Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«231 »
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Danyull posted:

I like playing as Master Yi.

VVV

8 CS Deathcap Amumu is the most beautiful flower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

You came to challenge me?
Didn't you know?

I'm completely invulnerable.

I've been thinking about trying out both Annie and Kayle recently, not sure why. But I can't find any good guides for either of them at my usual sources, could I get some advice on how they work and some decent builds? I know Annie's a fairly standard AP carry, and Kayle's some kind of hybrid...

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

legoman727 posted:

I've been thinking about trying out both Annie and Kayle recently, not sure why. But I can't find any good guides for either of them at my usual sources, could I get some advice on how they work and some decent builds? I know Annie's a fairly standard AP carry, and Kayle's some kind of hybrid...

Look for guides at solomid.net and only trust Featured ones (written by pros or high elo players) or possibly Approved if they've been there a while and have a ton of upvotes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

legoman727 posted:

I haven't read any guides for Annie, but my impression is that a long auto-attack range makes for easier farming, but short ability range means that you need to build a bit more durable than some others like Lux and Ziggs.

Kayle actually works better as pure AD, with the exception of building the Rageblade midgame if you have a lead and can afford to really go for the kills. You pretty much ignore your W's healing; just use it sparingly as a speed boost. If you can get the Black Cleaver early, it stacks with her passive to just complete strip an enemy's armor. Also, learn to time her ult, especially if the opposing team is coordinated. There's a couple good guides for her on solomid.

a medical mystery
Dec 15, 2007

You're cute!

Danyull posted:

I like playing as Master Yi.

VVV

Get Jax, he's perfectly viable and has the same snowball mentality.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I played a smurf game (level 13) recently where the enemy team was basically knucklehead idiots except for their Fiddlesticks, who was the only decent player on their team. It was Fiddle + Teemo versus myself (Singed)and Ashe in bot lane. Ashe and I were doing great in the early game phase, and we got a few kills on Fiddle and Teemo. The game started out with all four of us fighting and dying in a level 1 2v2. It was somewhat amusing.

But when mid-game rolled around, Fiddle started crushing my team. He would ult in and everyone would melt. He would silence and drain life and then escape. By the end of the game, the rest of his team had bad K/D/A scores, but he was something like 33/7/8.

From mid-game onward, after it became readily apparent that Fiddle was the only real threat on the enemy team, I told my team, which consisted of mostly squishies, to buy a negatron cloak, or at least some form of MR. We could win teamfights if Fiddle died first or if he wasn't around, but otherwise we lost them every time. No one on my team bought any MR the entire game. So frustrating.

Moral of the story: buying a chain mail or a negatron cloak can go a long way to keeping you alive as a carry during the mid-game fights, which translates into more damage. Do not get trapped into thinking that the only way to increase your damage output is to buy damage items. Sometimes you need one defensive item earlier in the game, just to survive long enough to kill the enemy team.

You can't always build glass cannon and get away with it.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

entris posted:

What? How did you not completely mush Fiddles into the ground in laning? Ashes drop every volley she has on him, the second he goes to drain anything you run in for the flip, boom easiest kill there is. I mean, unless Teemo was just dropping his csing to babysit Fiddles there is no way she should have ever made it through laning to become a threat. If that happened, then Teemo should have been useless for ~70% of the game because he got no CS.

e: It's a smurf game, but Fiddles is really hard to play and not be useless with. Difficulty that increases by him being dumb enough to try laning.

linall fucked around with this message at May 4, 2012 around 14:43

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

linall posted:

What? How did you not completely mush Fiddles into the ground in laning? Ashes drop every volley she has on him, the second he goes to drain anything you run in for the flip, boom easiest kill there is. I mean, unless Teemo was just dropping his csing to babysit Fiddles there is no way she should have ever made it through laning to become a threat. If that happened, then Teemo should have been useless for ~70% of the game because he got no CS.

e: It's a smurf game, but Fiddles is really hard to play and not be useless with. Difficulty that increases by him being dumb enough to try laning.

Well, it happened somewhat like you said. Teemo was useless until very late-game, and we did kill Fiddle and Teemo during the laning phase. But once lanes began to break down, Fiddle starting killing my teammates in other lanes. He racked up several kills against them, and started to get his item build rolling, and just snowballed.

