Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Any Papa Gino's commercial with a doorbell in it. It sounds exactly like my doorbell and it sends my dog into loving hysterics every time it comes on. She's fine with most TV doorbells but that's the only one that sounds exactly like the one that means OMG INTRUDERS MUST BARK gently caress gently caress JESUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Industrial posted:

You could train your dog to not be a spaz.
Aren't spaz dogs the best dogs?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you're that broke and need the money what is the worst thing they can do to you? Sue you and ruin your credit?

Or sit on it until you're not broke anymore and ruin you again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

You Are A Elf posted:

This ad gets me because that's all he had in the car? His shifter knob and I think some papers in the glovebox? When I was in my only car collision to date (not my fault; guy blew through a red light and I couldn't miss), I went to the place that my totaled car was at and made sure to look in every nook and cranny before I left that thing. I removed the stereo, the speakers, all my paperwork, my tools and jumper cables in the back, the flashlight and shop rags I kept under the seats, the change in the ashtray, and so much more little poo poo here and there. Hell, I even took the battery I'd just bought two weeks prior. This guy in the ad rolls up, takes his shifter knob and some paperwork, and after having a moment of silence for his wreck says, "Welp, see ya' later, car! VROOOM!"

But I guess it's better to see that than to watch some guy look under the dash, under the seats, in every little cubbyhole, etc.

I haven't seen the ad but from the description it just sounds like the shifter knob had sentimental value so the guy went and got it, and now it's on the front seat of his new car so he can have a piece of his old car in his new one.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CapnAndy posted:

A wife telling her husband that they should kill their newborn baby before they get attached to it is not nearly as winsome as Vonage seems to think it is.

Just sayin'.

Young Freud posted:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKcN54birRA

You're pretty dark if you get kill out of that though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

robot roll call posted:

Just trust him, he's right. And it must make them drive faster because I have never seen a JJ driver going less than 20 over the limit.

I've only driven once after smoking weed and I kept looking down at the speedometer and realizing I was going 35 in a 55 and no matter how many times I sped back up to 55 I would look down and I was going 35 again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DJExile posted:

The NCAA lacrosse championships have had one really good and one really awful commercial that keep running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf3cyifoUD0 This is a really cool spot one of the equipment companies put together to show the growth of the sport. Also John Christmas owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGnNoK7IUhk This song is obnoxious as hell and runs quite a bit louder than the rest of the channel and oh god I can't find the mute button poo poo no gently caress where is it

I like the careful camera work in the second one whenever there is game footage that keeps shots of the empty stands to a minimum.

edit: I'm a soccer fan I should probably shut up because lacrosse is just getting to where soccer in the US was about 15 years ago.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Grimace posted:

This is so awkward it's loving hilarious. They even have token black guy and old women actors! It's a pah-ty!

This seems so bizarre to me that anyone would think that regular people would want to hold Windows 7 launch parties. I keep waiting for the joke but I can't seem to find it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
These litter boston tv and they are horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7vL2xlWIM

The mascot (steve, the dude sticking out of the O) has changed in recent commercials to a dennis the menace looking kid, and the latest commercial has the default iphone text message tone in it which makes me think I have a text whenever it comes on.

Bad 3d animation from the 90's: check
constant overstimulation: check
horrible royalty free music: check
obnoxious announcer that won't shut up or breathe: check

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DrBouvenstein posted:

For content:
That God-drat "AccuTouch Nano" or whatever it's called for diabeetus. I really don't think a silly song and a medical device that looks like an iPod is the best marketing strategy.

Why not, exactly? Not that I think it's great but it's a hell of a lot higher production values than the typical "Call for your free meter today" ads. Diabetes isn't just for old people.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Obeast posted:

Considering that Axe smells like cheap poo poo cologne that stupid drunk sluts supposedly love and is mainly used by college-aged tools to pick up said sluts, I'm not surprised by how they advertise it.

:shrug:
I use axe bodywash in the shower and axe dry deodorant (not the spray stuff) because it smells nice and whenever it's noticed by a ladyfriend they comment that it smells nice too. Anybody that sprays on a ton of the poo poo is going to be a douchebag no matter what they are spraying on. The ads are terrible, but it's a pretty decent product when used correctly.

