Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Flail users should be taking Master-at-arms as it scales faster than versatile expertise and it gives you quickdraw to boot. :colbert:

Edit:
Do non-str monks really need to take melee training? Is it really worth spending a feat just to make sure their OA's are good?

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

adaz posted:

Depends on how often you are getting MBAs really. I'd say if you have a leader in the party who is granting them out like candy, probably. Otherwise...

True, but if you were the only striker in the party, I don't think that Monk is the best choice there.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Absolutely yes. Having the ability to make good OAs is like having a permanent Aura 1 that damages adjacent enemies when they move without shifting. Having a good OA makes you a significant factor in limiting enemy movement. It lets you play a part in defining the battle space. It lets you harass artillery. Every melee character should have a good OA. Honestly, you'll probably never even make OAs, but the important part is that you can.

Not that I don't disagree with you, but I rarely see melee training on the above mentioned classes that need melee training and don't have a good alternative (like Intelligent blademaster, power of skill, etc), like the Dodger Rogues or Monks. Most melee classes are either Str based, or if they aren't are controllers who have some way to get a good MBA (battleminds notwithstanding, as they have to take Melee training and like it).

Considering that feats are the most limited resource that a PC has, is it worth it to take a feat that has a more controller-y slant than to focus on the striking feats which is what they should be focusing on in the first place (ie. the "best status effect you can give is the dead condition" argument)?

I know that CharOp has a hard on for High Damage, reliable DPR strikers, is this just a matter of personal preference between boards?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dedekind posted:

The CharOp assumption is that a striker should be able to kill a standard monster of the same level in two turns, so roughly speaking that means your average damage per round should be around 4*level+12.

The problem is that the CharOp assumption and the developer's assumption don't seem to line up. Almost all strikers have no problem meeting that damage guideline at early levels, and so the expectation in CharOp is that they should be able to maintain that performance throughout the character's entire career. However, meeting those goals in the later levels require some very specific choices for all classes, and for some classes -- most notably some of the newer strikers -- it is essentially impossible. So the developers might be working on the expectation that strikers should take different amounts of time to kill monsters in low levels versus later levels.

Maybe the devs we counting on the leader to pick up the slack by way of buffs/granted attacks/etc in later levels.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

adaz posted:

That is incorrect. 4*level+12 is actually just about game breaking if not outright too much damage for the game to handle. It's more like 3-5 rounds for a striker to solo a EL level mob (using at-wills) to keep it more in line with what the game designers seem to have intended, and how encounters work. 2 rounds to solo is about the most you ever want to try to play a real game with, and less than that is just broken.

e: 4*level+12 is like best-of-designs for charOp damage basically

There's a poster on CharOP that has this in his sig:

Baseline Striker DPR: 2*level + 6
Optimized: 4*level + 12
Nerfbat Please: 8*level + 24

Looking at the totals that I have for the first P1 - King of the Trollhaunt warrens, the optimized archer ranger was doing about 59 dpr from level 11 to 12, and the dark pact warlock was doing 37.8 dpr in the same span.

Granted, the Ranger was getting all the love from the Warlord. Adaptive stratagem + a few granted attacks helped out a bit, I think.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siets posted:

Speaking of rangers, I just started a brand new one last night and would like some help!

I rolled an Eladrin Ranger for character/RP specific purposes, but the teleporting per encounter racial I believe has some potential for getting safely into combat advantage positions and busting out daily powers.

Any ideas on what powers/feats I should be looking at? Also looking for advice on what my stats should be for the standard 22pt buy. Currently have it at 16 str, 16 dex (after racial), and 14 wis, but I'm guessing this isn't optimal since the OP was insisting on an 18. Problem is that this is quite expensive given my race, which I'm not willing to change. So what can we do with an Eladrin twin-blade Ranger that wants to use teleporting to it's fullest potential?

Are you totally married to being a twin blade ranger? If yes, then I would suggest following the OP with an 18 in Str and a 14 in wis, dump dex, boost your con as much as you can and take feats to get yourself up to scale armor, and take the trailblazer paragon path. Something like this guy:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/24022401/The_Trailblazer

You are very hard to take down vs. your quarry target starting at level 16, and still hit very hard.

Your stats will be 18, 13, 11, 10, 12, 8, and pump str and wis every chance you get.

It's not as effective as being a str/wis class, but you do get an extra trained skill and fey step, which is a nice panic button.

If not, a bow ranger is very very effective too, and you're much more mobile as well.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

New 4th edition players: anyone who tells you that you shouldn't max out your attack stat (which normally means starting with a 20, but might involve starting with a 19 if you're in a one shot or other game in which stat-ups will max out your attack stat at an even number anyway) is literally lying to you for the purpose of harming your character. That +1 to attack/damage and +1 to one or two defenses is superior to +1 to two or three defenses is so transparently obvious that anyone who tells you differently is clearly lying with malicious intent.

