Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
It was enjoyable and fairly intelligently handled overall but it doesn't have the feeling of depth to it that I would have wanted - it's rather didactic to the point that characters announce how you're supposed to feel about a scene in their dialogue.  Still, it did have good emotion in parts - there are points where it gets a bit of that. Sadly this is put off by the fact that it moved a bit too fast in parts. Still, it was a good film. Totally worth seeing and overall stronger than the other x-men movies.

My favorite parts were those that made allusions to Russian psychic warfare vs US MK-Ultra stuff - there it felt like we were literally seeing some of the kind of pulp science psychic warfare stuff that whack-jobs in the kremlin and goat-staring guys in the US only dreamed about. That stuff was actually my favorite. I also enjoyed seeing heroes come into their own a bit.

Unfortunately I felt that not enough time was spent to let the characters breathe enough as I would have liked. Their personal stories beyond a central few don't really have too much to them aside from setting up the final spectacle battles of the film. The movie kind of rushes along at a frentic pace towards this too. It doesn't really let the audience do any guessing for themselves - making it feel definitely like a kids film wearing adult make-up. Not that that's not entertaining, just that Dark Knight's Joker, for example, definitely had me guessing, and questioning whether he was really the bad guy totally sometimes...leaving me feeling conflicted and violated as I wrestled with these ideas. This film doesn't allow for such ambiguities or personal involvement.

The climax of the film is also fairly predictable and feels way too cartoonish. LETS BLOW UP THE MUTANTS HURR...oh hey somehow russia is deciding with us at the same time to blow them up. Wait we forgot one of them just LIFTED A loving SUB OUT OF THE WATER WITH HIS MAGNETIC POWERS. Oh and somehow in spite of the fact that we know there's thousands of mutants everywhere we're going to kill the one that can help us find them because we actually think killing this handfull of them will get rid of our 'mutant problem'...great plan. There's lots of points in the film which the filmmakers apparently went to the school of filmmaking where the philosophy is to use music and frentic onscreen action to hide the lack of tension the way that a laugh track covers up the fact that a comedy TV scene isn't funny. There's only a few scenes with some tension in the movie...most of it is just spectacle. Pretty spectacle but it's disappointing to see modern mainstream filmmakers don't understand something as elemental as tension.

Also one thing I can't really forgive is that the black guy is the one who 'tragically dies.' Come on. Seriously? THAT of all tropes? In this day and age?

I think this is one of the more competently handled superhero movies. But I think it's drastically overstating things to say it is 'the best superhero movie since The Dark Knight.' Definitely worth seeing. Very entertaining. You will enjoy it. It's just not a film whose plot I feel will hold up quite so well on repeated viewings.

3/5

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU