Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
When Elemental Empowerment was written, Genasi were only an Str/Int race. Now that they're Int with a choice between Str and Con, letting them use Con instead of Str for Elemental Empowerment could work (though it's so incredibly better than using Strength that it may be too good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Drewjitsu posted:

What's a good theme for an eladrin Illusionist? I'm rocking Illubriyen Guardian, which is pretty cool and all, but is there anything better?

Escaped Slave isn't bad. Free Bluff, and if you've got illusion/enchantment powers that can dominate the target or otherwise force it to attack its allies then you can fire one of those off and convince your foes that one or more among them is totally out to get them all, prompting severe infighting. It does depend on how willing your DM is to roll with the idea, but you can cause some serious mayhem in the process.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Drewjitsu posted:

Most Blackguards I see use the gouge instead of a Craghammer. Most craghammer users are Half-elves, as they'll take eldritch strike (along with bludgeon expertise) and be able to slide their targets around all the time.

With Flail expertise, Triple-Headed Flail is also a solid choice for Eldritch Strike.

Benly posted:

So, Revenant Executioner with half-elf heritage and melee focus. Assuming that I can only retrain my dilettante power to another from the same class as my original, is there any better dilettante candidate than the scout at-will that's dex-based pseudo-Twin Strike? (Sorry, I don't have its name handy.) I considered Piercing Strike but once Deft Blade becomes available it's kind of redundant and none of the other rogue options really grab me, unless Gloaming Cut lets me hide without superior concealment. Online consensus seems unclear on this point.

I don't think that one counts, since it doesn't have a level. People can grab it with Paragon Multiclassing since it does not say that the at-will attack power has to be a level 1 power, but it's a pretty dubious interpretation.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Forceful Drag is more interesting when you have Pin Down, since you can fire it up at the start of your turn, drag a foe, drop the foe, then grab the foe again with Grappling Strike or a regular grab attack.

Stick with scale, since you can remove the speed penalty easily enough.

Given that this is a PbP game, the likelyhood of you hitting Paragon is pretty slim, so going 17 Str, 15 Dex isn't that bad once you hit level 4, putting you at 20/18

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Gay Polymers posted:

Sorcerer stuff

In all honesty, sorcerers are characters who really need you to go 18/18 since they rely on their secondary stat for damage, AC and special effects. Going 20/14 just means you're going to get eaten easily by anything that can go chew on your cloth-covered body, especially without a stat in the right secondary.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Not always. While going 18/14 pre-racial is usually a good idea, when your secondary stat governs your AC in light armor, going 14 and then not having a racial bonus to your secondary means you're at a highly likelihood of being easily hit, especially if you don't have easy access to heavier armor. Attacks vs. AC are at around level +5 for a monster, so you're going to want level+15 or level+16 just to have a 50/50 shot. Going 20/14 without a racial secondary means that you're at level +11 as a cloth-armored sorcerer, or level +13 if you invest in either leather armor or Unarmored Agility. Sorcerers aren't the toughest of strikers in terms of HP, defenses, or surges, and you will notice if you keep getting shot up by artillery or by skirmishers and lurkers who bypass the team defender. Not having an AC made of paper is a valuable part of your continued survival, since all the power in the world won't help you if you get dropped and miss your turn and force the leaders to waste valuable resources picking you up again and again.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Eagle Shaman should be pretty good for this, since you've got two characters with good Ranged Basic Attacks and the shaman is probably the best at attack granting after the warlord. And it's not as though eagles and Aztecs don't go together.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
You can also be an Iron Soul Monk with Dex/Con. Size doesn't matter, and the monk can make good use of shifty, especially with boots of the fencing master. Belt of the Brawler lets you treat improvised weapons as clubs, so if you have inherent bonuses or a ki focus or something you can take Lion's Den and one of the monk's AoE powers and pretend you're Jackie Chan, and push your AC to defender-levels.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Generally speaking, if you want to crit-fish, you get as big of a threat range as possible and roll as many dice as you can, plus have good abilities that trigger off of a hit.

Any particular race weapon gimmick you're looking at?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
4e paladin is great. One of the toughest and most enduring characters in the game, they can provide a fair amount of secondary support in addition to defending folks, and have some good abilities for handling lots of enemies. Depending on the build you can make a good party face, and you've got lots of ways to throw down radiant damage, which is well-supported and cleans house when you run into the undead. They're also the class where I was introduced to one of my favorite changes- Paladins can use charisma instead of strength for attacks and damage, so you can have no strength and high charisma and still be as dangerous as a high-strength paladin.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Having a ridiculous Con score isn't bad for a paladin, especially if you're a Dragonborn with Lend Health. Power swap a leader utility like the Bard's ridiculously good Revitalizing Incantation, and you can basically full-heal the party controller for a single surge, then let others drink of your bounty through Comrade's Succor.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I'd use enchantment wizard instead of psion. Also, Tieflings at epic can take Royal Command of Asmodeus as a feat, which turns all stuns into dominate effects. This expands your options immensely (there was a period in the game where Legion's Hold originally was a Close Burst 20 stun (save ends), and an archmage could use it as an encounter power at level 30). It combos well with things like Steal Time.

