Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Medication ads warning of side effects worse than the condition they're treating are my favorite thing.

I like the ones with crazy out of left field side-effects that you'd never even consider as a possibility. On one hand, migraine treatment might kill you has a weird logic because if it is playing with blood pressure, then...ok I can follow that.

Cipro giving you a slight chance of rupturing your Achilles Tendon? Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you go to US Postal Museum in DC, there's a small exhibit about good old Bob. In the mail fraud section.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

My vague recollection is that this is because anything that happens to the test group while they're on the drug has to be listed as a possible side effect unless they're in a car accident or something, but that's probably wrong.

I do believe that is true.

That said, there's a category of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones. Cipro is the most common and widely used one. For unclear, but rare, reasons, they have a negative effect on the cell type that make up tendons. It seems to also affect the Achilles more than other tendons. They've been investigating it for almost 40 years and still haven't cracked the case.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Travolta as Disco Santa is a fun gag, but a perplexing commercial

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I saw one tonight during My Lottery Dream Home

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They don't even poo poo in the woods any more

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like the Pepsi commercial that only uses about 15 percent Get Low's lyrics

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

fartknocker posted:

They may not use the "skeet skeet god drat" part, but that's what I'll be thinking of

When I saw it, I immediately texted my brother what I saw and his reply was only "skeet skeet motherfucker"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

stealie72 posted:

Remember when there were ads for poo poo like margarine and cereal that you could go down to the store and buy and not solely for things that require a multi-year commitment and/or a doctor's visit?

That's because Cutler didn't stop until the agency was Harry and the computer

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

fartknocker posted:

I had the TV on as background noise on NHL Network, not paying attention to the commercials, when I heard a familiar voice and went “huh…” and looked up. It was Billy Mays for Mighty Putty.

Reminder: Billy Mays died in 2009.

I suspect poltergeist

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

stealie72 posted:

Edit: actually, that's not true. The more recent one when they're at the dumpster and the one sap has crown molding scraps because "you never know when you'll need them" and the therapist guy says "I do, and it's never." Dead on. Otherwise, yeah, they're getting more obscure and lame.

Everyone knows that damage only occurs after you've disposed of the material you need to repair said damage.

He's just spreading lies.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I have multiple pieces of 2x6 scrap less than a foot long left over from some deck repair just sitting in the garage taking up space. My wife insists that we keep them. I have been slowly disposing of them by putting one out with the trash every other week. So far she hasn’t noticed. Because it’s scrap. That we won’t need. Or use. Ever.

You have doomed yourself to need a bunch of 2x6 scraps

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Original Jake was a funny gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

stealie72 posted:

Think there's an LLM program that just spits out random drug names?

They all have names that remind me of the late 90s corporate boom when everything was being named nonsense words like Verizon and Accenture.

In the US, the generic names are the work of exactly two people. There's a lot of things they work into them, like the chemical structure, the purpose of the drug, and avoidance of letters that don't exist outside of English. Like there's no J in Italian, so no Js.

The brand name can't say what it does, can't say what it treats, can't refer to the generic, and has to sound distinct. That lends itself to gibberish sounding names.

Although sometimes they'll let one past that does say those things. The varicella vaccine is Varivax.