Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yankee fans probably have heard the phrase "Derek Jeter's got an edge" so many times during games. It's in a commercial for tri-state (NJ, NY, CT) Ford dealers, and they say it about ten times during it. They seem to show it about once per inning.

Stop it, Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ASPCA needs to get off my TV. It's not enough that their commercials are tragic, it's also that they're typically a minute long. One of them even says, "If you are disturbed by the images you see here, call now." Don't blackmail me.

Bliggers- posted:

My favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-okJmri2o

Alex Ovechkin is pretty goddamn funny in nearly anything you put him in though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZ-cbDPaaM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTvD3LRSLs
I'm partial to the ones with the New Jersey Devils mascot, because they're my hockey team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTnfz-F8KE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NsUgLOzVWQ

SamBishop posted:

I hate both of you so much for having to look this up. Everything about it gives me a full body shiver.

WHAT THE gently caress AHHHHHHHHH

I don't know what it is, I don't care what it is, I just want this loving commercial off my goddamn TV.
You can't tell me that this wasn't made to appeal to furries.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Justin Timberlake has my respect forever for making fun of Joe Buck's terrible announcing at the MLB All-Star Game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of New York, they've started showing that Tri-State Ford dealer "Derek Jeter's got an edge" commercial again in my area (the one where multiple people say "Derek Jeter? He's got an edge!" before cutting to Jeter in a Ford). However, now they show it on every station that I watch in addition to showing it between innings during Yankee games. They stopped showing it for about a month, but that was the calm before the storm.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Believe it or not, someone has managed to outdo ASPCA (the organization with the commercial that has "I Will Remember You" playing in the background while pictures of sad animals scroll by) with regards to making really loving disturbing commercials. That would be St. Jude's, which has sad music in the background while showing children with cancer. What are they trying to accomplish here? The only consolation is that it's a commercial of normal length, as opposed to the minute-long guiltfest that are ASPCA commercials.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If the Super Bowl is the place for the best commercials, then the MLB Postseason is the worst. I suppose that having some generic pop group singing a song a million times a game (I hope someone else gets the reference I'm making) is better than Dane Cook's shouting during the 2007 MLB Postseason, though.

That DICK! posted:

I just saw an ad for Dr. Pepper 10 that went super heavy on the "MAN STUFF" bullshit. It even ended with "DR. PEPPER 10 - IT'S NOT FOR WOMEN!"

Look I'm no marketing major but isn't alienating HALF your potential consumers a horrible idea? It's understandable for a man-scented body wash or whatever, but for loving Diet Soda?
Sadly they would not be the first diet soft drink to have this style of ad campaign. Pepsi Max a couple of years ago comes to mind.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rirse posted:

Dunno if the movie is any good or not, but can they please air at least one varient of the "In Time" commercial. It's always the same ad for the movie, someone complaining about using time to pay for a cup of coffee.
The $300 tax refund episode of Futurama comes to mind here.

That DICK! posted:

I can understand wanting to appeal more to men for diet drinks, but "It's not for women!" was the best catchline they could come up with? Not "A Man's Diet for a Man's Diet" or "BE THE LUMBERJACK" or some poo poo?
The reason why I think that the ad campaign is stupid is that it explicitly spells out that this should be for men. Better ads aimed for men don't shout "BUY THIS PRODUCT BECAUSE YOU'RE A MAN"- the Old Spice commercials, for instance.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Not only did McDonald's bring back that awful "Mr. Snuggles" sweet tea commercial, they made it full-length every time they show it. I rush for the mute button every time I see it.

You Are A Elf posted:

Dear god, I'd forgotten all about those commercials. The product is called SCOE10X, and I don't know what the gently caress.

The dog poo poo one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE6JkSgeiSw

The cat piss one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPefoXW0T4Q
Apparently I clicked on the link for the dog poo poo commercial a long time ago, since the link showed up as black.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

When it comes to those Ford truck commercials with the words that pop up on the screen as Dennis Leary talks, I think of two things.

1. We watch TV so we don't have to read.

2. Any idiot can make a commercial in the same style, but the only ones that I've seen that do it are local commercials.

This poo poo has gone on for a couple of years during football. Find a new style, and get a different spokesperson. Dennis Leary rubs me the wrong way- not so much because he probably ripped off Bill Hicks, but because he just seems obnoxious. And I think he's a Republican too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mandatory front-page reading about Lexus commercials

