Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sarah posted:

The school I'm attending has a new VA counselor. And he's already messed up big time. The VA is taking a really, really long rear end time sending my certificate to give to the school. He told all the veterans that didn't have one yet that they will be OK and the cashier's office will know not to drop them.

The day of non-payment drop I went in with my application that I submitted on eBenefits to make absolutely certain I would not get dropped for non-payment (I really would not like to pay extra fees out of my pocket for dumb poo poo like that) and he said that the director recently told him that everyone without certificate is being dropped at midnight. He talked to the director and got the OK that I could be on the do not drop list since I was so serious about making sure I was not going to be dropped.

I guess in the past they have added all the veterans to the do not drop list then when classes start a lot of them just don't show up. So I can see where he's coming from, but there was no effort to contact anyone about it. So when they re-register they have a $75 fee for being dropped by the cashier's office.

So I'm sure this week he has hundreds of angry veterans busting down his door (He said there were around 800 veterans attending this semester). Hell, many of them might not even know since he assured so many of them they would be fine, and I'm doubting he's putting effort into e-mailing or calling anyone.

Luckily I have enough money saved up for books since it is going to be a while before I get any sort of payment. The last time I called the VA they said I was still in queue for approval.

Talk to your dean of student affairs. Get that assclown in trouble.

My chain of command is currently myself -> my boss (Veteran/Adult Services, currently on extended leave) -> Student Supportive Services Director -> Dean of Student Affairs. Even if your vet office is out of financial aid or the bursar, student affairs can get involved because it directly affects you.

My university also has a VET flag in the database so when they run a drop list report, they make a separate list of those with that flag about to be dropped and forward it to my office. We then try and square away missing paperwork internally before telling the bursar not to drop anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

-Hey VA, how much gi bill do I have?
-100% bro!
-Even with SLRP? Sweet
-Haha bitch it's 60%. Enjoy them bills sucka

rockamiclikeavandal fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 20, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, GI Bill time = years active - 3 if you took SLRP. Gotta do 6 years AD to get it.

I hope you paid off at least 35k in loans!

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

I get how it works, I'm just disappointed I get one letter saying one thing and then another saying something else. loving Germans. Nothing changes. loving Nazis.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Happen to have 10% service connected (physical in place of ETS physical) or 20% rating by the VA (done after ETS)? You could do exactly what I'm doing. Voc Rehab pays 100%. Tuition, books, necessary supplies (expensive calculators) about $100~ for supplies if you go all spring, summer and fall semesters. The 60% will translate over to your BAH option (in place of old Voc Rehab stipend rate).

Don't have the rating? Well poo poo, enjoy. I took SLRP to pay off trade school loans, thinking I'd work that the rest of my life, and real college never crossed my mind.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Happen to have 10% service connected (physical in place of ETS physical) or 20% rating by the VA (done after ETS)? You could do exactly what I'm doing. Voc Rehab pays 100%. Tuition, books, necessary supplies (expensive calculators) about $100~ for supplies if you go all spring, summer and fall semesters. The 60% will translate over to your BAH option (in place of old Voc Rehab stipend rate).

Don't have the rating? Well poo poo, enjoy. I took SLRP to pay off trade school loans, thinking I'd work that the rest of my life, and real college never crossed my mind.

I have my first meeting on Thursday to switch over. Any advice besides have a solid plan prepared and don't be a dumbass? :v:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ha, yeah, I didn't exactly go in expecting anything. The letter they sent you probably says "show up as you would for an interview and be prepared for blah blah blah". I'm pretty sure I went in wearing DCU cutoff shorts and a raggedy t-shirt. Though if my test scores didn't come up as high as they did, I probably would've been laughed out of the office.

Go comfortably. You'll watch a video (20-30 minutes) that explains what Voc Rehab will cover (if it's the same one I saw, you'll watch a story about a barber). After that they'll throw you in front of a computer and have you take a few tests. These are to determine your basic skills and preferences. Math, reading, logic, etc, and they're not difficult (math is pretty basic, nothing elaborate). Expect the testing time to take 30-45 minutes.

