Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

Flail users should be taking Master-at-arms as it scales faster than versatile expertise and it gives you quickdraw to boot. :colbert:

Edit:
Do non-str monks really need to take melee training? Is it really worth spending a feat just to make sure their OA's are good?

Depends on how often you are getting MBAs really. I'd say if you have a leader in the party who is granting them out like candy, probably. Otherwise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Locus Cosecant posted:

Ignore beast powers, take all the archer ranger powers, use your beast companion as a warm body to stand in the way of enemies while you shoot them with arrows.

More or less this, but more specifically below. However there are other ways of using your beast too, but they mostly involve other hybrids or powers that aren't beast powers. Basically you're using your beast companion to give yourself more attacks to up your damage.

Beast Protector Feat - http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/display.aspx?page=feat&id=753

Whatever beast feat is applicable to yours so its instinctive behavior allows it to be more than 10 squares away from you

Sharpshooter PP, so your ranged attack can be used as a OA- http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/display.aspx?page=paragonpath&id=178

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Locus Cosecant posted:

Actually, the extra stat points you get from not taking 20 in your primary is nice for some specific characters, but you should only do it if you have a really good reason.

Not taking a 20 in your primary stat is like not taking an Expertise feat. Except it's worse, because you're not just giving up +1 to hit on all your attacks, you're also giving up +1 damage, and +1 to your best skills. Unless you have some absolutely overriding need for a high secondary stat, there's no sense in taking a -1 to basically every roll you ever make.

For most non-striker classes taking a 20 would be retarded, and even taking an 18 (before racials) might be too much. The secondary rider effects are too important or, in the case of a defender, your NADS would be so terrible you'd never be able to do anything since you'd be dead or dazed.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Danhenge posted:

This argument always happens it always comes down to the fact that a monster that is dead is the best defense.

And a dead character does no damage. We can toss like meaningless sayings around all day, there are certain drawbacks and reasons why you don't want to sacrifice everything to the damage god.

adaz fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 6, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Danhenge posted:

The only reason that a monster is going to do enough damage to your characters to kill them in a balanced encounter is if people consistently miss.

This is demonstrably false though, just using a few creatures off the top of my head and not even really trying. For instance,

let's see, how about EL 19, party level 19. Congratulations, I picked an encounter of 6 x Dream Hags (perfectly balanced!) http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/display.aspx?page=monster&id=4909 You're all dead.

El 14 or so, congratulations you're facing 20x Lich Remnants, and now you're all dead since you have no defenses. http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/monster.aspx?id=115814

We can go on and on throughout the monsters but there are many, many monsters who can daze/stun/dominate/do enough damage to kill your party outright in one or two turns in equal level encounters (or el+1/+2) that defenses and healing are needed.

e: the only time damage > * is if you are running very broken super high initiative builds that can nova strike for > 150 or so damage to multiple creatures their first turn thereby ensuring that monsters get no turns and die the first round. But that's broken and why even bother to play the game.

adaz fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 6, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Locus Cosecant posted:

Controllers need to hit to control enemies, and one important role of a controller is minion control, which you can't do well if you can't hit them. (In fact my wizard has a mere 18 Int due to what seemed like a good idea at the time, and I have been chewed out by my party members for failing to kill minions fast enough due to my low accuracy.) Leaders need to hit to trigger a lot of their buffs: see the taclord who drops strength to boost int, and then never hits with Lead the Attack. Also many leaders add their primary stat to their healing, which is very useful. Defenders are maybe the strongest case for taking an 18 instead of a 20, since they do need defenses, but they tend to rely on attacking for their mark enforcement, so if you can't hit or deal damage, it doesn't matter how invulnerable you are, your friends will die anyway. Exceptions to this are the Paladin, who adds his primary stat to his mark enforcement damage, and the Battlemind, whose best defender feature is that he gets to take a 20 in Con.

tl;dr it is in fact you who is retarded

Considering most defenders, especially fighters, get bonus to their OAs through class features or feats, you really really don't need 18 in primary stat (I roll a with a 17 on my dwarven defender, works fine.) Also, we are talking about a 5% greater chance to hit, for which you are then giving up a 10-15% chance to be hit yourself by an enemy attack. also, as pointed out by MadScientistWorking if you really bother nothing at all with any sort of secondary NADs as a defender you will be hosed in paragon tier because you will be permanently dazed, unable to do OAs at all. Or really any class, as you hit paragon and epic and nearly every monster imposes some effect like dazed, dominate, stun, immobilize, slow, etc you will find those low NADs terrible.

