Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

-Fish- posted:

Thank you guys for being way cooler than the CharOP forums on WotC. I'm not sure why I even bothered posting in that hellhole.

:) : Say guys, how do I help my wife put out better fire damage?

:reject: : Your wife has low system mastery if she's trying to do fire! Fire can't be optimized at all and is infinitely inferior to thunder or lightning. Also she needs to be a tiefling.

:what:

Fire, like Poison, has a feat that says "you ignore immunities". How is that not being taken into consideration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Dropping a point from the highest NAD -- which for a lot of classes is going to be higher than AC -- to boost each of the other NADs by a point is totally worth doing.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Locus Cosecant posted:

Agreed! If it didn't cost you +1 to hit, +1 to damage, +1 to your highest skills, +1 to healing, +1 to divine challenge damage, et cetera, I would be all over it. But that's a really high cost to pay for a mildly beneficial trade! Now that it's been demonstrated that Adaz doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about, maybe you should just drop the subject?

Of those, the only thing that's a real loss is +1 to hit, which really shouldn't matter with a DM who knows encounter design. +1 to a skill is pretty trivial -- +1 to a push (fairly common off-stat rider effect) or teleport, or +1 to a monster's to-hit penalty (also a pretty common rider effect), are all well worth it. I mean, if you're going to include everything affected by dropping the mainstat, be fair and include everything affected by raising the offstat.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Locus Cosecant posted:

You're taking -1 to hit to give a monster -1 to hit, if you hit? Surely if the DM "knows encounter design" (i.e. ignores your stats and just decides whether or not you hit arbitrarily), giving the monster a -1 to hit really shouldn't matter? You piece of poo poo.

I'm not going to be able to give that dodge of everything else in my post better than a C-. Maybe the extra credit for the troll/personal attack can bring it up to a C and you can graduate from Angry Internet Guy university??

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Locus Cosecant posted:

If you have a particular power that you intend to spam over and over that has a strong rider (Psion and Dishearten, I am looking at you), then it can make sense to go 18-18 rather than 20-16. I've always said that there are specific circumstances that can make it the right choice. I'm just saying you should have a strong reason in mind if you are not taking a 20 in your primary stat, and it is far, far, far from a "retarded" choice.

Whoa this is a reasonable statement that I can agree with.

It's hard to say "See how discussion can happen when you're aren't being Super Angry Guy and cussing dudes out for having different opinions" without sounding condescending, so I'm pretty much not gonna try.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Locus Cosecant posted:

I addressed more of your points than you did of mine, but that's really beside the point. I'm not interested in convincing you, I know that's not possible. I'm just trying to keep you from doing too much damage to someone who innocently, naively comes into the 4e CharOp thread looking for CharOp advice and sees you talking about how bonuses to hit are useless.

Yes. That is exactly what I said instead of talking about how sometimes it is worth it to drop your to-hit chance by 5% to boost some other stuff by a small amount. Bonuses to hit are useless. Elegant summation of the position.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Locus Cosecant posted:

"+1 to hit, which really shouldn't matter with a DM who knows encounter design". You literally said this. This is a direct quotation of a post you made, on this same page.

Yes, 'losing +1 to hit (to gain other bonuses)' maps precisely to '+hit bonuses are irrelevant'. No, wait, it's a wild distortion of the original statement.

Why do you hate the idea that a DM should be good at encounter design? If a party has a lot of fire damage output, making most of your encounters have high fire resist or immunity is a dick move, for instance. So is throwing monsters that can only be hit on 15s and better. A DM should know the capabilities of the party and take them into account guided by experience -- if they're using forced movement to pinball things into flanking or bad zones, maybe the occasional monster that reduces forced moves by 1 or has an immediate reaction to forced movement would make for an interesting problem. If the guy playing the fire mage really likes burning things, throw in the occasional guy with resist to other stuff but vulnerable 5 fire to let him shine.

A hypothetical all-20-mainstat party is going to hit more often and have weaker riders. This makes encounter design slightly (slightly!) different from an 18-mainstat party that misses more and has stronger riders -- the different NADs and stronger pushes/penalties result in different fight outcomes from the same encounter.

There are also classes (PHB Wizard comes to mind) where a lot of powers have no offstat riders at all, and a build specializing in those powers has a very strong case for a 20 mainstat -- there the only benefit does come from boosting NADs and/or HP, which I'd consider not worth it for a Controller.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

Immunties are not resistances? I thought actual immunity was fairly rare.

