Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«231 »
Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

It's always time

Buying champions sight unseen is hit and miss but exciting at the same time. I bought Nidalee on a whim and have had loads of fun with her while on the other hand Singed has just never clicked with me. It's nice to play some completely random hero from time to time and try and get good with them, probably most logical to do that with a free hero though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

I regret my blind purchase of Lee Sin. I thought we might not see him again after April Fools.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

kaschei posted:

What's IP for, if not for spending? Just realize that yes, you are buying a pig in a poke, don't do it if that lost IP will wear on your soul.

Runes. I use IP for runes. Heroes get bought for RP when they're on sale. It's much cheaper that way.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Glorious.

Please keep all the un-funny sarcasm out as much as possible.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

It's always time

The best/cheapest way to get a nice group of champions is to buy one of the bundles. In order of preference:

1) Champions Bundle. This pack contains a bunch of fairly new champions, including a variety of cool 6300IP champs who you would never be able to afford with just IP. You won't need to get other champs for months so you can focus your IP on runes. This is also the cheapest bundle in terms of RP price and value (you get over 60k IPs worth of heroes).

2) Digital Collectors. This pack contains a lot of the release date heroes and covers all the roles you need to fill. You don't get any big ticket IP heroes though, the total IP value of the pack is only around 30k IP and it costs more RP than the Champions Bundle. On the upside you get 1700 RP with the bundle which you can use to buy some extra heroes to round out the selection a little.

3) The other pack. Never buy this. The hero selection exactly mirrors Digital Collectors except you don't get the 1700RP bonus. Unless you have some implausible desire for the exclusive Sivir skin this pack contains there is absolutely no reason to buy it at all.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

OAUGH

Hey newbies a protip: buy lots of wards or get Clairvoyance it will help a lot in keeping you alive!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

already it was impossible to say which was which

As someone who just now overcame it, please don't invest any time in researching or learning "item builds". The problem with doing so is that a good player who understands the game will probably mop the floor with you even if your build is super-duper optimal. You don't want to get into a mindset that you have to keep plugging away toward a particular build even if it doesn't jibe with how your game is going.

Items are largely situational. Keep playing with the suggested builds until you understand what each stat does and learn to tell when you need more of one. Eventually you will learn to watch what champions you're facing, what items they're building, and what their playstyle is like and respond appropriately.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!

Reveilled posted:

I've only been playing this a week, but I have a question about the Soulstealer item. I had started off playing as Annie (since she was free and listed as a recommended character by the game), and things I read online usually advised the Soulstealer to be the first item purchased with gold gained from laning. I can see it's listed as a "don't buy unless you know what you're doing" item, due to it losing power when you die. The thing has a max of 20 stacks, and generally I was keeping around 8-10 on it.

Should I only be looking to buy items like that once I can reliably hold 20 stacks on the thing? Or would it be worth the purchase at a lower consistent stack level? If not that, then what should I have been looking to buy to boost my attacks? The Rod of Ages?

The thing about Soulstealer and the other items that have stacks are that they're basically a gamble item. If you get one early and manage to build up to 20 stacks then you have given yourself a significant boost at a very low cost.

The flipside is if you wait and build up more survivability first, when you do get the Soulstealer or whatever, the game might end up being over before you can build up all 20 stacks.

It's definitely not an item to buy when you're new to a champion because you're probably going to die as you get used to how they play. Something like the Rod of Ages is a much safer buy because it gives just about everything a champion like Annie needs: HP, Mana, AP and all three increase as time goes by.

Zombies' Downfall
Aug 20, 2005

That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives.

The stacking items (Soulstealer, Sword of the Occult, Leviathan) are not however created equal. Generally speaking Mejai's Soulstealer is the best of the lot and worth consideration on any AP hero who has either a reliable escape or reasonable survivability and with whom you feel fairly confident; it takes fewer stacks to be worth the purchase price (6, if I recall correctly) and has a less meaningful opportunity cost than Sword of the Occult, since there are few caster damage stats other than AP and large amounts of AP have a snowball effect due to Rabadon's multiplying them.