I'm not saying there isn't a case for 20s, but it's not nearly as clearcut universal as you are making it out to be. It's a 5% increase over 18, and you give up a huge amount of secondary riders & defenses to get it.

Gomi posted:

:what:

Fire, like Poison, has a feat that says "you ignore immunities". How is that not being taken into consideration?

Burn Everything feat? Doesn't let you quite ignore everything but close to it http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/feat.aspx?id=3068

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Locus Cosecant posted:

You give up a net of one point of defenses. That's not huge.

We're saying 20 pre-racials or post racials? because it's possible I've been mis interpreting you

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Locus Cosecant posted:

20 pre-racials is impossible, so................

I was thinking in terms of paragon tier starting since that's where we start. But, it isn't quite as clearcut as a +1 NAD difference because the extra points can qualify you, as a defender, for the cool superior will/reflex/fortitude talents that you won't be able to qualify for until much later if you run an 18

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Locus Cosecant posted:

Agreed! If it didn't cost you +1 to hit, +1 to damage, +1 to your highest skills, +1 to healing, +1 to divine challenge damage, et cetera, I would be all over it. But that's a really high cost to pay for a mildly beneficial trade! Now that it's been demonstrated that Adaz doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about, maybe you should just drop the subject?

Depending on the class or role you might not really care about the damage that much and as has been mentioned a 5% greater chance to be dazed or stunned instead of a 5% greater chance to hit can be a tradeoff that a character might want to take. Feat pre-reqs, hybridizing, and so forth might also cause you to want a lower than 20 in your primary ability. Skills are a fair point, and one I hadn't considered although usually by paragon ish tier your primary skill will be high enough to succeed most checks with a fairly low roll.

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 6, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

theironjef posted:

Are swarm druids viable as a optimized party controller? It seems like the powers that they come attached to generally just do more damage instead of tacking on effects. Is there a good build for them?

Swarm Druids, in my limited experience playing one, slant more towards defender/controllers thanks to their DR and feat support. IS that what you wanted to play, or did you want more controller-y?

Locus Cosecant posted:

I'm just saying you should have a strong reason in mind if you are not taking a 20 in your primary stat, and it is far, far, far from a "retarded" choice.

This is what I was trying to say basically, there are reasons you don't want a 20 and depending on your build it can even be the better choice to just have an 18.

adaz fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 6, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

theironjef posted:

Definitely trying to slant towards actual controller. Is there a good druid build in general for that? I figure probably the regular caster ones, whatever they're called.

It always helps to ask what level you are starting at and if you're rather do more ranged controller, summons controlling (Druids have a ton of summoning powers) or you want to spend most of your time in beast form and in melee range.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

theironjef posted:

Looking presumably at ranged controller, and if summons is actually pretty good (I was initially underwhelmed) then by all means suggest away. I dig controlling multiple squares.

As Dr. Nick said the summons are great because they use instinctive actions, allowing them to act and attack things without burning your own actions. It's like giving your party another member for a fight. So you can have multiple summoned creatures out, all doing attacks, and still have your own set of actions to work with. Those creatures can take OAs and so forth, so you are controlling by putting yet another psuedo-defender in the mix, plus they give your melee folks another guy they can use for flanking, always a bonus.

