Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
EDIT: Never mind. Figured out a way to increase my Will by 4 across two levels so I'll be doing that instead.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm not asking you guys to build me a character, but a point in the right direction would be great! I have a concept, and I would like to somehow keep it effective in combat.

My character is a Kenku who wants to replace a god for immortality. I've checked it out with the GM as a character concept, and he was cool with it since he knows I can play complex characters without being a total asshat. Everyone is playing Chaotic Neutral / Evil characters, but I'm hoping it'll still be fun.

The thing is, for my character, I want to hybrid him as a bard / cleric for RP reasons. (The bird is a performer, and the Cleric for his knowledge about religions and worshipping one of the dead gods with the intent to replace them.)

This is backstory, and basically just a way to figure out what my characters motivations would be in a given situation. (Aligning himself more with the god he wants to replace, or bargaining for more money / knowledge for his goals.)

How do I make this mechanically viable?

TL;DR?How do I make a mechanically viable Kenku Cleric / Bard hybrid, or are there other religious/performace classes that would be "better." We're starting at level 5 if that helps.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 5, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Honestly, going Kenku bard and putting the whole religious thing as fluff would probably be a better bet. Clerics hybrid amazingly, but Bards use completely different stats, which weakens the hybriding potential. As a Cha + Dex/Int race, Kenku make decent Cunning Bards, though their racial support isn't great. Plus, as a bard with a decent intelligence, you'll have a higher religion stat anyway, with the ability to bluff out of getting accused about becoming a god if you want to be sneaky.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

TL;DR?How do I make a mechanically viable Kenku Cleric / Bard hybrid, or are there other religious/performace classes that would be "better." We're starting at level 5 if that helps.

Okay. Cleric/Bard is sort of a bad combo, especially for Kenku. The problem here is that Clerics are Wis/Str and Kenku are Cha|(Dex/Int), so the stats don't work. And even if Kenku were Cha|Wis, that's still putting both high stats in the same NAD(Non-Armor-Defense).

Because of that, I went with Bard|Paladin. Paladin is a divine class that gets to go Cha primary, and the hybrid talent lets you run a pure 18 and still keep a decent armor stat. This is what I came up with:

quote:

level 5
Kenku, Paladin|Bard
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 21.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 18.

AC: 21 Fort: 16 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 46 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
History +10, Religion +10, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +6, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +2, Heal +3, Insight +3,
Intimidate +8, Nature +3, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Streetwise +8, Thievery +1, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Mighty Crusader Expertise
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Staggering Note
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Majestic Halo
Hybrid utility 2: Virtue
Hybrid encounter 3: Rally the Spectral Host
Hybrid daily 5: Timeless Trek in Mithrendain

ITEMS
Shielding Blade Fullblade +1, Symbol of Dire Fate +1, Plate Armor, Amulet of Protection +2

He's got plate armor, a fullblade, and mostly melee powers. Wade into battle, hit things with the fullblade. Mark things.

This isn't a particularly optimized build and there's a lot of tweaking that could be done with it, but I think it's a solid starting point for the concept.

Personally, I would play this build in most low/mid char-op games without hesitation.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

berenzen posted:

Honestly, going Kenku bard and putting the whole religious thing as fluff would probably be a better bet. Clerics hybrid amazingly, but Bards use completely different stats, which weakens the hybriding potential. As a Cha + Dex/Int race, Kenku make decent Cunning Bards, though their racial support isn't great. Plus, as a bard with a decent intelligence, you'll have a higher religion stat anyway, with the ability to bluff out of getting accused about becoming a god if you want to be sneaky.

Man I wish I had come back sooner, after I had read this,

berenzen posted:

I just assumed that no-one was going to bother! I'm probably going to go with your build Khizan, but if you want to laugh at my work here's what I ended up with in the end.

quote:

level 5
Kenku, Bard/Cleric
Animal Master Starting Feature Option: Cat
Hybrid Bard Option: Hybrid Bard Will
Hybrid Cleric Option: Healer's Lore
Inherent Bonuses
Sewer Wretch (Arcana class skill)
Theme: Animal Master

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 14, WIS 15, CHA 15

AC: 19 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 19
HP: 45 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Bluff +13, Intimidate +11, Religion +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Athletics +1, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +3, Heal +6, History +6, Insight +6, Nature +6, Perception +6, Stealth +4, Streetwise +7, Thievery +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Animal Master Attack: Distracting Attack
Kenku Utility: Flock Tactics
Bard Feature: Majestic Word
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Cleric Attack 1: Sacred Flame
Bard Attack 1: Cutting Words
Cleric Attack 1: Vengeful Flare
Cleric Attack 1: Horde of Spiders
Cleric Utility 2: Divine Skill
Bard Attack 3: Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade
Bard Attack 5: Vigorous Cadence

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Banded Mail
Level 2: Ritual Caster
Level 4: Hidden Sniper

ITEMS
Moon Banded Mail +1 x1
Songbow of Vanishment Longbow +1 x1
Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier) x1
Cloak of Resistance +1 x1
Bracers of Respite (heroic tier) x1

The idea was to have a bunch of rituals on scrolls, since you can use a lot of them as a standard action. You can probably tell where I hosed up. I kind of wish that the Character Builder would add in the bonuses from the items I'm using ontop of that though.