Like Locus said, there are like a handful of builds floating around based on spamming one particular attack with an overpowered rider effect over and over again that might make an 18 worth it, and obscenely accurate characters like avengers might be able to get away with lower accuracy than normal (but they'll generally do that by using an executioner axe/mordenkrad instead of a fullblade) but in the absolute, undeniable majority of cases lowering your attack stat is the first step on the road to ruin.

What about leader classes? For example, the taclord that I ran used an 18/18 str/int. Having extra squares on re-orient the axis, or a few extra damage on Adaptive stratagem, etc. seemed like it was worth it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Klungar posted:

Taclord is one of those builds "based on spamming one particular attack with an overpowered rider effect over and over again" (i.e. Commander's Strike)

Considering that you're going to be laying down Warlord's Favour/Hail of Steel/Death from Two Sides/etc for the first three turns, I'm not sure that you're going to be spamming Commander's strike a lot. There's also intuitive strike to consider, which is also pretty boss too.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Shield Edge Block looks good but unless you're using inherent bonuses it's kind of wonky in practice. I thinks it's okay until late paragon but others will disagree. The damage is always going to be low.

Shield edge block is a pretty decent power if your DM is the kind that Obeys Defender Marks all the time. As it burns up your immediate to make an attack miss you, if there's any hint that the DM likes to attack your allies, it's a bad power.

If you and and the monster you've marked get into a slugging match though, it can be useful.

The level 3 encounters for the Sword and board Fighter aren't anything really special, as the "recommended" power from the Fighter handbook, Parry and Riposte is also an immediate, although granting CA (and more damage than shield edge block) is better than forcing a miss for a class that is meant to take them.

All in all, Parry and Riposte is better, but look at Bull Charge or Probing Attack, I would suggest.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Really Pants posted:

And at level 7, swap it for Come and Get It and never look back.

Pretty much this. Coming and/or Getting It, is the best thing a Defender can do for a round. It's ridiculous.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siets posted:

Just another real quick question. I'm sticking with the ranger class, but I'm wondering what all of the essential "feat tax" and/or "math fix" feats are out there that I need?

Off the top of my head, I've got:
Eladrin Soldier - PH1 (I'm Eladrin)
Two-Weapon Fighting - PH1 (I'm a DW Ranger)
Weapon Specialization - PH1

What other math feats will I need before I start dipping into more specialized stuff like Wintertouched and Lasting Frost?

Eladrin soldier doesn't stack with Weapon focus, (or silvery glow, if you want to go that route), which means you should be either getting weapon prof: bastard sword, or spiked chain training (which burns your MC feat slot).

The "math fix" feats are improved defenses and the feat of your choice that hands out +1/2/3 to your chosen weapon group.

I would think long and hard about going down the spiked chain route. Considering that you have a very sub-optimal race for a melee ranger, you're going to get all the help you need to blow monsters up with your attacks. The Spiked Chain gets to get all of the light blade accuracy helpers, which will assist you in not missing your targets. You probably want to forget Swift blade style, as it becomes higher in value as you have higher accuracy.
If you go with a bastard sword ranger you want (in no particular order):
Heavy Blade expertise
Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades (or Silvery Glow for wintertouched, requires you to worship sehanine)
Two-Weapon Fighting

If you go spiked chain then it's:
Spiked Chain training
Light Blade expertise
Weapon Focus: Light Blades (or Silvery Glow for wintertouched, requires you to worship sehanine)
Two-Weapon FIghting
Nimble Blade (optional, but pretty good)
Swift blade style (also optional but pretty sweet)

There are also a few other feats worth checking out, but

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gau posted:

I'm trying to make a good Battlemind aggro-tank with debuff effects, but it just doesn't seem to be coming together like I want it to. Will somebody help me make this good?

There's this build from charop:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25486489/Ronin_-_a_Battlemind_Build

It's a polearm momentum proning build that exploits the combination of Glaive, Polearm Momentum, Polearm Gamble, Heavy Blade Opportunity and Opportunity Sidestep / Mobile Warrior. It's a little outdated, but it might be an starting point to grab ideas from.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Quick question, I've got a level 15 Drow Rogue (AD/Daggermaster), and we're finally allowed to pick a character theme.

It seems like the choices I've got boils down to Mercernary, Outlaw, Gloomwrought Emissary and the Noble Adept (from Darksun).

