Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axium
Jan 21, 2007
I contracted with a $63,036 Army College Fund option in December 07'. The payout details in the contract assume you are using the Ch30 MGIB. How does the payout differ when using Post 9/11? Have tried to research this but have found several conflicting answers and most still assume using the MGIB. Is the monthly payout just added onto my BAH? For that matter, what IS the monthly payout amount? VA seems to use some fuzzy math to determine this, just trying to get a solid answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axium
Jan 21, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Haha you and me both. I'm trying to collect my 50k ACF right now, something that I completely forgot about until 2 weeks ago.

The answer that I got from the VA is basically 'A wizard does it'. The DoD/DA are the ones who determine how much you get and when and the VA just writes the check for it. The math they use is not disclosed.

In my case, I'm due for a back payment of $dollars, which is either no dollars, very many dollars, or somewhere inbetween.

Please let us know what comes of this as I've been able to find absolutely ZERO documentation relating to this that didn't amount to hearsay or "Well I heard..."

Axium
Jan 21, 2007
I begin terminal leave December 14th and will ETS February 11th. I'm rated 100% on ch33 and will begin school January 12th in Tennessee. Because of this overlap I'm assuming that I'll be considered active duty and not receive the BAH portion and just the tuition? Do I just notify the certifying official of my ETS date and expect ch33 BAH for 11-29 Feb? Also the difference between my current BAH here at Bragg and Nashville is almost $400, will I have the opportunity to change my BAH zip code for the time im on terminal since Nashville is my EAD?

Axium
Jan 21, 2007
First time using Ch33 so got a few quick questions:

1) Was certified in VA-ONCE Dec 1, and ebenefits shows my January month as being deducted from my benefit months. Still haven't got any word of them paying the school, how long should this realistically take if I've been certified and deducted the benefits for knocking at 40 days? Need that excess financial aid to "pay my bills" (read: buy poo poo I don't need).

2) I'm currently on terminal leave until my Feb 11 ETS date. I already have my DD214 in hand and turned this in to the VA office at school. The girl at the desk (who I'm pretty sure is south of 20 and is probably not associated with the VA at all) said I was "good" and I asked her if I would get BAH for Feb 12-28. She gave me an "uh-huh". Doesn't exactly have me brimming with confidence. Is the DD-214 all that needs to be submitted to be re-certified as being off of active duty or do I need to do something else? Hopefully I can see the actual VA guy rather than taking some random girls word for it.

3) I qualify for the Army College Fund. On my original benefits application I specified this and submitted a copy of my contract showing that I qualified. Since I don't qualify for BAH since I'm still active duty receiving full pay will I still get whatever monthly benefit I'll get from the ACF (though I understand it's complete witchcraft whatever that payment ends up being) ?

Axium
Jan 21, 2007

front wing flexing posted:

For 2 and 3 I can speak on personal experience. For number two, you will definitely get bah for Feb 12-28. However, you're likely to get back payed for it in April. Your march pay check may be for the entailment for Feb 12-28 or it will be zero in which case in April you'll get all of March plus Feb 12-28.

For number 3. you will not receive ACF while active duty, period. You can expect a backpay/prorated amount for Feb 12-28 and then normal payments for time you're enrolled until you exhaust your entitlements.

In order to receive your college fund, it may not be enough to contact VA. The payment for all branch's college funds comes from DFAS as it is a DoD entitlement, I had to notify my service headquarters to finalize the payment, since then it's been smooth sailing. Some of my friends only told VA and got paid, some only told service HQ and got paid, some told neither and got paid and some told both and DIDN'T get paid. You have to keep on the line with service HQ and VA to ensure you get your college fund. Both operators MAY act like you're a loving Martian but you'll get your 250-500 dollars extra a month if you're diligent.
If any private for-profit organization operated even half as inefficiently as the DoD and VA they would of been out of business, circa War of 1812.

Thankfully I had forethought to put away some money, as I see myself getting boned (and I WILL be the guy that gets boned).

Axium
Jan 21, 2007
So instead of receiving my usual $1970 for BAH this month someone seems to omitted a zero and I was paid out $197 instead. Estimated wait time on the help line is through the roof, waiting on them to call me back. 0 issues until now, I knew everything was going a little too well.

Axium
Jan 21, 2007

Jesus H Nyce posted:

If anyone is having the same issue as me, I just spoke with the VA and they said that the payment was for my first set of classes. The rest of my payment should be in by the 6th. The rep said they send out 2 different payments since I had a break in between classes and that the 2nd payment is taking longer due to something on the treasuries end.
This was the same conclusion that I got after talking to the VA. My $197 was my prorated BAH/ACF for May 1-4 which was the end of spring semester. My May term payment was processed on May 29 just waiting on the "3-5 business days" for it to post to my account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axium
Jan 21, 2007
Has anyone had any luck appealing financial aid decisions?

I've been awarded a piddling amount for my Pell grant this semester ($300) since it was based on my taxed income from last year on my FAFSA when I was still active duty. My financial situation is definitely much much different now however, especially since Ch33 benefits are not considered income to my knowledge. Everything I've seen says this is possible with the right paperwork, but that paperwork won't be available until September 10 according to the financial aid department for whatever reason.

Am I hosed for this semester or do I stand a good chance at getting a full award? It's completely rear end-backwards because I qualified for a near full award last semester because it was based on my 2010 tax return (yay untaxed deployment income).

• Locked thread