The Burn Everything feat (Adaz links to it upthread) reduces fire resistances by your Int mod (5+Int at Paragon, 10+Int at Epic) and also treats fire immunity as Resist 25 Fire (which would then be reduced by about 18, so effectively Fire Immune becomes Resist 5-7 Fire depending on where you are in the tier).

The Assassin Venom Hand Master feat lets you flat-out ignore poison resist/immunities.

Speaking of Druids, there is a Druid feat (Venomous Fang) that lets you ignore the first 5*Tier points of poison resist.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Locus Cosecant posted:

Good golly that's a loaded question! Next you'll be asking me why I hate freedom, or when I stopped beating my wife.

Why, it's almost like someone read things into your post that you didn't put there and responded to that imaginary stuff!

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Dedekind posted:

The CharOp assumption is that a striker should be able to kill a standard monster of the same level in two turns, so roughly speaking that means your average damage per round should be around 4*level+12.

The problem is that the CharOp assumption and the developer's assumption don't seem to line up. Almost all strikers have no problem meeting that damage guideline at early levels, and so the expectation in CharOp is that they should be able to maintain that performance throughout the character's entire career. However, meeting those goals in the later levels require some very specific choices for all classes, and for some classes -- most notably some of the newer strikers -- it is essentially impossible. So the developers might be working on the expectation that strikers should take different amounts of time to kill monsters in low levels versus later levels.

I know for a fact our twinstrike Ranger isn't doing anything close to 36 DPR on average in our level 6 party. She definitely doesn't play optimally, but I'm a little surprised any level six ranger can do that on average as opposed to in a burst.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Mark of Passage boosts all your telports and shifts by one, and Rangers have access to lots of shifts. But many GMs don't allow dragonmarks outside of Eberron, so check. If allowed, i'd consider it practically mandatory.

Unless you are targeting a specific build gimmick, really know what you're doing, or the rest of the party's to-hit matches yours, I strongly recommend 18 as a bare minimum for the attack stat. Going for 2 secondaries is not really optimal either.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Phandy posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but...

Does anyone know if using a dagger as an implement allow you to add sneak attack damage if you're a rogue?

The wording for Sneak Attack says "When you make an attack using a light blade," so if you're a Scoundrel MC'd into Sorcerer, this would work fine, if you are either flanking or have Distant Advantage and the target's being flanked. I'm pretty sure Hybrids restrict the striker feature to that class' powers only, so it wouldn't work for a Rogue|Sorcerer hybrid.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Have you considered swapping out Combat Leader for Canny Leader or Battlefront Shift? +2 to Insight and Perception isn't as aces as training Insight flat-out, but it's something and you could open up that feat slot, unless you feel that your party could really use the extra daily heal. Battlefront Shift is a bit situational, and depends on what sorts of fights your DM likes to set up, but it can be pretty strong.

My alternate take on the good Major involves Brash Assault. Bear with me here, it's kind of a lovely power on the face of it. The part that makes it pretty awesome is the Harlequin Style feat. Then it grants +CHA to all your defenses against the creature you target with Brash Assault for a turn. At that point you basically don't even care if you hit or if it takes the MBA against you or what. Use Brash Assault, then just stroll away with your +2-4 to all defenses. It means giving up Commander's Strike, which is kind of heretical, but nobody who loves shoving people into holes could be expected to give up Opening Shove.

Tactician's Invitation lets you put enemies into a state where the next party member to hit them can slide them, which kind of fits with your shoving theme. Create a Target pushes and applies a weird forced-movement debuff. I'd take Shake it Off over Rub Some Dirt on It myself, but that sort of thing is party-situational and there's nothing wrong with your choice there. Deadly Distraction lets you build on the 'Your opportunity attacks are as nothing before this fully armed and operational halfling' angle, and Devastating Offensive grants a slide as well as repositions an ally. I would consider taking either of those. Staggering Spin is hilarious, kind of lets you avoid OAs by pushing enemies out of adjacency, pushes, and lets you kick a guy onto a buddy's sword. I'm saying I'd take it if it were me. Stand the Fallen is really good, though. They're both "I'm gonna wait till just the perfect moment to use this" powers, though, which depending on your personality might lead to a lot of fights where you almost use it then the fight's over and in retrospect you should have gone for it.

Inspiring Reaction sounds good, but in my fights my Warlord is just rarely adjacent to anyone because we're usually trying to flank, so I've grown wary of powers that do awesome stuff to someone adjacent. Your mileage may vary. I'd go with Tactical Supervision, because more hits = more dead guys, and more dead guys = less need to heal up.

Join the Crowd has a lot of potential if your party composition is such that you think you'll get to use it regularly.

As I built this version up, I realized that you just don't have the feat space for Harlequin Style, so I dropped Brash Assault for Intuitive Strike. Weapon attacks vs. Will are very nice, and handing out attack bonuses means more deadguys sooner. Furious Smash (vs Fort, only Str mod damage, but one ally gets +Cha to hit and damage on your target) and Rousing Assault (vs AC, +Cha to HP restored with any warlord healing power) are also worth considering.

This version grabs Drow Long Knife proficiency -- dropping the die size loses you 1 point of damage on average and you get the +3 proficiency bonus. I decided to drop the multiclass to make room for it -- your call as to whether or not that's a worthwhile tradeoff. I dropped Superior Will for Improved Defenses, for a FRW of 21/20/20 vs 20/19/21, but the anti-stun/daze bonus on Superior Will is just too good to do without, especially for a leader, so stick with that. The only other thing I'd consider trading for the Longknife proficiency is Mark of Healing -- your call on how saving throw-intensive your fights are going to be.

Major Corrin remix posted:

Major Corrin, level 8
Halfling, Warlord
Build: Resourceful Warlord
Archer Warlord Optional Choice: Standard Warlord Armor Features
Warlord: Combat Leader
Commanding Presence: Resourceful Presence
Background: Officer Who Came Out of Retirement (Officer Who Came Out of Retirement Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 23 Fort: 21 Reflex: 20 Will: 20
HP: 60 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +14, Athletics +14, History +13, Intimidate +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +4, Heal +4, Insight +4, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +7, Stealth +3, Streetwise +7, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Nimble Dodge
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Drow Long Knife)
Level 4: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 6: Mark of Healing
Level 8: Improved Defenses

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Opening Shove
Warlord at-will 1: Intuitive Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Tactician's Invitation
Warlord daily 1: Create a Target
Warlord utility 2: Shake It Off
Warlord encounter 3: Deadly Distraction
Warlord daily 5: Staggering Spin
Warlord utility 6: Tactical Supervision
Warlord encounter 7: Join the Crowd

ITEMS
Jagged Drow Long Knife +3, Throwing Shield Light Shield (heroic tier), Magic Hide Armor +2, Resplendent Boots (heroic tier), Cloak of Distortion +1, Circlet of Authority (heroic tier), Gauntlets of the Ram (heroic tier), Kord's Mighty Strength (level 3)

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Well, I dicked around and this is what I came up with:

pre:
Pvt. Scott, level 4
Human, Slayer
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
Background: Occupation - Mariner (Perception class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.
This is the main change -- taking 20 in your main stat. I'm not of a mind that this is a mandatory thing for all characters, unlike some other folks here, but if your group is seriously suboptimal you might want to pick up the slack. Also, a Slayer's a striker class, and hitting is really important to your whole 'make things be dead' focus. You mentioned the party doesn't have a lot of coverage for Perception, so I changed the background to one with a Perception bonus.

pre:
AC: 19 Fort: 21 Reflex: 16 Will: 16
HP: 44 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11
And there's one of the costs: 2 points from Reflex.

pre:
TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +7, Perception +7, Endurance +6, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +1, Bluff +2, Dungeoneering +2, History +1, Insight +2,
Intimidate +2, Nature +2, Heal +2, Religion +1, Stealth +3, Thievery +3

FEATS
Human: Axe Expertise
Level 1: Iron Will
Level 2: Student of Battle
Level 4: Skill Power
I dropped Toughness for Skill Power, and I'll go into my reasoning a bit later. This stat allotment doesn't allow for Initiate of the Faith, so I picked Student of Battle, training Diplomacy. There are other Warlord multiclass feats that don't have the daily heal but have some pretty good effects (the Bravura one hands out a pretty good damage bonus on action-point spend), but you mentioned being low on heals in general.

pre:
POWERS
Skill Power: Endure Pain
Slayer utility 1: Berserker's Charge
Slayer utility 1: Mobile Blade
Slayer utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
I consider Inspiring Fortitude really good in early Heroic, which is right where you're at. Use your second wind and hand out 10 THPs to everyone in a burst 5? 10 THPs is not far shy of a full healing surge's worth, taking some pressure off your healer. Endure Pain gives you a bit more margin to overextend yourself into a pile of enemies and draw some (reduced by 5 each) fire.