Leviathan on the other hand is not a very good item at all unless you can achieve and maintain 20 stacks, a bit of a catch-22 since unlike the other two it doesn't truly snowball (making you better at killing people as you get kills) and it also stacks slower because generally speaking if you're stacking survivability you'll be getting fewer lasthits in teamfights than your allies who built more damage. New players should definitely avoid it in any case.

EDIT: This may not be immediately clear but there are other stacking items as well, like the Bloodthirster and Warmog's Armor. These items function differently, charging up from minion kills, and that distinction is one reason you should read item tooltips closely when starting out.

Marxist Hobo
Apr 24, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Sword of the Occult definitely has its uses. Urgot, particularly, can generally get one even if he's only doing decent and is almost going to be guaranteed to be stacks on it. I would say Pantheon but after all those nerfs he's just a terrible champion right now. Fun, but not at all effective. Leviathan, on the other hand, is just a poorly thought-out item and terrible overall. Basically, you can buy Mejai's on some champs, SotO on a handful of champs, and you should never buy Leviathan ever. Snowball items in general have a higher difficulty overall, however, as they require a very good knowledge of how to not die. Make sure you can do that before you invest in one.

Marxist Hobo fucked around with this message at Jun 3, 2011 around 04:33

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Requesting a thread title change to "League of Legends Newbie Thread: BUY WARDS".

Seriously, we can't hammer it in enough. Wards are so ludicrously useful that it should be literally illegal not to own one. A single ward costs 75 gold, and lasts for three minutes. If the enemy team has any control over the map whatsoever, they will be wandering around, probably past your wards, which let's you see them when they might not expect you to be able to. Here's what a ward can do:

- Alert you to an incoming gank, preventing the enemy team from scoring 300 gold off of your overextended rear end. You spent 75 gold to cost them 300 gold. Worth it.
- Tell you that an enemy is wandering alone and unprotected through the jungle, letting you set up a 2v1 ambush. You spent 75 gold to earn your team a kill, putting your team several hundred gold ahead. Worth it.
- Keep an eye on important neutral monsters, such as Baron, the Dragon, or any of the buffs in the jungle; more importantly, lets you know when the other team is attempting to kill these monsters, which usually leaves them vulnerable. Kill them, kill the monster, get paid back for the ward. Worth it.
- Know where the enemies are not, letting you move about the map with impunity. Scared that someone will jump out of the jungle when you're pushing down the tower? Ward it, kill the tower, get paid back. Worth it.

Wards will earn you more money than items specifically designed to earn you money.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010

This pleases me greatly!

LISTEN UP: Everyone yelled at you to buy wards, so you bought them. Now what?

This is the NEW PLAYERS thread, people have NO IDEA what to do with that 75g you just made them spend. I'm terrible with wards, but I'm going to write up a little guide and link to the best one I can find. Someone who is a better warder than me needs to write up a ward guide and it should go in the OP.

Here is my newbies guide to wards:

Generally, when you are starting out in league, the number one way you will die is by overextending in your lane. Now if you charge at that full health Mordekaiser screaming DEMACIAAAAAA on your 30% hp Lux and then die, don't do that, that's dumb.

However if you are just doing your job, getting those last hits, and all of a sudden RED BUFF TRUNDLE RIGHT ON TOP OF ME OH GOD "You have been slain", what can you do to fix it? Wards. As a new player you should aim to buy 5-10 wards in a game. As your skill at farming and last hitting improves, increase the number of wards you buy.

Now, what do you do with that 75g you just spent? Here is my trusty BULLET POINTED (Does not use Bullet Points) LIST OF JUSTICE:

-If it's early on, place the wards in the bush inside the river directly above or below your lane. Or both bushes, when you're in middle.
-Around 6-7 minutes, place a ward near dragon, so you can see him. Try to keep this ward up unless dragon has been killed recently.
-If you are feeling a little more advanced, and/or are laning with a friend, put a ward by the nearest enemy jungle buff. When you see their jungler/anyone else killing the creep, go get em! HOWEVER! Don't charge off in plain sight of the enemies in your lane, either sneak around or only go if you have sent your lanemies back to base.
-Around 20 minutes into the game place a ward at Baron (he spawns at 15 but 99% of teams, especially new ones, aren't going to kill him that early). Try to keep this ward up, ESPECIALLY after your team has just pushed and is going back to base.

