Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I thought the movie was very well casted - particularly the leads - and quite well acted. Good pacing and dialog, and fun, low-on-cliche action sequences (in particular, thank heaven that shakey cam seems to be going out of favor). It lacked a lot of the groan inducing dialog that partially hampered some of the other X-Men movies, while keeping the best elements of those films (interesting relationships, the joy of these people discovering their power, etc..).

The varied audience I watched it with clearly enjoyed the film. It makes for a good date movie - nothing particularly objectionable, very accessible story, a nice little bromance, a bit of melodrama. It also works as a straight action movie, and has rewards for at least the casual comic book fan (as I am). Naturally anyone with more than a passing knowledge of the story (even someone who'd just watched the other films, like my wife) is going to see quickly how some of the plot threads are going to unwind. That's the curse of being a prequel, or even of being based on established fiction. But if you choose to, you can enjoy these parts.

That said, one certainly shouldn't expect too much. I think the natural comparison is the first two X-Men movies. This film is very much in the same vein, but is - at least in my opinion - a little better.

quote:

...power of defying the laws of physics...

I like a movie that is consistent on its physical laws, and I like superhero movies where powers are at least reasonably consistent - so I don't object to this kind of complaint on a "why are you crying about physics in a comic book movie" basis.

Whole thing spoilered, for laziness (sorry): Rather, I'd say that you've got it backwards. The norm is usually that Magneto's powers don't comply to any sort of "equal and opposite force" sort of thing - his powers seem normally to work as kind of a "remote control" more than a "manipulating forces in relation to himself" sort of way. So the odd part, to me, is when his powers do seem to "pull him along" or "push him down when he lifts something up" or whatever. I mean, clearly we have to play very loose on physics to make any of this work. That's a bullet we have to bite to have these movies... but I'd prefer if powers worked consistently. To me, that makes the whole thing more satisfying. To me, it'd be simpler if they just chose to make him independent of any forces he's exerting. Otherwise, it's kind of silly that he can make himself fly by lifting himself by his belt buckles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU