Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
The Essentials books also provide feats that help the players keep pace with the enemies. Specialization feats provide a +1 bonus to-hit per tier, along with a little perk depending on weapon or implement... and Improved Defenses helps shore up those NADs. I'm not a fan of Essentials as a whole, but the feats are very handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Hey all, I have... an interesting character build I want to get some critique on.

You see, I DM a 4e game... but I have yet to play in one beyond a one shot here and there. So, I have a bunch of ideas I want to try out. Recently, one of my games was cancelled due to too few players showing up. During that downtime, I decided to fiddle with the Star Pact Warlock and see what kind of build I could make with it. I was originally going for a crazed "The Sky is Falling" sort of approach initially, but it turned out quite a bit more interesting.

Using all the books at my disposal, I put together a build I call the "Revolving Doorlock." I haven't looked into equipment quite yet, but I have skills and feats all the way to 30th. Have a look and tell me what you think. I apologize a bit for the mess. I did this the old-fashioned way on a character sheet and didn't think to specify which levels what what, so it may be off here and there.

==================================================

Chicken Little the Revolving Doorlock
Kenku Warlock/Student of Caiphon/Radiant One
Warlock Pact: Star Pact
Twofold Pact Choice: Vestige Pact
Background: Followed a Cult (Stealth Class Skill)

Starting Scores: 10 STR, 13 CON, 14 DEX, 14 INT, 11 WIS, 18 CHA
Final Scores: 12 STR, 17 CON, 16 DEC, 20 INT, 13 WIS, 26 CHA

AC: 41, Fort: 41, Ref: 45, Will: 43
HP: 174, Surges: 9, Surge Value: 43

Trained Skills:
Arcana +25, Bluff +36, Stealth +25, Thievery +23

Untrained Skills:
Acrobatics +18, Athletics +16, Diplomacy +23, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +18, Heal +16, History +20, Insight +21, Intimidate +29, Nature + 16, Perception +21, Religion + 20, Streetwise +23.

Powers:
Warlock At-Will: Eldritch Blast
Star Pact At-Will: Dire Radiance
Fey Pact At-Will: Eyes of the Vestige
Encounter 1: Dreadful Word
Daily 1: Prophecy of Zhudun
Utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Encounter 3: Delban's Deadly Attention
Daily 5: Fury of Gibbeth
Utility 6: Fate's Frayed Thread
Encounter 7: All the Sand, All the Stars
Daily 9: Thief of Five Fates
Utility 10: Accursed Souls
Paragon Path Encounter 11: Trust in the Guide Star
Paragon Path Utility 12: Steps on the Purple Stair
Encounter 13: Dark Reach of Xevut (Replacing Delban's Deadly Distraction)
Daily 15: Far Realm Glimpse (Replacing Prophecy of Zhudun)
Utility 16: Vile Resonance
Encounter 17: Strand of Fate (Replacing Dreadful Word)
Daily 19: Wrath of Acamar (Replaces Fury of Gibbeth)
Paragon Path Daily 20: Caiphon's Hungry Mercy
Utility 22: Ulban's Shiny Cloak
Encounter 23: Maddening Whispers (Replaces All the Sand, All the Stars)
Daily 25: Instruction to Darkness (Replaces Thief of Five Fates)
Epic Destiny Utility 26: Star Flesh
Encounter 27: Banish to the Void (Replaces Strand of Fate)
Daily 29: Caiphon's Abominable Melody (Replaces Far Realm Glimpse)

Feats:
Feat 1: Rod Expertise
Feat 2: Improved Defenses
Feat 4: Hidden Sniper
Feat 6: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Feat 8: Sacrifice to Caiphon
Feat 10: Improved Fate of the Void
Feat 11: Relentless Curse
Feat 12: Twofold Curse
Feat 14: Veil of Waking Dreams
Feat 16: Psychic Lock
Feat 18: Twofold Pact (Vestige)
Feat 20: Bleak Guide's Return
Feat 21: Warlock Implement Expertise
Feat 22: Student of the Athanaeum
Feat 24: Epic Resurgence
Feat 26: Cursed Spells
Feat 28: Curse of Doom Ensured
Feat 30: Epic Fortitude

