Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm looking at switching from AD to ANG with 10 years in at time of separation. How do my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits pay out in that situation? Is it the full 100% per my understanding of previous posts?

bloops fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How quickly does the Post 9/11 dollars pay out to the school and to the veteran from the start of the process?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How picky, in your experience, are colleges on accepting credits to fulfill the transfer student reqs? I ask this because we have a guy who separated recently and he said that the college he applied to accepted only a handful of stuff from his transcripts.

Is this a budget thing? Like schools wanting to get more money from the GI Bill or something else entirely?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

99% of colleges won't give you credit for classes that they do not teach themselves. I have an electrical mechanic submariner type Pokemon that I finally was able to get transcripts to the registrar for. He would have gotten upwards of 24 credits in electrical engineering courses - if my school had an EE program.

The most credits often enough come from the Navy, apparently their schools translate to college classes easier. Good friend of mine graduated this past spring due to the fact that he came in with 63 credits from the goddamn Navy schools he attended. He's a big fat jerk and I remind him of this often.

The same applies for non-military schooling as well. If they don't teach it at all, you can pretty much forget it. If you think something that was denied is close enough to something taught there, hopefully you can present a catalog entry or a syllabus or something. Appeals to individual departments vs. the admissions office can make all the difference in the world sometimes.

So basically find out the degree program, knock out the gen ed courses listed, and then send those transcripts in?

Hey, man, thanks for answering these questions. It's much appreciated.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So there's no proper "Separating out of the Military" thread but I do have a question that many of you probably had to deal with.

What the hell did you all do to prepare for going from full-time job to college student financially? Are some of you working now or living off of savings?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alright cool. I'm on target to hit 20K+. Didn't realize that unemployment could be collected while using the GI Bill. That makes things much easier.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sarah posted:

You can get pell grants too.

My family is very jealous of this whole situation. Brother-in-law made smug comments about being able to keep high grades while working full time and I coined the phrase "GI Bill envy".

I know I had an easier time in the service than some, but it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine and I earned by GI Bill dealing with stupid, childish bullshit just like everyone else. Civilians just don't get it.

Pell Grants? I'll have to google that. But thanks all for the info. That's one less thing to worry about as much.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How does the GI Bill work in conjunction with something like Illinois' Veterans Grants program? The IVG covers tuition and fees for either undergraduate or graduate study at all Illinois public colleges and universities up to 120 units. Would I still be able to collect on the BAH and book money?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Xanzar posted:

Having gone to U of I-Chicago for my undergrad, any left over grant money was refunded to me directly at the end of the semester. I'm not sure if the GI-Bill pays you directly, or the school, but IVG should cover the tuition+fees and the GI-Bill would either pay you directly, or the school (where it will be refunded at the end of the semster).

There could be a stipulation of the IVG, but I haven't read it. It says if you served a year, honorably, and were discharged, you get IVG benefits. Same as GI-Bill, if you served 3, discharged, you get paid. Basically, you should get paid.

OK cool. I was hoping there wasn't a lapse in BAH/book coverage.

How was your experience with U of I? I'm looking at the Champaign-Urbana campus right now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Spongebob Tampax posted:

UIUC is a big party school because it's surrounded by immense amounts of boring corn and livestock. There's only so much you can do in Champaign-Urbana before you realize how boring the place is, so everybody drinks. This is the consensus of the three family members of mine that went there (that weren't boring prudes).

So much corn...

I'd much rather be downtown than stuck in loving southern IL.

Got in touch with one of the veteran assistance guys for U of I. I should get some good info tomorrow.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I figured that I wouldn't be able to start school till Spring 2014 because my DOS is 23 Aug 13, but apparently you can start the process to get GI Bill benefits early while on terminal. How do I go about this so I can make the fall semester?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Two questions: do most decent state schools take in account veteran status when looking over admissions and am I hosed at all with applying to schools two credits short of a CCAF?

My concern is that a school won't accept enough of my credits to qualify me as a transfer student. I don't know what happens if that is the case.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Depends on the school, but generally yes.