Part of my frustration with my teammates was the fact that Fiddle should not have been much of a threat coming out of the laning phase, except that no one had any MR at all, so he was able to get kills. If my teammates had bought the Null-Magic Shroud,or whatever the 400g MR cloak is, at the start of mid-game, they probably could have avoided dying to him. But no.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

entris posted:

Moral of the story: buying a chain mail or a negatron cloak can go a long way to keeping you alive as a carry during the mid-game fights, which translates into more damage. Do not get trapped into thinking that the only way to increase your damage output is to buy damage items. Sometimes you need one defensive item earlier in the game, just to survive long enough to kill the enemy team.

Holy crap, the rest of your post is standard low level play that I could be like well not really and post how you could do better but this THIS is completely correct. Sure most of the time you could say but well if I had better positioning or well if my team guarded me better, but sometimes that just doesn't happen or sometimes they decided to have 3 assassins and just grabbing that neg cloak saves your life. Having a flexible build is very important, and sometimes even level 30s have a hard time swallowing this fact.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Holy crap, the rest of your post is standard low level play that I could be like well not really and post how you could do better but this THIS is completely correct. Sure most of the time you could say but well if I had better positioning or well if my team guarded me better, but sometimes that just doesn't happen or sometimes they decided to have 3 assassins and just grabbing that neg cloak saves your life. Having a flexible build is very important, and sometimes even level 30s have a hard time swallowing this fact.

Don't get me wrong - wards and proper positioning would have gone a loooong way to avoiding Fiddle ults. In a high level game, I agree that you would expect carries to build their big-ticket DPS items first, and rely on proper positioning, wards, and teammates to stay alive.

Since it was low-level, I didn't expect my teammates to start buying wards or suddenly improve their positioning. As Singed, I constantly protected my squishies, but I had very little margin for error because no one had any defensive items of any kind - no MR and no armor - so anyone who got caught in Fiddle's ult was dead almost instantly.

I figured that it was reasonable to tell them to interrupt their builds and just buy a little MR to dull the pain of Fiddle's ult. Easy for them to do, doesn't require any skill to buy an item.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

If the enemy team has physical Assassins like Talon, Riven, along with the usual AD Carry lineup, its often a good idea to invest in a Wriggles as the AD carry to supplement your early game and avoid being easily gibbed by them.

The AD Carry item plan is something like:

Boots -> Doran x 2 -> Vamp Scepter/Berserker Boots

After which is about the you decide if you want to build up for a B.F Sword for I.E., go Zeal for more mobility or invest in the Wriggles for the armor/Dragon control.

Wriggles is really important if you are say, Kog, and you are fighting against Urgot. It really helps melt Dragon that much faster, given the enemy little time to react and of course applies to Baron as well.

If they have something like Morgana, you grab your Negatron sometime after your first big B.F. Sword upgrade item and plan on going to a QSS.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at May 4, 2012 around 15:12

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

entris posted:

Don't get me wrong - wards and proper positioning would have gone a loooong way to avoiding Fiddle ults. In a high level game, I agree that you would expect carries to build their big-ticket DPS items first, and rely on proper positioning, wards, and teammates to stay alive.

Since it was low-level, I didn't expect my teammates to start buying wards or suddenly improve their positioning. As Singed, I constantly protected my squishies, but I had very little margin for error because no one had any defensive items of any kind - no MR and no armor - so anyone who got caught in Fiddle's ult was dead almost instantly.

I figured that it was reasonable to tell them to interrupt their builds and just buy a little MR to dull the pain of Fiddle's ult. Easy for them to do, doesn't require any skill to buy an item.

I know I'm agreeing with you, and saying that even at mid levels of play this is a problem and I wish people did this more.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

loving finally hit level 20, and I am ready to buy some T3 runes, I haven't bought anymore pages yet, so I only have to two to fill up. I think I am going to do 1 for AD champs and 1 for AP champs. I tend to play Lulu, Ryze, Annie, Garen, and Sivir, I haven't jungled at all yet outside of bot games. I feel like right now taking flat AP and AD runes, and then maybe some, MR and armor should cover anything I will need, most of the dudes I play against don't build anything that resembles armor, so I think spell pen and armor pen would be wasted at this point. The only thing I am not sure about are Quints, what is the best bang for your buck as far as they are concerned?

nucleicmaxid
Aug 23, 2007

mpen and apen are even more valuable if they have almost no armor. You can easily be doing true damage, by reducing it to zero or below.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

nucleicmaxid posted:

mpen and apen are even more valuable if they have almost no armor. You can easily be doing true damage, by reducing it to zero or below.