Once you're done, the counselor will print your scores, sit down and explain what they mean to you. This is when they will go over what (based on your scores and interests) they will cover as far as training, school, etc. If you're on your way to a degree already then you're a step ahead of others. You'll set goals for education, future employment possibilities (just pull jobs related to your degree off indeed.com), and set a deadline for completion (which is flexible).

I'm in the midst of my gen eds at a feeder CC for an engineering program at the local university. My completion date is set for 12/2015, though it may go a little longer than that. From what I've heard (but not confirmed), the program will be there for me until I get my PE license. That aside, it's a great program. You'll only have to meet with your counselor once a semester (if even that), and the fact that books and supplies are covered completely is awesome. Between summer and fall, I've racked up $1200-1300 in books/supplies, plus another $70 they gave me for misc poo poo like notebooks, pens, etc.

So yeah, even if you go in looking like a dumbass (as I did), you can still come out ahead.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
Alright, so this is a question I asked my VA guy.

quote:

I was wondering if the GI Bill paid for my tuition and how I would go about getting any leftovers if there are any. I currently have a Pell Grant, GI Bill and a Prepaid College Plan paying my tuition. I just expected to see another check from the GI Bill or something of the sort, because the Prepaid plan is supposed to pay tuition completely for 2 years.

His response:

quote:

We do not report tuition and fees to the VA until end of add/drop period. Any refund based on payment from VA won’t be until November.

That seem about right?

I got a check for about $1585 because I got all of the financial aid back after my Prepaid Plan paid off the first quarter. I would expect there to be a second check for the GI Bill payment. So, I'm guessing what he means is I'll be getting that in November at the end of the quarter, basically.

Just wondering if that's a normal process...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jaysus posted:

Alright, so this is a question I asked my VA guy.

His response:

That seem about right?

I got a check for about $1585 because I got all of the financial aid back after my Prepaid Plan paid off the first quarter. I would expect there to be a second check for the GI Bill payment. So, I'm guessing what he means is I'll be getting that in November at the end of the quarter, basically.

Just wondering if that's a normal process...

It's technically correct, it's just the opposite of what I do. I process VA payments first, grants second, which means the grants go to a negative balance which is paid to you.

Looks like your school does it grants first, VA second, which also creates a negative balance. It's just opposite.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

It's technically correct, it's just the opposite of what I do. I process VA payments first, grants second, which means the grants go to a negative balance which is paid to you.

Looks like your school does it grants first, VA second, which also creates a negative balance. It's just opposite.

I see, so I'll just have to wait until November for that GI Bill money. You should come work for my school.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Also, I would like to point out that telling Unemployment people about going to school is a major pain in the rear end and don't ever do it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jaysus posted:

I see, so I'll just have to wait until November for that GI Bill money. You should come work for my school.

Yeah, it's a pretty poo poo system in regards to getting the veteran their money fastest. My school is dishing out grants/FA this Thursday to people A-M and Friday for N-Z. They know the federal government is good for it, they know my paperwork is correct, so they don't gently caress around for a month.

The biggest difference that a school can have is do they have an actual vet office run by someone who knows what they are doing. Currently only three four year schools in my state have a full time vet rep that is also a real vet. Usually it's some douchebag in financial aid or the bursar's office that doesn't understand anything about dealing with Vets/guard/reserves/etc.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty poo poo system in regards to getting the veteran their money fastest. My school is dishing out grants/FA this Thursday to people A-M and Friday for N-Z. They know the federal government is good for it, they know my paperwork is correct, so they don't gently caress around for a month.

