Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Someone asked USpol the 3 books that most influenced their political outlook, it's led to some great recommendations.

FYI: Cool and pretty poster Cingulate and myself recommend The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker. Ya'll should read it. It's good.

It's actually pretty crap. Lots of dubious statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

What's the consensus about Cannadine's Ornamentalism?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Silver2195 posted:

It's shocking that USPOL would recommend a book that's wrong about everything. Just shocking.

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

Silver2195 posted:

Pinker indeed has a track record of cherrypicking studies - Blank Slate is pretty much solely based on studies about separated twins, but he casually glosses over the fact that they weren't separated at birth necessarily. That said, his books are somewhat entertaining, as long as you take them with a heavy grain of salt.

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

And speaking of an actual recommendation - just finished Why the West Rules.. For Now by Ian Morris. Excellent overview of history of the West diverged from the East, if somewhat superficial given the scope of the book. It's very readable as well, which can't be always said for history books. He combines several fields together to create a "social development index" which he uses to track and explain how the divergence happened.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Steven Pinker has a long and distinguished career of getting everything wrong

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Puppy Bowl posted:

the 3 books that most influenced their political outlook

Nixon Agonistes (great description of the end of liberalism)
Illuminatus! (runner up for this spot was Catch 22)
The Brothers Karamazov (George W. Bush's favorite book)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Hey, I had this question a couple of days ago in USPol and forgot to ask here: any recommendations on FBI post-Hoover history or just the whole thing à la Legacy of Ashes?

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

stone cold posted:

Hey, I had this question a couple of days ago in USPol and forgot to ask here: any recommendations on FBI post-Hoover history or just the whole thing à la Legacy of Ashes?

From the very same guy who wrote Legacy of Ashes

https://www.amazon.com/Enemies-History-FBI-Tim-Weiner/dp/0812979230

I recommend :-)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm looking for a book on Malcolm X. Is there a standard book you people can recommend? Not looking for his autobiography or speeches etc., I'm more interested in a historical investigation.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

sumie posted:

Ah, doy, that was dumb of me, I should've probably checked his bibliography haha.

Thank you so much, though~!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Do any read along threads still exist / is there interest in doing some new ones?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 1, 2016

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

sumie posted:

Neither Legacy of Ashes nor Enemies are considered very good by historians, just FYI. Rhodri Jeffrey-Jones is a respected historian of the field who wrote a book on the FBI, though I haven't personally read it. Possibly less exciting, but also less sensationalist and better founded.

If you want a more thorough look at books on the FBI, this chapter in a book is worth reading: https://books.google.com/books?id=jUqrBgAAQBAJ&lpg=PA129&ots=ImjkwP5wBU&dq=historiography%20fbi&pg=PA129#v=onepage&q&f=false

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 1, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm going political in next month's book barn book of the month if anyone here wants in:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799881

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Academician Nomad posted:

Neither Legacy of Ashes nor Enemies are considered very good by historians, just FYI. Rhodri Jeffrey-Jones is a respected historian of the field who wrote a book on the FBI, though I haven't personally read it. Possibly less exciting, but also less sensationalist and better founded.

If you want a more thorough look at books on the FBI, this chapter in a book is worth reading: https://books.google.com/books?id=jUqrBgAAQBAJ&lpg=PA129&ots=ImjkwP5wBU&dq=historiography%20fbi&pg=PA129#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. I read CIA's less-than-favourable review of Legacy of Ashes, but I've generally heard and read good things, including in reddit AskHistorians which is generally pretty okay resource, but it's always hard to tell because everyone kinda upvotes what they want to upvote.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

sumie posted:

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. I read CIA's less-than-favourable review of Legacy of Ashes, but I've generally heard and read good things, including in reddit AskHistorians which is generally pretty okay resource, but it's always hard to tell because everyone kinda upvotes what they want to upvote.

In general the best historians for history of espionage/intelligence, in no order and probably missing quite a few, are:

James Bamford
Tim Naftali
Haynes and Klehr
Jeffrey Richelson
Christopher Andrew
Rhodri Jeffrey-Jones
maybe Kristie Macrakis

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Is Ghost Wars worth checking out? I see it recommended frequently.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

If I wanted to get angry at Ronald Reagan what's a good book for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Dimebags Brain posted:

If I wanted to get angry at Ronald Reagan what's a good book for that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_I_Want_to_Fuck_Ronald_Reagan

• Locked thread