The merc and the Noble Adept are the front runners right now. How important is adding one to the roll (or +1d4 with the power point) plus having the ability to use the power point for flowform armor vs. Takedown strike (which gives an extra dex mod damage and knocks prone), and a +1 bump to defenses when I'm bloodied?

At level 15 I have a +23 to attack. So that's like a 75% chance to hit same level dudes vs. AC.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dedekind posted:

If the other player goes Shaman, make sure you take Sudden Roots first. Otherwise, you might as well go Crippling Crush first.

Drewjitsu: Does your DM let you know how much you missed by?

No, but the group that I'm in figures out the AC pretty quickly. I can see Noble adept being more valuable if I know how much I missed by.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

angry_zellers posted:

This is my first time rolling a Warpriest.

Thoughts? I'd like to do more melee than your average Cleric but still heal when it is needed.

Few comments/questions.

Your background gives you insight as a class skill - which you already have. If you want a class skill (like perception, which is always important, then you want geography - forest, occupation - mariner, etc which give you perception as a class skill).

If you want a few more HPs, you can select Born under a bad sign/auspicious birth/Impiltur to use your Wis instead of Con for determining starting HP (so you gain 6hp over con, and as you add your stat bumps to Wis, you'll gain additional HP). If you don't want either of those, you can always take "Arcane student who saw too much" to get a bonus to saves against daze stun restrain and immobilize.

You might want to consider Beacon of Hope or Moment of Glory for your level 1 daily, don't forget that there are some sweet wisdom implement powers out there that you can poach from.

If you go that route, you probably want a weapon that doubles as a holy symbol to keep your costs down, like the following:

GelatinousOctahedron posted:

Disrupting Weapon AV (flail, hammer, mace) 8
Can be used as a holy symbol. Extra damage against undead.
Unforgettable Cudgel AV2 (Mace) 8
Anyone can use this as a holy symbol and it crits on 19-20.
Crusader's Weapon AV (hammer, mace) 9
Can be used as a holy symbol and half the damage is radiant and gives extra use of channel divinity once a day.
Weapon of Evil Undone AV2 (Any weapon) 10
Works on any weapon and anyone can use it, but has weird properties. Best for devas.
Moonbow Drag386 (bow) 13
Sehanine Worshippers can use this as a holy symbol.
Bradaman's Weapon AV2 (Heavy Blade, Axe, Hammer) 13
Anyone can use this as a holy symbol, but more designed for paladins
Avandra's Whisper AV (light blade) 17
Can be used as a holy symbol if you worship avandra
Lion's Heart Hammer AV2 (Hammer) 17
Any cleric can use this as a holy symbol
Blade of Bahamut AV (heavy blade) 19
Clerics of bahamut can use this as a holy symbol
Moradin's Weapon AV (hammer) 19
Moradin clerics can use this as a holy symbol
Holy Avenger PHB (Axe hammer heavy blade) 25
Counts as a holy symbol and does lots of neat stuff

Since you're a sun priest, I'm told that the best Paragon path for you in Tactical Warpriest, it turns you into a pseudo defender at level 16 with a mark, mark enforcement and everything. Morninglord is probably also a good choice, although you'll have to dump INT instead of CHA (switch those numbers around anyway, some of the cleric powers you want might have CHA riders, none of your cleric/warpriest stuff will have anything to do with Int. As well, if you want to "do more melee than your average cleric, it might be nice to have a good MBA if you take the defender route with tac warpiest (you'd be a warpriest twice!) and so you'd need to take melee training: wisdom.

Now the other question you have to ask yourself is, if you want to do all this, why don't your roll a standard Cleric, there have been some amazing developments for melee clerics in the last few weeks, and now the Strength Melee cleric is decently suppported.

You might want to check out http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19648946/Holy_Smoke_A_Clerics_Handbook for some inspiration. Page two of that handbook has some builds. I think that the unforgettable cudgel/Goliath "Saint Beatdown" build looks pretty badass for what you want to do (maybe?).

EDIT: The knight hospitialer or Noble are pretty good themes for you, too.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 24, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

angry_zellers posted:

When you mention rolling a standard Cleric are you referring to the Cleric (Templar)? I'm using the DDI character builder and there doesn't appear to be a vanilla Cleric option. Seems like they removed/changed a lot of the options this thing had since last time I used it.

Yeah, I mean the templar. WotC in their infinite wisdom, did a little reshuffling of character class names when they realized that under their new essentials paradigm, that the original class names should be the overarching class group, and then each individual class should have a different name to prevent confusion.

So what you get is the Cleric Super-class has two distinct subclasses. The templar (the original cleric, renamed), and the warpriest.