You should be fine as far as being admitted as a transfer student. Now, I couldn't begin to tell you which credits will and will not transfer, unfortunately. Depending on a wide variety of things, either "most, but not all" to "wtf, did ANY transfer?" applies. The general cap is ~90 credits.

So what happens if a school doesn't accept the minimum? Am I turned down to attend or they just enroll me as a freshman? I'm seriously thinking worst case because I'm overly worrisome about this.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Well, depending on the school, yes you might be considered a freshman or sophomore. Some schools have exempted status for transfer students - like a class might be listed as "Juniors/Seniors only" except you can get an override because you have previous classes that will give you a fighting chance.

I really wish I could be specific, but it varies so wildly depending on the school :smith:

No worries dude. I just wanna be a college civvie student so bad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Are there any gotchya's to attending a school in a state that you're not a resident of or is it pretty much the same as attending an in-state school?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cryogenic Jesus posted:

Hope whatever school you chose does yellow ribbon program.

Eh, I'm expanding to the region as opposed to the state of IL because my top pick school is closing their aviation department. Just looking at options is all.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
First college application submitted to UIC. poo poo is getting real.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm assuming you mean Illinois proper. In any case :3:

Yea U of I - Chicago campus. Hipster broads and whatnot.

Vasudus posted:

Pretty soon you'll be screaming at the VA like the rest of us.

I cannot wait for the day to be angry at the VA for screwing me over on payments.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So University of Illinois has the requirement that transfer students send in ACT/SAT transcripts to them along with the admission application. Uh what the gently caress do I do if that poo poo is totally expired for me? Last time I took those was back in 2002. Are they really going to ask me to re-take both of them?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

It's possible that they have a nontraditional student waiver system - usually the prereq is being out of high school for 7 years. They may or may not advertise it, you might have to call admissions and speak to someone that isn't a secretary.

If you're going to take anything though, please take the ACT. It's accepted just about everywhere and it is overall easier on people like us. Not because it's objectively easier, because it's not, but rather because they test a variety of things that people tend to retain better.

You were right on about this. U of I basically told me that I'll pretty much get the waiver being a vet but didn't tell me that I'll get the waiver, if that makes any sense. I just had to shoot them an e-mail explaining my situation and the admissions counselor explained how they are 'very willing' to work with veterans.

So yea, Vasudus hits yet again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Today is a good day. I've completed applications for all four colleges I picked after thinking long and hard about it. Surely one of them is dumb enough to admit me. This thread has been a tremendous resource so thanks to all who answered my questions.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

The fun begins when all four accept you and you have to pick one.

That will be the best problem. My top pick is Southern Illinois for their aviation school. Every other college, I applied to for biochemistry or engineering.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Are there any figures for what loans that are available for a vet typically pay out? I'm working my budget here for next year so this would help me know what goes into my "banging college girls" (beer and rubbers) fund.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GD_American posted:

Check your BAH rate for your school's zip code at an E-5 with dependents rate.

Already got those numbers.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Does anybody have any experience dealing with the Yellow Ribbon program? I'm hoping it's pretty painless to get going.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have to get familiar with what DePaul has, but from what I've read they have unlimited slots. They really push a vet-friendly angle with admissions so we'll see how it goes push come to shove. The other good thing is I'm slated for the Fall 13 semester. Got plenty of time to work poo poo out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Full time costs $31,650.

The current CH33 cap is $18,300.

This leaves you with a gap of $13,350 per academic year.

Your BAH will be $1635 per month.

DePaul does not disclose their YR benefits publicly, so you have to contact their financial aid office. I would imagine they cover a good portion, though.

It's highly likely that you will have little to no out of pocket expense.

Well thanks for gathering that info for me. Wasn't expecting that. I'll be giving them a call here shortly.