A summoner (ranged) druid would likely use Fire Hawk (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/power.aspx?id=9634) and probably fire seed (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/power.aspx?id=5505) or grasping tide(http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/power.aspx?id=7411) for your at-wills. For your summons I'd recommend something like

Level 1 Daily - Summon Giant Toad - http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/power.aspx?id=5367

Level 5 Daily - Summon Fire Beetle - http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/power.aspx?id=5371

Level 9 daily - Summon Great Eagle - http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/power.aspx?id=7414

Depending on how often your DM gives you extended rests that will allow you to bring out one of your summons every fight by paragon tier. To enhance your summons there is strong willed summoning to give them +1 to their attacks (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/feat.aspx?id=1876) and a couple other feats I need to look up, been awhile since i've played a druid.

For your paragon path Primal Summoner is always a good choice (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/paragonpath.aspx?id=485) as is Pack Lord (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/paragonpath.aspx?id=484)

e: You can also play a beast summoner, you just need to take some feats that allow you to shift in/out of beast form relatively easily so you can summon your dudes and shift back into beast form.

adaz fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 6, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sefer posted:

Druid summons generally don't have OAs; they get the instinctive actions instead. So while they take up space and can provide a damage sink, they're not going to get any free attacks beyond the instinctive one. Enemies can just walk away from druid summons (not that most summons won't follow them next turn).

You are right, although other classes summons do. I guess that's the tradeoff with the druids, no OAs but you do get instinctive behaviors. I had forgotten the rule that summoned creatures have no actions of their own just whatever the summoning power gives them. I've been playing a lot with Shaman spirit companions and the cool Psion PP dreamwalker (which do have OAs) and just spaced the relevant entry in the rules

quote:

Commanding the Creature: The summoned creature has no actions of its own; the summoner spends actions to command it mentally. The summoner can do so only if he or she has line of effect to the creature. When commanding the creature, the summoner shares its knowledge but not its senses. The summoning power determines the special commands that the summoned creature can receive and gives an action type for each command. If a command is a minor action, it can be given only once per round. If a summoned creature’s description lacks a command for it to move, the summoner can take a minor action to command it to take one of the following actions, if it is physically capable of taking that action: crawl, escape, run, stand up, shift, squeeze, or walk.

adaz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 7, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Dedekind posted:

The CharOp assumption is that a striker should be able to kill a standard monster of the same level in two turns, so roughly speaking that means your average damage per round should be around 4*level+12.

That is incorrect. 4*level+12 is actually just about game breaking if not outright too much damage for the game to handle. It's more like 3-5 rounds for a striker to solo a EL level mob (using at-wills) to keep it more in line with what the game designers seem to have intended, and how encounters work. 2 rounds to solo is about the most you ever want to try to play a real game with, and less than that is just broken.

e: 4*level+12 is like best-of-designs for charOp damage basically

adaz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 7, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

There's a poster on CharOP that has this in his sig:

Baseline Striker DPR: 2*level + 6
Optimized: 4*level + 12
Nerfbat Please: 8*level + 24

Looking at the totals that I have for the first P1 - King of the Trollhaunt warrens, the optimized archer ranger was doing about 59 dpr from level 11 to 12, and the dark pact warlock was doing 37.8 dpr in the same span.

Granted, the Ranger was getting all the love from the Warlord. Adaptive stratagem + a few granted attacks helped out a bit, I think.

Ahh yeah that warlord probably made up (most) of the difference between them, although the archer ranger is still going to out DPR him even without the warlord I would guess.

Trying to think, at mid paragon tier (level 15) MM3 style monsters are rocking ~140 ish HP. So by his formula optimized would be 72 DPR and baseline would be 36 DPR. So yeah, right in that 2-4 round window that seems to be about right with game mechanics. Although if you really do have a 3 strikers running 4*level+12 DPR you're probably going to have run EL+3/4s to keep things interesting.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Escher posted:

Is this 72 DPR with at wills? I've only just started DMing a 4e campaign at first level, so I've never played paragon tier or even studied the books very hard, but how can you build a 72 DPR (for example) rogue? For damage from dice, with a sneak attack you are dong at best 4d8 (so expect 18). Where is your + 54 damage coming from? (or more really, because you have some miss chance, pushing down your expected damage). With max in dex and one damage producing secondary, along with all the obvious +damage feats I can see getting to +25 or so, but where does the rest come from?