When placing wards, try to put them in spots where you can get as much vision of likely enemy approaches. Also, having the ward in a bush is usually a good idea.

THATS IT! HERE IS A MUCH BETTER MORE IN DEPTH GUIDE IF YOU WANT TO READ MORE: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=237514

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at Jun 3, 2011 around 09:02

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Carecat posted:

I regret my blind purchase of Lee Sin.

I liked this.

Also, if you're ever asking yourself "should I maybe buy some wards?" then congratulations! You're no longer a terrible player. By the way, the answer is always Yes.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Did I say a lot?
I meant TONS of damage!

Are there any actual newbies reading this thread?

LordVorbis
Feb 6, 2003

I wuv woo deadpool

Studio posted:

I consider myself a level 30 newbie. I introduced a new guy to the game the other day, and what I did was take him into a co-op v AI game and just explain the basics of last hitting, pushing, and how important taking a tower down is.

A week later he's still in newbie island (sub level 10) but he was already complaining that his team mates had no idea how to last hit, constantly tower dived and didn't even know wards existed.

I felt like I had done by job well.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Studio posted:

I'm level 27, does that count? I've been playing for six weeks (but pretty heavily) or so and I'm still learning things about the game, even if I've gotten past the super-newbie phase and into the 'unskilled player with occasional great games' phase.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Studio posted:

Yeah, my friends and I just started a couple of days ago and we're levels 5-7. We played a bunch of coop vs. AI games on intermediate difficulty last night and we lost 90% of them.

LordVorbis
Feb 6, 2003

I wuv woo deadpool

Lakbay posted:

Yeah, my friends and I just started a couple of days ago and we're levels 5-7. We played a bunch of coop vs. AI games on intermediate difficulty last night and we lost 90% of them.

The thing I've noticed about intermediate bots is they are hugely aggressive. But won't tower dive. If you're getting hard-pressed by them, go hide under the tower. It'll help you practice getting last hits in while pushed back to your tower.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Lakbay posted:

That's because they are all cheating assholes

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Lakbay posted:

Yeah, I also used to lose against intermediate bots. Coming back when you're level 20+ and want to try out a new champion is immensely cathartic, though.

Also never take the Taric/Miss Fortune lane when vs bots. That lane is way too annoying.

brm
Mar 8, 2010

Studio posted:

I just started this Monday. Here are some of my most recent matches, I'd appreciate any feedback http://www.justin.tv/quidfit/b/287261301 If I'm missing some glaring gameplay point, let me know.

And I have a few hero questions:
I've bought evelynn and gangplank, I like both of them and feel like olaf would be a good next pick up. Will I have enough IP to buy runes if I just go to level 30 off those three heros? At how many games per 24 hours does buying the IP boost thing with IP become efficient?

Are there any heros I ought to get? Seems like people suggest newer players get ashe but she seems really boring to me. I'm more into heros that are good but no one ever plays. And what other heros besides gangplank have global abilities?

How often do balance patches and new heros come along?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

ARBEIT MACHT FREI

brm posted:

And what other heros besides gangplank have global abilities?

Twisted Fate, Pantheon, and Karthus all have globals; in the case of the first two global teleports, and in Karthus's case a giant orbital death laser aimed at each enemy champion. I actually bought Karthus when I was pretty new and enjoyed him, he's a monstrously powerful meat-grinder with an aura that kills anything that goes near him and the most obnoxious/amazing ult in the game.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

brm posted:

(...)

Are there any heros I ought to get? Seems like people suggest newer players get ashe but she seems really boring to me. I'm more into heros that are good but no one ever plays. And what other heros besides gangplank have global abilities?

The cheapest heroes can be considered among the best. Ashe has the longest duration stun (which is also across map) in the game and is a great iniator because of it. Ryze is a great mage, Nunu the easiest jungle for example.