Fighters are now weaponmasters, rogues are now scoundrels, wizards are now arcanists. I think that's it for the changes, although the paladin is gonna get it too, as they have an essentials class, the cavalier.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Vadun posted:

We're switching out DM's and moving into Paragon tier, and i'm switching from a Bard to a Warlord. Bravura Warlord seems like the most fun to play, I'm stuck with Human but would love some advice on how to best debuff the enemy and give my striker (Think its an avenger) some loving.

How does this look?

Just a few comments:

If you're going to be on the front lines, you might want to consider the Born under a bad sign/auspicious birth backgrounds.

As a stat line you probably want (pre-racial bump, then bump Str, and your level bumps should be Str/Cha):
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 16

Having Odd stats hurts you unless you know you're going to be playing in the level ranges where your stat bump gets you one up on everyone else (who took even stats). If you're in it for the long haul, it's not as good.

As for feats, you might want to consider the following:
Harlequin style to make a decent catch 22 with brash assault, mark of healing (if you can take it, do so! It's amazing), improved battlefront shift. Human Perseverance, saving inspiration and martial ploy are the feats I'd look at swapping out. As boring as it is, Toughness is also a feat to consider, as being on the front lines, and a leader, you are a juicy target.

As for powers, If you have an avenger (a high accuracy striker), then warlord's favor is somewhat useless, instead take vengeance is mine instead, as it allows you to dish out a little punishment along with your striker.

I would also suggest that you consider Knight's move (utility 2) instead of cunning adjustment, depending on how mobile you feel you and your striker are. The ability to move two dudes at the same time is pretty hot, and action economy is always a good thing.

As for your gear, I would suggest the following as a loadout for level 11:
Diamond Cincture (Heroic Tier)
Helm of Heroes (Heroic Tier)
+2 Steadfast Amulet
+2 Vanguard Longsword
+2 Dwarven Drakescale Armor
Iron Armbands of Power (Heroic Tier)
Heavy Shield

If you're feeling saucy, you can add on a +2 Farbond Longsword Spellblade to allow you to deal with ranged baddies.

Remember that you're a leader on the front lines, you want to lead by example, so while you're not healing or buffing, you're helping to put the bad guy in the ground.

If you can take a theme, you might want to consider noble (for an additional multi-move ability, and free iron armbands) or Dune Trader (for a similar multi-move ability)

The worst part about playing a leader though, is that you have to understand not only what you do well, but what the rest of the group does well, and tailor your powers to what they do and what they need help with.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gomi posted:

Knight's Move doesn't move two dudes, it just grants someone else your move action. If it was 'move, and move another guy too' it would be Super Ballin.

Oops! Still, enabling your striker to move around and blow things up (like they are supposed to), is still pretty sweet. Given that you're paired up with an avenger, I'm not sure how good that really is. If it was a ranger you're paired up with, then definitely take it (along with Warlord's Favor).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Warlord stuff...

A few things off the top of my head.

Are you married to either the dwarf, or the tac warlord? Dwarves are con/str, which lends it to more of a front line bravura style warlord, as opposed to the mobile skirmishing type tac warlord. (I see that you did this on second look, you just selected the taclord build).

Genasi (especially watersoul) make excellent taclords.

If you're going to go bravura warlord, drop the int, as your cha will be better suited for your riders.

Something like this:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Bravura Warlord, level 1
Dwarf, Warlord
Build: Bravura Warlord
Archer Warlord Optional Choice: Standard Warlord Armor Features
Warlord: Battlefront Leader
Commanding Presence: Bravura Presence
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 15, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 14
HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +8, Endurance +7, Athletics +7, Diplomacy +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -2, Arcana, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +1, Heal -1, History, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion, Stealth -2, Streetwise +3, Thievery -2

FEATS
Level 1: Armored Warlord

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Brash Assault
Warlord at-will 1: Intuitive Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Vengeance is Mine
Warlord daily 1: Lamb to the Slaughter

ITEMS
Scale Armor, Heavy Shield, Longsword, Adventurer's Kit, Javelin (3)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Your powers will depend a bit on the make up of your party of course.

As for DWT, I would suggest sticking with the longsword. I know it's boring as hell, but that +3 prof bonus means that when you want to land that game changing daily power, you'll get an extra 5% to hit, which can be all the difference in the world. You won't end up doing a lot of damage, but that's find, as you'll be enabling the strikers to have retarded turns where they unload, hitting on a 2+.