Equipment:
Rod of Ulban +6, Rod of Vulnerability +6, Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +6, Skull Bracers +6, Boots of Caiphon, Hands of Hadar, Skull Mask, Torc of Power Preservation +6, Ring of Khirad, Ring of Greater Spell Storing, Baldric of Valor, Resurgence Tattoo

==================================================

It's definitely an odd build, I'll say that much. It really doesn't show anything special until mid-Paragon to near the start of Epic - where the Revolving Door concept starts coming into play. Basically, this build focuses on using save ends abilities that shunt targets out of play, then punishing them with Dark Reach of Xevut when they return and use the secondary effect to banish another target.

Since this build relies heavily on one specific power - Dark Reach of Xevut - to function, both the feats and the PP involve methods of getting powers back. Sacrifice to Caiphon, Bleak Guide's Return, Student of the Athanaeum, and Epic Resurgence (along with the standard feats to improve hit chances, criticals and damage) focus on getting back Dark Reach on either a miss or critical, while Student of the Athanaeum focuses on getting back Caiphon's Hungry Mercy.

Hungry Mercy is the fun one in this, making this build a potential power battery. Everyone in the effect gets to roll a d6, regaining an encounter on a 1-5, and a daily on a 6. The Revolving Doorlock will most likely recover Dark Reach on a 1-5, or recover Hungry Mercy right back on a d6... using the Athanaeum feat to recover it if it's needed again and it's not available. Obviously, this would be further improved with equipment that reduces saving throws on the target, or also allows the recovery of powers (I believe there's an armor that lets you recover a power by burning a healing surge, but the name escapes me).

It's not the most reliable or deadly build out there, but it strikes me as a lot of fun. Also, for optimization you'd probably want a Tiefling or Gnome... or something else that has CON/CHA or INT/CHA bonuses... but I really liked the idea of a bird talking about the sky trying to kill everyone.

... Thoughts?

EDIT: vvvvvvv Aha, good suggestion! I completely overlooked that feat. Adjusted.
EDIT 2: Went back and built him back up in the Character Builder in order to look for some good items. Ended up changing a couple Utility powers and Feats as well due to it listing options I was unaware of.

Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 20, 2011

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Another option to consider would be the Planeshifter PP, which gives you a banishing power every encounter at level 11. Everything else about it sucks, but it does get the gimmick online much earlier, and every encounter.

If you do stick with Student of Caiphon, take AIP for heavy blades and use a radiant longsword as a weapliment so that all of your attacks get the 18-20 crit range.

Salve of Power recharges an encounter power at the cost of a surge. Orb of Impenetrable Escape forces a target to reroll a save as a daily. Orb of Fickle Fate imposes a -2 penalty to saving throws (save ends) as a daily. A Phrenic Crown may or may not be useful depending on the power in question. Alternatively, a Crown of Equilibrium will turn you into a save-granting engine.
Planeshifter looked interesting, but I really like Caiphon's Hungry Mercy for recharging powers both for myself and my allies... and the other perks it gives are pretty nice as well. Salve of Power sounds like a good thing to pick up, though, for sure. I was just positive there was a magic armor that had a similar effect. Perhaps it's just not available in leather?

Also, do you think that threat range boost from getting a radiant longsword would be worth dropping one of the two rods (In this case, probably the Rod of Vulnerability) and burning a feat on it? Caiphon's Guidance gives that threat range to radiant AND fear... most of my powers being the latter, save for a couple irregulars. Hence why I thought picking up the Skull Helm would be a good idea, since it'd make those harder to save against... which is actually the only reason I picked it up over the Phrenic Crown. The Crown of Equilibrium sounds like it'd make for a hilarious situation if the Doorlock ended up in a battle where a lot of saves were needed.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Ah, that must've been it. I knew one of my players had armor that did allowed the recovered power. I must've missed the errata.

