Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yv-k8DHDSc

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They're shown a picture of a chicken and a picture of a dog turd, and they have to identify the chicken.

They get two guesses.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

Similarly, there's a commercial for...I dunno, something, where a guy's interviewing a lady, and he asks "Why should I hire you?" or something similar. And the woman replies "Well, I'm your wife" but I swear it sounds like she says "Well, I'm white!"

Did a double take first time I saw that one.

There's a local commercial for some company (insurance?) that's called Conklin Feinmann, and it has a guy telling a group of potential employees "Do you think you have what it takes to sell Conklin Feinmann?" I keep hearing it as "conflict diamonds."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Lea Michele is not a bad singer at all. I don't really get what's wrong with her rendition of the song besides the ad being played 9-10 times an hour.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Goodfellas + Kill Bill + unable to get suitable Kill Bill like music so lets go cheapo Bollywood track its in the same part of the world gently caress it = poo poo by the numbers marketing box ticker.

Yeah, Wes Anderson is only using Bollywood because he couldn't get the Kill Bill music.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Professor X posted:

"If that car is electric, why are you at a gas station?" :haw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDyZu6zOC6Y

I don't even get how this is supposed to sell the car or what positive associations it's meant to be evoking.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Stairs posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfPDrN-rHAg
This Abilify commercial really bothers me because the "depression" is just loving adorable. I actually feel bad for the little gray cloud as it gets smaller and smaller. He just wants to be your friend you sad bitch!

Well, he does stick around at the end and still gets to follow them. They've domesticated him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

I have so many questions about your av but I don't know where to begin :stare:

Just consider yourself very, very lucky.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

aquatic sideshow posted:

Man I wish that a commercial could tell me how to make a Disoronno on the rocks and cranberry. I can't figure that poo poo out on my own.

Disaronno seems to be setting out to be the :smug: liqueur of choice. The point of this ad is "Our stuff is so drat good it's all you need!", delivered in the most condescending way possible.

I have yet to encounter anyone drinking it in the wild. (Granted I don't randomly ask strangers what they're drinking, but you figure you'd at least hear the name in a bar or two.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
In other news, Wal-Mart is advertising the return of layaway.

Which is the most predatory thing ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The best part of the Axe article (and someone points this out in the comments) is that these guys did research over a period of years, went to bars, divided people into 6 categories, did all the research, etc.

The result? "Let's put chicks in bikinis and have them leap on guys who use our spray."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I hate the ad with the Angry Birds creator talking for a solid minute about a website. It takes forever and I don't care if your lovely flash game for housewives made money.

Moustache is funny.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The thing with the McRib is, it's not economical to have on the menu full time, but it does well if they bring it out for a limited time.

It's not that good, it's nothing like actual BBQ, but... I don't dislike it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MoonTuna posted:

Your McRib sandwich is probably not good for your heart. It has 980 mg of sodium and 10 grams of saturated fat. But then we already knew that it wasn’t exactly health food.

According to Time’s healthland blog, that’s not all it has: The sandwich contains 70 other ingredients. And some of those ingredients, such as azodicarbonamide, ammonium sulfate and polysorbate 80 are kinda gross.

May also contain pork stomachs, pork snouts, pork intestines, and pork grisl. It is like a twinkie in the sense of how much chemicals but made into a meat mixture. TASTY.

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2011/11/01/mcrib-sandwiches-contain-same-ingredient-as-yoga-mats-shoe-soles/

I don't think anyone was arguing for the McRib being anything like actual meat.

(Somehow, this stuff never disgusts me. I know how sausage is made.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Hey, now. Hot dogs are delicious, and scrapple is one of the best things about living in Pennsylvania.

Also inspired this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HazgL0SLQzg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Can I just say gently caress Curtis Stone?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Droid Razr ads aren't that bad, per se, but... it is a smartphone.

It's like they're trying to out-pretentious Apple.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This isn't a specific ad, but it's weird how often Mark Mothersbaugh's music for Royal Tenenbaums has shown up in commercials.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the ads for places like that all tout the advantage of getting a large lump sum, but of course you get less in total.

Which is fine if you've won the lottery or something, but if you're actually owed payment as part of a settlement it may not be the best idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Nerdfest X posted:

I'm the same way. They portray the ad as if the Lexus jingle is as recognizable as the theme from the Olympics, James Bond, or the 1st few bars of Beethoven's 5th symphony. "Hey, I know that song!"

Before they had the spot running twice every commercial break on every single station there is, it wasn't.

Even now I don't know what it is. Reading that article, I kept trying to picture it, and basically I ping pong back and forth between "Always Coca-Cola" and the Fox Sports theme.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

When I was watching that, all I could see was this...

It's probably for the best that the video doesn't allow comments or I would be spamming them with quotes.

"You'll forgive me if I don't stay and watch. I just can't cope with the freaky stuff."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Also lots younger and possibly not even black. Looks Latina to me in skin tone and her mouth, chin, cheeks.

Also, better stop the trash-talk of Aubrey Plaza ITT or I'm going to let slip the dogs of the P&R thread.