Last thing, if you can take it, "Mark of Healing" (from Ebberon) is a retardedly good feat for you. It turns your heals into healing + saving throw, which might not be important at the heroic tier, but it becomes much more important from paragon on, when monsters hand out daze, stun, and dominates much more frequently.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Splicer posted:

What's the best way to gain access to a single, specific cross-class daily attack power at paragon? Want to grab slimy transutation on a sepllsword, and the only ways I can find are hybrid (effort) and multiclass-> power swap, which is two feats and a daily for a spell I only want to have for giggles.

I don't think there is. Secrets of Belial get's you a utility swap, but that's Tiefling only.

Talk to your DM, maybe you guys can come up with something that gets you what you want.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mince Pieface posted:

Here's a link to the wizards charop thread http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22105109/DPR_King_Candidates_2.0&post_num=1047#470474637.
Basically, you take surprising charge, light blade expertise, backstabber, nimble blade, and mounted combat if you want to go the dire boar route. Just replace that with something else if not.

If you're not buying a Dire Boar you can also spend that gold on a Badge of the Berserker which makes it so you don't provoke when charging.

For tricks, Tactical Trick and Ambush Trick will give you constant combat advantage, while Acrobatic Trick lets you walk up walls and gives you extra damage if you are already getting combat advantage somehow.

Part of the broken-ness is the Kulkor Arms Master PP. You have to spend 3 or so feats to do so (and one of them is mc fighter), so if you actually like the class, come around 16, your DPR shoots through the roof.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Well, the weapon itself isn't really any better than a longsword. It's just the feat support that's different, and I guess they figured that if you're willing to burn a few feats to support your weapon, then that's enough of an investment, without making you buy the proficiency feat.

The feat support for light blades is much more universally applicable while also being really loving powerful (+damage and +to hit with CA, and also Surprising Charge) so I do wish that it was more of a real choice. Light blade support just ended up better than heavy blade support. I don't much like it (I'd much prefer it was an actual pick between two different but equal options) but there you go.

Heavy Blades get Heavy Blade opportunity, which for a fighter, might be actually decent to use.

EDIT: But yeah, Light Blade Expertise, Nimble Blade, surprising charge, etc. All make Light Blades pretty amazing to use.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Kulkor Arms Master PP gives you a free-action MBA when you knock something prone. Knocking things prone is very easy to arrange thanks to the advent of World Serpent's Grasp among other features. A free MBA pretty much every turn ramps up your damage numbers to ridiculous levels, particularly on classes like the Slayer and Thief which do all their best work on MBAs anyway.

Thieves have "Unbalancing Trick" which does the following:
"Shift two squares. The next time that you hit an enemy with an MBA, knock it prone."

So that sets up your Kulkor PP level 16 ability very well, as well as being charge prone, it's a mental combo.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

M.c.P posted:

Thought I'd play with the Heroes of Shadow Necromancer for shits and giggles. Besides Disrupt Undead, are there any other means of reducing necrotic resistance?

It's not lowering resistance per se, but if you can add another elemental type to your damage, the monster has to have resistance to both types for it to start resisting damage (and then only the lowest of the two resistances will apply). For example, if you're doing 20 necrotic+fire damage, and the zombie in question has resist 20 necrotic and resist 5 fire, it's going to take 15 damage.

Comedy Answer: Death's Fond Caress (level 9?) Warlock daily Power. Can't be resisted.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Same question as Zakmonster. I've never played a hard controller (I played a rogue to level 16 until he died). Any tips/tricks/etc with a character like the following? EDIT: Group is Hammer and Board fighter, Hammer and Board Earthstrength Warden, Two-weapon Ranger (pathfinder PP), Seeker, Dark pact Warlock, Cunning Bard.

Andrevan Stormcrow, level 16
Eladrin, Mage, Phiarlan Phantasmist
Level 1 Apprentice Mage: Enchantment Apprentice
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Illusion Apprentice
Level 5 Expert Mage: Enchantment Expert
Level 8 Expert Mage: Illusion Expert
Master Mage: Illusion Master
Eladrin Subrace: Standard Eladrin Racial Traits
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign, Eladrin - Noble Birth, A Background at Tanathriel, Arcane Tracker, Dark Apprenticeship, Wintertouched (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 24, Wis 15, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 30 Fort: 25 Reflex: 30 Will: 29
HP: 94 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +15, Arcana +22, Insight +15, History +22, Religion +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Bluff +13, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +14, Heal +10, Intimidate +9, Nature +10, Stealth +12, Streetwise +9, Thievery +10, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Mark of Shadow
Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 8: Enlarge Spell
Level 10: Improved Initiative
Level 11: Psychic Lock
Level 12: Spell Focus
Level 14: Improved Defenses
Level 16: Phantom Echoes

