Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

osukeith161 posted:

Mercedes panders to the don't-have-to-give-a-poo poo demographic who think that they are better than everyone else.

This demographic is way too big to all be able to afford a Mercedes.

Plenty of that group is still driving a 1988 Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grandpa Pap posted:

Vikings are supposed to be mighty Nordic :black101:, navigating rough seas in their longboats as part of their neverending drive to conquer, and holding gargantuan victory feasts where they consume enormous amounts of alcohol.

They are NOT supposed to be goofy English-accented fuckers running around having wacky adventures while hawking Capital One credit cards. <:mad:>

They're not Vikings. They're Visigoths.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I am still infuriated when ever I see a ad for a pickup truck. They still maintain the fiction that these are real trucks for real men with real jobs and show them towing giant stone blocks, or carrying the engine for a battleship.

I remember hearing once that something like 35-40% of all pickups built go into fleet service. Enough that it makes white the most common color for pickups, but regular people rarely buy white trucks.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

The majority of Pickups are not bought by ranchers who need to manually plant fence posts.

Sales information and demographic studies of truck ownership say you are completely wrong.

The average pickup is going to be purchased for an industrial owner or a middle class buyer rural in the Rockies as a second household vehicle

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 19, 2011

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Taco Bell doesn't deliver because the average Taco Bell employee is also stoned and can't drive.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

There can't be a single person in that commercial besides C. Everett Koop who's still alive.

And I'm kinda surprised he is still alive.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Instead of arguing about irony, I'm going to be angry at the White Strips commercial. A two hour drive is not a road trip. Its a two hour drive.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Young Freud posted:

Okay, that's what I call "missing the point" of having an internet refrigerator. There's an IBM ad from the '90s or so that had a repairman showing up at someone's door to fix the refrigerator, but the homeowner didn't call a repairman. The repairman replies the refrigerator did. The refrigerator was able to do it's own maintenance checklist, recognize it had a problem, and called for service (I assume it and the repairman are part of its warranty), before the owner knew there was a problem.

Another was maintaining groceries. With RFID tags, the refrigerator would be able to deliver an inventory of items in the fridge and what is nearing or past its expiration date to be thrown out.

This. I don't know. It seems superfluous, especially with mobile device and the like. I was reading on the first entry of this type on the market, the LG internet fridge, and the rationale was that it's an appliance that's on 24 hours a day, so it could be possible to do more than just receive e-mail. The problem I see it is that it's probably better to have a central wireless-networked centerpiece and have these apps modular and be slaves to that, going off how smart homes are maintained, instead of having each appliance have its own thing.

That said, the fridge is pretty nice, even though that networking features adds a few hundred dollars to it. I like that they've switched to LEDs for interior lighting.

I remember that commercial. It was one of those things that was like "This is how close we are to finally having the 1950s HOUSE OF TOMORROW TO-DAY." They also ran a commercial that showed a guy going through a store just shoving stuff in an overcoat like he was stealing and then when he tries to leave, someone stops him, but it was because he forgot his receipt. Everything was tagged and when he went to leave the store, it computed the total bill and presumably deducted it from a chip in one of his cards in his wallet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Conduit for Sale! posted:

It also makes it painfully obvious who Virgin Mobile is losing their market share to.

They're just jealous that the government flat out said if you're not Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile, you're not even a player in the cellular phone business.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Sprint owns Virgin Mobile USA.

Well now they seem really obnoxiouser for some reason!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

borealis posted:

This actually was a real nickname for Detroit before it turned into a hellhole. :eng101:

They keep trying to brand Pittsburgh as the Paris of Appalachia. Who knew Paris was the gold standard of cities.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sanschel posted:

Equally what the gently caress, but for a different reason, they actually made a commercial featuring Randall and the crazy nastyass honey badger. What is going on, television.

Isn't it for pistachios? Whoever is pitching pistachios on the TV has been doing really weird commercials for a few years now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

I know someone who literally would not eat Wendy's because it was square. They genuinely had a problem with this. Which can only mean they think ground beef has an actual shape.

Having seen a cow become transformed into, ultimately, a hamburger, I consider myself an expert on ground beef. If I had to give ground beef a shape, I'd say Play-Doh. Is Play-Doh a shape?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

better than Dane Cook's shouting during the 2007 MLB Postseason, though.

Without Dane Cook, how will I know how many Octobers occur per calendar year.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Industrial posted:

Did he really expect his dog to tell him that? Why is he surprised that his dog doesn't know more about the internet than him?

Maybe his dog is related to the Bush's Baked Beans dog.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grandpa Pap posted:

If, on the other hand, I should ask her out to Chili's and she responds in a deep voice that sounds eerily like that of the late bluesman--complete with music in the background--there would suddenly be several pressing engagements I would just happen to remember at that moment.

I'd ask her how she's doing it and if she can do more songs because we might have a hit on a reality singing show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They are, but it doesn't excuse our acting like entitled dicks.

Yes it does. We can eat anything we want because we're rich as hell. I'm going to live it up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I'm old enough to remember VW's "Fahrvergnügen," which a lot of people thought was phony European bullshit but isn't.

One of my friends refuses to believe me that Tiburon is not a made up car name.

Its shark in Spanish! You can look it up in the dictionary!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

But are there really that many people with structured settlements out there for this business model to work?!

There's all sorts of people that are laid off from work with injuries they may or may not have actually received and are getting money from somewhere.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Amorphous Blob posted:

There has to be a better way!

I demand to see what horrible disaster occurs in black and white world when someone attempts to cover themselves with a blanket.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

I mentioned Christmas ads that have run forever (Hershey's bells, Liz Taylor White Diamonds, etc.) in my last post. I was reminded today of another one which is on a more local level, is equally recycled, and is one of the creepiest commercials I can remember seeing.

Speaking of local and old and christmas, this not a bad commercial. In fact I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3NhDtfZmd0

Its been running literally my entire life. It turns 30 next year. Local or national, that's gotta be pushing some sort of record for longest run of a commercial.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

BC Clark jewelers in Oklahoma City has been running this jingle since 1956: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJBB65r-9o

That art has to be pushing 40 too. Geez.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vicas posted:

Dude flannel is way in

I was totally thrilled when I noticed this.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SpazmasterX posted:

I seriously despise these new Chase commercials where they act like they aren't the greediest motherfuckers that ever hosed mothers. Oh boy, you can get 5%(!) back on your purchases up to $1500! That's !!!$75!!! :aaaaa:

gently caress banks forever.

5% back is actually a lot more than everyone else does too.

I once had a job that required me to do research on that matter. 780 different credit cards. I may be the foremost expert on the subject on the planet :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SteveVizsla posted:

I don't really understand this one. How do you go about copyrighting a giant mural in an urban area, to the extent that no one is allowed to photograph or record video of it without permission or compensation?

Its protected like any other work visible from a public space. FedEx would be pissed if you filmed a commercial for something that wasn't FedEx outside a FedEx Office and it was in your commercial.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's a line to be drawn somewhere, though. An architect couldn't copyright a skyscraper and demand a cut of all photos of a city.

That's the line actually. Architecture is not protected in those circumstances, in the United States.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Anyone seen this perfume ad with Charlize Theron? The long version's here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/dior-jadore-charlize-theron-ad_n_950364.html The digital Marilyn Monroe creation is creepy as poo poo when it starts talking, looks like someone is wearing her face as a latex mask.

I'm more annoyed that they're putting Charlize Theron in the same class as Grace Kelly and Marlene Dietrich.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Floofykins posted:

This is the story of Dragon. It takes an entire commercial break to tell.

Much like the rambling old guy's story!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nerdfest X posted:

I hate all these commercials that imply that just because you are now saving what? $10-$15 on your cell phone bill, you can now buy a Rolls or the Crown Jewels. "I saved ten bucks, so that puts me in the Bill Gates wealth zone". Just stop, already.

I hate those commercials too, but that's not even what they actually say in those commercials.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm more annoyed that GPS turned into a term for a navigation device.

Its not one. All GPS does is triangulate your position with satellites! It doesn't give you driving directions!
:goonsay:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AA is for Quitters posted:

In terms of ads you hate: I remember seeing some interview (i think it was on Today or maybe my local fox affilate...i alternate between the two in the morning) about those new Catholics Come Home ads, and the ad rep said the average person would see the ad maybe 8 times since they started running.

I've seen that ad at least 3 times that. WTF?

Apparently you've got mine, because I've seen zero.

I demand compensation for these eight commercials you've taken :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

Uh, UMUC is not a for-profit diploma mill, it's on the same campus as College Park and is geared more toward older students who take evening / online classes.

Yeah as ridiculous as its name sounds, its a real school. In the same system as UMD, Towson, and Baltimore.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Red Tails commercials on most channels and Red Tails commercials on the Historical Things Exploding featuring Hitler and/or Saddam channels are clearly promoting two different movies.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If its $260 value then when is the MSRP only $100?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I wish Chappelle's Show was still around to mock these Edward Jones commercials that play during NHL games. Just 30 seconds of entitled white people problems.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

NHL games. white people.

Sounds like they're very well made commercials to me. Nailing their audience.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ever wish you had sonic hearing?

When they first started running that commercial years ago, I'd always quip "Yeah I just have this useless thermal hearing."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I liked the Seinfeld car commercial.

Because a funny stand-up comedian works really hard to get something, then Jay Leno swoops in and takes it away.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Is that not a thing that happens on British broadcasts of sporting events? Companies sponsor every-loving-thing. In this case, it was the blimp that was providing those shots.

Combos are the official cheese filled snack food of NASCAR!

Which actually seems like anti-advertising to me, because now I'm curious what their direct competitor is in the "little pretzels with some cheese inside" market.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Take your pick.

That list sure is dominated by Combos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

jojoinnit posted:

But when it comes to jewelery "only $99" is probably a good price. I mean I get pissed off at the Kindle ads where they try to imply that it's a bargain item because people usually spend twice that on sunglasses, apparently, but jewelery is the one item that can and does demand that much money to get something decent.

No kidding.

I once wanted to get a friend (A FRIEND!) something nice because she was getting her wings as a naval aviator like a week before Christmas. She'd been talking about how she didn't have any nice jewelry, so I thought I'd get her something. I don't really recall what I got her. Some sort of gold necklace. Pretty sure I cracked $200 on it. It was close to half of all the money I spent that year on gifts.