SpacePig posted:

I forgot to ask: Are they persistent ads, or do they go away after the hike? If they're there for the whole play, or the whole loving drive even, then I don't even know what they're thinking anymore.

They go away after the ball is in play, just like the extended down graphics (the big arrow graphic, not the lines)

note: A lot of ads like this are played around with during preseason because most of the preseason games are produced by either the team itself or the local broadcasters rather than the big boys at fox/nbc/cbs/espn. I doubt we'll see these in any real NFL games, just the preseason games.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 27, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That commercial is definitely one of the dumber ones I've seen recently. It's the epitome of "If I like these things that I think women also like, they can't help but want me!" :downs:

I don't think that was the point. It was that he thought his life was exciting now, when his last girlfriend dumped him because he was boring. I don't think it had anything to do with him doing those things to impress women. He was "moving on" by using his credit card rewards in a way that was akin to "living well is the best revenge."

Still a terrible ad, but that's how I saw it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Why is Max Payne trying to get me to eat bad, cheap steak?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Meltathon posted:

I'm amazed that there are families out there trying to record five shows at once. How much TV do people watch?

Visit an AV forum a few years ago and you'll see people who have 3 or 4 DVRs back when they only had 2 tuners. I have no idea how much TV these people are watching that they need that many tuners but they definitely exist.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

raditts posted:

I could understand if say, you single-handedly ran a TV review site or something, but I doubt that applies to most of these people. They're probably either TV show hoarders who record a bunch of stuff they will never watch and/or record them for a torrent site or something.

I think most of them are older single/divorced men who have no life and occupy their time by watching all 4 major networks entire primetime linups and talk about them with each other on forums.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Y-Hat posted:

Forever 21 has John 3:16 on the bottom of their bags.

As for Chipotle, one of the people whose quotes are being used is Jonathan Safran-Foer, who wrote a book about vegetarianism. Here's his response to why he let Chipotle use his quotes:

:jerkbag:
But isn't (or at least wasn't) chipotle owned by by mcdonalds?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

yourafagpleasedie posted:

And it feeeeeeeeels so good SO GOOD. SO GOOD. I'm making family-friendly car commercial music I'm soft as fuuuuuuuuuuuck. SO GOOD. SO GOOD.

Are you in New England? If so it's probably a Red Sox thing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

raditts posted:

There's a TV version of the ad too.

It isn't? Well how the hell does it work, then?

It's not 2 way communication. You hit the button, their service calls 911.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gonz posted:

Saw this last night while watching TBS; couldn't help but pause it and take a picture.

They'll sell anything on TV these days.

Vaginal cream and douche have been sold on TV for decades

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm a grown-up and I love chocolate cereal :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The joke isn't original and what are you doing on this website if you're offended that somebody named their cat "Tard"?

Words can have multiple meanings that change over time? :monocle:

The word is only like, 40 years old. There is evolution of language and there is just using words incorrectly.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Memes are terrible but if they're going to exist the person who created/owns them deserves to be paid for it.

Why? When the guy made it, it was an image macro. When people around him expanded upon his image macro and it spread it became a meme. If people should be paid for popular culture referencing memes who gets paid? The original guy who's image macro was probably not the funniest or best? What about the people who actually made their own and spread it around. Should they have to pay the original, or do the ad guys split it among everyone?

Should people who coin idioms be paid when one is used in an ad? I wonder how much the guy that came up with "Call Now!" has in his coffers.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 5, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mahoning posted:

Sure it's a legit point. Almost every commercial has some sort of legit point. That's not what makes it bad though. They spend the whole ad showing people using their competitor's product. And to make it worse, most of them seem happy to be plugged into the wall, not miserable. What has always bothered me about Samsung ads is they spend the entire commercial talking about Apple and nearly forget that they have a pretty good product on their hands.

I'm sure that it helps create a bit of brand loyalty with the people who are already Samsung users, but I doubt you're going to convince many others with that strategy.