Also, you make a good point. Why waste a feat for a 19-20 crit on all my spells when I can start critting with a wider range on all my spells right at the start of Paragon?

Hm. If I'm going to do that, though, picking up Font of Radiance at Epic would probably be a good idea as well. I was looking a Bleak Guide's Return anyway and thinking that it's pretty useless with Sacrifice to Caiphon giving me the exact same result with a minor hit to HP instead of having to crit with a Con-based at-will. I was thinking about swapping it out instead for Diminished Spirit Curse; it's a Heroic feat, but it'll give a -2 to the next save of the target if their both bloodied and subject to the Curse (which is quite possible with how I have this guy built). Might be good for keeping them out of play.

So, Arcane Implement Proficiency, Diminishing Spirit Curse, and Font of Radiance at the three tiers. I was also looking at Contagious Curse, but I don't know what to swap out for it in Epic - maybe Epic Fortitude? I'm thinking it'd work well with the Accursed Souls utility by killing a target, then marking everything around it and causing them to take both Necrotic and Curse damage simultaneously. Would that even work?

EDIT:
The final result would be something like this:

Feat 1: Rod Expertise
Feat 2: Improved Defenses
Feat 4: Hidden Sniper
Feat 6: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Feat 8: Sacrifice to Caiphon
Feat 10: Improved Fate of the Void
Feat 11: Arcane Implement Proficiency (Heavy Blades)
Feat 12: Relentless Curse
Feat 14: Twofold Curse
Feat 16: Veil of Waking Dreams
Feat 18: Twofold Pact (Vestige)
Feat 20: Diminishing Spirit Curse
Feat 21: Epic Resurgence
Feat 22: Student of the Athanaeum
Feat 24: Font of Radiance
Feat 26: Contagious Curse
Feat 28: Cursed Spells
Feat 30: Curse of Doom Ensured

I also have Killing and Brutal Curse sideboarded in case it's a game where the DM allows a couple free feats, which I would spend on getting the feat taxes out of the way.

Kobold fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 20, 2011

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Hey all. I'm getting to chance to play in a Dark Sun game, so I'm dusting off the idea I had for a Goliath Templar Lazylord. It's only level 8 at the start, but I wanted to plan ahead to save taking too long while digging through books and whatnot during game time. I looked at some other sources for abilities to take and whatnot, and this is what I've gotten so far:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Ukase, level 30
Goliath, Warlord, Praetor Legate, Hordemaster
Build: Tactical Warlord
Archer Warlord Optional Choice: Standard Warlord Armor Features
Warlord: Battlefront Leader
Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence
Horde Champion: Horde Champion Strength
Horde Champion: Horde Champion Intelligence
Background: Birth - Blessed (Insight class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 30, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 24, Wis 12, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 8, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 11.

AC: 35 Fort: 39 Reflex: 35 Will: 35
HP: 171 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +21, Insight +21, Diplomacy +21, Intimidate +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Arcana +22, Bluff +16, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, History +22, Nature +18, Perception

+16, Religion +22, Stealth +14, Streetwise +16, Thievery +14, Athletics +26

FEATS
Feat User Choice: Improved Defenses
Feat User Choice: Axe Expertise
Level 1: Tactical Assault
Level 2: Lend Might
Level 4: Lend Strength
Level 6: Inspirational Attacker
Level 8: Goliath Greatweapon Prowess
Level 10: Improved Tactics
Level 11: Cragborn Courage
Level 12: Fight On
Level 14: Tactician's Word
Level 16: Vexing Flanker
Level 18: Deadly Axe
Level 20: Benevolent Templar
Level 21: Reliable Action
Level 22: Shared Resources
Level 24: Tactical Action
Level 26: Martial Mastery
Level 28: Epic Resurgence
Level 30: Epic Will

