Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Quick question. Once you start going to school on the Post 9/11 GI Bill, do you have to keep going through and get a 4 year degree within 4 years, or can you just use a year here or there? Like say if one were to do a year with one college, get fed up with it and go contracting for a while before coming back.

The reason I ask is that I heard that once you stop using it, you can't go back.

It is entirely possible this is bullshit, and I just wanted to confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Good to know. Thanks! :)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

drat, and I just came into this thread with questions about that 12 month extension.

I used a year on the MGIB from 2008-09, then stopped and went contracting. Never filed any paperwork to swap to the Post 9/11. I'm looking at being done contracting by next summer, and then maybe going to community college to get an associate's degree, then if need be, transferring that over to university to finish up a bachelor's degree. I'm guessing that I'll have to take some extra classes since not all of them will overlap for the bachelor's degree.

The $50k Army College Fund is on my enlistment contract, and I did the $600 buy-up while I was still in. I'm thinking that being able to take an extra 12 months of GI bill time is a huge boon given this set of circumstances, especially since a lot of the MGIB time will be taken up by community college.

Does it make sense to do it that way, or am I smoking crack?

Also, you mention that you can apply for that 12 month extension on Ch33. Do people ever get denied on that application, or is it more or less guaranteed?

Thanks for keeping this thread up to date. The document from the VA that I read regarding the above stuff was dated 2010, and I wasn't sure if that was still the case or not.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hm, okay. Didn't know that a year was counted as 7 months. Always thought it was counted as 9 months since the GI bill is structured around a 4 year degree plan.

I laid out the tuition costs for 2 years at the community college + 2 years at the university in a spreadsheet, then compared it to how much each GI bill would pay. (Subtracting the tuition from the old GI bill's total.) You're right, the Post 9/11 comes out ahead by about $13,000.

Can you clarify regarding being backpaid for the ACF/buy-up? I was under the impression from things like this that going Post 9/11 would effectively nix my buy-up contribution and ACF. Not that it's a huge deal, it already paid for itself in the one year I went to school on the old GI bill.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Awesome, thanks.

Since I was initially certified for fall 2008 through spring of 2009, am I gonna have to get recertified when I go back?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Random question while I'm thinking of it. This may have been answered previously, but it's been a long while since I read this thread.

In my enlistment contract, I had $50k Army College Fund. While in, I also paid for that $600 kicker.

I just swapped over to the Post 9/11 for use starting this fall. (I ran a spreadsheet and compared old vs. new, and new won out.) Is there any way I can squeeze some extra cash for BAH out of the VA via the Army College Fund, or am I stuck with regular E5 w/ dependants BAH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Vasudus posted:

That's exactly what I did, except for the 600 top-off.

What you need to do is take any documentation that says you get the ACF and send it to the VA via their 'Ask a Question' feature. What I had to do was go on iPERMS and download the pdf of my original contract, which somewhere said that I was enlisting for 50k ACF. I sent that to the VA and got a response back about a week later saying they were processing it.

I then got a letter about 20 days later with two checks - one for the ACF when I was on the MGIB, and one for the ACF since I've been on Post 9/11. From that point onward, they gave me an additional ~300 dollars on my checks until my benefits were exhausted.

Remember that the ACF isn't going to be exactly 50k, they use crazy voodoo math to decide how much they give you. The higher your BAH, the lower the amount that ACF boosts it by.

Just did this. I'm not gonna start using the GI bill till the fall (gently caress using it up for summer courses at a community college), so hopefully they have it squared away by then.

Thanks! Very glad you're here to answer these kinds of questions.

• Locked thread