You can only reduce below zero with Armor/MR reduction, not with penetration. Reduction is applied first...this is the order if I remember right
flat red>% red>flat pen>% pen

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

bengy81 posted:

loving finally hit level 20, and I am ready to buy some T3 runes, I haven't bought anymore pages yet, so I only have to two to fill up. I think I am going to do 1 for AD champs and 1 for AP champs. I tend to play Lulu, Ryze, Annie, Garen, and Sivir, I haven't jungled at all yet outside of bot games. I feel like right now taking flat AP and AD runes, and then maybe some, MR and armor should cover anything I will need, most of the dudes I play against don't build anything that resembles armor, so I think spell pen and armor pen would be wasted at this point. The only thing I am not sure about are Quints, what is the best bang for your buck as far as they are concerned?

Champs have a base amount of armor and MR, so it's not like the *pen is wasted. If anything, you can just cut Last Whisper/Void Staff/whatever out of your build, instead.

As for quints, you could either just grab more AD/AP or you could grab some flat health regen quints (it'll cost you the same either way).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

"I would like to formally apologize for being your cop."

bengy81 posted:

A generic AP mid page would be flat AP quints, magic penetration marks, a mix of flat and scaling MP5 seals, and flat MR or scaling AP glyphs -- scaling glyphs equalize at level 7 with flat glyphs so champions like Annie whose plan is "get level 6, kill opponent" are happy enough to have the scaling glyphs. Flat MR glyphs and flat AP quints let you trade really well early on; scaling AP quints take forever to equalize and are basically irrelevant by the time they're noticeably stronger.

I'm not exactly sure how Ryze works now but I suspect that flat AP won't be a huge boon to him, but they will do.

A generic AD carry page would include AD marks and quints, armor seals, and scaling or flat MR glyphs.

Flat penetration is better the more you stack it, right up until you completely penetrate their defenses. As Garen, for example, you might want a page of armor penetration reds & quints and to get an early Brutalizer -- if they don't build any armor or have armor seals you'll be doing full damage to them. Flat penetration is actually countered by building more armor because it's most potent the less armor your enemy has -- if you lower someone's armor from 50 to 0 you'll do 50% more damage while if you lower it from 100 to 50 you'll only be doing 33% more damage. AD carries are usually better off with flat AD runes and buying a last whisper mid-game (if the enemy ever buys armor, anyway).

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

Get Jax, he's perfectly viable and has the same snowball mentality.

Speaking of Jax, I've been looking around for something to help me learn him outside of getting my rear end handed to me in random matchups - most of the guides online (including the Goonlol site) haven't been updated since dodge was altered and his skills (? I think most of them) were changed.

Guinsoo's Rageblade, Hextech Gunblade, and Trinity Force seem like the obvious choices, but I have no idea about what I should really be doing in lane (beyond the obvious) and I could also use some pointers on Skill selection.

Errata: Can Jax jump to wards?

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011

ThCawdor posted:

Jax can jump to wards. It is awesome.

Carados
Jan 27, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

ThCawdor posted:

Speaking of Jax, I've been looking around for something to help me learn him outside of getting my rear end handed to me in random matchups - most of the guides online (including the Goonlol site) haven't been updated since dodge was altered and his skills (? I think most of them) were changed.

Guinsoo's Rageblade, Hextech Gunblade, and Trinity Force seem like the obvious choices, but I have no idea about what I should really be doing in lane (beyond the obvious) and I could also use some pointers on Skill selection.

The standard Jax build is max whatever you need in lane, they're all great (maxing E gives you more uptime on the time you can't get hit), then trinity gunblade in whatever order you need, then tanky.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 26, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation

ldragon posted:

Jax can jump to wards. It is awesome.

It reveals them for a short time, though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

kaschei posted:

A generic AP mid page would be flat AP quints, magic penetration marks, a mix of flat and scaling MP5 seals, and flat MR or scaling AP glyphs -- scaling glyphs equalize at level 7 with flat glyphs so champions like Annie whose plan is "get level 6, kill opponent" are happy enough to have the scaling glyphs. Flat MR glyphs and flat AP quints let you trade really well early on; scaling AP quints take forever to equalize and are basically irrelevant by the time they're noticeably stronger.

I'm not exactly sure how Ryze works now but I suspect that flat AP won't be a huge boon to him, but they will do.

A generic AD carry page would include AD marks and quints, armor seals, and scaling or flat MR glyphs.