POWERS
Dark Sun: Far Hearing
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Intuitive Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Warlord's Favor
Warlord daily 1: Lead the Attack
Warlord utility 2: Reward the Obedient
Warlord encounter 3: Devastating Offensive
Warlord daily 5: Glare of Oppression
Warlord utility 6: Rousing Words
Warlord encounter 7: Fettering Glare
Warlord daily 9: Imperious Gaze
Warlord utility 10: Berate the Weak
Warlord encounter 13: Death from Two Sides (replaces Warlord's Favor)
Warlord daily 15: Anticipate Attack (Warlord) (replaces Lead the Attack)
Warlord utility 16: Decisive Timing
Warlord encounter 17: Hail of Steel (replaces Devastating Offensive)
Warlord daily 19: Victory Surge (replaces Glare of Oppression)
Warlord utility 22: Harrying Warhound
Warlord encounter 23: Hold that Thought (replaces Fettering Glare)
Warlord daily 25: Precision Stance (replaces Imperious Gaze)
Warlord encounter 27: A Plan Comes Together (replaces Death from Two Sides)
Warlord daily 29: Stand Invincible (replaces Anticipate Attack (Warlord))

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Trikal of Shared Wrath
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Thoughts?

I went for Axe Expertise because I was using a Trikal (Axe/Polearm with Reach), but I'm not married to that weapon choice. Only things I'm sticking to is being a Goliath and TacLord. I think I'm weakest in the feats department... I kind of ran out of ideas as points in Paragon and Epic. Also, suggestions for a wish list would be pretty nice.

EDIT:
... I thought I posted this guy here before (albeit only at level 10-ish). Maybe it was in an older thread.

Kobold fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 11, 2011

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Ah, good point. I figured a couple extra points would be nice... but I suppose just making sure that my allies are near baddies I'm hitting (which they should be) would be better. Also... Combat Commander's for the Combat Leader Warlord option. I went with Battlefront since I thought the moving one character would be more handy. Is having the bonus to Init that useful?

And thanks for the suggestions on the items.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

I think I posted my Revolving Doorlock Star Pact idea months ago in this very thread for some evaluation. He went Student of Caiphon PP too, and then... Starchild or something at Epic. The one that also bolsters radiant damage and lets you basically supernova to nullify range attacks or something. But yeah, Radiant-cheese seems the best way to maximize damage. And the best part about the Morninglord is that YOU don't have to be the one with that PP - get one of your divine classes to go that route and build some group synergy that way.

If you'd like, I can hunt down either the post or the character sheet. Though, it's more a gimmick build turning the Warlock into a bit of a controller rather than focusing solely on putting out the most damage possible.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If Drow wasn't a major part of his character and the next season, I'd go with this in a heartbeat.
You could flavor him that his elf half is that of a Drow. Get the Half-Elf benefits mechanically, have the Drow heritage for character development. You'd obviously miss out on the Drow racial powers and whatnot, but hey.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, it's not underpowered; it's merely under-supported.
No kidding. I was so happy in the latest book with the new Kobold and Goblin PC races that they gave the class ONE new power. I just wish they'd come out with a Divine Power 2 or something and expand more on the class.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

So, I've been theorizing an idea lately and I'm curious to get some input on it.

A lot of the "feat taxes" revolve around your enemies' defenses and to-hit and such scaling faster than the normal player as presented. Enemies also can get some decent bonus things on their "standard attacks" depending on the monster. As such, I figured trying to create an entire build around having as many Dominate/Charm style abilities might be worth trying out.

I'm thinking Psion|Warlock Hybrid since you could go 16/16 Int/Cha with a Tiefling or Kalashtar or something to get double 18s at start. Warlock, particularly Fey and Star Pacts, have moves that involve either making the enemy attack another or straight up dominating them, and Psion seems to do this as well.

Does this seem like it would be a feasible project, or are there just too few domination powers to work with?