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

The Napa Know How commercial has been the bane of my saturday afternoons with SEC on CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy_myvov5C0
I don't see those during college football as much as I do Chic-fil-a commercials. They can make the funniest commercials in the world and I still won't think more of them as a company due to their funding of anti-gay hate groups.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If I were Aaron Rodgers, I'd be ashamed of ever doing that touchdown celebration that's being used on State Farm commercials that run the gag into the ground at least five times over. And now they made a second commercial of it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before because it's been on TV for a couple of months, but there's a Time Warner Cable commercial out there that starts with "calling all vampire-chasing cooking show fanatics." And it starts out with a Twilight-style vampire instead of the cape-wearing fanged type. I know that talking about what "real vampires" are has become pretty tired, but I can't help but feel a little upset when I see that's what our culture thinks of vampires now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rirse posted:

The commercials for That's My Boy plays almost every commercial break these days and it always the exact same joke. Movie looks so bad.
At least they spare you the part that the "Boy" in the title was the product of a teacher-student affair, which can't be said about the trailer.

I'm not making that up either. You'd think Sandler would have hit rock bottom with Jack and Jill and Bucky Larson coming out in the same year, but there is no bottom to this pit.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey guys, it's football season again! Guess what that means! If you guessed "new Ford F-150 commercials where Dennis Leary speaks and the words appear on the screen as he's speaking them," you're absolutely right!

They've been doing this kind of lazy commercial for at least three years. Give it up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

The whole thing apparently stemmed from an undead-themed WoW ad that scared children in China. So they cut out most depictions of blood and bones in the game (the undead faction have different models that basically make them into pale humans)
I thought that the whole "no bones/skeletons in media" stems from some kind of Chinese cultural thing. At least that's what I heard when I played Magic The Gathering, where they basically redraw skeleton creatures for the Chinese market.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is anyone else sick of this autismal-as-gently caress Levi's commercial? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsP6XTHBwRw
Jeans commercials are always all over the place, but the one thing that they all have in common is that they all make you wonder how they make you want to buy jeans.

NY/NJ/CT dwellers: when is the end of that Tri-State Ford dealer sales event? You know why I'm asking this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Alouicious posted:

Not nearly soon enough.
October 1st apparently. 10 more days of this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Has anybody gone into a given commercial break and counted how many of them have Michael Strahan or a Manning brother? I'm pretty sure that there have been multiple commercial breaks with at least three of them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It looks like our theme for this year's Major League Baseball Postseason commercials is Bruce Springsteen. That's already better than last year's "Written In the Stars" theme and 2007's "Dane Cook being a stupid idiot" theme.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rirse posted:

Already tired of KFC's new "Little" series of ads for their little Chicken Little sandwich.
I'm gonna take a page from those commercials and be a little piece of poo poo.

vyst posted:

Holy loving poo poo I get it you can't get [Insert channel here] on DISH network. You can shut up now.
Dish Network: We don't get AMC or a lot of other channels, but boy howdy do we get Glenn Beck's new TV channel!

I'm not making that up- I read it somewhere but not exactly sure where I got it from. I don't even think that it's up and running yet but it did say that they would be carrying it.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 2, 2012

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

You want odd? Come to Vermont. You'd think one of the hippy-est, greenest states in the nation would be all for wind power...nope.

I see a LOT of ads that are along the lines of:

"I'm an environmentalist...and that's why I'm against the wind turbines. Look how the ruined the mountain!" :qq:
Nobody likes wind turbines. People on Long Island don't like them, and Ted Kennedy didn't want them off the coast of Cape Cod.

A follow-up to my post about MLB Postseason commercials: another annual postseason tradition is which awful show that nobody will watch is going to be promoted by TBS on every commercial break. Nobody remembers The Frank Caliendo Show for anything other than the commercials during baseball. This year, we're going to be seeing a lot of King of the Nerds.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hate how every single Apple product commercial is the exact same thing: a white background showing what the iPhone, iPad, or other product can do. Compare them to the commercial for the Google tablet, which shows far more imagination than the "buy our product because it can do this cool thing!" premise of Apple commercials.

I guess they don't need to put much into advertising because of the built-in audience.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

doritos posted:

Isn't that exactly what a good ad is?

I don't care how much money you spent on getting some media studies students to make a 30 second art film. If you want me to buy your product you better tell me what I'm supposed to get out of it.
Commercials for the Google Nexus tablet do that as well, and they manage to have a lot more imagination put into them than just "watch what our product can do in front of a boring white background."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBvrjfbOHy0

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

squarerandom posted:

One bought the rights to cowboys.com I was expecting the homepage to the Dallas Cowboys, not A dating site.
Isn't that a gay dating site? Imagine how pissed off that makes Jerry Jones.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why did they bring back the old freecreditscore.com band?

Why?