I swapped your utility stances to Mobile Blade and Berserker's Charge. Berserker's Charge nets you a cool +3 to your attack (+1 from the charge itself, +2 from the stance), and you can cover more ground. So you can start a round in Mobile Blade, hit a chump, move 2 squares (take an OA if you didn't drop the chump, reduced by 5 if you used Endure Pain before starting your turn), spend a minor to enter Berserker's Charge, spend an action point, charge 7 squares and smack a guy from potentially 9 whole squares away from the original chump. All with a big static damage bonus.

I would strongly recommend dumping Unfettered Fury no matter what -- attack penalties are bad, and you have plenty of static damage bonuses that you don't need this one. At least not enough to pay -2 to-hit.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Pvt.Scott posted:

Holy poo poo, I just threw those into the character builder, and that's...not ever fair. Man I suck at 4e char op. I used to be good in 3.5 :smith: Not to mention that the gouge counts as an axe so i can use it with weapon specialization (or whatever that slayer class feature is called). I had been using a mordenkrad at levels 1-3 because 2d6 brutal 1 is nice with power Strike, but hell this is like a mordenkrad but better. Not to mention Rain of Blows is just nuts.

Now I've got to decide between the party helper flexibility stuff Gomi posted (ty btw) and an unstoppable engine of destruction.

At this point it becomes a pretty meta decisions -- will your party dynamics be negatively affected by your becoming a battle-mobile wrecking-poo poo engine? Might everyone up their own game in response? Or are they gonna feel outshone and be less committed to game? Party power imbalances can be bad for a long-term game. If you think everyone's gonna keep sucking and/or be annoyed by a big effectiveness gap, the more party-friendly build might be a better idea. But that's kind of outside CharOp's purview. From a pure 'I want my guy to be a better guy,' J. Alfred Prufrock's input is what I'd go with.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

GruntyThrst posted:

What about classes that rely on 3 stats, like Paladin?

There are no such classes.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

He just described a Paladin build that requires three different stats. Effectively, its a Cha, Wis, and Con build because all three of those stats can or will affect your healing output.

There are builds in a class that use three stats. There is a pretty broad consensus that, outside of very specific gear loadouts or corner case situations, prioritizing three stats is tantamount to not prioritizing any, because the points loadout doesn't allow for it.

There are no classes that require three stats. I stand by the original statement.

quote:

Its pretty much the only class in which it is easy to out heal a leader.

A tightly built, focused, and geared paladin might approach the effectiveness of a low or maybe mid-range leader. If you focus on healing and healing only, ignoring a lot of the other things leaders do, then a positioning/saving-throw focused leader might heal about as much as a healing-obsessed paladin, but that paladin is going to pay for it by being less effective at his ostensible job.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Can we all agree that taking a race that does not have a stat boost to your primary stat is pure masochism though?

There are some racial powers and feats that make it very tempting for some builds, and dwarves were wis/con for a long time yet made great Fighters becase dwarf supremacy, but outside of that, yeah.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

adaz posted:

For the billionth time, there are reasons you don't necessarily want to take a 20 in your primary stat.

In case I was giving anyone the wrong impression, I don't disagree with this at all. Two secondary stats are viable, if you really know what you're doing and are willing to make the tradeoffs, but I wouldn't really call them optimized in the sense that CharOp usually uses.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Also, I'm really tired of "All you are giving up is a 5% chance to hit and +1 damage" because it always contrives to imply that you're, like, getting +8 con in return for -2 attack stat. That is not what happens. In exchange for -1 hit, you get +1 to some defense and to your number of healing surges, or +2 at best. This is not a good trade.

Mostly it implies that a 5% difference in hit chance is not crippling to a character. Which, despite your repeated assertions, it's not. It's often a very good choice, and you're on to something about the other benefits often (though not always) being accessible through feats.

However.