^^^^^^ DePaul covers up to 12,500 after CH33 runs out in addition to the VA covering 12,500. Essentially, the school is a free ride.

bloops fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 5, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Just got an interview invite from loving Columbia University (for dental school)
I really hope I can get in. My life is starting to go places I never thought possible. Nine years ago, I enlisted in the Air Force with nothing but my clothes and 20 dollars. I was just so desperate to escape an intolerable situation. Now, I'm starting to feel almost unlimited optimism. Air Force, I didn't like you very much when I was in, but I have to be thankful that Post 9/11 GI bill. Even if I did have to harass the VA for months to finally get my benefits.

It's a good feeling isn't it?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FooGoo posted:

Has anyone used Post 9/11 for flight training?

Forgive me if this was already asked but I didn't read through all 44 pages of this thread and I didn't see it mentioned in the FAQ.

- How do I find out how much GI Bill I have left?
- Will it pay for only the training or will it also pay for associated costs (i.e. plane rental for required flight time)?
- Is there a way to get BAH if I go this route? Or will I have to get a full on degree at Embry Riddle or something?

GI Bill pays out as one would expect when that flight training is part of an institute of higher learning meaning a schoo like Purdue, OU, Southern Il, or Embry-Riddle. Can't answer the rest for you. Sorry bro.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
After 1 Jan, I'll be applying for FAFSA. Now is that good for all sorts of federal grants/free money or is there other paperwork to fill out? I was on the FAFSA site today and there was mention of other federal, state, or school benefits and poo poo. I just wanna make sure that if there's free money out there for me that I get it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I'm doing the first-time FAFSA registration where it asked if I could be interested in a work-study thing? What kind of work does that actually entail?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Easy work @ like your schools VA office/maybe a VA clinic/somehwere on campus. It pays federal minimum wage but isn't taxed and isn't reported as income. You can usually make your own hours. Pretty cake. Not that it really matters for filling out FAFSA afaik

Cool.

Is there any huge rush to get the FAFSA stuff all done ASAP? Like my current address will change at least once before school starts and I don't have my tax info for 2012 yet. Don't know if it's not a big deal to let it sit for a few more weeks till W-2's get released.

edit: I see the deadline is June 30th for 2013-2014 school year and for Illinois, it's ASAP after 1 Jan 2013.

bloops fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 3, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Spoke to my school's financial aid department today. They gave me the go ahead to file for FAFSA. poo poo was painless other than having to dig up my 2011 tax return.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Holy poo poo. DePaul awarded me 46 credit units from my transcripts. My awful math breaks that down to 30 semester hours. Best news I've gotten all day! And some of the classes transfer over!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Two things -- one for me and the other for a friend.

She's about to finish up an associates through her community college. That's cool and all but she is telling me the GI Bill will not pay for anything else after because she has completed her program. is that true or is someone telling her bad info?

Second, is Voc Rehab for vets who deployed to OIF/OEF or for vets who served during the time of those?!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

genderstomper58 posted:

Voc rehab is for people >10% disability, though you have to apply and be approved.

Vas please stop spreading the 20% thing I almost didn't apply because of that!!! ;)

Cool thank you moker I think you're a good dude.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

Any school that only recognizes two genders is obviously poo poo. My small liberal arts school recognizes 7!

gonna have to see those listed out here tia

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Be aware that earning a bachelors prior to getting out will put you at a loss for any FAFSA type benefits. Vas, correct me if I'm wrong there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
About the Yellow Ribbon program since I've dealt with this a lot recently--be sure to look if you're school has a specific number of slots to give out. Some schools break it out by degree, school (College of Comm, Science, etc) or just have a blank number. On that note, some school just don't give a poo poo and go, "Hey! You qualify for Post-9/11 then you qualify for Yellow Ribbon!"

This is something to be keenly aware of. Since I've made it known to a few vet buddies that I'm attending school on the YR program, they've given me their horror stories about qualifying for it one year, but not the next or some poo poo like that.

It's not a super complex thing to get and I'd wager most financial aid counselors are super willing to talk to a vet about it because really it's for us vets, now and future, to use. Schools like us; we're guaranteed money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just an idea--y'all think it would be beneficial to had a list of GiP dudes and what schools they attend for anyone who may be considering one on the list?

• Locked thread