Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Elendil004 posted:

For post 9/11 GI Bill...The website says that for online only you get half the national average. What if you're doing some locally and some online? How does that work? Can that even work?

If you take four classes and at least one of them are in class you get full BAH for your school's zipcode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If it's reported as an F, you should be fine. Here are things the VA won't pay for:

W - Withdraw during withdraw period, student elected, no professor approval required
WP/WF - Withdraw after withdraw period but before term ended, professor approved
N - Never attended

Your grades aren't reported to the VA under normal circumstances. If it's one of those three codes above, the certifying official is required to notify the VA who will then gobble that cash back up they paid the school.

In a regular semester period if you get a W, WP/WF or N but it keeps you full time it isn't reported. So if you were 15CR, withdrew from one 3CR class, but stayed at 12 you would be fine for billing purposes. Now if you went from 12->9 then you switched to part time and there is some paperwork to be adjusted.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

If it's reported as an F, you should be fine. Here are things the VA won't pay for:

W - Withdraw during withdraw period, student elected, no professor approval required
WP/WF - Withdraw after withdraw period but before term ended, professor approved
N - Never attended

Your grades aren't reported to the VA under normal circumstances. If it's one of those three codes above, the certifying official is required to notify the VA who will then gobble that cash back up they paid the school.

In a regular semester period if you get a W, WP/WF or N but it keeps you full time it isn't reported. So if you were 15CR, withdrew from one 3CR class, but stayed at 12 you would be fine for billing purposes. Now if you went from 12->9 then you switched to part time and there is some paperwork to be adjusted.

Thanks for the explanation man, you're the poo poo :hfive:

Also thank god for grade replacements, my only other failing grade turned into an A and boosted my GPA like .2

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

How hard is it to go to two schools at the same time? According to this site it seems pretty cut and dry. Probably a form here and there I would think. Is there anything weird that pops up?

http://www.gibill.com/blog/can-i-attend-two-schools-at-the-same-time-under-the-post-911-gi-bill.html

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

How hard is it to go to two schools at the same time? According to this site it seems pretty cut and dry. Probably a form here and there I would think. Is there anything weird that pops up?

http://www.gibill.com/blog/can-i-attend-two-schools-at-the-same-time-under-the-post-911-gi-bill.html

It's not that bad so long as both of your schools are aware of your status. Also of course, you can't double dip BAH which almost goes without saying.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Vasudus posted:

Yep. They took 750/month for 4 months from my April-July '10 payments. I don't know if they'll take that much from you, my BAH here is 2225. Might take longer to pay off.

Thanks. I knew they'd take out 750/mo if the debt was still owned by the VA or FedDebt, but I needed confirmation they'd actually pull debt back that they'd sold to a private company, it didn't sound right.

JediHampster
Mar 18, 2008
Ok, so here's my story:

I am literally 1 day shy of having 18 months of service so I have been getting my GI bill at 50% instead of 60, which sucks but I understand why. I got the chapter 30 for 18 months and now I am almost done with my chapter 33 extension. Here is my question:

I have a 10% disability rating that is service connected. I had multiple surgeries while in the Army and now have absolutely NO joints in my left foot (all the bones are fused together or free floating) and this pretty much killed me for running. I was also a very stubborn guy and wouldn't take the medical discharge and instead tried like hell to pass PT so I could go overseas and therefore my disability rating was given to me by the VA after I got out (I obviously failed the run). Will this disqualify me for the voc rehab? What is the difference between 10% rated by service and the 20% rated by the VA?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

JediHampster posted:

Ok, so here's my story:

I am literally 1 day shy of having 18 months of service so I have been getting my GI bill at 50% instead of 60, which sucks but I understand why. I got the chapter 30 for 18 months and now I am almost done with my chapter 33 extension. Here is my question:

I have a 10% disability rating that is service connected. I had multiple surgeries while in the Army and now have absolutely NO joints in my left foot (all the bones are fused together or free floating) and this pretty much killed me for running. I was also a very stubborn guy and wouldn't take the medical discharge and instead tried like hell to pass PT so I could go overseas and therefore my disability rating was given to me by the VA after I got out (I obviously failed the run). Will this disqualify me for the voc rehab? What is the difference between 10% rated by service and the 20% rated by the VA?

Sorry, you do not qualify for voc rehab if you're only 10% from the VA. I misread your post the first time and thought you said you were 10% service rated.

