Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
HH Greg is opening some stores around here for the first time ever. They have this ad playing almost non-stop with a lovely cover of Help! and I think I hate this chain already even though their stores technically aren't even open yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Eh, there are plenty of awful "my husband is an incompetent and dangerous child and needs me to save him from himself" ads too. Marketing and progressive attitudes toward gender don't really go together.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'm not excusing either of them, I'm just not surprised any more that companies go that route.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If one of those Mercedes shitheads crashed into Pomplamoose that would be cool, though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Miracle posted:

Of course they knew - everyone is talking about it. Campaign succesful.

I don't buy Dr Pepper and don't plan on changing that anytime soon so no, it's not.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Miller High Life would like a word.

If any of you are ever within driving distance of Milwaukee you NEED to go on the Miller brewery tour. Their company history films about Miller Time and The High Life are hilarious. And you can get wasted for free afterwards, even if it's not exactly the best beer.

Everyone also laughed like mad when the tour guide tried to tell us with a straight face about the success of Milwaukee's Best as a "lower price" beer.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

eggsovereasy posted:

I kind of want to punch this kid:

I also want to punch the Best Buy girl who wants to sell tablet computers and Nintendo DSs and god knows what else to everyone going on vacation. Here's a thought, when you go camping or to the beach or someplace without electronics, you could, you know, do fun poo poo that doesn't require loving electronics. Why the gently caress would you camp out in the woods and then watch a movie on a 6-inch screen?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

Also can anyone confirm or deny the supposed law we hear about in radio ads for work-from-home places where they say things like "I made more money than I'm allowed to mention here!"

I can't imagine it's for any other reason than avoiding a "results not typical" disclaimer

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Mo0 posted:

I mean, I hear a mattress store say things like "DISCOUNTS SO DEEP WE CAN'T ADVERTISE THEM!!!", so it can't be... true... can it?

There's no law against any of that but some companies forbid retailers from advertising prices below a certain level, under penalty of getting their sales agreement yanked. So if Mattress Riot wants to keep selling Serta or whatever, they'll play along.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Crowetron posted:

How and why does Jamster still exist?

Because people idiots sign up for it and never bother to cancel?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

But wait, "Well Tabs are the only product available with Positive Mood Technology!"

Bullshit. What about Arby's, huh, snake oil company?!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Hooray for lovely, unnecessary prequels. Let me know when Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want To Get Off is on Broadway.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Dyson vacuums are the poo poo and I rolled my eyes at that dude's commercials too until I actually bought one. It was light years better than the cheapo one I had since college.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Dunkin Donuts just had an IPO to help fund a nationwide expansion, they might be coming sooner than you think.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That's the worst one, ugh.

I actually kind of liked it after a local radio host briefly made the "wee wee weeeeeeeeeeee" and "Thanks, Mrs. A" into a catchphrase. But only in that context, I hated seeing it on TV.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

raditts posted:

Probably not especially, but the horrible singing woman my wife informed me is from Glee, the obnoxious British guy is lovely unfunny actor Russell Brand, and the adorable Filipino man is MMA fighter Manny Pacquiao.

I'd buy their products and encourage others to do the same if the commercial was Pacman beating the crap out of the other two idiots.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The diaper one is gross but I still laugh at "your son Rip is on line toot"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

raditts posted:

After everything in the last few years I can't understand how anyone would trust oil companies to do the right thing by default.

They gave out a motherfucking coloring book to children about how fracking is perfectly safe and great for everyone until a congressman and Stephen Colbert shamed them into pulling it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Easy money, probably? A ton of celebrities do uncredited VOs for random products.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Rirse posted:

Hate the Direct TV ad with the washed up football player dressed as a fairy flying around telling people to get Direct TV over cable because they supposedly can receive a single game of football.

:fuckoff: Navi

DirecTV completely failed to ride the wave of the Russian guy with the tiny giraffe. Not enough of him and everything since then has sucked.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Have you seen that commercial for a site you can sell your gadgets to that will re-sell or recycle them? They talk about how it's the responsible thing to do. The real responsible thing would be to not cultivate such a tech fetish that you need to buy a new tablet or camera or whatever every year.

Don't those companies just send the hardware to third world countries where kids get paid pennies a day to smash them and salvage some of the plastic/metal on the inside? And it's still dangerous and toxic?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'd love to see that commercial. Or one that pointed that out and then finished with "...So gently caress the earth! Buy our SUV!"

One of my favorite Reno 911 bits was when they got the Hummer for the department, and the one guy says "the way I see it, if we use up all the oil, we win, because then there's nothing they can hold over our heads anymore."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Rirse posted:

I hate the ad from Blockbuster bragging about having lower rates then Netflix. Yeah, you shouldn't be bragging after Netflix cost you all your retail stores.