WHY?
They should have no freecreditscore.com bands.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

docputer posted:

http://youtu.be/BgSvb_3Yt3E

Sandra Lee of Food Network talking about the Renewal by Anderson Windows is her best decision ever.
Not signing a contract with FN to get sloshed while frosting twinkies?
Or shacking up with the governor of New York and (God forbid) possible presidential candidate.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If they could play this in New York instead of the incessant 666-6666 car service commercials I would be very happy. Unfortunately, it's dated a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti7cfnaRTdQ

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The latest Sprint commercial about their unlimited data plans made me realize something: Sprint makes a better iPhone commercial than Apple does. Apple and Ford are the death of creative advertising (Ford for their lazy F-150 commercials, Apple for every single commercial they make).

Also, have we reached a point where you can't make music without including the voice-mutilating technology known as autotune? If the latest Five-Hour Energy commercial is any indication, we have.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The new Discover commercials aren't bad, but they don't have Peggy in them and that makes me sad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Parasol Prophet posted:

I am disheartened that that "Happier than Eddie Money running a travel agency" Geico commercial is still on. It's not so much the song (although I hate that song), it's the two people persistently trying to remind him of what they really wanted, as if they don't recognize that he's singing a song.

:v: I've got, two tickets to pawadise, pack your bags, we'll leave tonight--
:geno: Um, actually it's next month.
:v: --Two tickets to pawadiiiise!
:geno: No, four.

Either he's joking with you or he's too far gone and has no idea where he is! All five of you shut up and go away!
Oh my God, I loathe that commercial. They actually stopped showing it for a time but brought it back last week. When I hear "Are we all set?" I rush for the remote to press the Mute button.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Who else got an ad for Scientology during the Super Bowl? I'm in the New York market, and I can confirm that Michigan didn't get it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

New Lexus holiday ads feature an obviously bored out of their minds bonkers rich hot white couple with nothing better to do around the holidays than make car-sized bows for their 3 brand spanking new Lexuses.

Get a loving dog or something. God drat.
EPG made a great front page article about Lexus commercials two years ago, which were even worse than the ones we have now. They operated under the assumption that everyone knows the "Lexus December to Remember" jingle.

Speaking of holiday car commercials, what the gently caress, Honda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mgkcXs7_M

Michael Bolton? Is the CEO one of ten people alive who like his music or something?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

What is the song that plays on the commercials for Grudge Match? Because I'm hearing it play on no less than three other commercials in circulation right now, and it also played on commercials for R.I.P.D. There are definitely worse songs to oversaturate on TV and radio, but enough is enough.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

It's the lovely Macklemore song that isn't the lovely Macklemore song about the thrift shop.
I take back what I said about there being worse songs to be oversaturated by.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just saw a new trailer for The Hobbit. The narrator finally pronounces "Smaug" like a normal person who isn't having a stroke mid-word.
The best part of the second Hobbit movie is hearing sports announcers and other sports personalities try to pronounce it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vicas posted:

To be fair, USA loves that poo poo, almost as much as they love white protagonists in major American cities doing one particular job that somehow always turns into crime/mystery solving
USA: (White) characters welcome.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Kay Jewelers is running this creepy Open Hearts commercial again this yaer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-vGUxyrthA

Every kiss begins with Kay. And sick ends with Kay, too.
I hate the message that the commercial with the man on the swingset with the child sends. It's basically saying, "Not even kids are immune from shiny jewelry."

Also the jewelry stores make 1 or 2 new commercials a year for the Christmas season and just recycle the rest of the ones that aired in previous years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I keep hearing that Alec Blocc "The Man" song on every commercial, and whenever I hear it I can't help singing it in an Early Cuyler voice.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

gently caress that AT&T commercial with that one guy. "What's the catch?"

"There is no catch."

"Ok, I'm getting nowhere with you.... I want to speak to your supervisor."

(same drat girl) "I'm the supervisor"

"Finally, someone I can talk to."

gently caress! YOU!
I hate that commercial because this is the dialogue-

Guy: *asks a question*
Woman: *answers the question so as to repeat what was just said*
*Repeat multiple times until commercial ends or you go unconscious from watching this commercial for the 1000th time today*

Yes, I know that repeating the point works when it comes to advertising, but it's also lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC6AzmXrNbU

My sister visited last month and mentioned this commercial that she found to be hilarious. Before she mentioned it, I had not noticed it at all. But since hearing about it, nary a commercial break goes by without this being aired. There are actually two versions of this- one where the Russian-sounding couple at the end clink their glasses together, and one where they don't. It's got that low-budget local commercial charm, but I'd appreciate it if they played it a little bit less.

Also, notice that the video title says it's a "NEW" commercial. It was uploaded five years ago. A search for "Grand Prospect Hall commercial" on YouTube brings up one from 1986, so New York area viewers will be seeing this on their TVs for a long time yet.