Still bad. tbh.

Thanks for your help I'll use your paladin build, and see if there is a way to make the numbers work on this one in the mean time!

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Wanting to usurp a (long-dead) god also sounds really Warlock-y, and Warlock/Bard can make a really good 5th man sorta character with a lot of flex in the build depending on what your team needs.

Cunning Bard / Sorcerer-King Warlock will have the Charisma of a performer (Bluff + Diplomacy) and the Int needed to hit those high Religion (and Arcana) checks, plus whatever mix of damage, control, and support you want.

Also, if you're into it, you can set up some pretty great teleportation shenanigans. Maybe the insane presence of your corpse deity warps space around you? Could be fun.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you guys help me out again? I came in with my Paladin and everyone wants to match me in power levels, but I'm not sure how optimizing works. :gonk:

My GF in particular wants me to make her DragonBorn Ardent good, and Idk how.

code:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sulfanila, level 5
Dragonborn, Ardent
Ardent Mantle Option: Mantle of Elation
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Constitution
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Acid
Inherent Bonuses
Created (Nature class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 17, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 19

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 16

AC: 15 Fort: 17 Ref: 13 Will: 18
HP: 49 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Heal +9, Intimidate +13, Nature +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Athletics +2, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +5, History +4, Insight +4, Perception +4, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +6, Thievery +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Ardent Feature: Ardent Outrage
Ardent Feature: Ardent Surge
Ardent Attack 1: Impetuous Ruin
Ardent Attack 1: Psionic Shield
Ardent Attack 1: Wormhole Plunge
Dragonborn Utility 2: Baleful Glance
Ardent Attack 3: Withered Technique
Ardent Attack 5: Empowered Arsenal

FEATS
Level 1: Enlarged Dragon Breath
Level 2: Animal Empathy
Level 4: Mounted Combat

ITEMS
Dejada
Leather Armor x1
Heavy war pick x1
Dire Wolf
====== End ======
You guys did so well last time I'm hoping you can do so again. Her Direwolf is something she bought in game so she took the mounted combat and Animal Empathy Feats, but I don't think she attacks from the back of the animal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, those two feats suck balls. Replace the Direwolf with the Fey Beast Tamer theme, fiddling with mechanics as necessary. A Large beast wouldn't harm it too much.

(A Dragonborn is likely to be WAY too heavy to ride a direwolf anyway, though screw the encumbrance rules)

Basically Ardents want lots of CHA and lots of their secondary attack, and to use the one (IIRC) 3rd-llevel power that debuffs enemy defences in a burst 1 basically all the time. It's boring but pretty effective.

Have you read the charop guide?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah but I'm not sure what an Ardent's primary ability is, it seems split between CON and CHA? or did she do that when she picked the mantle? I also wasn't expecting a super fast reply to be honest, so I was going to update once I took a second look at it, and optimized the best I could myself while also keeping her RP stuff in there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah but I'm not sure what an Ardent's primary ability is, it seems split between CON and CHA? or did she do that when she picked the mantle? I also wasn't expecting a super fast reply to be honest, so I was going to update once I took a second look at it, and optimized the best I could myself while also keeping her RP stuff in there.

It is Cha. You either want 18 Cha/14 Whatever the Secondary is or 16/16 on both, but you have a +2 modifier to both because of your race (which Dragonborns can do).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Ardents are CHA/CON or CHA/WIS IIRC. And IIRC the CHA/CON variant was generally thought to be stronger. Been a LONG while since I've messed with one tbh.

Patrin, level 16
Dragonborn, Ardent, Fear Walker
Build: Euphoric Ardent
Ardent Mantle: Mantle of Clarity
Dragonborn Subrace: Standard Dragonborn Racial Traits
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Background: Auspicious Birth, Tymanther, Crusading Zealot, Noble Scion, Occupation - Scholar, Fervent Commander (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 9, Wis 12, Cha 23.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 17.