It's pretty much possible to play a 1 to 30 enchanter mage who doesn't do a point of damage and instead relies on enemies do damage for you. Given that enemy basic attacks get pretty nasty at high levels, it's not that bad.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Nah, getting the Con bonus more than once is the ridiculous part. It's one of the reasons 3e combat is so absurdly swingy, because you get characters or monsters with triple the HP of other equal-level monsters, because throwing a 20 Con on something with d8 HD (4.5 average) effectively doubles its HP, and things that don't have a Con modifier and a ton of Hit Dice (such as template undead with character levels like death knights, vampires and liches who don't mash the Caster Supremacy button) have glass jaws. So characters designed to end strong opponents in a reasonable amount of time will absolutely chew through no-Con opponents inside of a round, while characters who don't optimize wind up having to slog through high-HP enemies.

Similarly, as a DM you want to be able to fine-tune your monster damage so that an attack that inconveniences one PC won't be one that turns a weaker NPC into a fine red mist.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I never really had people stack stuff into Con, usually people were trying their best to get their attack stat up--that seemed to be all that people were doing when I ran the game a long while back.

But I guess I can see your logic.

It was a huge problem with monsters, because "verisimilitude" is code for "let's throw a ton of Con on this monster because it is HUGE and TOUGH". The Tarrasque has 48d10 HD and 35 Con (+12 , which means that even if it rolled a natural 1 on all 48 die, it'd still have 624 HP, 576 of which come from its Con modifier. Meanwhile, a CR 20 Death Knight has around 100 HP. Both are supposed to be equally tough melee combatants.

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

So for this Bravura warlord do I just build a certain type of Warlord or do I actually augment these abilites to the Paladin, Fighter or Cleric and other classes?

Warlord is its own class, and Bravura Warlords usually pick powers that involve putting yourself in danger/possibly inquiring boldly as to if those ruffians are aware of the identity of your personage.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Definitely a defender, though when it comes to specifics you have options. A fighter or warden is probably your best bet, though you can use pretty much any of the defenders, depending on how comfortable you and your group are with reflavoring things.

Mechanically, the warden is a bit better when it comes to shaking things off, though the fighter certainly has plenty of options, especially if you pick up Superior Will as a feat (Superior Will is awesome, everyone should take it if they can afford it). The fighter is a no-nonsense master of weaponry and debilitating dudes using weapons to lock them down, though the warden is no slouch at that either, but the class has more a supernatural ability flavor at face value (though if you're open to reflavoring, that's not a problem).

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
You could just as easily be a bard or mage if you wanted to keep your charisma high as a changeling and rock the bluff skill. A changeling mage who starts with 18 Int/18 Charisma can get some serious bluff bonuses from Enchantment and Illusion specialization, plus utility powers that boost your enchantment spells and social skills so you can talk rings around people. A bard has similar options plus ritual use.

If you like Imposter's armor, just ask your DM if you can have a cloth version, like the Vestment of Many Styles.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Multiclass bard :toot:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
There are also rods and the like that can be used as weapons, or you can take weapons that also function as implements. Holy Symbol is the easiest one to use though, since it doesn't require a slot. Same with Ki Focuses, which you get as an Executioner Assassin (and they also provide their enhancement bonuses to your weapon attacks, so you can fight with whatever is at hand).

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Echophonic posted:

Never worry about what's a "brawler" power and what isn't. Take FULL advantage of the flexibility the Fighter offers. You'll figure out what your niche is in the party once you get started and going pure single-target lockdown may not work. I'm not convinced it's a viable way to build a Fighter in a lot of parties. I was retraining constantly as we meshed into a pretty effective party. I started off just like you here, heavy on the grabs and slides, and ended up an unkillable multi-marking machine of a golf-bag fighter despite ignoring a lot of popular charop suggestions.

Unarmed Brawlers are pretty good with golf bags of weapons, since you're probably taking Master at Arms and you should have a ki focus, so the two biggest disadvantages to using different weapons (loss of expertise and enhancement bonuses) are neutralized. So pick up whatever the hell you want, including a Belt of the Brawler if you literally want to pick up whatever the hell you want.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Changelings also have access to the Chameleon racial Paragon Path, which allows you to borrow powers from your allies, which can get really funny with the right builds.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Madmarker posted:

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is buying frozen whetstones, then taking the Wintertouched and Lasting frost feats. Siberys shard of merciless cold, Gloves of ice are other items that will increase your damage. Get rid of headsman's chop as it doesn't work with greatbows.

Unfortunately Slayers don't make great archers, I mean it is fun, but there is a definite cap as to how good they can get. They can be made to be decent in melee thanks to martial cross training so they have a nova ability.

With the right party build you could also go for Radiant damage. Keeper of the Everflow Epic Destiny has an option that lets your at-will untyped damage attacks do radiant damage, though before epic it gets trickier.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Incorrect Username posted:

Starting a new 4e campaign and I've decided to play as a Thief (Lv5) who is a master of sneaking and bluffing to achieve his goals.