You're massively devaluing all the other things that a different stat allocation can open up, including access to other feats with ability score requirements, or ability-mod-based riders that affect the battlefield out of proportion to 1 point of damage. The marginal utility of an attack that, ceteris paribus, hits 60% of the time and pushes 1 vs one that hits 55% of the time and pushes 2 is not overwhelmingly, axiomatically, automatically in favor of the former. It's a trade-off, calling for judgement and, in the original sense of the word, discrimination.

In cases where, as you say, all the character gets in return for dropping from 20 to 18 is +1 to a defense or two, I've agreed with you -- that's often not a worthwhile trade to make. That is not the only case that exists.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Ah, yes, my assertions that a 5% difference in hit chance is "crippling" to a character. Those assertions I keep making about characters being crippled - literally crippled !! - if they have one less point of attack bonus! Gosh I sure am crazy for saying that so much!

Didn't you post just a few weeks back about how anyone suggesting an 18 in an attack stat was, in essence, a malicious liar trying to trap people?

Your position about 20s in attack stat has always been strident and vigorous to a remarkable extent. If you actually don't believe a character with an 18 in an attack stat is crippled -- if you can actually say that characters with 18s in attack stats are in your opinion suboptimal, but still viable and able to contribute to a party's effectiveness -- then we don't have that much of a disagreement.

Your absolutism on 20s strongly implies that 18s have an effectiveness gap such that the term 'crippled' is a valid descriptor. If you don't think that's accurate, then please state that 18s are, in your opinion, less effective but not overwhelmingly less effective than characters with 20s.

Because that's an opinion that leaves room for argument, instead of histrionics.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, I did. You are one of those people. What's your point?

I was immediately addressing your "Oh I never said an 18 crippled a character" point. You maintained in the past and continue to maintain that an 18 in an attack stat is an indefensible choice -- why, then, the handwringing when I said, in essence, that you considered an 18 attack stat an indefensible choice? In any case, Adaz and myself, entre autres, disagree. As far as I can tell, the discrepancy comes from your valuing certain gameplay elements more highly than I do. And that's fine. Folks get to disagree about what they prioritize. You're trying to enforce your opinions as objective fact, however, which is slightly more difficult to accept. It is rather easy, though, to ignore. Which is what I'll be doing.

quote:

gently caress off with this discourse cop poo poo.

If you mean 'engaging your points and addressing them with relevant questions,' well, okay. You give me the impression of being really, really angry about people disagreeing with you on a minor point in a niche hobby. I don't really have anything to say that'll help with that.

quote:

Actually, your insistence on the construction of strawmen implies that you don't actually have a valid reason to say any of the stuff you're saying.

I've been arguing in good faith throughout, though I do recognize bare assertion is insufficient demonstration of anything. In any case, it's become clear we don't have much left to say to one another on the topic.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Cavern Explorer's Weapon pushes 1 on a crit only. Forceful (Bows only, alas) adds a push 1. Myrdoon's Shard can add a push as a daily power. Barulg's pushes 1 in a close burst 1 as a daily.

Basically 'slap a push onto an existing power' items are gonna be hard to find or use.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Knight's Move doesn't move two dudes, it just grants someone else your move action. If it was 'move, and move another guy too' it would be Super Ballin.

Compendium posted:

Encounter Martial
Move Action Ranged 10
Target: One ally
Effect: The target can take a move action as a free action.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Base Brash Assault is terrible. Harlequin Styled Brash Assault is amazing.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Is paying a feat for a die size bump from d8 to d10 really worth it, especially for a mixed [W] and implement power using class?

I think there's probably better picks for a level 1 feat than proficiency (bastard sword). Extended Teleportation (if the plan is to get a lot of teleport powers) or Mark of Warding (if allowed) would be good. The boring, yet mandatory, +atk feat, of course, but I think there's a better pick for the Human feat slot than broadsword proficiency.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
If the MC feat is available, MC shaman, get an Alfsair Spear, boom, implement.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Yeah, there's a reason Strategist's Epiphany got nerfed -- for about 3-4 sessions, once a session the entire party went first, in init-bonus order. It wasn't quite a guaranteed surprise round once a day, but it was pretty close.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Kind of a goofy question, but I really don't know how it should go -- Dilettante and multiclass. Dilettante specifies you take a power from a class that is not a class you already are. If I take, say, a Cleric Dilettante at-will, then multiclass Cleric and retrain my Dilettante, am I allowed to take a different Cleric at-will? Because at that point, 'Cleric' is in the set of 'classes you are'. RAW that's definitely not ok, but I'm having a hard time parsing out the RAI, even.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Static bonuses dominate damage expressions more and more as you progress in level, so a whip versus a longsword is pretty significant in early Heroic and not that big a deal in late Epic. Several gimmick builds really appreciate a one-handed reach weapon, and for those builds it's pretty much Whip or nothing.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
The original Monk playtest had a mix of [W] and implement powers, as I recall, and the Monk Unarmed Strike featured prominently. This was removed after playtest, the Monk was released as implement only, and Monk Unarmed Strike remained as a vestigial rules appendix of little use, much to everyone's annoyance.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Drewjitsu posted:

