Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
Don't want to poo poo it up, but I just wanted to know what school you're going to Vasudus. Sounds like a legit rear end place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

HClChicken posted:

How do we find out if out if the school you are looking at has a veterans office?

You go in and ask where the veteran's office is.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

HClChicken posted:

That's assuming the school I want to attend is within driving distance.Also assuming I can get in touch with someone over the phone that won't tell me whatever they want.

Is there a listing of VA friendly schools/ how to get in touch with each of them.

It really is as easy as going to their website, calling any phone number you can find that is associated with the school and saying "Oh, could you connect me to the Veteran's Affairs office?"

Schools aren't like military recruiters. They aren't going to tell you whatever they want. They'll probably not want to deal with you at all, especially if it is the enrollments office, because they hate snot nosed little kids. So, they'll gladly pass you along to the VA office.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Chicken, where are you trying to go? I have talked to VA dudes for all of my schools with no problem. I feel like you're doing something wrong.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

I really just can't even think about the possibility of the Navy Seal thread going ahead of this thread and this one hitting the second page. There are too many people who need to know their benefits out there, so I'm bumping this poo poo up.

Can't wait to start in September and get my Pell Grant/GI Bill/Florida Prepaid Scholarship my grandpa paid for 16 years ago along with unemployment and a Reserves paycheck. loving Jesus it is going to be great.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

MY WIFE makes 12 an hour without college.

Admin assistant.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Move your discussion to the civ thread or something gents, I came home and saw the replies and thought there was something productive to be done.

:argh:

True, sorry! Bring the bullshit talk to the civvie thread!

So I'm getting pell grant, reserve pay, unemployment, Florida prepaid college plan my grandpa got me 7 years ago and post 9/11 in September. I am excited.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Rrail posted:

I thought you were staying in Seattle?

I am, but my grandpa is a Florida resident and he bought me a 2 year plan from Florida Prepaid before I graduated high school.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Alright, so this is a question I asked my VA guy.

quote:

I was wondering if the GI Bill paid for my tuition and how I would go about getting any leftovers if there are any. I currently have a Pell Grant, GI Bill and a Prepaid College Plan paying my tuition. I just expected to see another check from the GI Bill or something of the sort, because the Prepaid plan is supposed to pay tuition completely for 2 years.

His response:

quote:

We do not report tuition and fees to the VA until end of add/drop period. Any refund based on payment from VA won’t be until November.

That seem about right?

I got a check for about $1585 because I got all of the financial aid back after my Prepaid Plan paid off the first quarter. I would expect there to be a second check for the GI Bill payment. So, I'm guessing what he means is I'll be getting that in November at the end of the quarter, basically.

Just wondering if that's a normal process...

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

It's technically correct, it's just the opposite of what I do. I process VA payments first, grants second, which means the grants go to a negative balance which is paid to you.

Looks like your school does it grants first, VA second, which also creates a negative balance. It's just opposite.

I see, so I'll just have to wait until November for that GI Bill money. You should come work for my school.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Also, I would like to point out that telling Unemployment people about going to school is a major pain in the rear end and don't ever do it.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty poo poo system in regards to getting the veteran their money fastest. My school is dishing out grants/FA this Thursday to people A-M and Friday for N-Z. They know the federal government is good for it, they know my paperwork is correct, so they don't gently caress around for a month.

The biggest difference that a school can have is do they have an actual vet office run by someone who knows what they are doing. Currently only three four year schools in my state have a full time vet rep that is also a real vet. Usually it's some douchebag in financial aid or the bursar's office that doesn't understand anything about dealing with Vets/guard/reserves/etc.

drat, I wish it was that way, but I have the prepaid plan and it got me that big check early on. I can't tell if the guy that does my VA stuff is just old and wrinkly because he's old, or because the military wore him down. He sure as poo poo looks like he could have been a Sergeant Major at some point.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

TLG James posted:

Hmmmm.... I final outted yesterday and there is nothing in ebenefits nor did anyone mention it.
I got mine 7 days after my DOS. Air Force.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

TLG James posted:

That kinda sucks... A lot of fed jobs want that..

I think like...every single one of them? It's retarded and you can't even get your unemployment until you have the originals.

Luckily, if you're trying to go to school, they'll accept your DD214WS.

You can check on the status at 1-800-525-0102. They can tell you if it is in the process of being mailed or if it has been mailed already.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

So, I take it back, telling Unemployment about school was the best idea ever.

Dude just processed me through and I don't have to actively search for a job. They're paying me $525 a week for 6 months and I qualify for 6 extra months of that if I apply for the "Training Benefits" program WA has. Don't know what other states require, but they're paying me to go to school and it's loving sweet. It helps that my degree isn't basket weaving, too. I just had to talk to the advisor guy and tie in Computer Science with my Loadmaster career field from the Air Force and how it would make me a more desirable employee.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Roving Reporter posted:

You just have to state that you need X and sell it to them.