Objectively it is not the best add, but Plaza helps the material quite a bit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

Remember, Hersheys is padding their chocolates with air bubbles because of steps being taken to rid Ivory Coast of child slaves a sudden spike in the value of chocolate

It's been done in UK chocolates for a while. It can actually taste nice but you are getting less for your money.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
My mind just boggles at what must be the expense of the Kia ads. The hamster thing was costly and just kind of random and stupid to start with, and now it's just degenerated into random dream imagery.

How is this selling cars? Is it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SpazmasterX posted:

I'M MEXICAN AND I'M TALKING ABOUT THIS PLACE WITH MEXICAN FOOD THAT'S WHY I USE WORDS LIKE "FAMILIA" AND "NOVELLA" BECAUSE I'M MEXICAN AND OTHER MEXICANS SHOULD EAT HERE TOO

I realize the legitimacy of using a spokesperson of the ethnicity you're targeting, but goddamn if it doesn't rub me the wrong way. It's like if KFC or Popeye's only targeted black people instead of realizing that everyone and their mum loves good fried chicken and assorted sides with biscuits.

I remember Popeye's had an ad a while back with a bunch of people eating chicken in a dance club (for some reason), and at one point they re-edited it to splice in more white faces just so it wouldn't come off wrong.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Forget solvency. The USPS should be funded as a public utility and screw having to make a profit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

Oh god, I'm seeing these just about every commercial break watching 30 Rock/Parks and Rec and it's the most annoying thing I've seen in a long time. Who loving thought having a bunch of middle-aged women screaming at the top of their lungs for a solid 30 seconds was a good idea for an ad?

The point is, it gets your attention. Advertisers have abandoned any pretense of being pleasant or watchable and are now just mounting a full assault on our senses.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This was an interesting article on Slate recently, regarding bad times for the ad firm that brought back the King mascot for Burger King (which, I must say, in and of itself was funny at times) and was at the head of a lot of annoying trends in modern ads, including the aggressive "bro"ness that we now see in that Dr. Pepper 10 bullshit.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/branded/2012/01/crispin_porter_bogusky_how_the_hot_ad_agency_fell_from_grace_.html

I'm not sure how "right" the author is in his analysis, but at least there are some interesting ideas here.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Quibids reads like it'd work a lot better as a scam if it weren't so insanely complicated.

"Hey, you can get high end products for a fraction of the retail price!"
"Sounds great! How does it work?"
"Well, you can bid in penny amounts, but to do that you have to purchase bids at .60 each-"
"Wait, I pay to bid-"
"Every time! You get a voucher of 100 for $60, and when those run out you have to buy more, but sometimes we put the vouchers up for bid-"
"Wait, so then I bid to buy bids."
"Yes! Also, we hold all the items we list, and sometimes we don't have them, so if we run out you'll be refunded unless you were a low bidder-"
"gently caress this I'm going to that weird guy on the sidewalk."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Category Fun! posted:

Yes, and they're hilarious.

Heh, this was a joke on an old Doctor Who episode ("Remembrance of the Daleks"). The Doctor and Ace see a van with some weird looking aerials on it, the Doctor says "What do you suppose that is?" and Ace says "I dunno, TV detector van?" (They're in 1963.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

Not sure about the States, but in Canada they changed the name of their stores to The Source.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So, MiO furries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCV4xUz9Ke8

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I like their subs better than Subway's, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I do legitimately really like the new Nokia smartphone ad where Chris Parnell goes around telling everyone they've participated in a beta test with all their various crappy phones. It's clever and he's funny.

On the other side, there's an ad I can't find on Youtube for the local Worlds of Fun theme park, which is a family sitting around the table communicating in screams. Fun.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Kruller posted:

Hi5 Kansas City buddy. Worlds of Fun has never had good commercials. Also gently caress them for removing the Orient Express. I don't care how many people could have died on it, that poo poo was fun.

I thought it was the Timber Wolf that killed somebody.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I mean it makes sense- Coca-Cola doesn't want the brand explicilty tied to alcohol, even if "Jack and Coke" is what everyone says, not "Jack and cola".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Industrial posted:

The Zooey Deschanel commercial bothers me as well. What is supposed to be appealing exactly about an adult who acts like a 4 year old girl/is confused by life?

Okay, have literally none of you ever spent a lazy day at home? You get days off, don't you?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There's a limit to how many days you can spend at home lazing around before you start to get a little :shepface:. Going stir-crazy is a real thing.

Oh, I know, but in the commercial itself it's nothing too outrageous or even insanely quirky. Unless the standards for excessive quirk have changed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Not everyone is as enlightened as us goons, the majority of people I know outside of work these days aren't as infantile as what's displayed in that commercial, but they're pretty close.

Is how people act on their goof-off days now the way to judge their character? I dunno, the anger at the commercial seems way disproportionate to anything she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

The Verizon ad with the mother and daughter trying to speak while crying is beyond awful, but it reminds me of the backwards-talking dwarf from Twin Peaks, so I guess it gets a pass by association.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that probably was cute on paper, but after several viewings, the rage starts to build.