1. This isn't a bug. DWT gives you a +2 dmg boost when you use hammers or axes. It doesn't specificity that you have to be using them as a weapon, or that you have to be making weapon attacks to get the bonus.

The issue is that, without Pact Hammer or similar, he can't use his hammer as an implement; that's the source of the question. I'm not seeing anything in the posted sheet that'd let him use the hammer as an implement, and unless he's using it as one or the other, I don't see how DWT would apply.

Given that it looks like a charge/melee based build, I'm not sure about the utility of Hidden Sniper. If Dragonmark feats are allowed, Mark of Passage sometime after getting the at-will teleport at level 10 becomes a pretty high priority, because at-will teleport 2 is more than twice as good as at-will teleport 1.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
An Ardent named Griswold makes me think his emotional aura that inspires the party works more or less like this:

Clark Griswold posted:

I want you people to look this dragon straight in the eye and I want you to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-rear end, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey poo poo he is. Hallelujah. Holy poo poo. Where's the Tylenol?

And it is pretty awesome.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
That is a tasty stat array and a great example of why rolled states are dumb. You have no bad defenses -- which is yay for you, don't get me wrong, but you're 21 points over the standard pointbuy allotment, which is tasty.

If you can still move your scores around, I'd swap Cha and Dex, because putting the 9 in Cha puts you at -1 to more skill checks.

Stalker Spirit is pretty good for your loadout -- a 4 person party with 2 back-row guys (Shaman and Wizard) is going to notice and appreciate another flanker (Stalker's Strike at-will lets your spirit flank for a turn), and the opportunity attack is beefy.

I'd suggest taking Stalker over Protector, if only because the benefits are less reliant on adjacency, which you can't guarantee.

Twin Panthers, which you already have, gains a massive conditional benefit to-hit (vs bloodied enemies) if you go Stalker Spirit -- +Int, which in your case is +4 to hit. This is crazy good at first level, almost doubling your to-hit modifier (from +4 Wis +1 Totem = 5 to +4 Wis +4 Int +1 Totem = 9). Definitely keep that.

I'd pick Spirit of Consuming Terror for the daily, because it's a repeatable attack at decent damage vs. Will, and it imposes a nontrivial hit penalty on the target, which means it'll miss more and you'll need less healing.

Gearwise, I'd suggest either Fell Beast Totem (daily: add 5 poison ongoing to hits with a primal daily power) for more damage or Oalian Balance (Property: +enh to Diplomacy and Nature, daily: on hit, ally adjacent to you or enemy can spend a surge and regain additional HPs equal to the enhancement bonus) for more healing. Hungry Spirits totem has a decent crit effect (move the spirit companion adjacent to what you crit) and allows as a daily you and someone within 2 of an enemy you just hit to spend a surge.

Either the Oalian or Hungry Spirits totem should more than address any gaps in healing, I think. Especially if the Paladin can Lay on Hands a bit.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

fret logic posted:

I agree. I didn't know much about rolling for stats, and everybody at the table was doing it and making it out to be awesome so I was like OK I guess why not? I took the stats I rolled home, and then decided to just do point buy because I didn't really care. I was telling the DM about it and he said "no that's cheating, you rolled your stats you have to keep them" so..now like you said I have 21 points over and ridiculous defenses for a shaman. He insisted on it so I'll take it.

My IRL campaign had some really ridiculous 5d6 drop 2 lowest, roll 3 full sets of stats and keep the one you like best arrangement. He's a good GM, but goddamn that is the silliest stat generation setup I've ever come across. I think my lowest stat was a 14.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Why can't you just get a 1d6 Small Longsword or a 1d8 Small Bastard Sword? Wasn't there an explicit die step size conversion chart in DMG1 about that?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Chaotic Neutral posted:

There is.. for increasing in size only. Small characters are explicitly stated several times to use the same weapons as Medium characters but not being able to use two-handed weapons and only being able to use Versatile weapons as two-handers.