I'm just curious, how do people push out those kind of DPRs at level 15?

Yeah you can do 72 DPR with just at wills, there are many examples on the char builder forums (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22105109/DPR_King_Candidates_2.0). The most popular ways to do so involve abusing slides with zone/area effects, stacking vulnerabilities, magic item interactions with feats/powers, avenger or avenger hybrids to get multiple attacks w/ oath, and loving with the battlemind brutal barrage (4 attacks) power. But there are many, many ways. It's actually kind of a fun game to try and play if you are bored and like building characters.

As long as you don't try and use them, they really do upset game balance.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Siets posted:

Speaking of rangers, I just started a brand new one last night and would like some help!

I rolled an Eladrin Ranger for character/RP specific purposes, but the teleporting per encounter racial I believe has some potential for getting safely into combat advantage positions and busting out daily powers.

Any ideas on what powers/feats I should be looking at? Also looking for advice on what my stats should be for the standard 22pt buy. Currently have it at 16 str, 16 dex (after racial), and 14 wis, but I'm guessing this isn't optimal since the OP was insisting on an 18. Problem is that this is quite expensive given my race, which I'm not willing to change. So what can we do with an Eladrin twin-blade Ranger that wants to use teleporting to it's fullest potential?

How do you feel about some hybrid action? If you like teleporting the class that comes to mind is a swordmage, and a swordmage/ranger hybrid might be interesting as an eladrin. The ability scores don't line up except for INT and you'd have to run a 16 int/17 or so, however there are ways of boosting your chances to hit so you'd only be a tad behind a pure striker. There are some cool eladrin feats for swordmages as well, giving you a free MBA when you teleport next to someone as an example. It'd be an interesting way to play a defender/striker.

I guess that's what I got out of your post, if you love the eladrin teleporting, then it might be cool to mix in the class that does teleporting the most and try and make it work with your ranger, I think we could make it work.

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 8, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Siets posted:

With that SAID, I want to deal as much single target surprise burst damage as I can and I want to look cool doing it! :c00lbert: The hybrid swordmage idea sounds kinda neat. I may investigate that a bit more. However, what is the cookie cutter "lots of melee attacks with bonus added damage Ranger" build that lots of (outdated?) guides seem to keep referencing? What would the core feats and powers be that might be associated with that?

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

Well, the swordmage isn't really about single target damage - they have a ton of burst/blast/zone powers and are a defender after all. With that said I was playing around with this today as I was bored and found some interesting little combos that might work. Really depends on what level you are starting at, I was playing around with this guy at level 11 trying to give you as many MBAs and attacks as possible for crit fishing. if you have Insider I can toss up the .dnd4e file somewhere if you want it.

Eladrin Swordmage Advance - free MBA when teleporting adjacent to another enemy - http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/feat.aspx?id=1129

Eladrin Soldier - proficiency with all spears + 2 damage rolls w/ longswords & spears - http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/feat.aspx?id=64

Wintertouched/Lasting Frost - gain combat advantage against creature w/ cold power and give Vuln 5 cold to creature

Two-Weapon fighting - +1 to damage rolls - http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/feat.aspx?id=173

Hybrid Talent - Ranger Fighting style - Two blade fighting style. This lets you wield a long sword in one hand and a Tratnyr in the other (spear with 10/20 range, 1d8 damage, uses strength) to make your ranged attacks with.

So your opening combo would be something like this, but you would need a cold weapon.

1.) Fey Step to be adjacent to enemy, use MBA to give them cold vulnerability.