:fuckoff: Blockbuster

Why is this so terrible? "We're cheaper than the other guy" is one of the oldest, simplest forms of advertising. Should Blockbuster not try to turn their company around by going after the millions of people who just quit Netflix?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

100 Years in Iraq posted:

The new DVD service, Quikster is going to start carrying games, yes. Which is good because Gamefly went to poo poo a long time ago.

They'll be able to compete with Gamefly on turnaround time since they will have a ton more shipping centers but I doubt they can do anything about new release availability. It's just not profitable to keep super large stocks of games because they have a completely different price/demand curve than movies.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Sash! posted:

Isn't it for pistachios? Whoever is pitching pistachios on the TV has been doing really weird commercials for a few years now.

Yeah, it's the same company that has ads with Ochocinco, Snooki, Keyboard Cat, that kind of stuff.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

ahahahahahaha the USPS is running ads trying to tell businesses to send out paper invoices and statements with reasoning like "a computer virus never attacks paper on a corkboard".

I saw that, it's like they brought a FW FW FW from your grandmother to life.

How about instead they run an ad campaign telling everyone what a piece of poo poo Darrell Issa is for blocking HR 1351.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

If the Super Bowl is the place for the best commercials, then the MLB Postseason is the worst. I suppose that having some generic pop group singing a song a million times a game (I hope someone else gets the reference I'm making) is better than Dane Cook's shouting during the 2007 MLB Postseason, though.

The NCAA Basketball tournament also suffers from the same problem. A poo poo ton of commercial breaks, an extremely low number of ads and advertisers, and you want to put a brick through your TV after one round of games.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

J33uk posted:

It's EA marketing, they don't do subtle. See for reference: "Above and Beyond the Call"

I thought it was just "the last Call of Duty had an Eminem song, we need a rap song for our commercial."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Grimace posted:

If Hollywood wants to blame anyone for their lovely profits, they only have themselves to blame. I've barely been in a theater in the past 5 years because every movie coming out is absolutely terrible.

"lovely profits" indeed. Box office sales are down because movies/snacks are expensive and everyone has a big-rear end TV now, but DVD sales have got to be dwarfing the VHS generation.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

aquatic sideshow posted:

I think you pour Disaronno into a glass.... Then toss the glass up in to the air, spilling it everywhere. Catch the class in midair, then grind it slowly into your eyesocket with increasing pressure until you die from brain trauma.

That's the idea I get from the commercials.

did they at least fix it so the guy spins the bottle top the right way? In their last commercial the guy was actually spinning the lid shut

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If you want white bread look up any commercial Sidney Crosby has done in Canada, including one actually for bread.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Teek posted:

If watching No Reservations has taught me anything, it's that Americans (in general) are really self-entitled and picky when it comes to eating meat.

There's some truth to this but at the same time Anthony Bourdain just has a thing for offal.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It's officially Christmas season, tonight I saw the Pennsylvania lottery Christmas commercial that is almost as old as I am.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ryokurin posted:

That commercial, the Folders commercial with the guy waking up the family with coffee that's ran since the 80s, the Corona 'Christmas palm tree' of similar vintage and Barney stealing Fruity Pebbles commercials of 1987 will run forever. They are like the modern day yule log footage.

Does Budweiser still use the Clydesdales hauling a Christmas tree one? I know they at least updated it not that long ago so that it was George Clooney doing the voiceover.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Floofykins posted:

Were the Christmas commercials this obnoxious last year? You got Santa taking Aleve for his chronic back pain, Merry Pringles, and that drat autotuned Kmart song with lyrics about layaway.

I haven't heard Pimplemoose yet so this year is automatically better so far.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I actually rather enjoyed the paper towel commercial where the kid sprays the soda and then the mom sprays him with the sink hose.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Bili Rubin posted:

Just saw a commercial for True Blood DVDs. Why would you have a commercial for your DVDs in which you spoil a bunch of the show? I know I'm behind the times but gently caress you, HBO, I just started watching.

One of the 24 DVDs had a major plot spoiler in a loving menu screen.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There's a lot to dislike about Denis Leary but he's absolutely not a republican.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Sash! posted:

Its protected like any other work visible from a public space. FedEx would be pissed if you filmed a commercial for something that wasn't FedEx outside a FedEx Office and it was in your commercial.

There's a line to be drawn somewhere, though. An architect couldn't copyright a skyscraper and demand a cut of all photos of a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Does anyone else have an issue with the term "super new" when applied to a new episode of a show? They say that poo poo on E and Bravo (I know, :gay:) all the loving time and it's super grating.

Eh, I'm kinda willing to give that a pass in this era of "catch a new episode tonight at 9! and then it repeats at 10! and at 1! and seven more times this week!"