AC: 29 Fort: 24 Reflex: 24 Will: 30
HP: 110 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Intimidate +23, Endurance +16, Bluff +19, Diplomacy +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +7, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +9, History +9, Insight +11, Nature +9, Perception +10, Religion +7, Stealth +13, Streetwise +14, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 2: Spear Expertise
Level 4: Hafted Defense
Level 6: Superior Will
Level 8: Armor Proficiency: Scale
Level 10: Soldier of the Faith
Level 11: Widened Mantle
Level 12: Acolyte Power
Level 14: Mantle of Caution
Level 16: Martyr's Surge

POWERS
Ardent at-will 1: Focusing Strike
Ardent at-will 1: Energizing Strike
Ardent daily 1: Battleborn Acuity
Ardent utility 2: Dimension Swap (retrained to Virtue at Acolyte Power)
Ardent at-will 3: Demoralizing Strike
Ardent daily 5: Invitation to Defeat
Ardent utility 6: Evade Attack
Ardent at-will 7: Rewarding Strike (replaces Energizing Strike)
Ardent daily 9: Feast of Despair
Ardent utility 10: Tower of Iron Will
Ardent at-will 13: Intent Laid Bare (replaces Rewarding Strike)
Ardent daily 15: Imminent Demise (replaces Battleborn Acuity)
Ardent utility 16: Mental Rejuvenation

ITEMS
Headband of Perception (heroic tier), Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier), Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Crowbar, Footpads, Glass Cutter, Thieves' Tools, Benefactor Drakescale Armor +2 (9), Sustaining Cloak +2 (7), Boots of Stealth (heroic tier), Cunning Greatspear +2, Vicious Javelin +1, Symbol of the Champion's Code +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Invitation to Defeat is buff as poo poo IIRC.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Why would you put a 17 in the main attack stat? That seems like a bad idea, barring some games which have very specific level ranges.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LFR, basically. In this case, also because I had to have a floating odd number somewhere because of level ranges. I should have changed it, but I never actually got round to playing this particular build I don't think.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Backgrounds don't stack right? I'm curious to why you picked like... 6?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Backgrounds don't stack right? I'm curious to why you picked like... 6?

To remind me about what the character's actual background was. Only one of them actually did anything mechanical.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Hopefully someone here will be able to help me. Sometime within the last 6 months or so, I was working on a character and ran across a feat that was something along the lines of:

Apply vulnerability to Cold when dealing Fire damage (perhaps vice-versa, but something along those lines).

Anybody know what this feat may be?

Edit: I'm aware of a homebrew feat (Cold Fire) that did something similar, but the one I'm looking for was an official feat.

Edit 2: :ms: It was Arcane Fire.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 22, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, so the PalaBard was loved by everyone, and I had a ton of fun with him, and he had an awesome little arc and got to ascend into divinity as a god of Compassion.

I want to try something else, I want to be a super good Leader that doesn't do much damage but gives all of his allies crazy good bonus, heals, and applying status effects.

I know that's a leader, so Arcane Leader is Artificer or Bard, and I've done Bard, so I'm taking a crack at ARtificer. What's some traps I might want to watch out for.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Turtlicious posted:

Hey guys, so the PalaBard was loved by everyone, and I had a ton of fun with him, and he had an awesome little arc and got to ascend into divinity as a god of Compassion.

I want to try something else, I want to be a super good Leader that doesn't do much damage but gives all of his allies crazy good bonus, heals, and applying status effects.

I know that's a leader, so Arcane Leader is Artificer or Bard, and I've done Bard, so I'm taking a crack at ARtificer. What's some traps I might want to watch out for.

Assuming you're not married to the Arcane source, check out the Runepriest. They're really fun leaders. Their heal lags behind the other leaders by a die, but offers a scaling bonus to damage rolls for everyone in the aura. They have at-wills that apply really good debuffs, too. Serene Blade is probably the best of the three options, but I think all of them are at least decent. Once you hit paragon you're throwing around tons of granted attacks to really abuse the buffs you give out.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Artificer is hard to mess up, due to fairly small selections in most areas. Power selection is a bit thin, but that means that as a reasonably experienced 4e player you can probably reason out which of the handful of powers are useful at each level. There are lots of good Int races, and it's a good primary stat to have.

The class's biggest advantage is it uses surges from any character for their healing ability, letting you spread someone's big surge pile around. If you don't often find yourselves short on surges due to your DM's style the artificer definitely loses some power. Resistive Formula is definitely better than Shielding Elixir, but it does get boosted by Con so whether it's actually highly effective depends on your build. You also always have Curative Adamixture to fall back on. The only time you'd take Shielding IMO are certain specific Arcane Armorer PP builds. Impart Energy can range from useless to extremely powerful (try a Symbol of Victory or a Violet Solitaire - doesn't even have to be yours).

Magic Weapon is your bread and butter at-will. Encounters aren't that great generally speaking. Several of the Conjuration dailies are quite powerful, but can take a few readings to wrap your head around. Again, you'll have like 5 choices per level, so you can probably pick from all of them easily. Much like the Swordmage, Artificer suffers a bit from lacking another full book support, as it was published quite late and only got expansion in Dragon Magazine.