The biggest difference that a school can have is do they have an actual vet office run by someone who knows what they are doing. Currently only three four year schools in my state have a full time vet rep that is also a real vet. Usually it's some douchebag in financial aid or the bursar's office that doesn't understand anything about dealing with Vets/guard/reserves/etc.

drat, I wish it was that way, but I have the prepaid plan and it got me that big check early on. I can't tell if the guy that does my VA stuff is just old and wrinkly because he's old, or because the military wore him down. He sure as poo poo looks like he could have been a Sergeant Major at some point.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'll freely admit, this is something I should know, but here it goes. Is it true that Pell Grants and some other loans can be forgiven if you served more than 365 days in a combat zone?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dantu posted:

I'll freely admit, this is something I should know, but here it goes. Is it true that Pell Grants and some other loans can be forgiven if you served more than 365 days in a combat zone?

Grants you don't pay back. They're awarded to you and that's that.

I've never heard of loans ever being forgiven for being in a tax free zone. To my knowledge, the only thing that I've ever heard is that you can get a deferment while you're overseas. Much like how you don't accrue interest on loans while in school, spending time in a tax free zone does not accrue interest.

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Eagerly awaiting until October 22-31 to find out how the VA has hosed up again.

What I mean by this is that I have these bad foreboding thoughts about this terrible and nauseating department and my exceedingly critical BAH Payment.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Vasudus posted:

Grants you don't pay back. They're awarded to you and that's that.

I've never heard of loans ever being forgiven for being in a tax free zone. To my knowledge, the only thing that I've ever heard is that you can get a deferment while you're overseas. Much like how you don't accrue interest on loans while in school, spending time in a tax free zone does not accrue interest.

I'm retarded, I meant Perkins Loans not Pell Grants. Anyways I found this on the Dept of Education:

"Recipients of a National Direct Student Loan and Perkins Loan may receive partial cancellation of their loan for their service in the United States Armed Forces if his/her military service was for a full year in a hostile fire/imminent danger pay area."

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Went to an education briefing and we were told that due to new changes while active duty you can pull your 9/11 to get a book stipend/ supplies. It's a max of 1000 per year. You get about 41.XX per credit hour. Stupidly I forgot to ask how it affects the rest of your GI bill, does it remove from your cap or is it a incentive to get people of montgomery.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
$1,000 a year for books is a joke. Buying books used from the campus books store equals more than that a year for me. I got lucky and got one of the most expensive ones off of craigslist in good condition for pretty cheap. At least it is the same book that my husband and I both need for English, and we're in different classes at different times so we can share it.

Oh and turns out the school I'm going to, some books you HAVE to buy brand new because it comes with an activation code for an internet program that you have to use along with the course. If you buy a used book the code will cost you $80 separately, so might as well buy the book new.

Then I sit in all these classes this week, and find out half of the class probably won't even need the book, it's just there "in case" you need to look at it if you take lovely notes.

Oh and we paid for these books out of our unemployed pockets. I imagine the VA probably has 1 person sitting somewhere in a moldy basement manually thumbing through service records back to your first day of boot camp checking eligibility and then using crayons to draw you a certificate. I can't wait until I finally get it then get to jump through whatever other hoops there are for payment and backpay.

I apologize for being so sour and negative, but I honestly do no understand what the gently caress could possibly be taking this long. I'm pretty nervous about everything because the VA rep has already proved incompetent. We had a problem getting ID cards (turns out we can't, no way around it until VA pays school) and left a voicemail for him. Well, he did finally get back to us a few days later and said to just e-mail him from now on because he has a very heavy volume of phone calls and walk ins. I'd imagine all those veterans that got dropped are just a little angry they have a fee to pay before they can re-register classes. Which started on Wednesday. Which they should have been sitting in, they bought parking passes, stupidly expensive books out of pocket like we did... etc etc.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone know how long it usually takes to get your DD-214 after separating?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I got mine two weeks before I officially got out. The day before terminal leave, to be exact.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Sarah posted:

I got mine two weeks before I officially got out. The day before terminal leave, to be exact.

Hmmmm.... I final outted yesterday and there is nothing in ebenefits nor did anyone mention it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TLG James posted:

Hmmmm.... I final outted yesterday and there is nothing in ebenefits nor did anyone mention it.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark. Air Force?

They always do such strange things with DD214s. I got mine the very second I finaled out of the Army.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

TLG James posted:

Anyone know how long it usually takes to get your DD-214 after separating?

