Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Vasudus posted:

For those attending online-only schools, the GI Bill as of August 1st 2011 pays the national average of BAH, or ~1300 dollars a month. This change makes it immediately better than MGIB which was the single holdout.

I would also like to know more about this. I've read that you would only receive half of the standard BAH per the zip code, or that you'd receive something like half of hte national average which, as far as I can recall, was around 600 or so a month.

'Cause if the August 1 changes make it 1300 for entirely online courses, I'm totally basement dwelling with my parents and saving cash for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

The Rat posted:

Quick question. Once you start going to school on the Post 9/11 GI Bill, do you have to keep going through and get a 4 year degree within 4 years, or can you just use a year here or there? Like say if one were to do a year with one college, get fed up with it and go contracting for a while before coming back.

The reason I ask is that I heard that once you stop using it, you can't go back.

It is entirely possible this is bullshit, and I just wanted to confirm.

This is complete bullshit.

I attended two quarters at one school, withdrew for over a year, and then attended three more quarters at a different school, all of it covered under Post 9/11. As long as it's within the lifespan of your benefits you can start, stop, and change school(s) all you want.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
I'm getting set up to take solely online courses beginning at the end of August/beginning of September. The VA rep told me that receiving BAH for only online classes doesn't go into effect until October 1st, and couldn't tell me if it would apply to classes being already in progress on Oct 1, or only classes taken post-Oct 1.

Is he correct? If so, will I get BAH for classes begun in Aug/Sep beginning October 1st, or do I have to wait until the next quarter/semester whatever and receive it when I start new classes?

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Better than losin' out until January. Thanks!

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Pays at the beginning of the month for the previous month. Say classes start August 25th, you'll get paid September 1st for seven days of classes. Then the full amount on October 1st.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Mah monies posted:

An enrollment certification for the period(s) below has been submitted to the VA. 9/12/2011 to 12/3/2011 for Credit Hours: 0, Distance Hours: 4 9/12/2011 to 10/22/2011 for Credit Hours: 0, Distance Hours: 4 10/24/2011 to 12/3/2011 for Credit Hours: 0, Distance Hours: 4 This was submitted by a certifying official from the ITT TECHNICAL INSTITUTE - ONLINE on 9/30/2011. Your claim will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this message.

How does this work? I'm technically taking 12 credit hours in the semester, and I'm technically full time according to the school, but does the VA care? Am I going to get full BAH for the semester or partial since I'm only actually taking 8 credits at a time?

Also, please don't judge my choice of a lovely college.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
I know you've said once information is inputted into VA-ONCE, it takes around 1-2 weeks to receive anything. I'm assuming the email confirming receipt of enrollment information is just that, rather than saying information has been inputted. Can you give a rough timeframe of how long it takes between that confirmation being generated and information being inputted?

Or give me the answer I'd like and say "that means it has been inputted, enjoy your sweet cash in the next couple days!"

Edit: Ha, got a letter about an hour after I posted this telling me I'm getting 100% BAH and they've deposited my book stipend. So as soon as my tiny podunk bank gets around to it, I'm paid.

ItsNotAGirlName fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 12, 2011

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Jaysus posted:

When my VA rep puts me in for GI Bill stuff, will I get some sort of notification from the GI Bill?

I got an email when the VA received my enrollment information from my school, and then about two weeks later they sent me a letter saying what % I'm eligible for, how many months I have left, broke down exactly how much the VA is paying the school, showed what how much I'll be getting monthly for BAH and for how long, and told me they've sent me my book stipend. There was also a couple extra pages with information about the recent changes and about how to contact the VA and file appeals and whatnot.

So, yes, or at least you should.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Do you happen to know how I'd be able to find out my service disability rating? I know I'm 10% with the VA, but I'm fairly sure I'm higher with the Army, I just don't know exactly what percentage. And, of course, I don't know where all my paperwork went since I've moved four times since I was discharged.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Vasudus posted:

It should be on your DD214 if you were discharged on TDRL / or have a separation code 'SFK' which is what mine says.

Didn't even think about the DD214, yeah I'm pretty sure it's on there, and I know I have a copy of that handy. Thanks, this thread is awesome and you're awesome.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

RMS Ghost Rider posted:

For the online only BAH, are they going to pay at the end of November?

I'm receiving online only BAH, and I got paid this month. Hit my account on October 31st, with an effective date of November 1st. Buuuuut it was about 150 bucks less than what the VA rep I called told me it would be. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Is there a reason that I'm getting paid in two split amounts at the beginning of the month for my BAH benefits? It's happened twice now, in December and this month. Both times I've gotten a small amount, 90~ the first time and 70~ this time, and then the rest one to two days later. The amounts equal up to what I should be receiving, it's just a little disconcerting to be expecting about 650 and see a sub-100 deposit.

• Locked thread