those nebulous questions like "how well do you work under pressure" and so on with concrete examples. With witnesses!

I'm trying to strategize as best I can ahead of the interview and consider as many angles as possible. So I'm wonderin': Have any of you interviewed for gigs under similar conditions, and have any insight or advice to share?

typhus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 10, 2011

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
Have you talked to the hire for that role would be reporting to about it? IME being to the point about professional development goals can take you a long way especially in cases where you've got a track record of doing stellar work.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Stormin Mormon posted:

Looking at your resume, noticed your mission in your resume. I thought they were 2 years long! What did you do!? But of course that could just be my creed's timing of missions.

Haha, you stole my original avatar text...I'm just your typical vanilla LDS, but I had a few unexpected health issues in South America which cut things horribly short. Still it was an incredible experience and I learned a little spanish out of the deal to boot!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

treeboy posted:

Haha, you stole my original avatar text...I'm just your typical vanilla LDS, but I had a few unexpected health issues in South America which cut things horribly short. Still it was an incredible experience and I learned a little spanish out of the deal to boot!

Team LDS whuddup :cool:

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

typhus posted:

My guess is that my best hope will be to argue for an alternative evaluative criteria for making their selection--that is, to somehow make the case that, yes, while some hypothetical so-and-so may have more shipped titles under their belt than I do, I've worked on big titles here, under your watch, and produced outstanding results. I'm known, I have great working relationships with my colleagues and our external partners, and I can answer those nebulous questions like "how well do you work under pressure" and so on with concrete examples. With witnesses!

If you work at a place that is even remotely worth something like a drat, this alone should be more than enough to get you a permanent position. HR teams worth their poo poo know to look for people who are already integrated into the team.

Just make double sure that your team has your back and that your boss will talk you up to HR and I'll bet you'll be golden.

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
It feels weird to put modding experience on my resume for a non-industry programming position, but I refactored 750 scripts and ended up with 150 and drat if I'm not proud of it :colbert:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Console Parade posted:

It feels weird to put modding experience on my resume for a non-industry programming position, but I refactored 750 scripts and ended up with 150 and drat if I'm not proud of it :colbert:

Use it to talk about optimization and how you went about it, etc. Good talking point and example for an interview :)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
My resume is garbage :[

All my experience is retail/call center. I tried to find a mod team but 99% of the time I would be like "hey cool I'll join!" and nothing gets done with the team at all so after working on a model for them they just end up dissolving and my work never gets recognized and eventually the mod site disappears. At least that's been my experience 2-3 years ago.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

mutata posted:

Mormons on the internet? get outta here...I'm starting to go insane. I've got 4 weeks to find some housing, get clerk business in order, finish up this job, move out, move in, and then go to work...

July is going to be awesome!

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaytan posted:

Have you talked to the hire for that role would be reporting to about it? IME being to the point about professional development goals can take you a long way especially in cases where you've got a track record of doing stellar work.

Oh yeah. I currently report to the hiring manager, who would continue to be my boss under the new role, and he strongly encouraged me to apply, with the caveat that he didn't know who else would be applying so it was still up in the air. I figure I have a lot going for me, but just the same, I need to prepare for the possibility that somebody with a resume longer than my leg will be going for the job. I must crush this person.

SpaceDrake posted:

If you work at a place that is even remotely worth something like a drat, this alone should be more than enough to get you a permanent position. HR teams worth their poo poo know to look for people who are already integrated into the team.

Just make double sure that your team has your back and that your boss will talk you up to HR and I'll bet you'll be golden.