2.) Use a ranger at-will/encounter melee power. At level 11 with hunters quarry and twin strike this would be two attacks, 20 vs. AC as we have combat advantage. Damage is (1d8 + 6 + 5) x 2 + 2d8 , I believe DPR off that attack plus the mBA will come to about 43 (without factoring in crit damage) for your opener.

e: We could also go polearm/spear shenanigans with Polearm Gamble and a Great Spear to always make our attacks from two squares away and mark the enemy. The enemy would then have two choices, if they move to a square adjacent to you you get a OA thanks to Polearm Gamble. If they try to attack one of your allies since you have them marked then you use the Aegis of Assault to teleport next to them and give them a MBA for some sweet out of turn attacks. However, the ability score of 15 wisdom required for Polearm Gamble would mean you would have to make your int so low as to make nearly every swordmage power worthless

adaz fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 8, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Markovnikov posted:

I've always liked the Skirmisher Sorcerer build that gets into melee and fries the crisp out of enemy monster; particularly the Cosmic Sorcerer class feature. Anyone have suggestions on how to make the sorcerer more survivable in melee? I've already made a Sorcerer/Paladin Hybrid that spends its Hybrid Talent Feat to get Paladin Armor Proficiency and works really well, but I'm curious if anyone has other options.

Well, you could hybrid with a warlock to get access to Shadow Walk, giving you partial concealment as long as you move 3 squares on your turn. There are some feats available that also improve shadow walk I believe.

You could also run a hybrid Sorcerer/Ardent to give you access to more leader abilities plus all armor but plate with hybrid talent feat. Nice synergy of some powers there too, and the mantles will help out your allies in Melee range.

e: I'm guessing when essentials hybriding rules come out sorcerer/blackguard will be a good option.

Siets posted:

Are there any good online databases of all the 4e feats and what books they are in, or should I just suck it up and get D&D Insider?

Get insider, I don't think anything like that exists online. I mean, the character builder/compendium will tell you what books they are in but of course they are insider only.

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 9, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

How much will your DM let you change? Just feats, or can we re-order some ability scores? Your powers are look fine, was thinking of some feat jiggering to get you some more opportunities.

You said like you pushing and shoving people correct? We could set you up as a polearm smashing and killing guy if that floats your boat with things like polearm gamble and polearm momentum

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

CommaToes posted:

The feats are fair game, as are the powers.

The only thing that really limits me is the fact that it's a Halfling warlord and therefore limited to weapon selections.

Fortunately this, plus Heavy Blade Expertise, plus those boots give me +5 AC against opportunity attacks.

Your powers aren't bad, I wouldn't swap anything off hand if they are working for you, considering you are a bravura warlord.

I haven't really had any luck coming up with anything super obvious, limited as we are by being a halfling and the ability scores. I'm honestly at a bit of a loss, the polearm feats would work with a Talenta Sharrash, but you don't have high enough dexterity to get them at all.

I'm at a loss, maybe someone else will have some bright ideas.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

crime fighting hog posted:

Is it cool if I post a concept in here for direction on how to make it work mechanically? I'd love to someday play a mounted defender of some sort. I don't know if the Cavalier works as a class or not, so I figured I'd ask.

Dwarf Hybrid Ranger beastmaster /Fighter w/ beast protector feat and mounted beast feat. Congratulations, you are an OA provoking machine and can ride your pet into battle as well as have access to all the crucial fighter marks, feats, and paragon paths. Also if you want to get cheesy get a polearm, polearm momentum/gamble, and you can be a reach 2 OA provoking machine. STR is your primary with both classes, so you don't have to sacrifice much for NADs, although I would say get up to a 16 wisdom or so by paragon so you can pick up superior will.

e: :derp:

adaz fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 13, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Meepo posted:

How do you twin strike with a polearm?

I was thinking the Talenta sharrash could be wielded one handed by a medium or larger creature but I was in fact wrong, the small property just means a small creature can use a two handed weapon. Actually, that one isn't even reach, so I was really remembering wrong.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

What requires you to use a polearm specifically? I was assuming you were shooting for Polearm Momentum, which explicitly triggers off spears as well as polearms.

I was wanting to combine Polearm Gamble with Polearm momentum, but that's a good point that momentum will work fine with as spear.

quote:

Polearm Gamble
Paragon Tier
Prerequisite: 11th level, Str 15, Wis 15
Benefit: When a nonadjacent enemy enters a square adjacent to you, you can make an opportunity attack with a polearm against that enemy, but you grant combat advantage to that enemy until the end of the enemy’s turn.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I realised it was Gamble shortly after I posted, actually.

