Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Went to see it feeling vaguely apprehensive after The Last Stand and Wolverine Origins had turned out to be, well, just not worth watching at all. But after the Nolan Batman movies and even the second Hulk movie for example I'm absolutely willing to give a movie that mentions the word "reboot" a chance. And this one did not disappoint.

Starting on familiar ground with a recreation of the first scene in the first X-Men movie, I was sucked in. The story manages to make Magneto easy to sympathize with and gives Charles Xavier more of a personality. The movie kept me thoroughly entertained throughout its duration and it's also got quite a few good supporting roles (as well as a few less memorable ones). The Sixties communist scare era makes for a great setting. What complaints I have are relatively minor, such as Emma Frost turning into diamond almost constantly for seemingly no other reason than "ooh shiny" or the scope of time being too short on Charles and Erik actually being friends. Due to what was probably an overload of little plotlines and side characters we've also missed out on some great gross out gags with Angel Salvadore, but oh well, still a minor thing.

As a horrible comic book nerd I put some effort into not nitpicking and just enjoying the movie. It worked for the most part but I genuinely hadn't noticed the apparently tired trope of Darwin AKA The Black Man dying first until my friend pointed it out to me. I had assumed that (spoiler for non comic book readers?) it was a reference to his first appearance in the comic where he ends up being basically the sole survivor of his old team. In fact I was half expecting him to come back at any time in the movie.

I can't give it any less than a 5/5 score. It's not the defining cinematic masterpiece of our generation or even the best movie I've ever seen but it's everything a superhero movie should be, it's very entertaining, has likeable characters being played by good actors and I'll happily go see it again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU