Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I like the ultra-reliable Valenar elf avenger with a falchion and the feat that makes 1's and 2's count as 3's. Yes I would like to roll twice to hit and do 6-8 damage from my weapon dice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I just realized that, since you can dual wield fists, brawler ranger is go.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

thespaceinvader posted:

Good to go, but really, really not optimal. The best way to do it would be MC Monk with master of the Fist, then Improved Unarmed Strike, but for the same cost, you can dual wield Bastard Swords with Weapon focus, giving you the same die and proficiency, a feat bonus to damage, freeing your MC, and using a better supported weapon group.

Yeah but that's not nearly as awesome.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

thespaceinvader posted:

*shrug* refluff.

Some people just don't get reskinning

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Dzurlord posted:

So I think I hallucinated a feat, and I'm hoping someone here knows what I mean.

I'm trying to put together a spiked chain assassin, and I swear that at some point I saw a feat that let me treat any 1s and 2s on my damage roll as 3s. Normally not a huge deal, but if I'm using a 2d4 weapon, it seems worth grabbing to up the floor of my damage rolls. I've dug through the character generator and I can't seem to find it - am I on crack, or can someone point me at it?

It's an avenger feat, gimme a sec. Edit: Avenging Resolution

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

miharu posted:

I don't really know what I'm doing but I go to the same Encounters game with Cipher Pol 9, he told me to post here. :) I wanted to try the new Witch class but as I just have the HOFW book I don't understand enough to make use of it. :ohdear:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Nia Appleblossom, level 1
Hamadryad, Witch
Moon Coven: Full Moon Coven
Background: Geography - Forest, Sildaine (+2 to Nature)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 10 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
HP: 21 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Heal +8, Dungeoneering +8, Insight +8, Nature +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy +2, Endurance, History +5, Intimidate, Perception +3, Religion +5, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise

POWERS
Witch at-will 1: Witch Bolt
Witch at-will 1: Breath of Night
Witch Cantrips: Mage Hand
Witch Cantrips: Prestidigitation
Witch Cantrips: Chameleon's Mask
Witch daily 1: Charm of Forbiddance

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Quarterstaff
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I prefer suggestion to mage hand, but you can always pick up Arcane Mutterings next level. That said, I'd drop Breath of Night for either Thunder Wave or Beguiling Strands. The only way you're going to get use out of Breath Night is if you've really hosed up (since you have to have enemies on both sides for it to be better) and in that case you won't be able to get far enough away to matter. With Thunderwave or Beguiling Strands you can move away in the opposite direction, and beguiling strand is even party-friendly and hits a huge area. Witch Bolt isn't terrible, but it's both close range and single target. As a wizard, I prefer to have an area burst at-will - Winged Horde is awesome. Other than that, looks good.

Edit: Witches get an arcane familiar (it's in the Manage->Companion section of the off-line builder). See this thread for info on familiars.

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 29, 2011

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I went with "Noble Adept" for my theme, since it fits both my character and the theme. Hope that works! The Unseelie's extra +1s were hard to resist though.

One more character for you guys, too, in addition to Miharu's. (I swear I'll stop after this.) It's my partner-in-crime's assassin that I mentioned earlier. I think it looks okay, but I've made pretty bad character creation choices before so that's not saying much and she'd like a second opinion. Her theme is Fey Beast Tamer, mostly because she loves Owlbears. For the Feat, Cruel Shroud seems pretty useful for getting quick Combat Advantage, but would Light Blade Expertise be better to start?

Don't be an assassin, be an executioner - the base assassin is probably the worst striker. While the executioner is still on the lower half of the power level, it's extremely flavorful and has all sorts of varied powers, and the poisons are really neat dual-use (in combat and out of combat).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Is there any way to be able to hide with only partial cover, or to stay hidden while attacking in partial cover? Got a pixie with Teeny Warrior plus Fey Beast Tamer combo idea if so.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Gomi posted:

Hm, that might be even better! Though two different weapons groups means you'd potentially have to take two Expertise feats.

Nope! Arena fighter says "any of your feats that grant feat bonuses to attack rolls or damage rolls with one of your arena weapons apply to your other arena weapon as well."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

thespaceinvader posted:

Sorcerors get a class shield bonus now?

Rhythm Blade doesn't work unless you have a shield bonus already...

Rhythm blade parrying dagger all the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Monks are pretty much fightery controllers, assuming you build them in that direction.

• Locked thread