The main difference is that the services clump disability together, while the VA rates on a per-injury basis. The Army didn't give me poo poo for the fact that my hearing is now terrible, or the tons of wear-and-tear injuries I suffered. I got my rating from them due to the fact that I had PTSD like a motherfucker and shrapnel injuries.

Because the VA rates for many things the services do not, that is why you need a higher overall percentage from the VA to qualify for voc rehab. It doesn't mean you have to be more broken, just a different kind of broken. If that makes sense.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 1, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

Yes, you qualify for Voc Rehab. Start the process at gibill.va.gov.

The main difference is that the services clump disability together, while the VA rates on a per-injury basis. The Army didn't give me poo poo for the fact that my hearing is now terrible, or the tons of wear-and-tear injuries I suffered. I got my rating from them due to the fact that I had PTSD like a motherfucker and shrapnel injuries.

Because the VA rates for many things the services do not, that is why you need a higher overall percentage from the VA to qualify for voc rehab. It doesn't mean you have to be more broken, just a different kind of broken. If that makes sense.

Forgive me for most likely making you sound like a broken record but I'm pretty much in the same boat in a year when my GI Bill runs out. The other poster said he got his 10% through the VA after he got out, so how is that rated by the service?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

moker posted:

Forgive me for most likely making you sound like a broken record but I'm pretty much in the same boat in a year when my GI Bill runs out. The other poster said he got his 10% through the VA after he got out, so how is that rated by the service?

Yeah I didn't read that properly, I thought he said he was 10% service.

You need either 10% from the service (Army/Navy/AF/Marines) OR 20% from the VA. I'll use myself as an example.

I have PTSD like a motherfucker. My back still has shrapnel in it, along with my knee. My hearing is shot and I have tinnitus. My right shoulder has some minor nerve damage. I also have relative wear-and-tear on my neck and entire back + hips. For all of this, I was rated by the Army at 30% (which in turn is 50% for pay). The 30% was actually just for the PTSD, the Army didn't give a flying fornication about the rest of the damage.

The VA would likely rate me at 30% for PTSD, 10% for my combined hearing loss, 5% for my shoulder, 5% for my knee. Still the same injuries, just rated differently.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

JediHampster posted:

I was also a very stubborn guy and wouldn't take the medical discharge and instead tried like hell to pass PT so I could go overseas and therefore my disability rating was given to me by the VA after I got out (I obviously failed the run).

This right here is why it is so important to have a VA exit physical instead of the standard exit physical given by the post hospital/sick call.

All it takes is strolling into the VFW rep's office on post when you're clearing, take all of your medical records (make copies beforehand, at least two), and if I remember right (it's been 5 years) you'll give the originals to the VFW rep with your claim paperwork (they give you a sheet to turn back into records).

One difference, aside from what Vas said, is that you stand a good chance of seeing a civilian doctor instead of a VA/military doctor for your physical. A VA rating has to come from the VA, a service rating generally comes from someone outside of the VA, but contracted out by the military.

For all the hosed up things wrong with my back, I got a whopping 10% service connected. That's with needing a cane and recently my right leg going numb (similar to what you feel when your foot falls asleep during a long poo poo). loving hell, I need to get re-rated.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 5, 2011

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Just wanted to throw this out there, I skimmed the thread and didn't see it anywhere.

When I got out my husband and I moved to Pennsylvania. I was a resident of Ohio, he was a resident of Pennsylvania. We haven't started school yet, and for some personal reasons we decided to move to Ohio. I was pretty pissed at myself because I had just changed my residency to PA last month, and now I was going to eat up more GI Bill than necessary paying out of state rates.

Well turns out it doesn't matter in Ohio. My husband and I can both attend any college here in Ohio for resident rates because of Ohio's GI Promise.

http://uso.edu/opportunities/ohioGIpromise/tuition.php

There's a few stipulations to it. The major one being you must have a domicile in the state (we do). So you couldn't live in Kentucky and go to an Ohio school cheap. The link has all the details if this is something you're interested in.

The only thing that sucks is BAH is way less here (We moved from Pittsburgh to Columbus). But we are happier here than there, so that's the price of happiness right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'll update the OP with that shortly. Thanks.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
I'm getting set up to take solely online courses beginning at the end of August/beginning of September. The VA rep told me that receiving BAH for only online classes doesn't go into effect until October 1st, and couldn't tell me if it would apply to classes being already in progress on Oct 1, or only classes taken post-Oct 1.