Globals: Twisted Fate, Pantheon, Karthus. Riot is changing so globals are no longer in (Karthus is keeping his it seems).

New hero and patches are every two weeks except for holidays or technical problems. Balance patches are random.

Buy tier 1 runes but skip tier 2 completely and save for tier 3. Mobafire rune guide has actually good explanations on them. The new player faq has also good info, beware some of the champion-specific guides though.

Waci
May 30, 2011

brm posted:

Balance patches appear to be coming at a rate of about 1 per a week (or a bit longer), and new champs are coming every 2 or 3 weeks.

brm
Mar 8, 2010

1-Up posted:

Buy tier 1 runes but skip tier 2 completely and save for tier 3. Mobafire rune guide

Thanks, a rune guide like this is exactly what I needed.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The company has no assets of any significant value.

About what summoner level/rune amount do I need to get before Warwick can actually solo the golem at level 1 like I've read about?

Also his strategy page says he can solo the dragon at level 4 but I can't even do that at level 6 with the golem buff and the random +500 damage to monsters item. Is it just wrong or do masteries and runes make that big a difference?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

masteries and runes make a huge difference on junglers.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

AttackBacon posted:

When placing wards, try to put them in spots where you can get as much vision of likely enemy approaches. Also, having the ward in a bush is usually a good idea.

The best wards are the ones the enemy has no idea they're there. If you can go into the bush and place a ward without anyone seeing you, they won't know it's there and will be more likely to give away their position and such when walking through that area.

When going for baron or dragon, someone on the team(most likely yourself) should have a pink ward or oracles. This is to kill off any enemy wards there might be there. Often times weaker players will misjudge how long it takes your team to kill these objectives and assume they have time to get down there when it might already be too late, or they decide it's gone even if you're really taking a long time to kill it, just because they can't see what's going on anymore.

Puistokemisti
Apr 10, 2007

If my team doesn't want to support my carrying power, then they deserve my substandard laning phase, simple as that.

ShadowHawk posted:

About what summoner level/rune amount do I need to get before Warwick can actually solo the golem at level 1 like I've read about?

Also his strategy page says he can solo the dragon at level 4 but I can't even do that at level 6 with the golem buff and the random +500 damage to monsters item. Is it just wrong or do masteries and runes make that big a difference?

Try this route for low level junglewick:
Start with W at Wraiths, smite the big one.
Go to Wolves.
Go to minigolems, Smite the other one.
Recall, buy shoes, go to Blue Golem, do the full run.
Start with cloth armor + 5xhealth pots.

Also, WW can't solo Dragon at level 4 anymore, that guide was probably written before the Dragon changes.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005

What's the difference, all the same.

Studio posted:

Yeah, I'm just about level 10 playing mainly support heroes. Soraka was fun and I'm loving Janna so far. Nothing like going 1/1/20 in a game.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?

Level 15 newbie checking in, and vouching for the usefulness of this thread. I spent some time in a 1v1 not game last night to practice just the mechanics of last hitting, and wow did that help. Take mid, the AI will take bot. Just treat it like you're trying to get a high score, and don't take the tower.

Just the ability to glance at a creep and know that you can get the hit, even when harassed, is great. And look at it this way: kill 3-4 more creeps a wave, and you're paying for your wards.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

greth posted:

Level 15 newbie checking in, and vouching for the usefulness of this thread. I spent some time in a 1v1 not game last night to practice just the mechanics of last hitting, and wow did that help. Take mid, the AI will take bot. Just treat it like you're trying to get a high score, and don't take the tower.

Just the ability to glance at a creep and know that you can get the hit, even when harassed, is great. And look at it this way: kill 3-4 more creeps a wave, and you're paying for your wards.

Master last hitting and you will have a much easier time with the game. Once you have it ingrained in you, you can do other stuff like harassing the opponent and zoning them out and such. Though I would first focus on making sure you can get those last hits on the creeps, and just trying to control the creep waves in general.

Last hitting under the tower is a good skill to have in addition, but there's also creep counting. This is where you lead the enemy creep wave away from your tower's range and/or tank them until your creeps hit them. This allows you to have better odds at last hitting them and controlling the flow of the creep waves.