There is a way, however, but it does require you being 24th level - Eternal Defender allows you to wield weapons as if Large, which lets you wield Medium 2-handers one-handed.

Mother of god, now I really want to be an eternal defender dual wielding gigantic gently caress all polearms as a dwarf :black101:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

He could be using something like hammer rhythm in which con becomes a very important stat, or just need it for feat pre-reqs. When you say no class requires 3 stats you are correct, but there are plenty of specific builds that might just to meet feat pre-reqs, power benefits, and so forth.

For the billionth time, there are reasons you don't necessarily want to take a 20 in your primary stat.

adaz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 16, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Every point of con bonus increases your damage on a miss by one point. Every point of str (or whatever) bonus increases your damage on a hit by one point, and increases your chance to hit. Hammer Rhythm is not a reason to reduce your attack stat in order to increase your constitution.

There are side benefits to con too, including increased defenses, surges, feat-prerequisites, and HP that can make it a worthwhile contribution especially since all you are giving up is a 5% chance to hit and + 1 damage.

For instance if you had a hybrid battlemind/paladin built around hammer rhythm + brutal barrage and its various abuses it would make complete sense to not have strength be 20, but to focus equally on CON.

A blind "20 in primary attack stat" really pushes out a lot of the more interesting things that can be done with the design space. .

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

e: meh not worth it, death to ability scores

adaz fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 17, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

dog kisser posted:

2) Human Battlemind - Just made this one recently and am pretty vague on his details. Probably speedy and glaive wielding, but beyond that I'm game for anything.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, but note that we're playing a pretty casual campaign; I don't need perfect, but not-broken would be nice. Thanks!

A friend of mine is a (dragonborn) glaive wielding battlemind. His build is this at level 15: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=wave&srcid=FwLYBm9Y1&chrome=true&pli=1

I will say, as the DM of that group, it's an incredibly effective build for a defender. The key is the polearm gamble and polearm momentum combined with iron defense.

His usual strategy is to find a choke point close to our strikers and spend his standard on iron defense. Then, you wait until someone gets close enough to you to provoke your polearm gamble which thanks to being a glaive you can use a battlemind power (bulls strength) to push the target 3-4 squares (or more, just depends on items you have) and knock it prone. Or, if someone gets around him somehow he can still lightning rush to interrupt the attack and spend power points to regain his standard back the next turn to use on iron defense. If by the grace of god you hit him, it'll only do half damage most of the time anyways.

He has been incredibly difficult to kill, but it is more of a "passive" defender since you are really just setting yourself up and waiting for the enemy to come to you or target one of your allies. Iron Defense is incredibly awesome though. The lower than expected con is due to feat pre-reqs, but thanks to blade opportunist he gets a +2 to OAs which is basically all he ever uses anyways and makes up for it.

Dazed on his character is more effective than most since it really fucks up the entire build (man dazed on defenders is broken :()

e: not that you should necessarily build that exact thing, but it gives you an idea of why glaive (and the iron guardian paragon path) are so popular.

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 17, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

On your battlemind did you not want to use the polearm feats and heavy blade opportunity? It's pretty much the only reason to take a glaive - if you did want to use them you will need to redo your ability scores because you'll need 15 STR 15 DEX 15 WIS (wisdom only needed for the polearm feats, not heavy blade opportunity) to get them. If you don't want them I'd think about using a different weapon that does more damage and has a higher proficiency bonus.

e: I would really highly recommend heavy blade opportunity if nothing else and you are keeping your glaive, being able to use your battlemind at-wills with your opportunity attacks makes Melee Training: Constitution more-or-less worthless (unless you have a leader in your group handing out a bunch of MBAs to you for some reason) and your battlemind at-wills are usually going to be way better than your MBAs.

adaz fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 19, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

dog kisser posted:

Ah that's why it wasn't showing up! I'll reset my ability scores.