Is he correct? If so, will I get BAH for classes begun in Aug/Sep beginning October 1st, or do I have to wait until the next quarter/semester whatever and receive it when I start new classes?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

I'm getting set up to take solely online courses beginning at the end of August/beginning of September. The VA rep told me that receiving BAH for only online classes doesn't go into effect until October 1st, and couldn't tell me if it would apply to classes being already in progress on Oct 1, or only classes taken post-Oct 1.

Is he correct? If so, will I get BAH for classes begun in Aug/Sep beginning October 1st, or do I have to wait until the next quarter/semester whatever and receive it when I start new classes?

My understanding of the matter is that you wouldn't get your first paycheck until the 31st of October and then on. In effect, you would lose BAH for Aug/Sept.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Better than losin' out until January. Thanks!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Just got word from my certifying official, who is quite on the ball like Vasudus's boss. If you're an out-of-state student going to a state school, fun's over.

The VA will only pay instate tuition rate to state schools from now on out. My Yellow Ribbon, for instance, will cover the difference only for fall and after that, its Pell Grant, and maybe Stafford for the rest of the terms. Hoping my VocRehab gets set up in time to avoid any debt.

tl;dr Apply for VocRehab now if your tuition situation is changing so you can be covered.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Question about college application process:

I left school and enlisted in the Navy about 5 years ago (my bad). This means I'll have to apply as a transfer student.

Every school wants a "College Official's Report" in which the dean/advisor discloses disciplinary problems and gives an evaluation. It's been 5 years... did schools still make you guys submit this form?

If yes, what is the process? Do I just mail the form to my previous school's dean and hope he will fill it out for me 5 different times?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I was never asked for or about anything to that nature. Their questions involving disciplinary issues were all involving academic dishonesty, but if it were anything involving that, I'd definitely disclose it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Any new guidance on the stipend change-over for Voc Rehab? Somehow avoided a semester meeting with my counselor and she didn't know what was up a few weeks ago.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

sharkbomb posted:

Question about college application process:

I left school and enlisted in the Navy about 5 years ago (my bad). This means I'll have to apply as a transfer student.

Every school wants a "College Official's Report" in which the dean/advisor discloses disciplinary problems and gives an evaluation. It's been 5 years... did schools still make you guys submit this form?

If yes, what is the process? Do I just mail the form to my previous school's dean and hope he will fill it out for me 5 different times?

All they'll ask for is a copy of your transcript, so depending on your initial school you may have to shell out cash for an official copy to be sent. Some schools are first-time-is-free though. Oddly enough, they may also want a copy of your HS transcript even if it's been a decade since you went.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Just thought I ought to check in and let folks know that I am using the post 9/11 GI bill to pay for some super sweet helicopter flight training at my local community college to the tune of $37,451.75 for this semester $29,870 of which is "lab fees", all of which is footed by Uncle Sam. Thanks Uncle! Also, by the time I finish, the total cost will be upwards of $130k. Whoo!

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I'm applying to a few private universities for the Fall 2012 semester. Part of choosing which school to attend will be dependent upon willingness to give me the extra money under the Yellow Ribbon program. Some of the schools state that they give the award to X number of undergraduates...

My question is, what kind of timeline or process can I expect in determining if I'm selected for Yellow Ribbon?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Just a heads up to you guys looking to go to school at one of the UC schools in California, there's a program called TAG which is basically a guaranteed transfer agreement provided you meet the minimum credits and GPA. You can only apply for one at a time and if your TAG doesn't get accepted (if you fail the GPA req or have too many credits) you can still apply as a regular transfer student. Different schools have different credit/gpa requirements and some have no cap on credits while some do. Make sure to read through them carefully. There's probably even TAG programs in other states so it's something worth researching.

http://uctag.universityofcalifornia.edu/ for more info.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 24, 2011

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

I'm applying to a few private universities for the Fall 2012 semester. Part of choosing which school to attend will be dependent upon willingness to give me the extra money under the Yellow Ribbon program. Some of the schools state that they give the award to X number of undergraduates...

My question is, what kind of timeline or process can I expect in determining if I'm selected for Yellow Ribbon?

I would presume that it would be attached to your financial aid statement after you get accepted to the university.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

Yellow Ribbon the federal program is given to everyone at the 100% rating and the school is part of the program. Every school worth going to is part of this federal program.

