Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Pre-errata, Elemental Empowerment would be the answer. Still, a lot of the good Fire feats (Burn Everything, Stoking the Fire, etc) require being a wizard, so a multiclass feat might be a good move. Learned Spellcaster is the better option, if she has the Wis 13 requirement, as most of Arcane Initiate is wasted.

Edit: Sorry, misread that as her being a Swordmage somehow. As she's already a Wizard, Elemental Empowerment might work depending on Str, and the feats from the Pyromancer article are probably useful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

I just read in a previous post in this thread that PHB-only Warlocks are very underpowered. That's disappointing, I wanted to play one. My group hasn't played a whole heap of 4th ed, and we've decided that we're going to stick to the core rulebooks when we do play, so things don't get out of hand like they did in our 2nd ed days.

What can I do in the core rules to make a warlock acceptable? I was thinking Tiefling / Infernal Pact. Will that gimp me completely? I don't care if I'm not the MOST BESTEST GUY IN THE GAME, but if I'm going to be a burden on the party, I'd really rather not do it.

Are you allowing the core Essentials books as well? A Tiefling Hexblade (melee Warlock) is a pretty cool character who can throw out decent damage fairly reliably.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Untyped bonuses stack, while "feat bonuses" don't.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Infinitum posted:

Thanks for the hottip on the Mordenkrad, going to use it because it fits my theme a little better than a gouge. Reroll on a 1 on an attack roll? :allears:

That's actually rerolling a 1 on each damage die (either or both of the 2d6).

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

homerlaw posted:

Question, Is there any way to have a decent Plate Wearing and Heavy Blade using Barbarian at Mid-Paragon?

How about a hybrid Barbarian/Blackguard, using Hybrid Talent to snag plate proficiency? Thaneborn Barb is Str/Cha, as is Blackguard, so you should be okay for power choices.

Edit: And leaves you without Con-dependence so you can put something in Dex and get the Heavy Blade feats.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Tiefling Blackguard (Blackguard)
Level 5,
XP: 5500
Languages: Common, Primordial

Str 10 ( +0) +10(Starting)+10(Starting)
Con 17 ( +3) +14(Starting)+2(Tiefling)+1(Level 4)
Dex 11 ( +0) +11(Starting)+11(Starting)
Int 8 ( -1) +8(Starting)+8(Starting)
Wis 10 ( +0) +10(Starting)+10(Starting)
Cha 21 ( +5) +18(Starting)+2(Tiefling)+1(Level 4)

Hit Points
Max HP: 56 +17(Con)+15(Blackguard 1)+24(Blackguard 5)
Bloodied: 28 +28(1/2 HP)
Surge: 14 +14(1/4 HP)
Surges/Day: 13 +10(Blackguard)+3(Con mod)

Defenses and Senses
AC: 23 +10(Constant)+2(1/2 Level)+1(Inherent Defense Bonus)+2(Heavy Shield Defense Bonus)+8(Plate Armor)+1(Stoneborn Armor +1)
Fort: 17 +10(Constant)+2(1/2 Level)+1(Fortitude Defense Class Bonus)+1(Inherent Defense Bonus)+1(Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1)+3(Con mod)
Ref: 16 +10(Constant)+2(1/2 Level)+1(Reflex Defense Class Bonus)+1(Inherent Defense Bonus)+2(Heavy Shield Defense Bonus)+1(Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1)+0(Dex mod)
Will: 19 +10(Constant)+2(1/2 Level)+1(Will Defense Class Bonus)+1(Inherent Defense Bonus)+1(Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1)+5(Cha mod)

Passive Perception: 12 +2(Perception)+10(Constant)
Passive Insight: 12 +2(Insight)+10(Constant)

Initiative: 2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Initiative Misc)+0(Dex mod)
Speed: 5 +6(Tiefling)-1(Plate Armor)
Vision: Low-light