Also, Polearm Gamble and Heavy Blade opportunity are paragon tier feats, but polearm momentum is heroic.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

dog kisser posted:

Isn't Polearm Momentum Fighter only? That's what the Character Builder says.

Yes it is, you'd have to pick up a multiclass fighter feat to have access to it. Not sure which one would be the best, wrathful warrior would give you a once per encounter temp hp boost

adaz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 19, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

I think I was unclear, he means something like a huge brute with a tower shield and a massive lance (not mounted). Like a walking tank, something like this:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/robertninja/Site/WK.jpg

As far as the race, Goliaths are about as big as you get in 4e. But with a shield/spear combo. As far as what weapon to use, that's kind of an issue because most of the good spears are two handed. For one handed spears you have the Spear,Trident,Tratnyr annd that's it as far as I know.

Trying to think of spear feats, the Eladrin and Elves have some I know, but the polearm feats require him to use something that's two-handed, not a one of the one handed spears is also a polearm

adaz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 23, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

bacon! posted:

I am extremely jealous of the 45ish DPR stuff that the people on the char-op forums come up with. I made a blackguard and I think I did a good job optimizing him, but normal rounds I'm averaging about 20-25 damage. Can you guys give me any pointers?

Since your blackguard is doing cold damage a lot, picking of winterfrost/lasting frost is a pretty good and solid way to bump up your damage. Your rider would ongoing would bump up to 10 and your initial hit would do 5 extra, it's a worthwhile contribution.

adaz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 26, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Taking a break from DMing and letting a friend dm for a adventure. Staring at level 16 since some folks didn't want to swap characters and decided I wanted the chargiest charge man who ever charged.

I don't know, I think he's pretty much good but wanted to make sure I didn't overlook something - granted I took 2 MC cleric feats simply because of the flavor of him being a Minotaur Barbarian Cleric of Bane (After all, Bane :3: axe wieldin' charge dudes right?) but i'm willing to listen to other suggestion.

Char sheet pdf here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6fDeSkDaFY0OWQyMTIxMjctNWMzYS00MzhmLWJmOTUtYjk2ZjQ2NWY4Yjcx&hl=en_US

or summary below:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kharn, level 16
Minotaur, Barbarian, Beastblooded Minotaur
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
Inherent Bonuses
Occupation - Zealous Slayer (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 24, CON 14, DEX 14, INT 11, WIS 16, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 30 Fort: 31 Ref: 25 Will: 28
HP: 119 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 29

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +19, Endurance +16, Nature +18, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +11, Heal +11, History +8, Insight +11, Intimidate +7, Perception +13, Stealth +9, Streetwise +7, Thievery +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Minotaur Racial Power: Goring Charge
Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
Barbarian Feature: Rage Strike
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Cleric Feature: Healer's Mercy
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Recuperating Strike
Barbarian Utility 2: Feral Rejuvenation
Barbarian Attack 3: Blade Sweep
Barbarian Attack 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Barbarian Utility 6: Combat Surge
Barbarian Attack 7: Curtain of Steel
Barbarian Attack 9: Rage of the Death Spirit
Endurance Utility 10: Reactive Surge
Beastblooded Minotaur Attack 11: Sweeping Gore
Beastblooded Minotaur Utility 12: Thrashing Horns
Barbarian Attack 13: Storm of Blades
Barbarian Attack 15: Thunderfury Rage
Barbarian Utility 16: Spur the Cycle

FEATS
Level 1: Powerful Charge
Level 2: Axe Expertise
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Execution axe)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Axe)
Level 8: Reckless Charge
Level 10: Deadly Rage
Level 11: Superior Will
Level 12: Charging Rampage
Level 14: Initiate of the Faith
Level 16: Divine Channeler (Cleric)

ITEMS
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Vicious Execution axe +4 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Sunrod
Hempen Rope (50 ft.)
Climber's Kit
Everburning Torch
Silk Rope (50 ft.)
Trail Rations
Boots of Striding (heroic tier) x1
Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1
Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier) x1
Veteran's Hide Armor +4 x1
Gloves of Grace (heroic tier)
====== End ======

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

MC Fighter, Surprising Charge with a warshovel. Also swap Ax for Spear Expertise. And get a Badge of the Berserker, and a Vanguard weapon, and a Horned Helm. Might as well powerswap for Rain of Blows or some Fighter immediate while you're at it. And you can replace that lovely PP with Kensei at least (or Kulkor if you can find a reliable way to use it).