Typical weapon is a superior crossbow, especially for supporting builds where accuracy on Magic Weapon is key, and you'll take Crossbow Caster and Eldritch Fusilade Expertise. Mindiron Weapon at level 14 + Psychic Lock is one often-mentioned weapon combo for a leadery-controllery person, but really it's up to you.

If not going for Eldritch Fusilade (prereqs or something), remember to take Versatile Expertise - you have both weapon and implement powers. Some powers don't really work unless you have a melee weapon on hand, so you may instead consider a melee weapon that does double duty, or some other method. I've had some fun with a Farbond Spellblade Fullblade for more damage-y or nova-based builds, but that's diving straight into the charop deep end.

For Prestige Classes, you have Battle Engineer for more better Magic Weapon, Spell Commander for more granted attacks, and as always Flame of Hope (multiclass Invoker) for ridiculous bullshit, along with other multiclass-accessed PPs.

The Artificer also hybrids extremely well, and gains a lot of power thanks to extra utility, better support, and skipping your more pathetic power choices. Wizard, Swordmage, and so on. I personally like Artificer|Cleric or Artificer|Warlord, which both add some nova ability, but almost anything works as long as your ability scores support it. Heck, I could probably even make Artificer|Warlock work.

Here is a sample build. Powers are pretty flexible. With Improved Defenses and Expertise, if they're free in your group, you can take feats like Potent Restorables or White Lotus Enveration. A combat advantage feat wouldn't be amiss either, or Superior Will, or ways to improve AC. Battlewise if you aren't a Deva, don't dumpstat Dex if you go Con instead of Wis. Superior Crossbow I suppose isn't strictly necessary, but you do want to find yourself a +3 proficiency weapon somehow.

quote:

Wis Artificer, level 11
Deva, Artificer, Flame of Hope

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 12, Dex 9, Int 23, Wis 19, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 25 Fort: 22 Reflex: 26 Will: 25
HP: 74 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, History +18, Dungeoneering +14, Diplomacy +10, Perception +14, Religion +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +5, Endurance +6, Heal +9, Insight +9, Intimidate +5, Nature +9, Stealth +4, Streetwise +5, Thievery +4, Athletics +5

FEATS
Artificer: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Crossbow Caster
Level 2: Eldritch Fusillade Expertise
Level 4: Battle Intuition
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Superior crossbow)
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Acolyte of Divine Secrets
Level 11: Enhanced Resistive Formula

POWERS
Acolyte of Divine Secrets: Visions of Blood
Artificer at-will 1: Ethereal Chill
Artificer at-will 1: Magic Weapon
Healing Infusion: Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula
Artificer encounter 1: Spike Wire
Artificer daily 1: Punishing Eye
Artificer utility 2: Swift Mender
Artificer encounter 3: Shocking Feedback
Artificer daily 5: Smokepowder Blast
Artificer utility 6: Energy Conversion
Artificer encounter 7: Arc Infusion
Artificer daily 9: Healer's Momentum
Artificer utility 10: Slick Concoction

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Targeting Superior crossbow +2, Warmage's Uniform Leather Armor +2, Helm of Heroes (heroic tier), Phylactery of Action (heroic tier), Amulet of Elegy +3, Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Hedge Wizard's Gloves (heroic tier)
RITUALS
Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole

e: this build is probably less than perfect, I threw it together in 5 min

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 12, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ugh. The Crossbow build is awful.

You're spending two feats getting your weapliment set up, and it's kind of a lovely weapliment to begin with. Superior Crossbow to get a +3 prof is awful because you're a leader so damage dice aren't a concern, and the crossbow's range doesn't matter because you're gonna want to be adjacent to the melee DPS so you're gonna be right up in their face anyways. You'd be way better off going into daggers or Ki Focus to cover your weaplimenting needs and using the +3 prof dagger. Saves a feat and opens up your offhand.

I also think that the Swordmage|Artificer is better than the Artificer, hands down. You get to skip the lovely power levels for each class, and I guarantee you that the Swordmage half of the build prevents more damage than the resistive formula lost by hybriding the artificer AND that damage prevention doesn't use any surges at all. Int|Con, Aegis of Shielding. Use Magic Weapon or another artificer buff spell on all of your turns, and use Swordmage powers as Immediates to prevent tons of damage while teleporting enemies everywhere. Dimensional Vortex alone is worth it, IMO, and their other powers ain't that shabby either. Sure, it loses some healing, but artificers suck at healing anyways. Resistive admixture is loving fantasic and you should be using it over Curative whenever possible, so even as a straight artificer you should always be proactively trying to prevent damage instead of reactively healing it. Swordmage|Artificer is much better at that than regular Artificer.

It's really hard to go wrong building a Swordmage|Artificer, too. Go Genasi or Warforged for Con|Int and then make sure you take Aegis of Shielding at creation and then Dimensional Vortex at L3. Consider going back for Transposing Lunge at L7 is a solid Swordmage favorite. Use a dagger if you want a real weapon/implement enchant, or use a Farbond Spellblade Longsword/Rapier if you want a sword that you can throw.