When I separated, they said it would be in the mail in two weeks or so after my separation date. Of course, I moved across the country not two weeks after I separated, and even with a forwarding address at the post office I never recieved a DD214. I ended up having to request another one from ARPC.

(AF here as well)

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

TLG James posted:

I got mine 7 days after my DOS. Air Force.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sarah posted:

Rage

Agreed, the amount for books is not nearly enough. I'm dealing with 2 classes that require those activation code bullshit things this semester. As for the other stuff, 2-3 weeks seems to be about the norm nowadays, especially for fall term. If all that stuff is going on, I'd have to say it's the fault of your school and/or your vet certification guy, not the VA. Sadly it just depends on how they have things set up and 'vet friendly' they are. Schools like Vasudus's and my own are just fortunate enough to let them not gently caress with vets, even if they haven't payed yet. My old school was like yours though, and it loving sucked. I was even selling some of my firearms for cash in 2009 until they issued the $3000 checks because I was so broke.

Vasudus, I'm surprised you don't pimp Ch31 now over 33 for those eligible, especially with the BAH changeover. Everything has been smooth so far, plus all books and a MacBook Pro for next semester. I mean the VA literally has an expense account at our campus bookstore, WTF.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I do for my incoming students normally. I should probably revise the OP (for a third time) when I get the energy to do so.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Sarah posted:

$1,000 a year for books is a joke. Buying books used from the campus books store equals more than that a year for me. I got lucky and got one of the most expensive ones off of craigslist in good condition for pretty cheap. At least it is the same book that my husband and I both need for English, and we're in different classes at different times so we can share it.

Oh and turns out the school I'm going to, some books you HAVE to buy brand new because it comes with an activation code for an internet program that you have to use along with the course. If you buy a used book the code will cost you $80 separately, so might as well buy the book new.

Then I sit in all these classes this week, and find out half of the class probably won't even need the book, it's just there "in case" you need to look at it if you take lovely notes.

Oh and we paid for these books out of our unemployed pockets. I imagine the VA probably has 1 person sitting somewhere in a moldy basement manually thumbing through service records back to your first day of boot camp checking eligibility and then using crayons to draw you a certificate. I can't wait until I finally get it then get to jump through whatever other hoops there are for payment and backpay.

I apologize for being so sour and negative, but I honestly do no understand what the gently caress could possibly be taking this long. I'm pretty nervous about everything because the VA rep has already proved incompetent. We had a problem getting ID cards (turns out we can't, no way around it until VA pays school) and left a voicemail for him. Well, he did finally get back to us a few days later and said to just e-mail him from now on because he has a very heavy volume of phone calls and walk ins. I'd imagine all those veterans that got dropped are just a little angry they have a fee to pay before they can re-register classes. Which started on Wednesday. Which they should have been sitting in, they bought parking passes, stupidly expensive books out of pocket like we did... etc etc.

I'd not be able to take 25 credit hours a year as active duty. Maybe 15-18 though.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Jaysus posted:

I got mine 7 days after my DOS. Air Force.

That kinda sucks... A lot of fed jobs want that..

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

TLG James posted:

That kinda sucks... A lot of fed jobs want that..

I think like...every single one of them? It's retarded and you can't even get your unemployment until you have the originals.

Luckily, if you're trying to go to school, they'll accept your DD214WS.

You can check on the status at 1-800-525-0102. They can tell you if it is in the process of being mailed or if it has been mailed already.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

So, I take it back, telling Unemployment about school was the best idea ever.

Dude just processed me through and I don't have to actively search for a job. They're paying me $525 a week for 6 months and I qualify for 6 extra months of that if I apply for the "Training Benefits" program WA has. Don't know what other states require, but they're paying me to go to school and it's loving sweet. It helps that my degree isn't basket weaving, too. I just had to talk to the advisor guy and tie in Computer Science with my Loadmaster career field from the Air Force and how it would make me a more desirable employee.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

HClChicken posted:

I'd not be able to take 25 credit hours a year as active duty. Maybe 15-18 though.