We're using house item rules, can't take any of those items as they are uncommon otherwise I would've. However, I had missed vanguard weapons when looking through everything,so thanks for that, and gently caress if I know why I picked an execution axe was just liking the flavor of a gigantic gently caress all axe I guess, but spears are definitely better when charging.

Good call on Kensei. Original plan was at 18 to pick up polearm gamble and retrain into quick draw so after my charges I could act as a backup defender (plus polearm with paragon path would give me reach three)... but I think Kensei is just too good even if I like the flavor of beastbloodied minotaur. I always do that when building characters for myself and paragon paths, pick the flavor ones over the effective ones.

Thanks!

e: wait I remembered why I didn't use a spear, unless I am wrong (very possible), the bonus won't stack with powerful charge as they are both untyped bonuses from feats right? Or am I missing something?

adaz fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 29, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Untyped bonuses stack, while "feat bonuses" don't.

well I was curious and thinking I was wrong so I looked it up, and they don't if they are from the same type like I thought unless I am reading this wrong?

http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/glossary.aspx?id=536

quote:

Untyped Bonus: Some bonuses have no type (“a +2 bonus,” for instance). Most of these bonuses are situational and combine with other bonuses, including other untyped bonuses. However, untyped bonuses from the same named game element (such as a power or a feat) are not cumulative; only the highest applies, unless otherwise noted.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"Feats" is not a named game element. What they mean by that is if you had two allies with the same power/feat which grants you +2 untyped to hit, you'd only get +2. If two people use Furious Smash on the same enemy, you don't get that bonus damage twice.

Note the "a power"/"a feat," which denotes that they're talking about individual powers and feats and not the category as a whole.

Ah ok, so I was reading it wrong, thanks for the clarification. Sometimes the bonus stacking gets confusing

adaz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 29, 2011

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Your feats need work, let's see. Also, why no shield? To be honest superior fortitude could probably be dropped too, as a iron guardian you will hardly ever take damage... superior will keep though because gently caress stun/dazed. Could also pick up the +4 to saving throws against stun/dazed, a solid feat.

Pick up.

Superior Will - +2/+3/+4 to will defense by tier, saving throw at start of your turn against stun/dazed.

Axe Expertise - Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with an axe. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
Also, when rolling damage for a weapon attack you make with an axe, you can reroll one damage die that results in a 1, but you must use the second result.

Melee Training (constitution) - let you use CON instead of STR for MBAs and OAs. Without this your OAs are worthless.

Psionic Reflexes - +1 attack bonus to OAs, +2 by spending a powerpoint

Superior Fortitude - +2/+3/+4 to fort, resist 3/6/9 ongoing

Weapon Focus (Axe) - +1/2/3 to damage always good

Drop:
Paragon Defenses - redundant
Versatile Expertise - get the equivalent weapon feat
Durable - you're a dwarf, don't need this. Also, Iron Guardian if you even have to spend a healing surge an encounter i'd be shocked.
Unfailing Vigor - if you need this poo poo is already too far south to save you, far too situational. Also you're an iron guardian you will never die.
Quick Draw - Not needed unless you are swapping around weapons
Spring Step - too situational, especially as a dwarf you get a saving throw before being knocked prone

e: If you wanted debuff effects you're probably going to have to rely on the shield feats and stuff that pushes and knock prone on OAs. Does that sound like something you want to do?

adaz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Bistromatic did I miss it in there or did you not pick a paragon path yet?

Also you are missing lightning rush which is probably the single best battlemind power. Body double is also a really good power, but not quite as good as lightning rush, besides I think at level 13 if I remember my build rules right you can swap & get both.

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 18, 2011

• Locked thread