As for playing it? Mark something with Aegis of Shielding. Use Magic Weapon on every turn to buff your team, which is artificer.txt, and then use Swordmage interrupts to prevent damage. Ideally, you can position yourself so that the enemy ends up in a situation where they either have to violate your mark or have to take OAs to hit you.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 12, 2016

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Heyo, I was hoping for some critique on my first character.
He's a dwarf called Sankis (don't laugh), currently level 2, wielding a two-handed maul because it's cool. That's basically my self enforced limitation.
I'm playing with a Warforged Paladin, a Halfling Rogue, an Eladrin Wizard (who should be able to hold their own), and a Deva Cleric (who may be picking powers based on which name sounds rad). I'm not looking to power game the poo poo out of this, but also I don't want to be doubling up on redundant feats, or doing something contradictory.
The items list is basically empty because I'm not sure what we'll be offered -- Our DM is paying us in equipment rather than gold, so we'll see where that goes.

quote:

Sankis Thrallfist, level 30
Dwarf, Fighter, Son of Mercy, Ceaseless Guardian
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Two-handed Weapon Talent
Guardian Mindfulness: Guardian Mindfulness Strength
Dwarf Subrace: Standard Dwarf Racial Traits
Background: Geography - Mountains, Dwarf - Outcast, Occupation - Artisan (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 28, Con 18, Dex 13, Int 12, Wis 22, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 32 Fort: 39 Reflex: 33 Will: 39
HP: 207 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +26, Athletics +31, Intimidate +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +16, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +23, Heal +21, History +16, Insight +23, Nature +21, Perception +23, Religion +16, Stealth +16, Streetwise +16, Thievery +16

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Deadly Draw
Level 4: Devoted Challenge
Level 6: Bludgeon Expertise
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Hammer Shock
Level 12: Marked Scourge
Level 14: Hammer Rhythm
Level 16: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)
Level 18: Mobile Challenge
Level 20: Forceful Opportunist (retrained to Knock-Back Swing at Level 22)
Level 21: Overwhelming Impact
Level 22: Rapid Combat Challenge
Level 24: Stonefoot Reprisal
Level 26: Martial Mastery
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Epic Reflexes

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Footwork Lure
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Parry and Riposte
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Glowering Threat
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Thicket of Blades
Fighter utility 10: Mighty Surge
Fighter encounter 13: Anvil of Doom (replaces Hack and Hew)
Fighter daily 15: Unyielding Avalanche (replaces Driving Attack)
Fighter utility 16: Iron Warrior
Fighter encounter 17: Revel in Pain (replaces Parry and Riposte)
Fighter daily 19: Devastation's Wake (replaces Thicket of Blades)
Fighter utility 22: Martial Supremacy
Fighter encounter 23: Warrior's Urging (replaces Come and Get It)
Fighter daily 25: Marking Barrage (replaces Devastation's Wake)
Fighter encounter 27: Cruel Reaper (replaces Revel in Pain)
Fighter daily 29: Force the Battle (replaces Rain of Steel)

ITEMS
Challenge-Seeking Maul +1, Scale Armor, Throwing hammer (3),

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Most obvious thing:: you have Dwarven Weapon Training. Use a Mordenkrad, not a Maul. it's literally the same only better.

Otherwise seems reasonable at a glance.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Most obvious thing:: you have Dwarven Weapon Training. Use a Mordenkrad, not a Maul. it's literally the same only better.

Otherwise seems reasonable at a glance.

Yes, I agree! Just looking for the opportunity to get one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Noxin of Shame posted:

Yes, I agree! Just looking for the opportunity to get one.

Oh my god. What are they, like 50 gp tops?

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Oh my god. What are they, like 50 gp tops?

quote:

Our DM is paying us in equipment rather than gold, so we'll see where that goes

So, as I said, just waiting for an opportunity. We got to choose our weapon when we started, but I wasn't aware of them at the time, so picked a maul. Outrageous right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Noxin of Shame posted:

So, as I said, just waiting for an opportunity. We got to choose our weapon when we started, but I wasn't aware of them at the time, so picked a maul. Outrageous right?

Fair enough. In the end it makes little difference, but as the DM in that position I'd be more than willing to let you change what you started with retroactively; just because you didn't know about it at the time shouldn't mean you can't change it later. It doesn't have to change anything in-story to just add brutal to your existing weapon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noxin of Shame posted:

I would just talk to your DM, or go on a quest for the weapon, looking for a Dwarven Smith might be cool.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Helping make a character for the Zeitgeist adventure path for someone. Requirements:

1) Use a paragon path theme from the AP
2) The player does not like getting up close and personal
3) Some sort of sorcerer
4) Player hordes dailies like crazy when given the opportunity, so strong encounter power focus is preferred
5) Not super interested in mechanics, more RP and social focused so complex powers and massive power lists are not very interesting.
6) Doesn't like hitting friendlies with powers, hence the war wizardry feats.
7) Expertise feat and improved defenses are free at level 2 and 5, the armour proficiency is from the martial scientists level 10 feature.

