Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSuck
Jul 22, 2005

by T. Mascis
I really liked this one. First Class contrasts to the first three films which inserted subtle elements for adult audiences but remained action oriented and fairly lighthearted. This film takes a different approach with some really great darker elements, character development, and dialogue. Also, it's refreshing to see a comic movie which didn't fill the screen constantly with emotionally disconnected and shallow action scenes and CGI seizuring at me. Which I'm assuming is where the Dark Knight comparison of quality is coming from.

Unfortunately, this one clashes with some of the other film's established history. It was great to see the Cold War setting. It really reminded me of a Watchmen ripoff at some points, though. I can see how the fast moving plot may have been confusing to some viewers if one isn't familiar with the history of the missile crisis.

A few minor eye rolling moments made it in (token black guy dying, the wtf idea to kill the mutants at the end, etc...) but the dialogue and fast pacing made it palatable so I'll give it a pass on this issue. With the genre of comic movies it seems difficult to transfer print to film and stay true to the franchise without some degree of cliche being forced, especially with Marvel.

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU