Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ahahaha, I have to know the context behind that "nailing a window" gif. There's got to be a better way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, ignore the whole "hammering a window" thing and watch the nail. Not only does the person pull the nail away before they hammer, the nail stretches as they do so. Where is the extra nail coming from, what is happening in any aspect here.

I think the nail isn't being pulled away at first but pivoted sideways while still set against the window, which in combination with the sudden jerking motion afterwards is causing a perspective illusion of it appearing to be stretched.

Also my dad used to have that exact same type of hammer with the brown banded handle, good thing we never tried driving nails through glass!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I swear I've seen this in a Steven Segal movie before.

Also I wish I could find this commercial I saw last week about some kind of velcro belt thing for people who just can't figure out how loving pockets work, it was utterly ludicrous but at the same time I couldn't help but think "HAH! Star Trek was right!!!"

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 17, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beastie posted:

For those of you who haven't seen this amazing collection of laziness:

https://twitter.com/brandssayingbae?lang=en

That term lived and died and I barely noticed it even existed. We're entering the singularity.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

No, you're just getting old

NO SHUT UP

*posted from Netscape-themed Mozilla*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The idea is that you laugh at the commercial, which makes a positive association in your brain with the product, then the next time you see one, your brain goes "Hey, I like that product, I'll buy one!" and you never put 2 and 2 together as to the reason.

It works amazingly well, and anyone who claims "Oh, ads don't affect me" is full of bullshit.

Yeah we're all aware of the theory, nobody saw the Snickers commercial with the football player who thought he was Batman and went "hurk is this supposed to make me think Snickers causes brain damage??" These don't work because they're loving retarded.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

What are they trying to sell there?

A cheating service, it seems.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrSlam posted:

All this Bands Saying Bae stuff makes me angry, but I'm not looking forward to the day where I'm so out of touch with today's youth that it's completely incomprehensible. That day is coming soon. It's harder and harder to keep up with it. Essentially:

I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was and now what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you!

For a whole other level of :bahgawd:, check out some of Brands Saying Bae's recent posts about corporate twatters "mourning" the death of Prince.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love this commercial so much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't NYC or some other big city say recently that pickpocketing had become virtually nonexistent?

Sounds like pickpocketing capital of the US propaganda to me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I guess Vanilla's housebuilding skills cannot, in fact, pay the bills.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Goddamn dogs, always leaving piles of frozen bananas on the lawn...

beaten like my dog the next time it misses my sundae bowl

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 26, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this strange. You just shouldn't have to tell people your food is clean. When I go in, I expect it to already be that way.

It's like running a whole campaign to advertise that your food is edible. Why do that? It's suspicious, not reassuring.

Our food's so clean it still has that crisp antiseptic aroma!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skooma512 posted:

The Vegas tourism board is trying to insinuate that everyone who touches the ground there is DTF and nobody will ever know.

This reminds me, it will never not be funny to me that Vegas is in one of the only counties in Nevada that hasn't legalized prostitution.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 1, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'd rather say you found proof that there is

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I know it says boiling oil right there but my brain continues to see boiling piss.

And then I noticed the fried flashlight and fries basket for lunch :wtc:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's like their previous commercial had a drunken one-night-stand with an Education Connection ad :byodood:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

Got FCC approval back in May, I think Charter just had to agree not to institute data caps for two years.

The FCC is a loving joke

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is it cheating or just efficient equipment use if you use the pissclub after topping it off?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Trivago's latest round of ads come in super loud, even relative to the other ads in the same block, even in online streaming. How the hell does that last part even work?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

I just saw a commercial with a man verbally ejaculating over how awesome his new catheter is. It was uncomfortable.

Welcome to the sunset of the baby boomers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That commercial is anime as gently caress.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

fizzymercy posted:

I have legit seen "Non GMO!" on tshirts and jeans so yeah, probably.

If the clothes are made of natural fibers or silk it would be a (presumably) true claim after a fashion, but it's just as myopic regardless.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm still not convinced that advertising metrics in general aren't wibbly-wobbly voodoo bullshit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I know when I step into the bathroom just behind someone else I stop and take a good whiff to check if they've been using poo poo perfume.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I assume that's special organic nontoxic etc. paint made for that purpose, but still :lol: at painting your lawn.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IronSaber posted:

You'd think the WalMart blueshirts would be the one standing in line for food.

They are.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

As the Baby Boomers pass further into the age of mortality I expect this exploitative dead parents bullshit to majorly peak.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I thought that was crypto-advertising for American Horror Story.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

raditts posted:

There's now an entire generation, arguably two, that have no frame of reference for video games that sounded like that, though.

There are people in their twenties that are younger than the PS1 and N64, for chrissake. :corsair:

The reference itself has become self-perpetuating, like making the hand-crank motion for filming something. That was old technology when our grandparents were in high school.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I kinda hope someone went insane and just straight did that

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

raditts posted:

The name "Funderdome" implies that something fun would be transpiring, but instead of being "FUN-derdome" it's "FUND-erdome" which is just a shittier version of Shark Tank that's not fun at all!

Exactly! When I first heard the name I thought was some kind of lighthearted American Gladiators resurgence, possibly involving kids with copious amounts of nerf padding. But instead it's a lame-rear end game show-ification of Shark Tank, seriously weak.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Come on, it can't be that b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yrnKZzUOM

:wtc:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Heh, they should update it so when he knocks it makes a dull thud and warps the LCD panel.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mahoning posted:

They have to be all pretentious like that. How else do you sell a loving fragrance or some high end tequila or something?

“It tastes/smells better”?

So basically they try to prey on rich people (or wannabe rich people) that think pretentious and vague=exclusive and elite.

The Lacome ads with Julia Roberts are so supercilious they loop back around to satire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ElHpkxYtco

Who takes this poo poo seriously.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

What the gently caress? You'll know it when you see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHI0uvFcyA

This world is alien to me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If I understood the rapid-fire narration right, there was also something about scooping sparkly pink litter for pet accessories? The whole thing felt like a skit from Interdimensional Cable.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Okay, I'll give them Chia Groot. They lucked into that one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I want to see the Donald Trump chia pet.

They're still trying to figure out how to make the plants grow a combover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Oh good, the Gushers squid commercial is back, along with another super gross one where a kid licks soap from a public restroom dispenser.

drat, they jumped on the tide pods meme real quick.