Another way to do this is to try to size up your creep waves against their's and guess which one will win out. If it looks like the enemy creep wave will win out, you can do stuff like harassing the opponent to draw the enemy creep aggro onto yourself for a moment or just giving the creeps a few extra whacks here and there, to support your own creep wave.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

If you want to win games take a powerful AP mid that can win games early or mid through ganks. Master Malzahar now before they nerf him, Vlad is another good choice. Annie is pretty strong at the moment as well. At low ratings your team will probably play like poo poo and feed non-stop, it's up to you to win the game.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Level 9 newbie checking in as well. This thread has been a lot of help so far.

TheChad
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Last hitting in the first few levels is probably the hardest and most important part of this game. (I am terrible at it)

Pick a hero and just work on last hitting until you have it down, it doesn't matter if you are horrendous at this game otherwise, if you can last hit 90% of the mobs in the first 6 levels you will win most of your games with your early gold advantage.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Speaking of last hitting, I've been practicing in empty games and all bot games(didn't realize you could do this until this morning) and is there a way to turn off the autoattack when a champion gets too close to minions? It's annoying having to go back and forth in order for the champion to not attack.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

already it was impossible to say which was which

Lakbay posted:

Speaking of last hitting, I've been practicing in empty games and all bot games(didn't realize you could do this until this morning) and is there a way to turn off the autoattack when a champion gets too close to minions? It's annoying having to go back and forth in order for the champion to not attack.

Press 'S'. Better to just keep moving around, though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

quote:

Karthus's case a giant orbital death laser aimed at each enemy champion.
The key to Karthus is having "/a NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED" in your clipboard at all times.

Akumos posted:

If you want to win games take a powerful AP mid that can win games early or mid through ganks.
If you want to win low-level games, take Nunu. Lowbies have no clue what to do about him. Shoot ice balls at people every time Visions is up. Munch creeps and heal yourself. Gank other lanes. Go MIA in the jungle for a minute or two then gank someone. Gank some more. You can even lane or jungle, feel free to do both. Run behind people and press R. Bait them into a bush and press R. Run into a teamfight and press R.

He's really the ultimate rear end in a top hat champ and he's even more of one at low levels.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Studio posted:

I'm level 8. Reading every post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

i'll die here one day

Some advice I found really helpful, after learning about last-hitting and all that, is to remember that the goal of the game is basically to destroy towers. DNK wrote a big post on this in the last LoL thread and he is a Pro Player worth listening to. I don't have the post, but the gist of it was that if you have the choice of attacking an enemy hero, a minion, or a tower, attack the tower. Tower damage is irreversible, and having more towers than the enemy is a huge advantage.

At the lower levels of play (i.e. everything below really competetive ranked) you'll often see big 5v5 teamfights from midgame onwards, which is fine if you can consistently win them. But if both of your tams are clumped up on mid, and it's clear no one is going to initiate, go to one of the empty lanes and push. Drop wards as you go, tell your team to play defensive. Blow up creep waves and keep an eye on the minimap. If anyone goes missing, go back to mid or another lane.

If you do this successfully then even if your team engages without you and gets aced, because your creeps will be bashing on the enemy towers and the enemy team will either be forced back to deal with it or have to tank tower damage themselves, leaving them vulnerable to your team when they revive. You're pretty much always going to lose a tower if 4 people on your team die, but this way you can limit the damage they do or even come out even if you can destroy a tower too.

So basically, go to empty lanes and farm (but don't die). This is sometimes known as split pushing and some heroes are better at it than others. If you're the tank or initiator (blitzcrank, alistair, amumu etc) then you're better off sticking with your team. But anyone who can blow up creep waves quickly and can 1v1 any enemy hero, or has a reliable method of escape can do it. Some are really good at it: Twisted Fate can see where any enemy is and then just teleport wherever, Teemo can cover all approaches with mushrooms then speedboost out of trouble, and Master Yi, if built right, can blow towers up very quickly.

man that is a lot of words about a game

«231 »