The thing is, that in the world of Android phones Samsung does not have a pretty good product, they just have the marketing budget. They have a bloated version of Android on their phone that doesn't have a lot of visual flair, they have poor build quality, and are among the slowest of Android phone manufacturers to update their software, but everyone knows Samsung makes "the best phones" because of their marketing budget. They don't have enough merit to advertise on so they have to advertise with the tone of "we're the Apple alternative" and are trying to get the message across that there are only two choices, Samsung and Apple and you don't do that by touting features that every other Android phone has or will have with it's next release. You do it by tearing down Apple and Apple users and not acknowledging the products that are actually very close in feature-set and compatibility, and that are in most cases better products than the ones you sell.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Louis CK can sum up my feelings on this matter far better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY58fiSK8E

Gets relevant at 1:25.

Anyway, now having seen their ads after buying the phone I got last week, gently caress them, I'm glad I had miraculously insulated myself from advertising leading up to my phone purchase (there's nothing on in the summer and I use my DVR heavily in the first place, so I've been way out of it). I can't really fault them that strategy since it works, but the execution is obnoxious.

Just don't turn this into a brand war and disparage the actual product's quality because you seem to REALLY hate Samsung for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Your criticisms also seem to boil down to poo poo that's easily remedied by just removing preloaded software...something that makes me want to punch a baby every time I hear it, having worked repairing PCs and heard, "Omg this computer I just bought is a piece of poo poo, it's so SLOW," too many times to count. Just gently caress most people in regards to technological illiteracy.

Which segues into probably the most rage-inducing commercials I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9m2s6QG1Q0

Does it take more than THREE SECONDS for your email to load?

Well maybe you're an impatient, entitled gently caress who needs to calm down and let the hiccup in your local DNS resolve itself before assuming your $1200 facebook machine is at fault. That's my gut reaction every time I see his smug loving face saying that.

The adjective "slow" needs to be banned from use by IT clients and is ALL over any sort of advertising for these sorts of services. It's a relative descriptor rear end in a top hat. Is it slow relative to your expectations or have you documented that the load time on a program has increased over time? If you can answer with the latter, you probably know enough to fix this yourself.

Whoa dude, I'm echoing the prevailing opinion in most Android circles, not getting in a brand war here. Take a step back. I was explaining a theory as to why Samsung chooses to advertise the way they do. I'm not saying that using a Samsung phone instead of using an Apple or an HTC or LG is akin to torture or anything. I'm saying it doesn't have the features necessary to differentiate itself from the rest based on merit so they have to go a different direction.

I love that Loius CK bit, but I don't think it's particularly relevant to what I was saying at all. It is ridiculous for people to complain that something that is amazing isn't 100% perfect. Not at all what I was saying.

As for specifics, Samsung phones are based on a framework called Touchwiz which is pretty universally hated (check the Android thread on this very website where the attitude is that people who use Samsung phones are pretty much uninformed about what's good and assume Samsung's software is the same as all other Android phones because Samsung is the one they've heard of the most), and it's not always just a matter of "removing preloaded software" because the deficiencies of Touchwiz are baked deeply into the version of Android installed on the phone and the alternative to using Touchwiz based software on an Samsung phone is to flash a custom ROM on to the phone that has that stuff removed (Which many people do)

So no, I don't have a vendetta against Samsung. I have a Samsung TV that I spent a lot of money on, it's great. Their phone software leaves much to be desired and is hard to advertise for it based on merit. That's it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 7, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Your points about touchwiz are valid, but you might want to reread your original post. It comes across as, "gently caress Samsung, they make an irredeemably lovely product and only sell it by tearing down my hero Apple." I stand by the relevance of the Louis CK bit, but that's another debate entirely.

Where? The tone you claim to detect (which I have bolded above) is in no way referenced in the post which I've conveniently quoted for you to look over again. In it you'll notice I used fairly benign terms like "not a pretty good product" in a response to that exact phrase, "not a lot of visual flair" which I suppose could sting if you were the designer, "poor build quality" which is pretty factual and still not close to "gently caress Samsung" or "irredeemably lovely", and "among the slowest of Android phone manufacturers to update their software" which is, you know, quantifiable by looking at software updates from them and other manufacturers.