This truly works for anything you're getting from state/federal government.

If you can prove your case, you will get what you want.

And yeah, boda, it's loving sweet.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Just note that it varies from state to state. Here in CT you have to prove your classes will not interfere with finding work etc.

I meant to add that. This is ONLY a Washington thing that I'm talking about. I have no clue about any other state.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

God drat you, USAA. No BAH yet. Glad I have a poo poo ton in my account, but I like to see it grow!

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Welp, haven't received the BAH.

I emailed my VA guy and am waiting for his response. Should I call the number you posted?

1-888-442-4551.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah, I haven't had been able to talk to anybody yet, because the poo poo has me on hold for about 40 minutes at a time and I have to go to class or go do something important. This poo poo sucks.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

The Air Force really sucks. They didn't tell the VA that I'm out yet, so I had to scan a copy of my DD214 and send it to them via Submit a Question. Hopefully the backpay comes pretty quick.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

How long does it usually take to get a response from "Submit a Question" on GI Bill's website?

I sent in my DD214 on there on the 4th and haven't heard anything except the original robot response.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

When my VA rep puts me in for GI Bill stuff, will I get some sort of notification from the GI Bill?

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

I got an email when the VA received my enrollment information from my school, and then about two weeks later they sent me a letter saying what % I'm eligible for, how many months I have left, broke down exactly how much the VA is paying the school, showed what how much I'll be getting monthly for BAH and for how long, and told me they've sent me my book stipend. There was also a couple extra pages with information about the recent changes and about how to contact the VA and file appeals and whatnot.

So, yes, or at least you should.

Awesome, exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

This is hitting the bottom of the page, gotta get it back up top.

I need to go to a school where they don't wait until the last add/drop date for the GI Bill tuition payment. At the same time, it might be better for me because I get 2 big checks at different times. But I want it all NOW.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

I have USAA too! Not paid. :(.

It was late last time, too.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't get October BAH until the 5th. I'm not going to freak out until then.

There really should be a way to track your payments.

My school hasn't been paid yet, either. They don't put it in for the GI Bill until after the last add/drop date. Maybe they are doing that for you, too? My VA guy told me that I would see anything until November. Didn't give me a date, just "sometime in November."

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

I don't understand what the gently caress is going on with me.

I also can't get a hold of the VA. Called the number about 16 different times today an hour apart. Just kept telling me I couldn't get through.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Use the Ask a Question feature of the online site. Takes 2-3 business days, but you get an answer in writing.

I finally got through on the phone. They said my BAH was issued on the 31st of October. Still not in my account. It has my book payment in there, though. Should be $500, correct?

They also released the school payment to the treasury, but the treasury hasn't released the payment to me. Don't know when that will/should happen.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

might've sent it by check if it's your first payment.
2nd payment and it was direct deposited the first time on the 5th.

I hope it isn't always this late.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Got paid just now. Not satisfied with the wait. Gonna have to make sure I always have rent in my account since they pay me AFTER the grace period. Just glad I have a good amount saved.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Roving Reporter posted:

I try to have one months rent set aside, especially near/during the start of a new semester. Sometimes certifying is painfully slow and other times, it works fine.

Yeah, I definitely have this set aside, it's just a bitch.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

mhachtx posted:

Hey guys, I start terminal January 9th and I start class the 17th, what do I need to do in order to get the GI bill set up. Everything I see on line says I need to contact an ESO, but I can't figure out how to get hold of one.

Apply for benefits online at eBenefits. I applied basically right when I started terminal, but I had 3 months of terminal and didn't start class for 4. You want to apply sooner than later to make sure it all works out for you on time. I could have sworn I read somewhere that it can take up to 10 weeks for it all to be processed, but I'm not 100%.

I don't want to say too much, because Vasudus will tell you everything you need to know. But you can at least get your application started.

I went to http://www.gibill.va.gov/ and clicked "Apply for Benefits," then just followed directions from there.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

They paid me a day early. gently caress yes.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Last working day of the month brosef. You got paid late if you got paid today.

Got paid the day before this post. But I've been getting paid on the 5th/6th.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Still, goodbye credit card.

NO better feeling.

I have 2 more and will never use one for more than "pay off this instant" poo poo ever again.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Jesus God drat Christ, man, what classes are you taking?!

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

2 calc classes and Physics (electromagnetic). Curious to see how demanding they are in a CC setting.

drat, I'm going to have to spend the same amount in about 3 quarters if that is a normal price for those classes. Gotta start saving now!

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Huh, so I guess I'm going to have to start going to work again soon.

The whole 6 months of extra unemployment is going away after February, unless I qualified for it before like the 23rd or something. My 6 months runs out in March. I guess it's possible for it to be moved up again, but drat that sucks if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You mean the 6 on top of the original 6 right?

Yeah, original 6 will always be there, but the 6 month extension that we usually get is on the line right now.

• Locked thread