Yellow Ribbon the school program varies wildly, as 'Yellow Ribbon' is a generic as gently caress name.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Exactly. The biggest factors of the Yellow Ribbon Program are if your school partakes in it, how many slots they have total and the total amount of aid.

My old school had 165 slots for undergrad, grad, and law for $5000 each, so that was $10K extra in aid.

Just have to check with each school and the VA's website.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
So my school isn't even giving half of a poo poo about HEOA compliance (ie, disclosing ISBNs of textbooks) and after hearing all the ladies in one of my classes complain, I sent an email to the head of the bookstore that apparently has stirred up quite a shitstorm.

I asked for the ISBNs to the texts to my classes (I already ordered them online, so no real need), and was shot down rather rudely. I emailed her back a link to Section 112 of the HEOA:

http://content.efollett.com/HEOA/library/HEOATextbookProvision.pdf

and asked how exactly they felt they were in compliance with the law. First she sent an email claiming I made that link up and she had never heard of that law. Then she sent another email claiming that it doesn't apply to community colleges :laugh: She didn't seem to notice I was CC'ing our exchange to every single staff email I could harvest from their lovely website.

Then I got a very polite phone call this afternoon asking if I could come speak to the dean of students at my earliest convenience, if it was possible. So tomorrow afternoon should be interesting in any number of ways.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

GD_American posted:

So my school isn't even giving half of a poo poo about HEOA compliance (ie, disclosing ISBNs of textbooks) and after hearing all the ladies in one of my classes complain, I sent an email to the head of the bookstore that apparently has stirred up quite a shitstorm.

I asked for the ISBNs to the texts to my classes (I already ordered them online, so no real need), and was shot down rather rudely. I emailed her back a link to Section 112 of the HEOA:

and asked how exactly they felt they were in compliance with the law. First she sent an email claiming I made that link up and she had never heard of that law. Then she sent another email claiming that it doesn't apply to community colleges :laugh: She didn't seem to notice I was CC'ing our exchange to every single staff email I could harvest from their lovely website.

Then I got a very polite phone call this afternoon asking if I could come speak to the dean of students at my earliest convenience, if it was possible. So tomorrow afternoon should be interesting in any number of ways.

Haha, I love it when people argue and have no clue what all those things in the CC list mean. I'll be eagerly awaiting a youtube clip of your local news station praising you as a hero of the students.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

GD_American posted:

Why would they withhold the ISBNs? Once you know the name of the book and edition you can just punch it in Amazon and see what the ISBN is.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Were all MGIBs converted into the Post 9/11 GI Bill, or do you need to swap it over yourself? Are there any ADSC's involved with this? Can I really get out, gently caress bitchesmy wife, get money, go to school and get paid E5 BAH w/ deps?

Sounds like a sweet deal and there is literally no reason for any person to remain in the military.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Packard Goose posted:

Were all MGIBs converted into the Post 9/11 GI Bill, or do you need to swap it over yourself? Are there any ADSC's involved with this? Can I really get out, gently caress bitchesmy wife, get money, go to school and get paid E5 BAH w/ deps?

Sounds like a sweet deal and there is literally no reason for any person to remain in the military.

If you were MGIB (chapter 30) then you go to gibill.va.gov and you apply for Post 9/11. I don't think you can even apply as a new MGIB. You have to surrender your MGIB to get it. If you got a MGIB kicker, you still get that money.

If you already used time from MGIB or already applied for it and never used it, then you have to convert over to Post 9/11. Same process as above. The only caveat is that if you used time, you don't magically get more months. Example: I switched from MGIB to Post 9/11 at 27 months of benefits remaining. I got 27 months of Post 9/11.

And yes, if you've done your 3 years active (necessary to get 100%) there isn't a reason to stay in unless you actually like the lifestyle. It's pretty sweet making more money than I did deployed going to school.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Vasudus posted:

If you were MGIB (chapter 30) then you go to gibill.va.gov and you apply for Post 9/11. I don't think you can even apply as a new MGIB. You have to surrender your MGIB to get it. If you got a MGIB kicker, you still get that money.

If you already used time from MGIB or already applied for it and never used it, then you have to convert over to Post 9/11. Same process as above. The only caveat is that if you used time, you don't magically get more months. Example: I switched from MGIB to Post 9/11 at 27 months of benefits remaining. I got 27 months of Post 9/11.

And yes, if you've done your 3 years active (necessary to get 100%) there isn't a reason to stay in unless you actually like the lifestyle. It's pretty sweet making more money than I did deployed going to school.