GutBomb posted:

The thing is, that in the world of Android phones Samsung does not have a pretty good product, they just have the marketing budget. They have a bloated version of Android on their phone that doesn't have a lot of visual flair, they have poor build quality, and are among the slowest of Android phone manufacturers to update their software, but everyone knows Samsung makes "the best phones" because of their marketing budget. They don't have enough merit to advertise on so they have to advertise with the tone of "we're the Apple alternative" and are trying to get the message across that there are only two choices, Samsung and Apple and you don't do that by touting features that every other Android phone has or will have with it's next release. You do it by tearing down Apple and Apple users and not acknowledging the products that are actually very close in feature-set and compatibility, and that are in most cases better products than the ones you sell.

Where am I saying anything even resembling brand loyalty? How about reading my words instead of assuming you know what I'm talking about.

Again, just to be clear, a question was asked why Samsung doesn't advertise their products based on merit, I answered the drat question. If anyone is getting super defensive about brand choices it's you who jumped to the defense of your purchase after I so deeply besmirched Samsung's good name.

PS: while I use an iPhone now I deeply regret trading in my HTC One for it. No brand loyalty here, dude.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 7, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

skaboomizzy posted:

Target, having learned nothing from Apple's "Gigantic" ad campaign, is using "Kids In America" for a back to school sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zwOK9xlEWk

What mistake exactly? The content of the song?

People in this thread give way too many shits about song "misuse." No one else cares. Iggy pop's lust for life in a cruise commercial? No one gave a poo poo except Debbie downers that no one wants to listen to.

It's not like Apple is selling fewer devices because someone realizes "wait, that's not what this song is about!" The same for Carnival Cruises.

Besides, maybe I'm missing something because I just read through the lyrics of kids in America and it seems like a generic new wave song about going out dancing and maybe hooking up. Which is completely irrelevant because the song in the ad doesn't even have words.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MrSlam posted:

I don't know how local Tom Shane of the Shane Company is.

His ads are on every radio commercial break I've ever heard since I was a kid. A jeweler acquaintance of mine says that his claims of going directly to the source for gemstones instead of getting markups from middle-men is misleading, since almost every jeweler (he knows) goes directly to the source and it's not that big a deal.

He has a very distinct voice if you've ever heard it. Pretty easy to do an impression of him.

The Shane Company is one of those things everyone thinks is local until they go on vacation somewhere else and hear the same commercial on the radio with local directions.

I grew up in Denver with "Just off Arapahoe road on Emporia Street, one half mile east of I-25. Open Monday through Friday till 8, Saturday and Sunday till 5." and it will be seared into my brain forever. They eventually changed the weekend hours to "Till 6" but it just sounded wrong.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 17, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

skooma512 posted:

At least try to make the hallucinogenic cowgirl gyrations relevant.

Why? Not that it's a good ad, but it's working the way they intended. It's meant to evoke a relationship between their products and sex so feeble minded people's minds will go to them when they think of burgers and how hungry they are because sex is an excellent motivator and a shaper of thoughts and emotions.

They aren't even going the way of saying "eat our burgers and you can gently caress women like this." Just simply attaching sexual imagery to the existence of their product eventually associates feelings towards that sexual imagery to feelings about their product.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 16, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sash! posted:

That's not football. That's a video game.

Also, I can't even think of an actual commercial for football that wasn't on ESPN.

Nbc has been pushing the gently caress out of their football coverage constantly on nbcsn.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Coaaab posted:

Kit-Kat. It's always Kit-Kat.

But that jingle is ubiquitous. Everyone recognizes it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
While the ad is terrible the surface pro 3 is awesome. I replaced the iPad and macbook pro with it. The kickstand is very handy when using it as a tablet. It holds at any angle unlike the smart cover on the iPad which can only stand up the iPad at two angles.

Also the thing comes with a pen, so I don't know what the deal is with the finger painting poo poo.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

greatn posted:

gently caress you chick film a cows.