I'd like to think so. But I wonder whether or not they'd simply rather just hire someone else and keep me as a contractor (buy cow milk free etc). Anyway, the both of you are probably right. I'm gonna try not to sweat it, bring my A-game, and see where it lands.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Today is my last day at Gameloft Montreal. Starting in two weeks at Gameloft Vietnam. It's gonna be insane. :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Internet posted:

Does anyone have any comments about the Game Design program at Columbia College of Chicago? I finally got my poo poo together and I'm transferring up there for the fall. I'm not sure if I should go with the Audio, Arts, and Acoustics degree or the Sound specialization of the Game Design degree. I'm leaning towards the Game Design route but the program is fairly new from what I understand.
The only comment I have is "why are you transferring to a new and completely unknown program in a focus (Game Design) traditionally filled with terrible colleges that do little more than take your money and boot you out the door with a worthless degree."

ceebee posted:

I tried to find a mod team but 99% of the time I would be like "hey cool I'll join!" and nothing gets done with the team at all so after working on a model for them they just end up dissolving and my work never gets recognized and eventually the mod site disappears. At least that's been my experience 2-3 years ago.
EDIT: Ah, right, artist - found your stuff on polycount. Uh, yeah, you're doing juuuust fine dude. Just keep making cool poo poo, put it in a portfolio, and you'll find something. I suppose if you really wanted to be fancy, you could make a quick Unity 3D demo for your website of your fire golem walking around or some such, but... looks awesome, regardless.

The whole "all my experience is retail" thing is how all our resumes looked breaking in. Mine was 3 years of pizza delivery while attending uni, and then this one 1 year programming gig waaaay back from the dotcom days. That and a portfolio.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 10, 2011

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ceebee posted:

My resume is garbage :[

All my experience is retail/call center. I tried to find a mod team but 99% of the time I would be like "hey cool I'll join!" and nothing gets done with the team at all so after working on a model for them they just end up dissolving and my work never gets recognized and eventually the mod site disappears. At least that's been my experience 2-3 years ago.

My work experience was call center and retail work and then a decent (at the time) portfolio and some side project games. I never found an online mod-team that stuck through poo poo - real life friends were where the student/indie games I worked on happened - people are more accountable IRL.

You need to organize your portfolio into something that puts all the Amazing right at the front instead of using a blog.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

mutata posted:

Lot more in games than you would think. :cool:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Lot more in games than you would think. :cool:

Doesn't surprise me too much. If you've ever pulled out Catan at a ward function (especially a singles gathering) or watched byu fans at a basketball game you quickly realize LDS folks are crazy for games of all kinds

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

treeboy posted:

Doesn't surprise me too much. If you've ever pulled out Catan at a ward function (especially a singles gathering) or watched byu fans at a basketball game you quickly realize LDS folks are crazy for games of all kinds

Theres a healthy number of devs in Salt Lake as well. Enough that they have a game dev softball league, anyway.

vv interesting...

mutata fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 11, 2011

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I work in SLC and I don't want to know who is LDS and who isn't. :geno:

Edit: Ok, I guess what I'm saying is that nobody I work with brings it up either way because it isn't really something to talk about in the workplace. That's all.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 11, 2011

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

baby puzzle posted:

Throw a birthday party at a bar.

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind
So I decided to apply for the AP role at Playground Games. Fingers crossed!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

baby puzzle posted:

Edit: Ok, I guess what I'm saying is that nobody I work with brings it up either way because it isn't really something to talk about in the workplace. That's all.

This is true, even though it shouldn't matter wtf people are into, but missions are also a cultural thing and it's hard to avoid talking about it, nor should people as there are some awesome nonreligious stories that come out of them.

That does bring up a point though. Religion is one of those issues like race and gender that HR avoids at all costs. Putting your mission on there is kinda risking an hr rep throwing it put as whatever they do they could be accused of bias one way or the other. The united counsellors here recommend listing it as 2 years of voluntary service in whatever country then you just list what you did in nonreligious terms. Just a thought.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

baby puzzle posted:

I totally agree. Religion and politics cause nothing but trouble in the workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Kaos Studios RIP. Worked with some of those guys. Ouch.
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/35190/THQ_Shutters_UK_Studio_Homefront_Developer_Kaos.php