Conditional Defenses:
AC +0 Dexterity modifier

Race and Class Features
Infernal Wrath [Tiefling]
You have the infernal wrath power
Fire Resistance [Tiefling]
You have resist fire 5 + 1/2 level
Bloodhunt [Tiefling]
+1 to attacks against bloodied enemies
Bluff Bonus [Tiefling]

Stealth Bonus [Tiefling]

Mercenary Starting Feature [Blackguard]
You gain the takedown strike power.
Dark Menace [Blackguard]
Make a weapon attack vs. an enemy granting combat advantage to you: enemy takes [Cha mod] extra damage
Dread Smite [Blackguard]
Gain the Dread Smite attack power
Shroud of Shadow [Blackguard]
Gain the Shroud of Shadow utility power
Spirit of Vice [Blackguard]
Gain a benefit associated with your vice
Spirit of Vice (Domination) [Blackguard]
1/round while you have temp hp: deal [Cha mod] damage to yourself prior to your attack roll (free action), add +[Cha mod] to that attack's damage
Vengeance Strike [Blackguard]
Gain the Vengeance Strike attack power
Vice At-Will Power [Blackguard]
Gain an at-will attack power associated with your vice
Vice At-Will Power (Domination) [Blackguard]
Gain the Dominator's Strike attack power
Vice's Reward [Blackguard]
Gain the Vice's Reward utility power
Level 3 Extra Dread Smite [Blackguard]
Gain one more use of Dread Smite per encounter, but you can use it only once per turn.
Servant of Vice [Blackguard]
Gain the Servant of Vice utility power
Level 5 Blackguard Daily Power [Blackguard]
Gain a paladin daily attack power of your level or lower
Level 5 Mercenary Feature [Blackguard]
You gain a +2 power bonus to Intimidate checks and Streetwise checks.

Feats
Wrath of the Crimson Legion
Use Cha for MBAs; swap infernal wrath with paladin's wrath
Weapon Proficiency (Craghammer)
Gain proficiency with the Craghammer
Bludgeon Expertise
+1/+2/+3 (by tier) to weapon attacks with hammers and maces; +1 sq. to push and slide distance with hammer and mace weapon attacks

Powers
At-Will
Vengeance Strike [Standard Action]
Lifedrinker Craghammer +1 - Attack: 6 vs. AC, Damage: 1d10+3
Unarmed - Attack: 3 vs. AC, Damage: 1d4+3
Dominator's Strike [Standard Action]
Lifedrinker Craghammer +1 - Attack: 6 vs. AC, Damage: 1d10+3
Unarmed - Attack: 3 vs. AC, Damage: 1d4+3
Melee Basic Attack [Standard Action]
Lifedrinker Craghammer +1 - Attack: 11 vs. AC, Damage: 1d10+8
Unarmed - Attack: 8 vs. AC, Damage: 1d4+8
Opportunity Attack [Opportunity Action]
Opportunity Action [Opportunity Action]
Readied action [Immediate Reaction]
Delay [Free Action]
End a grab [Free Action]
Drop prone [Minor Action]
Aid Another [Standard Action]
Bull Rush [Standard Action]
Charge [Standard Action]
Coup de grace [Standard Action]
Grab [Standard Action]
Sustain a Grab [Minor Action]
Ready an action [Standard Action]
Total defense [Standard Action]
Walk 5 squares [Move Action]
Run 7 squares [Move Action]
Shift 1 square [Move Action]
Crawl 2 squares [Move Action]
Squeeze 2 squares [Move Action]
Stand up [Move Action]
Escape a Grab [Move Action]
Any Move Action [Standard Action]
Any Minor Action [Standard Action]
Any Minor Action [Move Action]

Encounter
Takedown Strike [No Action]
Dread Smite [Free Action]
Shroud of Shadow [Minor Action]
Paladin's Wrath [Minor Action]
Vice's Reward [Minor Action]
Second Wind [Standard Action]
Action Point [Free Action]