If the money they give you on active duty for GI Bill comes out of future book funds you'll need in the future when you take classes not on active duty, do not do it. If you know you're never going to get out, then take it. You will need every dime for books if you get out with no job. For me, bills (car payment, insurance) come first. I collect unemployment and don't pay rent and it was still a struggle. I'm only taking 3 classes, total of 15 credit hours and my books brand new would have been $350.88. I did have some money saved up, but losing a whole car payment to books hurt. Next quarter the classes I need are less hours, so I'll be taking at least 4 or 5 classes just to make full time (Yay, more expensive worthless books!). I saved $150 this time by getting books off craigslist, so I was able to stay under "budget" for 1k a year for text books.

My school is very veteran friendly, but new VA guy doesn't know what the hell is going on. I don't think he's going to last long.

Hopefully I can unload these books on craigslist after the course is done. I doubt the bookstore buys them back for much.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 23, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Roving Reporter posted:

Everything has been smooth so far, plus all books and a MacBook Pro for next semester. I mean the VA literally has an expense account at our campus bookstore, WTF.

Wait, what? Is Voc Rehab handing out macbooks now?

Not that I currently own or use apple products.

E: and yep, having VR&E books stipend is the poo poo. gently caress paying for anything. Wait, is that how they're setting you up with a macbook?

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 23, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Wait, what? Is Voc Rehab handing out macbooks now?

Not that I currently own or use apple products.

They use whatever you ask for. Few vets of mine got iPads.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is that dependent on a major, something they ask if you'll need or something you have to ask for? I can see them buying laptops if you don't already have one and are majoring in computer science or something, but not just buying students macbooks and ipads on a whim without validating it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Is that dependent on a major, something they ask if you'll need or something you have to ask for? I can see them buying laptops if you don't already have one and are majoring in computer science or something, but not just buying students macbooks and ipads on a whim without validating it.

If you prefer to use Apple products they'll get you one. It's not like they're dishing out the top of the line MacBook Airs to the tune of two grand. Two of my new CH31s requested iPads instead of laptops and got them. 600 dollar tablet vs. 800 dollar laptop.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

You just have to state that you need X and sell it to them. I asked for a laptop due to some hybrid classes since I only have a desktop. At first, they wanted to do a Dell(along with printer and ink to boot), but they said if I could convince them I needed a Mac, then I could have it.

Multiple articles on how Macs cost less over time than PCs/dual boot, a letter from the Department head in my program and a letter from the VA speech pathologist detailing how Macs are easier to use for vets in school. It's all about how much red tape you're willing to go through.

I'd rather have something I've seen last previously with awesome customer support(Apple).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Huh. I knew they'd buy computers if needed, but ipads and apple products in general are something I never suspected they'd go along with. A laptop, yes, but tablets? Seemed like a stretch.

Then again, the local county school system gave my wife a macbook and ipad (she's a teacher), so maybe I've been ignoring the validity of using an ipad for educational purposes.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Jaysus posted:

So, I take it back, telling Unemployment about school was the best idea ever.

Dude just processed me through and I don't have to actively search for a job. They're paying me $525 a week for 6 months and I qualify for 6 extra months of that if I apply for the "Training Benefits" program WA has. Don't know what other states require, but they're paying me to go to school and it's loving sweet. It helps that my degree isn't basket weaving, too. I just had to talk to the advisor guy and tie in Computer Science with my Loadmaster career field from the Air Force and how it would make me a more desirable employee.
Oh my god you just made my day.

So with my GI bill and my ACF ill be getting ~2000 a month, PLUS ~2100 from my glorious fellow Washingtonians?
That's like ~30k for sitting on my rear end doing 2 semesters of school.
GiP already had me eagerly anticipating my freedom, but that's a loving light at the end of the tunnel that can't be beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Roving Reporter posted:

You just have to state that you need X and sell it to them.

This truly works for anything you're getting from state/federal government.

If you can prove your case, you will get what you want.

And yeah, boda, it's loving sweet.

• Locked thread