Given that, the Elementalist seemed like a good fit and has been taken as a suggestion. I've outlined the 1-30 build below, but I'd love input on are:

1) do I have the right feats and the feat sequencing, I feel massively feat starved.
2) I feel like the lack of a fire immunity piercing power is a big issue as well, so any suggestions for that would be appreciated.
3) Does it do enough damage? The build doesn't have dual implement wielder OR the crit feat due to stat issues, and I'm not sure the party piece of an Area burst 3 for 27.5 (5d10) + 37 (damage adds) + 10 (damage tick from elemental blast) + 20 (damage tick from icy grasp of stigia) = 94.5, with a DPR of ~80 per target vs same level enemies (ignoring crits). Goes up to 85 single target DPR when using elemental bolt.

Rest of party is a ranged ranger, an inspiring warlord with DTS (hence the ensorcelled blade grab for an RBA and an MBA), a warden and a predator druid. I think retraining flame spiral for ranged fire powers will be good, but that's a decision that can be deferred.

Sorcerer, level 30
Tiefling, Elementalist, Master of Flame, Destined Scion
Elemental Specialty: Fire Elementalist
Fire Elementalist: Ignition
Fire Elementalist: Fire Elementalist (thunder)
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Thunder
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Constitution)
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Charisma)
Quickened Spellcasting: Ignition
Arcane Admixture Power: Ignition
Background: Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy (Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 26, Dex 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 30.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 18.

AC: 44 Fort: 46 Reflex: 39 Will: 46
HP: 183 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 45

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +21, Endurance +27, Diplomacy +30, Intimidate +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Bluff +27, Dungeoneering +15, Heal +15, History +16, Insight +15, Nature +15, Perception +15, Religion +16, Stealth +17, Streetwise +25, Thievery +15, Athletics +15

FEATS
Feat User Choice: War Wizard's Expertise
Level 1: Hellfire Blood
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate dagger)
Level 4: Rising Spellfury
Feat User Choice: Improved Defenses
Level 6: Imperious Majesty
Level 8: Arcane Spellfury (retrained to Icy Clutch of Stygia at Level 12)
Feat User Choice: Armor Proficiency: Hide
Level 10: Focusing Spellfury (retrained to Arcane Admixture at Level 11)
Level 11: Resounding Thunder
Level 12: Fiery Blood
Level 14: Reserve Maneuver
Level 16: Arcane Spellfury
Level 18: War Wizardry
Level 20: Focusing Spellfury
Level 21: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 22: Ruthless Spellfury
Level 24: Sorcerous Flux
Level 26: Epic Reflexes
Level 28: Epic Fortitude
Level 30: Hellfire Teleport

POWERS
Elemental Magic: Blazing Cloud
Elemental Magic: Ensorcelled Blade
Level 2 Elementalist Utility Power: Dragonflame Mantle
Level 6 Elementalist Utility Power: Sudden Scales
Level 10 Elementalist Utility Power: Maiden's Waking
Level 16 Elementalist Utility Power: Draconic Majesty
Level 22 Elementalist Utility Power: Dragon Fear
Reserve Maneuver: Flame Spiral

ITEMS
Accurate dagger (2), Magic Earthhide Armor +3, Magic Roc Hide Armor +6

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 21, 2016

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Are you required to use a paragon path from the Zeitgeist AP or just a theme? Because there aren't really any good sorcerer PPs in Zeitgeist other than using Polyhistor to take advantage of your ability to continuously spit out basic attacks, then qualifying for it through the Martial Scientist theme for free armor proficiency (including hide and ringmail for your light armor needs, or just full plate and shield if that's your thing) and free implement proficiency (including superior implements).

For ignoring fire resistance, you've got Burn Everything as a wizard feat, but it functions based off of your Intelligence modifier. Other than that, there's Hellfire of Mephistophles, a tiefling paragon feat that lowers fire resistance by 5 every time you hit a target with a fire attack. Honestly, elementalists should have some sort of innate resistance piercer tied to their own resistances, because basic sorcerers get those as well, but that's an oversight with the class.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

LightWarden posted:

Are you required to use a paragon path from the Zeitgeist AP or just a theme? Because there aren't really any good sorcerer PPs in Zeitgeist other than using Polyhistor to take advantage of your ability to continuously spit out basic attacks, then qualifying for it through the Martial Scientist theme for free armor proficiency (including hide and ringmail for your light armor needs, or just full plate and shield if that's your thing) and free implement proficiency (including superior implements).