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Illusory Ambush
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Winged Horde
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Phantom Chasm
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Horrid Whispers
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Illusory Obstacles
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Grasping Shadows
Mage Cantrips: Light
Mage Cantrips: Mage Hand
Mage Cantrips: Ghost Sound
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Shield
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Mystical Debris
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Hypnotic Pattern
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Maze of Mirrors
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Visions of Avarice
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Web
Level 6 Mage Utility Powers: Emerald Eye
Level 6 Mage Utility Powers: Fire Shield
Level 7 Mage Encounter Powers: Phantom Foes
Level 7 Mage Encounter Powers: Twist of Space
Level 9 Mage Daily Powers: Visions of Ruin
Level 9 Mage Daily Powers: Mirage Arcana
Level 10 Mage Utility Powers: Illusory Wall
Level 10 Mage Utility Powers: Mass Resistance
Level 13 Mage Encounter Powers: Dark Gathering
Level 13 Mage Encounter Powers: Prismatic Burst
Level 15 Mage Daily Powers: Prismatic Beams
Level 15 Mage Daily Powers: Slumber of the Winter Court
Level 16 Mage Utility Powers: Insightful Riposte
Level 16 Mage Utility Powers: Stoneskin

ITEMS
Battle Harness Githweave Armor +3, Orb of Mental Constitution +1, Illusionist's Gloves (heroic tier), Curse Eye Tattoo (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Phylactery of Action (heroic tier), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Cloak of Distortion +3, Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier), Dae'laer (Cunning Accurate staff +3), Adventurer's Kit, Spellbook, Headband of Intellect (heroic tier)

Is the headband of intellect better than a heroic version of the Phrenic Crown? What about a good background?

Zakmonster: If you're having difficulty with getting pounded on, you might want to consider a two-weapon style Pathfinder. They get more surges at level 11 (+2), and then at 16 they basically become pretty self sufficient. As well, two-weapon Rangers also do tremendous amounts of damage.

If you're getting pounded on, like you say, you might want to take Invigorating Stride at level 2, it's pretty much the greatest utility 2 there is out there. Then you can take Frenzied skirmish for your daily at 5. If you are really concerned about getting knocked prone, get acrobat boots.

Instead of the Drow long knife, go with Bastard swords (the ranger standby), and use a Farbond Spellblade enchantment on the off-hand. The main hand should be Harmony blade, although I'm sure an argument can be made for Battlecrazed. Just don't forget to get a +1 Blood fury weapon to start the encounter bloodied (and then kick in longtooth shifting to get a damage bonus for the rest of the encounter)

This all comes with a grain of salt, because of the unique restriction that your DM put on your characters.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 1, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siets posted:

Can anyone point me towards a solid nova ranger build that builds around Lasting Frost / Wintertouched general frostcheese damage stuff? (Don't tell me to play anything else, I'm already well into a campaign as a ranger. Just looking for general feat, item, and power optimization here.)

I saw a pretty impressive ranger nova build based around blood fury and battlecrazed weapons, but haven't seen any solid frost builds even though a lot of people have talked about how great it is for bonus attack melee rangers.

You want to try the Trailblazer. It seems pretty retarded.

Zakmonster posted:

Thanks for the advice, I got similar notes from a friend. I already have Invigorating Stride and a +1 Blood Fury weapon and I grabbed Wounded Beast as my level 5 daily just for an extra out-of-turn attack+heal. I also picked up Durable and Toughness (pretending that I'm a Two-Blade Ranger Pathfinder, really), but I'm not sure if I'm investing too much into defense. A Farbond Bastard Sword would actually be more optimized, I just avoided it because I hate the enchant. The rationale being that if I used Farbond, I'd lock myself out from using other enchants, but I'm an idiot and I forget I dual-wield and actually have another weapon.

Pathfinder was actually my first idea, but then my group got their hands on MP2 and I really wanted to try a Marauder. I guess if this build turns out to collapse like a pile of bricks, then I'd just go with a more tried-and-tested build.

My buddy playing the pathfinder hit 16, and Cruel Recovery (when ever you do damage with hunter's quarry, gain that many THP), is retarded. Throw in Prime Punisher and Called shot, and it becomes ricockulous.

It's pretty fun to go toe-to-toe with Team Monster's guys and blow them up.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Hey, I'm new to 4e, and think I've found a game in town. Could I get any hints on building warlords? What's the difference between more Int happy warlords and more Charismatic ones? Which one would be best for a complete newbie? Thanks!

Int warlords tend to be skirmishers - they can be on the front lines, but they can also move around the battlefield as they see fit.

Cha Warlords tend to be like secondary defenders, more static on the battlefield, and on the front lines.