Daily
Servant of Vice [Minor Action]
Majestic Halo [Standard Action]
Lifedrinker Craghammer +1 - Attack: 11 vs. AC, Damage: 3d10+8 (Radiant)
Unarmed - Attack: 8 vs. AC, Damage: 3d4+8 (Radiant)

Skills
Acrobatics: -2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Acrobatics Misc)-4(Armor Penalty)+0(Dex mod)
Arcana: 1 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Arcana Misc)-1(Int mod)
Athletics: -2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Athletics Misc)-4(Armor Penalty)+0(Str mod)
Bluff: 14 +2(1/2 Level)+5(Trained)+2(Bluff Misc)+5(Cha mod)
Diplomacy: 7 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Diplomacy Misc)+5(Cha mod)
Dungeoneering: 2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Dungeoneering Misc)+0(Wis mod)
Endurance: 6 +2(1/2 Level)+5(Trained)+0(Endurance Misc)-4(Armor Penalty)+3(Con mod)
Heal: 2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Heal Misc)+0(Wis mod)
History: 1 +2(1/2 Level)+0(History Misc)-1(Int mod)
Insight: 2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Insight Misc)+0(Wis mod)
Intimidate: 14 +2(1/2 Level)+5(Trained)+2(Intimidate Misc)+5(Cha mod)
Nature: 2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Nature Misc)+0(Wis mod)
Perception: 2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Perception Misc)+0(Wis mod)
Religion: 6 +2(1/2 Level)+5(Trained)+0(Religion Misc)-1(Int mod)
Stealth: 0 +2(1/2 Level)+2(Stealth Misc)-4(Armor Penalty)+0(Dex mod)
Streetwise: 9 +2(1/2 Level)+2(Streetwise Misc)+5(Cha mod)
Thievery: -2 +2(1/2 Level)+0(Thievery Misc)-4(Armor Penalty)+0(Dex mod)

Proficiencies
Weapons
Implement Proficiency [Blackguard]
Military Melee [Blackguard]
Military Ranged [Blackguard]
Simple Melee [Blackguard]
Simple Ranged [Blackguard]
Craghammer [Weapon Proficiency (Craghammer)]

Armor
Cloth [Blackguard]
Leather [Blackguard]
Hide [Blackguard]
Chainmail [Blackguard]
Scale [Blackguard]
Plate [Blackguard]
Light Shield [Blackguard]
Heavy Shield [Blackguard]

Inventory
Weapons
Craghammer, Lifedrinker Weapon +1

Armor
Plate Armor, Stoneborn Armor +1
Heavy Shield

Magic Items
Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier)

If you tap all the encounter attack boosters, have temp HP to burn, and have CA, the basic attack is +11/1d10+30, brutal 2, prone, ongoing 5 cold/necro. And most of that is reusable on the next turn (all but the takedown strike). 4 ways of getting THP before anything the rest of teh party can add in.

If you need to pull out the big guns, you can use Majestic Halo (+11, 3d10+8+whatever else, B2) that does half on a miss, and lets you mark people who start next to you with your Divine Sanction (marked, 8 radiant damage if they attack anyone else, lasts until end of next turn) for the rest of the encounter.
Finally, you can use Paladin's Wrath every encounter to mark every enemy within 5 squares with divine sanction until EonT.

Have I misinterpreted anything, or am I missing anything obvious?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Zemyla posted:

The primary audience for Throw and Stab, oddly enough, is human scouts who pick it up with their extra at-will, who get to throw, then make a melee basic, then get to use their Dual Weapon Attack.

It's a pity it's Str-based, since the Scout is all about Dex, so the throw won't be very accurate. Having a look through the compendium, I can't see any decent off-hand, melee-but-throwable light blades either. The best option might be to add the throw quality to a double weapon with an enhancement, like a Spiked Chain, but that'll usually require a further feat investment for the double weapon.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Really Pants posted:

Precision Throw lets you use Dex for heavy thrown weapons.