For ignoring fire resistance, you've got Burn Everything as a wizard feat, but it functions based off of your Intelligence modifier. Other than that, there's Hellfire of Mephistophles, a tiefling paragon feat that lowers fire resistance by 5 every time you hit a target with a fire attack. Honestly, elementalists should have some sort of innate resistance piercer tied to their own resistances, because basic sorcerers get those as well, but that's an oversight with the class.

Sorry, I meant for that to be theme - I've edited the post. I've gone with Master of Flame for the PP. Related note, as far as I can tell the martial scientist theme doesn't give shield proficiency which is a bit of a bummer (if it did there is an awesome Paladin/Sorcerer hybrid build in there somewhere using a sword and board with a holy symbol implement)

I'm the DM so I might just houserule elementalists get the same resistance peircing feature that the sorcerer does, I agree that it's dumb that they don't and it doesn't look like it will unbalance anything.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, if you're the DM just go ahead and do it, there's nothing wrong with giving it to them. And if you want to solve the feat-tax issue, giving your players extra bonus feats so they can cover their basics is a good idea.

As to Martial Scientist, there's an argument that giving "proficiency in all weapons, armor and implements" might also include shields, since shield proficiencies are listed under armor proficiencies and Martial Scientists are already getting proficiency with singing sticks and that sort of thing so it's not really a big deal compared to what they've already been given, but no matter.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

LightWarden posted:

Yeah, if you're the DM just go ahead and do it, there's nothing wrong with giving it to them. And if you want to solve the feat-tax issue, giving your players extra bonus feats so they can cover their basics is a good idea.

Already handing out expertise and improved defences free - I think coughing up more stuff is probably going to start causing weird imbalances.

quote:

As to Martial Scientist, there's an argument that giving "proficiency in all weapons, armor and implements" might also include shields, since shield proficiencies are listed under armor proficiencies and Martial Scientists are already getting proficiency with singing sticks and that sort of thing so it's not really a big deal compared to what they've already been given, but no matter.

Ah, that's a good argument. Will go with that unless it suggests it is unbalanced.

Any DPR feats or anything on that side I've missed? is 80ish DPR per AoE blast 3 enough to hang with the cool striker kids? (I get at level 30 DPR single target DPR of ~115ish and multi-target DPR of ~100ish per target excluding APs or encounter powers which can probably hang with the cool striker kids given the build has multi-target attacks

Edit: A jagged dagger looks mandatory as ruthless spellfury is just that great.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 21, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Hello again! This time the party's swapping roles around so I'm building a defender for L15.

Themes allowed, Improved Defenses/Expertise/Some kind of melee damage feat (usually Melee Training but can be made into other things like Intelligent blademaster or Two-Weapon Fighting for the appropriate classes) as bonuses, Inherent Bonuses.

Current Party:

Shaman|Sentinel Druid
Barbardian|Bard
Druid
Barbarian
Barbarian who might be swapping to Rogue?

As you can imagine, the party is ridiculously tanky so I'm unsure if I really need to be a sticky/properly "defending" defender so much as one who hassles the hell out of priority targets.

Currently my plan was to go with a STR/DEX Tempest Fighter/Ranger and take either Blade Dancer or Shock Trooper and focus on multi-attacks/multi-marking and basically being a Striker that also happens to have marking. However, I'm willing to give any defender class a shot, but I'm biased towards anything that wields Light or Heavy Blades as I'm keeping the same character I had before, who was a very katanarama-esque swordmaster of an elf ranger.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Five months into my 4e campaign (And I only just went up from level 3 to 4, DM is leveling us at a glacial pace) our DM just discovered a rule that says you can only use one daily power from magic items per day. This completely hamstrings the party.

However, I had read on the giant in the playground forums before that Wizards made a change to that rule. The Wizards website though took down a lot of the 4e posts, so I can't find a source for the rule change.

Does anyone know where I can find this?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Unknown Quantity posted:

Hello again! This time the party's swapping roles around so I'm building a defender for L15.

Themes allowed, Improved Defenses/Expertise/Some kind of melee damage feat (usually Melee Training but can be made into other things like Intelligent blademaster or Two-Weapon Fighting for the appropriate classes) as bonuses, Inherent Bonuses.

Current Party:

Shaman|Sentinel Druid
Barbardian|Bard
Druid
Barbarian

As you can imagine, the party is ridiculously tanky so I'm unsure if I really need to be a sticky/properly "defending" defender so much as one who hassles the hell out of priority targets.

Currently my plan was to go with a STR/DEX Tempest Fighter/Ranger and take either Blade Dancer or Shock Trooper and focus on multi-attacks/multi-marking and basically being a Striker that also happens to have marking. However, I'm willing to give any defender class a shot, but I'm biased towards anything that wields Light or Heavy Blades as I'm keeping the same character I had before, who was a very katanarama-esque swordmaster of an elf ranger.