EDIT: Here's a basic concept:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Mentok the Mindtaker, level 30
Kalashtar, Warlock|Psion, Entrancing Mystic, Feyliege
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Fey Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Discipline Focus (Hybrid): Telepathy Focus (Hybrid)
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Encounter Power
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Twofold Pact: Vestige Pact
Kalashtar: Arcana Bonus

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 12, Int 26, Wis 13, Cha 28.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 11, Cha 16.

AC: 34 Fort: 31 Reflex: 35 Will: 35
HP: 143 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 35

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +29, Arcana +30, Bluff +29

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Diplomacy +24, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +17, Heal +16, History +23, Insight +18, Nature +16, Perception +16, Religion +23, Stealth +16, Streetwise +24, Thievery +16, Athletics +15

FEATS
Level 1: Beguiling Enchantment
Level 2: Rod Expertise
Level 4: Disciple of Torment
Level 6: Aberrant Mark of Contagion
Level 8: Dual Mind Strength
Level 10: Killing Curse
Level 11: Dominating Mind
Level 12: Corrosive Thoughts
Level 14: Battle Psion
Level 16: Psychic Lock
Level 18: Twofold Curse
Level 20: Twofold Pact
Level 21: Contagious Curse
Level 22: Cursed Spells
Level 24: Student of the Athanaeum
Level 26: Mind-Numbing Curse
Level 28: Relentless Curse
Level 30: Epic Fortitude

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Dishearten
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Blast
Hybrid Encounter Power: Betrayal (replaces Dishearten)
Hybrid Encounter Power: Sprite War Call
Hybrid daily 1: Mists of Madness
Hybrid utility 2: Beguiling Tongue
Hybrid daily 5: Crisis of Identity
Hybrid utility 6: Confusing Blather
Hybrid at-will/encounter 7: Touch of Command
Hybrid daily 9: Command Insanity
Hybrid utility 10: Snap Out of It
Hybrid at-will/encounter 13: Bewitching Whispers (replaces Sprite War Call)
Hybrid daily 15: Dominate (replaces Mists of Madness)
Hybrid utility 16: Psychic Chirurgery
Hybrid at-will/encounter 17: Forced Opportunity (replaces Betrayal)
Hybrid daily 19: Passionate Betrayal (replaces Crisis of Identity)
Hybrid utility 22: Ulban's Shining Cloak
Hybrid at-will/encounter 23: Unwilling Betrayal (replaces Touch of Command)
Hybrid daily 25: Thrall (replaces Command Insanity)
Hybrid at-will/encounter 27: Banish to the Void (replaces Forced Opportunity)
Hybrid daily 29: Soul Break (replaces Dominate)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Rod Implement
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Kobold fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 3, 2012

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

LightWarden posted:

I'd use enchantment wizard instead of psion. Also, Tieflings at epic can take Royal Command of Asmodeus as a feat, which turns all stuns into dominate effects. This expands your options immensely (there was a period in the game where Legion's Hold originally was a Close Burst 20 stun (save ends), and an archmage could use it as an encounter power at level 30). It combos well with things like Steal Time.
Ah, good things to know. Tiefling works well since it has the same stat options... I just went with a Kalashtar since I knew it got a couple psychic-related feats. However, I DID run out of feat options at Epic, and Royal Command sounds really nice.

LightWarden posted:

It's pretty much possible to play a 1 to 30 enchanter mage who doesn't do a point of damage and instead relies on enemies do damage for you. Given that enemy basic attacks get pretty nasty at high levels, it's not that bad.
So, would it be worth it to go Enchantment Wizard|Warlock hybrid, or just focus solely on Enchanter Wizard and forgo the hybriding altogether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Hm. Never thought about doing Deva as my previous life for an "unkillable" Revenant build. I usually went with Dwarf for being able to Second Wind as either a minor or reaction, depending on which feat I go with. Then again, I went for the classic DnD Revenant concept - an undead guy that will hunt a target down relentlessly and strange them to death. Revenant (Dwarf) Grapple Fighter, so having the reactive Second Wind works as a solid "replacement" for a Paladin's Lay on Hands.

• Locked thread