Precision Throw posted:

Benefit: Whenever you make a ranged basic attack using a thrown weapon with which you have proficiency, you can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack roll and the damage roll.

Only on basic attacks, which Throw and Stab isn't.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Hammer of Blows makes you a minion-mulcher, and doesn't even have to be your primary ki focus. Add the multiclass feat that gives Flurry of Blows for and you don't even need to attack a minion to trigger it.

(your under-enhanced ki focus will put you a little behind on damage, since Brawler doesn't enhance that)

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Dick Burglar posted:

He might mean primary implement, because yeah you can't roll with a dozen Ki Focuses. Of course that doesn't really work here anyway since you're a Fighter without any implement proficiencies to start off with, so I dunno. v:shobon:v

vvvvv One thing to remember about using a Ki Focus for all your attacks: your weapon enchantment does NOT affect the attack. I think you might still be able to Frost Cheese with a Frost Weapon since it's just an on/off thing that affects all your damage (and you're still wielding the weapon), but you can't use a weapon's on-hit daily if you channel the attack through a Ki Focus.

Sorry, phone-posting. I meant the Rain of Hammers ki focus, which has a great property that doesn't preclude you from using a stronger ki focus for your attacks.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
My bad, not sure where I got the idea ki focuses were slotless. You can swap focuses during a short rest, but that isn't much use.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Zemyla posted:

Better yet, revenant pixie slayer with a gouge.

All Revenants are Medium regardless of the previous race. I'm now imagining a pixie's head stitched onto a flesh golem's body.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Gomi posted:

I am having a stellar night for reading, aren't I? I was building the character out right now and just noticed that.

Hmm. A strict reading of the Arena Master says that the feats apply, not that the bonuses from the feats apply. So that means an Arena Fighter can pick Quarterstaff for one of the arena weapons, pick Staff Expertise, and gain +1 reach with the other weapon -- rapier, dagger, whatever. Same with any of the other Essentials Expertise feats, of course, but the +1 reach from Staff Expertise is particularly choice. And Expertise feats with good riders could be doubled up on -- pick, say, Gouge and Quarterstaff, blow 3 feat slots, and get +1 reach, Brutal 1, and +1/tier damage on charges. Which I guess isn't really worth 3 feat slots. But +1 reach alone is definitely worth a feat slot if I can slap it on basically any other weapon.

That's how the character builder treats it, yes, so you can extend an existing reach weapon by a square, or even do something really odd like giving Monk Unarmed Strike (from the MC feat) reach.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
If you're keen on surviving in melee, any reason you didn't go for Hexblade instead?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Are you trying to stack Wand (presumably as your free feat) and Rod expertise? Those are both feat bonuses so dont stack, so I'd stick with just Rod (as your free expertise, letting you take Primed Curse at 1st-level or moving everything else up a place). Then, of course, switch the Accurate Wand for Accurate Rod.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Weapon Focus/Light Blade Expertise only apply to Weapon attacks, so they'd only help Eldritch Strike. As you mentioned, you could use Versatile Expertise, but you'd miss out on the fringe benefits of the expertise feat (although Rod Expertise might still be worth it for a hands-free light shield once you're dual implementing).

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
The Ironscar Rod is pretty similar, but has a not-terrible damage/debuff daily power (but a weaker critical), and the Battle-Pact Rod is a late-paragon alternative.

Edit: The Iron Wand is a wand-equivalent for Epic tier as well, with a very nice utility power attached.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 20, 2011

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I have never played 4e before and I am worried that, like the first time I played 3.5, I'm going to make a character that sucks and have a loving wretched time playing. Ugh.

I got back late so everyone else has already made their characters.

This is the gist of 'em (I could be wrong):
2 Strikers: a Wild Sorcerer and a Barbarian
1 Defender: I don't remember what. I think a Warden.
1 Controller: A Seeker
And Me: ???

