Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I hate the way this kid looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIOUxxjGR8c

Also, pay attention to the dad at the very end, he can't fake hitting that thing for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw one of those late night "date line" commercials where they just straight up said yo, nobody is calling these things for "dates." Call if you want to bang a chick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God drat, do I hate the Geico "That's Amazing!" commercials. They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have the person actually say the line.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crackpipe posted:

Memphis-area stations used to (still?) run PSAs about the dangers of homemade bug killer. Constantly.

I never imagined that there was an epidemic of people making pesticides in their garages and poisoning people's grandchildren.

I was wrong.

I've looked for the ads on Youtube since I moved away, but no one has ever uploaded them.

The rifftrax guys did a short telling people to stop washing their drat clothes with gasoline. So you can't really discount how stupid people are.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

aquatic sideshow posted:

Adult Swim is messing with my mind by playing this really soothing classical song while showing a film clip of some anime.

It's a girl on a motorcycle with what I can only assume are cat ear fittings on her helmet. Come on. Even if I was a cat ear anime girl I could wear a normal helmet like people with regular human ears!

The cat ear thing is just an odd affectation as that character doesn't actually have a head under there.

Yeah, I don't know either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its a modern day headless horseman kind of pastiche.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After midnight Eastern time CC's ads get all pervy and weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alberto Basalm posted:

I really did not like Direct TV's That's The TRUTH TRUTH commercials, and nothing will ever top the russian guy, but I don't mind the current one with the football loving businessman and his 50 yard line wall. And his silver football. And a gold football too!

Their new one with the "Whale" is also god-awful. It seems like it was written for Ken Jeong but since he's too popular now its just some other short Asian man talking with a high pitched voice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From my experience Kroger customers are loving retarded. The company I work for does some rebate processing for various companies and one of the subsets for a rebate is specifically from Kroger. Now the rebate form lists specifically what they're supposed to buy but I want to say that 90% of the ones we've gotten from them have the wrong purchase.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching TV last night and saw a commercial for the latest "Kids Bop" and noticed that they were prominently saying that one of the songs is Lady Gaga's "Born This Way." Sensing that something might be a little off by this I looked online and surprise surprise they use a sanitized version of the song that removes any reference to sexual orientation, race, wealth or nationality. It kind of misses the whole point of the song.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

Oh, yeah I hadn't figured that'd be the radio edit too :downs:

Nah, Kids Bop songs are completely re-recorded as they are sung by "kids." Also the version they used is cleaned up beyond any but the strictest radio stations would do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's an interesting bit of advertising history I learned recently, in 1970 Sid and Marty Krofft (HR Pufnstuf, Lidsville and many other weird and trippy kids shows) were able to successfully sue McDonalds for their "McDonaldland" (you know, Mayor McCheese, Grimace, the Fry Kids and such) campaign. Turns out the Kroffts were approached by an ad company that told them they were working to join up with McDonalds to create a campaign based on Pufnstuf characters. Later the company told them that the deal fell through. So imagine Sid & Marty's surprise when they find out that whoops, McDonalds went ahead anyway and just altered the designs slightly to make them fast food themed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have an odd commercial question, I've noticed that a couple of different companies have started using Youtube footage. Are they paying people for these?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

piratepilates posted:

Who is that guy anyway, it really seems like I should know who he is but I don't.

He's been in a bunch of Adam Sandler/"Happy Madison" movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember the coin that was supposedly made out of gold and silver recovered from ground zero, as if the company was sifting through the wreckage to find people's valuables to melt down.

Its not that, there was a vault under the WTC that had a bunch of silver in it. Although that's besides the point as the company got in trouble for the fact that no, they weren't using that either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, Battlefield 3, maybe if you want to use a song for your commercials you might want to use one where you don't have to bleep out the last line of the refrain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing with the McRib is, it's not economical to have on the menu full time, but it does well if they bring it out for a limited time.

It's not that good, it's nothing like actual BBQ, but... I don't dislike it.

Yeah, I worked at a McDonalds back when I was a teenager and they had the McRib when I was there and it was kind of a hassle to make. Not that it was hard but it just took a while.

Rhyno posted:

Well, just talking about it made me crave it.

What's with the onion? Any time that I've had it they used the thicker pieces.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Grimace posted:

I'm not going crazy, right? Tim Allen really has been shilling out commercials left and right for companies like Campbell's Soup and Chevy, right? I can't turn on the friggin' TV without hearing his voice these days.

Jeff Bridges, Jeremy Piven, Michael C Hall and Laurence Fishburne all do regular voice over work for car commercials.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, gently caress the Sonata "battery" commercial. Mostly for the near constant annoying smoke alarm beep.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

vyst posted:

That loopy blond bitch on the Wendy's commercials giving her boyfriend poo poo about chicken sandwiches needs a dropkick to the throat

The thing that kind of bothers me about that commercial is that the woman is really attractive while the guy is just some schlub.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really hate the AT&T 4GLTE commercials where they talk about stuff being "such and such seconds ago." They're pretty drat terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thwomp posted:

You'd be really surprised at just how many people go to Golden Corral/Old Country Buffet/All-You-Can-Eat places on Thanksgiving. It's crazy.