Both are going to want to hit things, and lead by example, INT warlords tend to enable/move people around better (thanks to reorient the axis), but I've never played a CHA warlord to know the difference.

Int Warlords are better for helping out the team Blow up monsters faster (especially with the Battle Captain PP) from my experience.

Lordduskblade posted:

Bravura Presence - As far as combat style goes, you typically fall in between a Soldier and a Brute; your place is the frontline, and you should prepare for it. Some of you may even dive headfirst into the action. Your abilities often demand you grant Combat Advantage to your enemies in exchange for their benefits, so be prepared to invest in your defense more than other Warlords will. Your specialty is granting your allies additional attacks, so look to flank with them in order to maximize their chances of hitting.

Tactical Presence - This build is also has a side of Skirmisher with that Soldier base, because of the extra mobility afforded by its light armor. In this case, your specialty is attack buffing, and plenty of it. Since you are able to buff attacks so efficiently, you will also want the ability to grant extra attacks, so your allies can milk your bonuses for what they're worth. Bear in mind, though, your primary priority is being a buffer; after you've selected powers to that end, pick up some goodies to grant extra swings.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siets posted:

Thanks for the tip! This build does look pretty nasty, but it doesn't feature any frost mechanics abuse. My assumption was that the free 5 damage from Lasting Frost and Wintertouched with a cold weapon was really really good for multi-attack rangers. Since I am a naturally horrible roller (Dunning Kruger effect, etc.) I was also drawn to the flat bonus damage that frost offers. I love jury-rigging consistency into my character builds in any way that I can. I certainly would never play a sorceror.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm currently using longswords, but it looks like there really isn't a choice other than bastard swords for dual wielders. Going to have to pick up that feat.

poo poo, I meant to link the Hurricane (thanks Klungar!). The Pathfinder was for Zakmonster, who has in the past, been pounded on by team monster. The pathfinder would be a better fit for him, I would think.

Any suggestions on my Illusionist Mage?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Vulpes posted:

Honestly I kind of wish they'd nerf frost-cheese, since it's basically essential for any optimised striker at this point. And because it feels more like abusing game mechanics than optimisation.

Don't forget about radiant mafia. Stacking any sort of elemental damage is always going to be very good.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Hm. Apparently we also get two magical items, one level 3 and one level 4, what are good items for a warlord? Just magic armor and weapons?

What kind of warlord? If your're a taclord, a farbond spellblade might be a good idea, or if you want to stay upright, magic armor and neck.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Bravura. Running up into the front lines and being so tactically dumb that it inspires people seems rather fun to me.

L3 (680 gp): +1 Vanguard Longsword (AV)

L2 (520 gp): +1 Dwarven Chainmail Armor (PHB)
L2 (520 gp): +1 Cloak of Resistance (PHB)
L2 (520 gp): +1 Farbond Spellblade Longsword (AV 2)

Those are all good choices. The farbond longsword is to provide a reasonable ranged weapon in case you get stuck away from an enemy.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gorelab posted:

The Vanguard blade looks amazing for my character, I wonder if there's any level 4 item that'd work too though.

There might be, but you want to either save your money to get iron armbands of power at level 6, or see if you can't convince your DM to give you the equivalent GP of a level 4 item, and then buy what you can with that.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gay Polymers posted:

What are people's thoughts on Avengers? I want to roll one up for my friends game, and I've made a Githzerai Chaser build, but it just feels bland. I'm at work, I can post what I have so far when I get home, but I feel like I want a little more of an interesting dynamic. I'm tempted to go Martyr, but coming up with my character's background is important to me (I'm a nerd about motivating my characters) and a Githzerai Avenger of Ioun just doesn't seem Martyrish to me. I could always go with a Shifter Avenger of some sort, I guess, but I also don't want to gimp myself.

I'm not too familiar with avengers, but a githzerai might be conflicted from worshiping a god and growing up in a very athesist race. Maybe he's seeking death in every conflict to prove to himself that his god exist. Or he can't reconcile the fact that the gith never wanted to serve another master, and here he is, serving another master.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siets posted:

Yep, I actually talked with my DM about it and he was willing to meet me halfway on dual wielding blades. We've got it set up so that I essentially find "blade pairs" as loot treasure on our adventures. They only sell for the value of what one blade would sell for and get enchanted as a pair. We both figure if I'm already paying a feat to get a superior weapon, it shouldn't be ridiculously underpowered compared to spike chains.

I dunno, I know this is the opti thread and all, but I just can't take a guy whipping some metal around like a drunk dominatrix seriously. Not a fan.

Nodoby thinks any less of Simon Belmont and he (argueably) uses a spiked chain from time to time.