Flat penetration is better the more you stack it, right up until you completely penetrate their defenses. As Garen, for example, you might want a page of armor penetration reds & quints and to get an early Brutalizer -- if they don't build any armor or have armor seals you'll be doing full damage to them. Flat penetration is actually countered by building more armor because it's most potent the less armor your enemy has -- if you lower someone's armor from 50 to 0 you'll do 50% more damage while if you lower it from 100 to 50 you'll only be doing 33% more damage. AD carries are usually better off with flat AD runes and buying a last whisper mid-game (if the enemy ever buys armor, anyway).

Thanks for this and all the other advice given out regarding runes. I see a lot of the guides have very specific rune setups, and I just don't have the kind of moolah or the IP to do them all.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Here I post;
I can do no other.

The best feeling is when I start a draft game, find out my four teammates want to communicate, and then halfway through champ select some jerk on the other team dodges

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The best feeling is when I start a draft game, find out my four teammates want to communicate, and then halfway through champ select some jerk on the other team dodges

No, the best feeling is crushing your lane as Alistar paired with Tristana against Vayne paired with Soraka, and then having your team win a surrender at 20:01, and then in your next game you are teamed up with the Vayne that you just crushed. Who comes into your next game saying that he's in a really bad mood, doesn't even care right now, and who goes AP/CDR Ashe.

I have never before been matched up with someone that I just crushed. That was a mean play from the matchmaker. :\

bengy81
May 8, 2010

^^^ I had the opposite happen earlier today, got teamed with a Teemo who insisted on mid, and built AP, he wasn't "bad," but he was very pushy and whiny, kind of demoralized the rest of the team a lot. Next game he ended up on the other team, and I was able to tell our mid how to deal with him and we rolled them into a 25 min surrender. It was glorious.

Also, holy poo poo is Jax fun, only other melee champ I ever really liked was Garen, but man, I love just Q'ing into the middle of a fight and tearing dudes up.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

Roger Craig does not approve.

So I find myself playing as Fizz alot with an AP build and it's insanely fun. Yes he's squishy and limited but it's hilarious to nail someone with the OMG GIANT loving SHARK ultimate when they're standing behind a turret thinking they're safe.

I've won 7 of my last 8 games playing as him. I think I found my guy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Here I post;
I can do no other.

TheHoosier posted:

So I find myself playing as Fizz alot [...] it's hilarious to nail someone with the OMG GIANT loving SHARK ultimate when they're standing behind a turret thinking they're safe.

Long-range abilities are fun and make me say "heh heh heh," unless I'm the target (in which case I say "oh crap"). If you think Fizz is fun, try lobbing bombs at a clump of opponents with Ziggs, or calling in air support for your teammates with Gangplank

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Wouldn't entirely agree with this in practice, when playing 99% of the classic AD carries you shouldn't really build a defensive item at all till infinity edge/phantom dancer is finished and you have a vamp sceptre. Otherwise you're really not doing your job, which is melting people.

By all means grab a chain mail/null magic mantle for your GA before getting last whisper/bloodthirster or whatever but if you're building it any earlier I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really getting gibbed on (read: aforementioned 3 assassins team).

90% of the problems with playing AD carry I imagine people who don't have like 600+ games of LoL under their belts (or something silly) are probably positioning based. If you want to patch it up by building defensive items outside of a 5th item GA/banshee's veil, go ahead but don't get into the habit ):

MinibarMatchman
Jun 1, 2011

Insect posse
will be crushed

So I've been getting to play as Twisted Fate for the first ever and he's pretty fun to play as; pumping out mana-boosting cards and gold stun cards while flashing Wild Card all day is too fun. However, I can't help but feel I'm still subpar because I'm not always certain when to pop Destiny.
Usually, I'll put it on only when 1) a near-death enemy is going to trundle away, or 2) I have no idea where anyone is and I need to provide security. Any pro TF advice? I'm rolling AP TF, for the most part.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

MinibarMatchman posted:

So I've been getting to play as Twisted Fate for the first ever and he's pretty fun to play as; pumping out mana-boosting cards and gold stun cards while flashing Wild Card all day is too fun. However, I can't help but feel I'm still subpar because I'm not always certain when to pop Destiny.
Usually, I'll put it on only when 1) a near-death enemy is going to trundle away, or 2) I have no idea where anyone is and I need to provide security. Any pro TF advice? I'm rolling AP TF, for the most part.