Yeah, my dad co-owns/manages a buffet restaurant and they're always fairly busy on Thanksgiving. Although a lot of their business on holidays comes from selling pies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Awesome.

I never cared that much for those "do the jingle" commercials, but the level they went to with this is awesome. I mean...the past year or year-and-a-half they've had these commercials on the air, they were also filming brief scenes of this break-dancing guy just so they could put it all together in a cool vignette/mash-up thingy.

Dedication.

The funny thing about it is that it seems that in most of these the actors in the commercial had no clue it was going to happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure how big of an area they're showing these in but I just love these Will Ferrell Old Milwaukee commercials that he filmed in Davenport, Iowa. Mostly because I live just across the river from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Ps-9L0-NOus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vcpXPlkF2k

There's a third one that I can't find on Youtube yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SamBishop posted:

Arrrrgh, Pizza Hut is back with their ANY* pizza for $10 bullshit.

No, it's not any crust (stuffed is extra) or any topppings (cheese is extra). gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you, I don't know how that's allowed when it's a flat-out lie.

I also don't like how they act like its such a great deal. No, $10 for a pizza is a pretty loving bad deal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know a lot of people like to talk up small local shops but seriously some of the worst pizza I've ever had as been from non-chain places.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Polaron posted:

There's an A&W/Long John Silvers near where I used to live in Southern Indiana. It was actually a pretty sweet combination.

Yeah, they have one of those in my area too and its nice to get a good frosty mug of root beer with my chicken.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Steak Justice posted:

I can't decide what's funnier about the ads for "The Journey 2: The Mysterious Island"

e: 2. It's a sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth starring Brendan Frasier, but with apparently no relation to it outside of the name

It shares one actor in Josh Hutcherson and apparently according to IMDB its the same character. Although he's kind of getting out of his "child actor" mold.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toffile posted:

This cartoon came up when I was getting some stuff for the Policomics thread.

I saw a new commercial for this and it was pretty weird as one of the "manly men" examples is a Moss from The IT Crowd lookalike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SteveVizsla posted:

Oh come on, you're going to bring it up and not mention it's called the JUSTICE COIN?

For the low price of $19.95, you get:
- Gold Justice coin
- BONUS Silver Justice coin
- BONUS 2 acrylic capsules to keep them in
- BONUS 2 certificates of authenticity
- BONUS US Navy SEAL Creed

CALL NOW and you also get:
- Military Briefing Pack
- Gold Lapel Pin
Just pay $10 more in s&h!

I have no idea all of that stupid poo poo comes to $260. Most of it you can print off wikipedia or get on ebay for a couple of cents.

As scummy as these are at least they're not selling "legal tender*" coins/bills at "face value**."

*in the country of Liberia

**$20 in Liberian currency is actually $.273 in USD

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This isn't so much a "bad commercial" post so much as a "what the gently caress?" commercial post. I just saw a commercial for mail. Regular rear end mail, by the USPS.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

angerbeet posted:

How exactly is the USPS meant to turn a profit if they don't advertise in these, our futurist times?

The strangest part was that it wasn't targeted towards regular people, instead it was towards companies telling them to send people their statements and such through the mail because mail doesn't get hacked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they do actually turn a profit from mailings and such, its just that Congress hosed them over with the mandate that they have to fully fund pensions well in advance. Or something like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another super scammy set of commercials are anything that involves getting a computer without a credit check/using your checking account. Apparently the government investigated one of those companies and despite thousands of people signing up and paying them money they hadn't sent out a single computer. Of course after they discovered that all of a sudden a bunch of people got their computers!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Will Farrell's run of extremely targeted Old Milwaukee ads continued last night. Previously the ads have aired only in Davenport, Iowa and Terre Haute, Indiana. Last night's Superbowl ad went even smaller to North Platte, Nebraska. I've got to say, this is getting weird.

Edit: The other day I saw a new Geico ad that I thought was really funny. Its a couple trying to save money on home security so they get a panther. It cuts to their bedroom at night with the panther sitting up on a dresser while they lie in bed eyes wide open.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 6, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Meltathon posted:

That movie doesn't come out for like two or three more weeks too. It's not a good sign when you can tell the acting is going to be bad from the trailer. Not totally sure those ACTIVE DUTY NAVY SEALS are acting material.

The weird thing about it is since they actually are active duty Navy Seals they won't be credited in the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Dunkin Donuts has been selling more coffee than donuts for a while now. It's why they slaughtered Krispy Kreme in the northeast.

It also didn't help that Krispy Kreme really overextended themselves a couple of years ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Valentine's Day ads are getting kind of crass this year, I've seen at least two separate ads (one for the new Twilight movie on DVD and the other for some flower thing) that tell guys to buy these for their girlfriend because, while the guy himself might not like it, if he does he'll be getting sex later.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best commercials right now are the new Old Spice ones where it starts out as a commercial for a different (real) product and then Terry Crews busts through the wall shouting about Old Spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nerdfest X posted:

There is this shaver ad that has Adrian Brody, Andre 3000, and some random eurotrash. My issue with this ad is that Andre's straw hat looks like it got ran over by a lawnmower. Why is he wearing a straw hat with holes in it?

Gael Garcia Bernal is not "some random eurotrash."