I was originally planning to make him a Changeling as my party tends to be fairly role-play heavy but the fact that your clothing doesn't change when you change forms makes me think that his disguise ability won't be overly useful and I don't want to just wait until the DM gives me a Hat of Disguise. Imposters Armor would be perfect... If it wasn't heavy armor only.

So I'm thinking of going Hengeyokai instead and using sparrow form to get into hard to reach areas and restricted zones completly unnoticed.

Has anyone has much luck with their Changeling characters and how did you get around the clothing issue at heroric tier?

Well, I think Imposters Armor might function on Ringmail (then again it might not- while things that function for chain function for ring, Imposters is listed for "heavy armor"), though getting proficiency on a thief would be a trick and half. Houseruling in a Vestment of Many Styles which functions as Imposter's Armor but for light armor is a quick fix. Changelings do have a fair amount of problems, sadly enough- not only the gear but also the fact that they only speak common, which means you're easily spotted as anything other than a human unless you're a level 10+ character with the Scholar theme or you really like linguist. Some of the gear issues can be averted by rolling a Cloth armor character such as a (Desert Wind) monk, sorcerer, vampire or mage, since it's easier to be flexible with clothing when you don't have to worry about armor. Mage in particular is nice since the Enchantment and Illusion expert schools give +2 to Bluff each, and you can pick up a variety of utilities to aid in being a con artist.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
The other weapon MCs worth considering would be blowgun for a very specific subset of human executioner (or maybe rogue) builds, and net training for some defender builds (especially some human fighters). Garrote could be useful on some rogues or fighters but you usually have better options.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
A skald can be built with a Charisma/Dexterity build, chuck a dagger around and be pretty good at doing rogue-like things.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

thespaceinvader posted:

Spell Focus only needs 13 CHA, so you can start with at least one of those lower and increase it with stat bumps. You really want a starting 20 INT on a Wizard if you can.

Eh, I like going dual 16s in Int/Cha on an enchanter/illusionist build, since Entrancing Mystic and Lifesinger are both Charisma-paths and I enjoy having an obscenely high will defense plus being the master of social skills. Plus it's good for Imperious Majesty.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Personally, for an Illusionist I'd probably go Mage Illusionist over Arcanist Illusionist because I value the Mage schools more than Orb of Deception's ability to once per encounter hit something you weren't aiming at. It's not terrible or a deal-breaker or anything because having ritual access and more cantrips is still nice.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yeah, Shock Trooper is probably one of the best options for a Master of the Fist Brawler, though the Zeitgeist Adventure Path has the Polyhistor Paragon Path, which gives you stances and martial dice to spend in those stances to augment the effects of your basic attacks. One of those stances is the Close stance, which lets all your MBAs grab if you have a free hand, and lets you spend dice when making an MBA against a grabbed target in order to blind, daze or weaken the target until the end of your next turn, which makes your Combat Challenge attacks hilarious and lets you do things like grab on a charge. You can also spend dice to do things like make multiple basic attacks against different targets on your turn, so you can do charging divebombs against your enemies, punching your way through minions and grabbing whoever is left.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Are you required to use a paragon path from the Zeitgeist AP or just a theme? Because there aren't really any good sorcerer PPs in Zeitgeist other than using Polyhistor to take advantage of your ability to continuously spit out basic attacks, then qualifying for it through the Martial Scientist theme for free armor proficiency (including hide and ringmail for your light armor needs, or just full plate and shield if that's your thing) and free implement proficiency (including superior implements).

For ignoring fire resistance, you've got Burn Everything as a wizard feat, but it functions based off of your Intelligence modifier. Other than that, there's Hellfire of Mephistophles, a tiefling paragon feat that lowers fire resistance by 5 every time you hit a target with a fire attack. Honestly, elementalists should have some sort of innate resistance piercer tied to their own resistances, because basic sorcerers get those as well, but that's an oversight with the class.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yeah, if you're the DM just go ahead and do it, there's nothing wrong with giving it to them. And if you want to solve the feat-tax issue, giving your players extra bonus feats so they can cover their basics is a good idea.

As to Martial Scientist, there's an argument that giving "proficiency in all weapons, armor and implements" might also include shields, since shield proficiencies are listed under armor proficiencies and Martial Scientists are already getting proficiency with singing sticks and that sort of thing so it's not really a big deal compared to what they've already been given, but no matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Other forced movement reduction options:

-Resolute armor (lvl 8+ Plate) reduces all forced movement by 1 square or by two squares if you have Mark of Warding.
-Ring of Personal Gravity (lvl 16) reduces all forced movement by 1 square, comes with a potentially valuable daily ability if you use it correctly
-Dwarfstride Boots (lvl 18) also reduce forced movement by 1 square
-Mordin's Blessing of Iron (lvl 3+ boon) reduces push distance by 2 and lets you make an MBA as an OA if you get pulled adjacent, but doesn't do anything against slides.
-Melora's Storm (lvl 3+ boon) lets you shift one square as a free action after being subject to forced movement. Won't always help, but it's something. (Roll With It feat in paragon does the same thing)

• Locked thread