Fighter is all about stickiness, so if you're more worried about multi-marking at range, I'd go Swordmage or Paladin. Paladins get a lot of flack because their base mark punishment is kinda weak, but that can be fixed through feats, items, and other build options, especially by Paragon. Some paragon paths straight up make you as deadly as fighters or as protective as swordmages.

A half-elf charisma paladin with a couple longswords and Twin-Strike from Ranger with Dilletante might interest you. I'm pretty sure there's a feat that lets you substitute charisma for your Dilletante power. Also check out the Hospitaler PP to rival Shielding Swordmage.

Here's something I threw together in like 10 minutes to give you an idea:

level 15
Half-Elf, Paladin, Morninglord
Build: Virtuous Paladin
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 9, Wis 15, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 16.

AC: 31 Fort: 26 Reflex: 27 Will: 30
HP: 112 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 28

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +11, Endurance +11, Heal +14, Intimidate +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +6, Bluff +13, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +9, History +6, Insight +15, Nature +9, Perception +11, Stealth +8, Streetwise +13, Thievery +8, Athletics +8

FEATS
Level 1: Adept Dilettante
Level 2: Two-Blade Warrior
Level 4: Power of the Sun
Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Two-Weapon Defense
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Persistent Challenge
Level 14: Adept Power
Feat User Choice: Improved Defenses
Feat User Choice: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Feat User Choice: Versatile Expertise

POWERS
Dilettante: Twin Strike
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin daily 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin utility 2: Call of Challenge
Paladin encounter 3: Righteous Smite
Paladin daily 5: Hallowed Circle
Paladin utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Paladin encounter 7: Price of Cowardice
Paladin daily 9: Ray of Reprisal (retrained to Attacks on the Run at Adept Power)
Paladin utility 10: Guiding Verse
Paladin encounter 13: Castigating Strike (replaces Price of Cowardice)
Paladin daily 15: Divine Vengeance (replaces Hallowed Circle)

ITEMS
Radiant Longsword +3 (2), Badge of the Berserker +3, Meliorating Plate Armor +3, Symbol of the Champion's Code +3

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 22, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Five months into my 4e campaign (And I only just went up from level 3 to 4, DM is leveling us at a glacial pace) our DM just discovered a rule that says you can only use one daily power from magic items per day. This completely hamstrings the party.

However, I had read on the giant in the playground forums before that Wizards made a change to that rule. The Wizards website though took down a lot of the 4e posts, so I can't find a source for the rule change.

Does anyone know where I can find this?

Rules Compendium has the updated rules. PHB errata is here.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

Current Party:

Shaman|Sentinel Druid
Barbardian|Bard
Druid
Barbarian

I'd argue fairly strongly that this is a party that wants some damage output as well as a defender; range is pretty immaterial. So I'd probably go greatweapon fighter.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
My current build has gone with Thri-Kreen Shock Trooper instead of Blade Dancer, multi-hits on encounters, multi-marks for utilities, stances for dailies, and Sohei and, both for flavor and the option to play Executioner 1/enc, Monastic Disciple for additional instances of damage. My MBA is currently 1d8+17, 1 below my Ranger's MBA. Defenses are 32/31/30/25. The only thing I've left to decide between is if I want a Sentinel Marshal Honor Blade +3 for the additional encounter defense boost and initiative bonus or a Master's Blade +3 in my main hand for the boost to At-Wills/MBAs and the ability to use all 4 of my stances across a day (we're doing 3 bigger fights instead of 4 between extended rests.) Initiative is at +20 at the moment, but +23 certainly is a jump up, and Defenders generally appreciate high init, right?

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 23, 2016

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Melegaunt's Darkblade main hand. Two-weapon opening feat. Begin the critfishing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

My current build has gone with Thri-Kreen Shock Trooper instead of Blade Dancer, multi-hits on encounters, multi-marks for utilities, stances for dailies, and Sohei and, both for flavor and the option to play Executioner 1/enc, Monastic Disciple for additional instances of damage. My MBA is currently 1d8+17, 1 below my Ranger's MBA. Defenses are 32/31/30/25. The only thing I've left to decide between is if I want a Sentinel Marshal Honor Blade +3 for the additional encounter defense boost and initiative bonus or a Master's Blade +3 in my main hand for the boost to At-Wills/MBAs and the ability to use all 4 of my stances across a day (we're doing 3 bigger fights instead of 4 between extended rests.) Initiative is at +20 at the moment, but +23 certainly is a jump up, and Defenders generally appreciate high init, right?

Everyone appreciates high init.

This seems pretty solid for a mid-paragon build, and I like Shock Trooper a lot, though Blade Dancer is brilliant on a Fighter so that you enhance your catch-22 like nobody's business. Nothing says 'well-built defender' like a dude who whatever the DM does that isn't 'daze/stun me' I hit him back and penalise his attack somehow.

• Locked thread