OK mate, let me get this straight:

- I'll have been in 14 years by my DOS
- I've never used or applied for any MGIB/Post 9/11. Ever.
- When I enlisted I opted in for the MGIB

So this means I only need to go to https://www.freemoney.gov and apply for my Post 9/11 GI Bill, and get paid? While working a jack off job at Taco Bell part time while MY WIFE tries to get a sweet dental assistant job?

This is so sweet there is no way this is going to be sustainable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Packard Goose posted:

OK mate, let me get this straight:

- I'll have been in 14 years by my DOS
- I've never used or applied for any MGIB/Post 9/11. Ever.
- When I enlisted I opted in for the MGIB

So this means I only need to go to https://www.freemoney.gov and apply for my Post 9/11 GI Bill, and get paid? While working a jack off job at Taco Bell part time while MY WIFE tries to get a sweet dental assistant job?

This is so sweet there is no way this is going to be sustainable.

Yes. You go to gibill.va.gov and apply for Post 9/11 Benefits. 2-3 weeks later you get a letter in the mail called a Certificate of Eligibility which tells you that you have 36 months at the 100% rate and you have until ~2027 to use them.

Go to school for free, get paid as an E5 w/ Dependents for the zip of your school. 1000 bucks a year for books. Kicker if you have it.

Also you don't have to work for taco bell, you can apply for unemployment and get 99 weeks of it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
OK, I'm about to apply to some grad schools and have some dumb questions. Feel free to call me an idiot if these are googleable, but I thought of this thread first. I admit I need to do some research on my own past these questions.

For reference, I have a full time job and am looking to do part-time distance learning to get a master's degree. Former AF officer, 6 years TIS.

- I see references to the FAFSA on applications, do I need to fill one out if I'm using the Post 9-11 GI Bill?

- Do I apply to the school first, then go to va.gov and do the paperwork? Or are there things I need to do at va.gov before I start applying? (Related to Packard Goose's question, I suppose)

- I live in MD and will probably apply to a school in VA, which I assume switches me to out-of-state tutition - is this a case where Yellow Ribbon would fill in the gap if any?

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

hannibal posted:

OK, I'm about to apply to some grad schools and have some dumb questions. Feel free to call me an idiot if these are googleable, but I thought of this thread first. I admit I need to do some research on my own past these questions.

For reference, I have a full time job and am looking to do part-time distance learning to get a master's degree. Former AF officer, 6 years TIS.

- I see references to the FAFSA on applications, do I need to fill one out if I'm using the Post 9-11 GI Bill?

- Do I apply to the school first, then go to va.gov and do the paperwork? Or are there things I need to do at va.gov before I start applying? (Related to Packard Goose's question, I suppose)

- I live in MD and will probably apply to a school in VA, which I assume switches me to out-of-state tutition - is this a case where Yellow Ribbon would fill in the gap if any?

I am no pro, but from what I've read and researched on my own, I can answer two of those questions.

Yes, fill out a FAFSA since you can still get grants and other free money from the government in addition to your Post 9/11.

Yes, if the out-of-state tuition costs more than 17.5k, then the Yellow Ribbon will make up the difference if that school participates. I'd recommend you double check, since I've found that some grad schools have stipulations. Like, one might say "100% difference, unlimited students." Others might say "Up to $7,648, 18 students." The Yellow Ribbon website has all that info.

reir
Nov 19, 2004
Well I was considering transferring to my wife while still active until I saw this.

quote:

Family member use of transferred educational benefits is subject to the following:

Spouse:

May start to use the benefit immediately.
May use the benefit while the member remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty.
Is not eligible for the monthly stipend or books and supplies stipend while the member is serving on active duty.
Can use the benefit for up to 15 years after the service member’s last separation form active duty.

That really blows, I'm assuming the monthly stipend is the E5 BAH. I could go for the no book money but drat, no BAH really kills it.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

GD_American posted:

Stuff

so what happened?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

HClChicken posted:

so what happened?

Total anti-climax. Bookstore lady is a hard worker and was just mistaken, we're in the process of transferring blah blah and intend to be fully in compliance blah blah

I had a super-bad day at work before the meeting so I wasn't feeling up to being as antagonistic as I'm capable. I guess I can table the issue for when I'm feeling bored a few months down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How is the BAH payment credited to your account? Every 1st and 15th?

• Locked thread