Spiked chain rocks. :dealwithit:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

tzirean posted:

Replaced it with Improved Defenses. Neatened a few things up as well:

Hybrid, level 12

I guess what I'm wondering now is whether this is a character worth optimizing, or if it's even viable; does the cleric utility balance whatever I'm sacrificing from the Ranger side?

Are you married to the Craghammer? Bastards swords will give you an extra +1 to hit, which is more than the brutal 2 the craghammer has. As well, you might want to consider a Cleric Str weapon at-will (righteous brand! or maybe weapon of divine protection). To be honest, when it comes right down to it, twin-strike is going to carry the day when you're reduced to at-wills.

As you go forward, you're basically giving up one minor action attack (off-hand strike, and then Ruffling Sting) for a cleric power, and you're going to give up a nice ranger utility combo (death threat/resume the hunt), unless you give up invigorating stride.

On the plus side, you gain 2 feats due to BCL, so that's nice.

If you're going two-weapon route, then you cannot keep a holy symbol at the same enhancement level of your weapons, so I would suggest looking into selecting powers that are weapon based (and since the strength cleric got some love, this should be possible).

You're trying to make a more cleric-y version of LDB's pathfinder (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/24022401/The_Trailblazer), but using radiant as a way to up your damage.

So feat wise, I'd consider dropping the mark of healing, unless you're the only leader type character - you need to spend your feats on damage stuff.

Q'n'd my take on the hybrid, maybe it will give you some ideas, or maybe not.

Hybrid, level 12
Minotaur, Cleric|Ranger, Morninglord
Hybrid Cleric: Battle Cleric's Lore
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Combat Talent
Ranger Combat Talent: Prime Shot (Hybrid)
Goring Charge Key Ability: Goring Charge Strength
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 23, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 9, Wis 18, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 30 Fort: 28 Reflex: 24 Will: 26
HP: 90 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +17, Insight +17, Perception +19, Nature +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +5, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +9, Heal +10, History +5, Intimidate +6, Religion +5, Stealth +8, Streetwise +6, Thievery +8

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Spiked Chain Training
Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Prime Punisher
Level 12: Called Shot

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Healing Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Hybrid utility 2: Bless
Hybrid encounter 3: Ruffling Sting
Hybrid daily 5: Weapon of the Gods
Hybrid utility 6: Death Threat
Hybrid encounter 7: Lashing Leaves
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Hybrid utility 10: Resume the Hunt

ITEMS
Radiant Spiked chain +3, Dwarven Wyvernscale Armor +3, Amulet of Protection +3, Casque of Tactics (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Strikebacks (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Siberys Shard of Radiance (heroic tier) (2), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Demonskin Tattoo (heroic tier), Symbol of Hope +1

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Synnr posted:

Is there a RAW way to alter what secondary/kicker stat powers use? For instance, instead of wisdom to determine push distance it is changed to con? Wizard in this case.

I'm pretty sure there isn't but I haven't memorised every book.

I don't think that this is possible. I would like to think that if it were possible, everyone would know about it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Krabkolash posted:

Things I am planning on doing: Battle awareness, Surprising charge, Impaling spear in paragon. Thinking I might pick up the Rrarthim paragon Path or whatever. (Not sure about the spelling, not near the books).

The plan is basically being a charging retard.

Krabkolash posted:

Was the last post on the last page and no one reads the last post.

Anyway, further thinking and I believe there is a weapon suited to charging isn't there? Vanguard or something like that I think, but I'm at work so no access to my books.

Any suggestions for changes or stupid poo poo I missed?

If you want to be a charging retard, the thief is the king of that. If you want to be an avenger, it looks really good - the weapon your thinking of is a vanguard weapon. If the vanguard weapon is heavy blades, you can always take githzerai blade master (which is proficiency in full blades + better than weapon focus damage scaling). However the good ol' warshovel (the gouge) is the best charging weapon around.

If you're going to be charging, don't forget to include a badge of the berserker, and a horned helm.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 6, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siets posted:

Did 97 damage last night in one round at level 6 against this week's BBEG! Just wanted to say "Thanks CharOp Thread!" for all your help with my ranger. :3:

Yesterday, the Two-blade ranger in our group dropped the BBEG of the module in one round. 318 damage on the nose for the kill.

Granted, he had to use two dailies (attacks on the run, and blade cascade), a minor action attack (which killed the BBEG exactly dead), and crit once, but the point still stands. Rangers are retardedly good at blowing monsters up.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gay Polymers posted:

I bet the DM had a small aneurism. :v:

It was a quiet, "Yeah, he's dead, take him off the board"

Delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Do not underestimate the power of called shot/prime punisher. The +2/+5 is bananas.

• Locked thread