TF's Sidelane gank is really strong. If top or bot is pushed past river, clear your wave, and move to gank and proceed to give zero fucks about wards. Unless their own mid expects your shenanigans, calls it and the sidelane responds, Destiny can secure a kill. One of the funniest things I saw was Noc and TF on the same team. That gank was incredibly brutal (although there are lategame team comp problems with 'team global ults'). But yeah, learn when to sidelane gank, collect wins.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

I'm convinced Varus is loving unstoppable.

Two Bloodthirsters + Two Phantom Dancer made for a 30-2-8 game for me, and two aces in a row while keeping the other team stuck in their spawn. It's pretty unreal.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

"I would like to formally apologize for being your cop."

MinibarMatchman posted:

Other times to use destiny:
- When your jungler is ganking another lane.
- When their jungler is ganking another lane and you could save someone or turn it around.
- When fighting Vayne, Akali, Talon, and Shaco it can counter their "tactical" stealth.

Carados
Jan 27, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

E1M5 posted:

I'm convinced Varus is loving unstoppable.

Two Bloodthirsters + Two Phantom Dancer made for a 30-2-8 game for me, and two aces in a row while keeping the other team stuck in their spawn. It's pretty unreal.

The thing is, that's not unique to Varus. If you're that far ahead as a ranged carry, you can do poo poo like that. Varus isn't even the best at getting there without proper support, he's just really good against certain lanes and certain play styles that bad players tend to have.

You'd actually be better off with an Infinity Edge and maybe a Last Whisper instead of doubling up, but that's another story.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

Carados posted:

The thing is, that's not unique to Varus. If you're that far ahead as a ranged carry, you can do poo poo like that. Varus isn't even the best at getting there without proper support, he's just really good against certain lanes and certain play styles that bad players tend to have.

You'd actually be better off with an Infinity Edge and maybe a Last Whisper instead of doubling up, but that's another story.

I agree, I'm just obsessed with his ult + Q combo. I've been able to kill countless people off screen too with absolute ease.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Which IP boosts are the best value? I'm getting close to 20 and I have about 8k IP right now, but I want more! I've decided I like playing Tristana and I "get" her playstyle, so I'm going to be buying the runes that the guide I've been following suggest, but they are more expensive than what I have. Not to mention I want more IP than I need for future purchases.

So...which IP boost is the best "bang for your buck"?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

E1M5 posted:

I agree, I'm just obsessed with his ult + Q combo. I've been able to kill countless people off screen too with absolute ease.

Play AP Nidalee, Q into Baron pit for free buffs/300g.

a medical mystery
Dec 15, 2007

You're cute!

Oddity posted:

Which IP boosts are the best value? I'm getting close to 20 and I have about 8k IP right now, but I want more! I've decided I like playing Tristana and I "get" her playstyle, so I'm going to be buying the runes that the guide I've been following suggest, but they are more expensive than what I have. Not to mention I want more IP than I need for future purchases.

So...which IP boost is the best "bang for your buck"?

I wouldn't buy any IP boosts, not worth the money compared to just buying stuff with the rp. If you must have one you can get the most value out of the x day ones as long as you time your purchase for when you have the most free time.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

But he wants runes, which you can only buy with ip.

I don't know what runes you think you need for Tristana, but the standard is:

flat ad quints
flat ad marks
flat armor seals
flat or scaling MR glyphs.

I don't think any of them are too expensive, and the flat armor and MR runes are pretty much golden on any champ in any role.

But yeah, most value is 14 days and poopsocking it for those 14 days.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

mushi posted:

I don't know what runes you think you need for Tristana, but the standard is:

flat ad quints
flat ad marks
flat armor seals
flat or scaling MR glyphs.

If you follow DNK's rune suggestions for AD Carries (his "AD Burst" page), for example, you end up with ArPen marks and quints, flat armor seals, and flat CDR glyphs, costing (according to my quick napkin math) just over 16K IP.

(Your suggestion, by the way, costs about 8.7K.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

This is the build I'm going with: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-l...truction-137728

FlatAD Quints
Flat ArPen Marks
Flat Armor Seals
Flat MR Glyphs

According to the guide, they are designed around giving Tristana the most early game power available, since she's already such a strong early gamer. According to the guide, if you start with a lovely early game, it's really hard to get where you need to be in the late game.

And yes, I want to buy IP boosts with RP because you can't buy glyphs with RP.

If I buy a 1 day IP boost and poopsock 1 day, is that worth it? I won't ever have 7 days to poopsock, but I can fit in a day or 2.

«231 »