The setting is Mexico during the first arrival of the Conquistadors. The GM for this game has done something really odd and split Aztecs and Spaniards by power source. I have to play an Aztec so I have to pick a class that is Primal or Arcane.

So. With that being said. I'm looking at maybe being a Bear Shaman and, for lack of anything else to use, I have been using this as a guide on how to make my character.

Is that a stupid guide? Do Shamans super suck and I just need to cut my losses now and pick a new Leader class? Are Leaders even effective or would it be wiser to just add another striker, defender, or controller?

Also- we're starting the game at level 1.

It's a pity you can't pick a Martial class, because a basic-attack-granting Warlord would complement that party amazingly. If you have to go Shaman instead, try to grab some of the attack-granting powers there (Watcher spirit/Elemental spirit build), your party will be thankful.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 12, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
My players use a rotating cast of characters (that I've put together for them) for the Chaos Scar adventures, allowing them to try out some new things from session-to-session. They've just befriended/intimidated a Kobold Wyrmpriest and his posse, and I was thinking of statting him up as a PC-useable character.

The base Kobold race is not great, but I could house-rule in a +2 Cha option without any stress, or reskin the Dragonborn race to be small.

I was thinking of using an Elementalist as the base class, with some kind of inspiring theme to fill in the gaps. Alternately, Hybrid Sorc/Bard.

Could anyone offer any insight into what might be an interesting build for this? (currently level 3, inherent bonuses, 1 free expertise feat, no magic items, 18 stat max post-racials)

Edit: A wizard/lazy warlord might work well for this too.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 27, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

glitchwraith posted:

To avoid the problem entirely, I'm thinking of using a Gythka, which is a double weapon that is also a heavy thrown. Plus, it's appropriate fluff-wise since I want to play a Thri-kreen anyway. If I buy a magic one, it will return to me after an attack. My question is, for powers that allow me to throw my weapon, then charge, would it teleport back to me in time for the second attack in the power?

The key is that they return after each attack is resolved.

If the power lets you make multiple attacks against individual targets (even the same target) then a single thrown weapon returns immediately after each attack is resolved.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

sansuki posted:

Level 1: Spear Expertise
Level 6: Weapon Expertise (Spear)

These two don't stack, FYI.

Any reason you're not using a Gouge? It's a little less accurate, but a 2d6 (reroll 1s) spear/axe is pretty amazing.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 15, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Madmarker posted:

Not quite, eldritch strike is a melee basic attack, which means the attack finesse feature lets me use dex. If it actually doesn't though for some reason I wouldn't mind to much going cha primary, lose some ac and reflex and gain some will, only reason I went so heavy dex was we have nobody in the party good at dex skills otherwise I prefer having higher will anyway.

Technically, Finesse lets you use DEX instead of STR. Eldritch Strike doesn't use Strength, so Finesse doesn't do anything there.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 24, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
If it's the super-basic version I've seen: Ignore any ability that requires a melee attack (Power Strike). Add twice your Dex mod to damage.

It's pretty great when it's [W]+10 at level 1 (plus any stances). It doesn't get a lot better after that though.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 3, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

thespaceinvader posted:

and you're SUPER hosed if they get KOed before they've used their heals, because they then can't turn the aura back on...

The aura say "If the aura ends prematurely for any reason, you can reactivate it during the encounter as a minor action."

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

neonchameleon posted:

Blind seriously rocks against most solos. You hit a dragon with an arrow of blinding and it has nothing that removes it. -5 to hit until End of Next Turn. That's at least as effective as a stun. (For that matter immobilise works almost as well as stun on a dragon). It's not worth using on a standard brute - but who cares? You immobilise the brute.

Dragons are probably a bad example, since they'll usually have an area attack breath weapon that doesn't care about blinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Shardminds have a +Cha option, and are also Living Constructs if you still want to be a robot.

• Locked thread