That...blows. On the other hand, it's a trivial fix anywhere but Encounters.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Man-Thing posted:

I'm playing in Encounters this season, and the party is full of surge-spending, pet-summoning feys (a Pixie Shaman, an Eladrin Essentials lovely-warlock apparently and a Drow Beastmaster Ranger). So to stop the tide of suck, I rolled up a good-ol-fashioned Human Fighter. I'm level 1, and will be there until 2012. What's the best build/spread of powers available for a straight-up, level-1 Human Fighter?

Everything is mutable except those two facts. GO!

Also, his name is Juergen Krueger.

Here's something I threw together:

quote:

Juergen Krueger, level 1
Human, Fighter
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
Background: Human - Heir of the Forgotten Gods (Insight class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 18 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +3, Heal +7, Athletics +10, Insight +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -2, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +2, History, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion, Stealth -2, Streetwise -1, Thievery -2

FEATS
Human: Wolfstone Heritage
Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Vicious Offensive
Fighter at-will 1: Shield Feint
Fighter encounter 1: Goading Maneuver
Fighter daily 1: Master's Edge

ITEMS
Longsword, Scale Armor, Heavy Shield

Wolfstone Heritage gives you a daily stance that grants Resist 5 all while bloodied, which is going to make you hard to put down in early Heroic and take some healing pressure off your leader. Between Expertise and Weapon Talent, your +to hit at L1 is +10 -- the average AC is 15, giving you a 75% hit chance against an even-leveled monster. Against a +4 level monster, you're hitting on a 9. With the +2 Wis bonus on OAs, your opportunity attacks against even-level monsters practically auto-hit. Your go-to is going to be Shield Feint to grant a further +3 to-hit bonus against a specific critter (whoever you think is going to be the biggest threat if it gets away from you), but there's also Vicious Offensive and Goading Maneuver for multi-marking. Master's Edge lets you react to a monster entering a square adjacent to a buddy by charging it (and stacking up another +1 to-hit bonus) or taking an MBA.

Things you might want to consider doing differently:

Moving the 14 from Wis to Dex and swapping Wolfstone Heritage for Agile Superiority: This bumps your crap initiative by 2 and uses your Dex mod for all the things your class features used the Wis mod for. Several fighter powers use your Dex mod for riders and this makes them better candidates.

Shield Riposte instead of Goading Maneuver: Str+3 as the attack line is going to scale awfully -- if you go this route, retrain out of it by level 3, 4 at the most. But for now, that's +8 to attack, which hits L1 monsters on a 7+, L5s on 11+, which is decent enough to work with, and Shield Riposte is an immediate reaction that pushes and lets you shift 2.

Switch Heavy Blade Expertise for Light Blade Expertise, switch Wolfstone Heritage for Spiked Shield Proficiency, drop Longsword for Rapier: This is a more techy build, in that it allows you to use Tempest Fighter powers that require two melee weapons (met with Spiked Shield/Rapier) and shield-requiring powers both. Tempest Fighter and Light Blade Expertise both incline the fighter more Defender/Striker, whereas the straight-up sword+board Fighter is Defender with a side dish of more Defendering. I'd say this option doesn't really start to look interesting until mid or late Heroic, but it opens up some loadout choices even at Level 1.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Siets posted:

So I discovered that vampires are a class rather than a template. Can they be built to do anything noteworthy?

Some of the regeneration feats they qualify for look to be potentially hilarious/fun. It's too bad they can't stack with other regen sources though.

The only way to build a Vampire properly is to pick Vryloka as a race and take the Dhampyr feats as soon as possible. See if you can't find some sort of Vampire-related theme, too. Go for 150% Vampire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
I dunno, I rolled a Vampire Pixie and it was pretty rad.

Speaking of Vampires, what's a better MC for them, Monk or Assassin? The oAssassin MC grants 2/encounter shrouds, which makes the punching just that much harder (and two shrouds are a lot easier to manage than four, really), but the Monk MC grants a monk at-will as an encounter, and Full Disciplines are just so goddamn awesome.

• Locked thread