Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

The Rat posted:

Quick question. Once you start going to school on the Post 9/11 GI Bill, do you have to keep going through and get a 4 year degree within 4 years, or can you just use a year here or there? Like say if one were to do a year with one college, get fed up with it and go contracting for a while before coming back.

The reason I ask is that I heard that once you stop using it, you can't go back.

It is entirely possible this is bullshit, and I just wanted to confirm.

Couldn't find confirmation from the VA website I skimmed but im 99% sure you can start and stop using it at any time for 15 years. What you may be referring to is the fact that if you use Post 9/11 you can't convert it to Montgomery at a later time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
paging dr. human being

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I never took the SAT/ACT and was accepted to a state university because I had been out of high school >5 years

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
To clarify, I was admitted as a new freshman, not a transfer student and the SAT/ACT were still waived

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Rrail posted:

Like on what grounds did they admit you? What did they judge you based off of?

High school GPA I guess.....they didn't outright accept me to mechanical engineering but "engineering undeclared" which I was able to change after a year of good grades and poo poo

I don't know if military experience had anything to do with it but of the 64 credits they "took" zero applied to my degree(I had 130 total from the military(lol))

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I really hope the VA doesn't find out I stopped going to my first summer class but I'm sure they loving will :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

front wing flexing posted:

Why did you stop going?

Nothing that will be seen as legitimate if they find out

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

That sucks, sorry dude.

Isn't there a separate code they put on your grade if you stop going though? I was given an F but got an email that I'm supposed to pay back a small grant so I dunno :x

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

If it's reported as an F, you should be fine. Here are things the VA won't pay for:

W - Withdraw during withdraw period, student elected, no professor approval required
WP/WF - Withdraw after withdraw period but before term ended, professor approved
N - Never attended

Your grades aren't reported to the VA under normal circumstances. If it's one of those three codes above, the certifying official is required to notify the VA who will then gobble that cash back up they paid the school.

In a regular semester period if you get a W, WP/WF or N but it keeps you full time it isn't reported. So if you were 15CR, withdrew from one 3CR class, but stayed at 12 you would be fine for billing purposes. Now if you went from 12->9 then you switched to part time and there is some paperwork to be adjusted.

Thanks for the explanation man, you're the poo poo :hfive:

Also thank god for grade replacements, my only other failing grade turned into an A and boosted my GPA like .2

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

Yes, you qualify for Voc Rehab. Start the process at gibill.va.gov.

The main difference is that the services clump disability together, while the VA rates on a per-injury basis. The Army didn't give me poo poo for the fact that my hearing is now terrible, or the tons of wear-and-tear injuries I suffered. I got my rating from them due to the fact that I had PTSD like a motherfucker and shrapnel injuries.

Because the VA rates for many things the services do not, that is why you need a higher overall percentage from the VA to qualify for voc rehab. It doesn't mean you have to be more broken, just a different kind of broken. If that makes sense.

Forgive me for most likely making you sound like a broken record but I'm pretty much in the same boat in a year when my GI Bill runs out. The other poster said he got his 10% through the VA after he got out, so how is that rated by the service?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

HClChicken posted:

Yes, half on each.

Maybe I'm missing something but CH33? I get paid once a month on the first

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
They took away 3,000 from my refund for some reason randomly....had to play phone tag for 45 minutes to get it back. Be sure to stay on top of y'alls poo poo because they seem to make plenty of errors often

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Kanish posted:

On the subject of pell grants , my old va rep at my other school was awesome and took care of everything for me and I was just getting checks in the mail, pell grant being one of them. My question is, other then filling out my fafsa( it gave me a projected pell grant amount) what do I need to do to get the money ? I've already paid tuition in full so i have no balance with my school.

My school automatically has any grants/loans placed in your school account and typically after the VA pays the school you get them as a refund. Not sure for other places but this is how mine works

e: Call your school's VA office assuming it has one :p

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 15, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

If I'm still in my first year out, actually, first six months, would I qaulify for FAFSA since I made money last year?

You mean the Pell Grant? The FAFSA is what you fill out in order to determine eligibility for grants and loans. I got out 6 months into a year as an E-5 and still got a Pell Grant, probably about half of the maximum. Thank goodness for not counting BAH as income ;)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

You should, though at a reduced rate. It's considered non-taxable income. I personally think it's bullshit that we have to list it, but rules are rules :(

Do we??? :stare:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

Yes, under non-taxed income. There is a field that specifically lists something along the lines of "Veteran's compensation" or some such.

Oh ok, I'm only 10% anyways so hopefully I don't get boned too hard. I doubt making <200 a month would exactly jump me into some other bracket

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm sure this has been asked befire, possibly by my slow self but how do you all report GI Bill/grants/disability pay/BAH on taxes and FAFSA? Last year I got a 1000 dollar tax credit for education with no reported income so I'm scared that I did something wrong. I don't get any sort of tax forms for any of this poo poo except something from my school(1098 I think)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

You don't report GI bill, grants or disability as they are all tax-free.

:hfive:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, your BAH will be recalculated to be 80% of what you are currently getting (10/12=83%).

You have a calc class that's worth 5 credits? Holy poo poo.

For some reason my university precal was 5 hours, made no sense whatsoever because it shouldve been more condensed. He might be at a place where they do calc 1-3 in 2 classes instead

I literally cant muster the give a gently caress to care about diff eq again god plain rear end math is so boring and needlessly difficult considering literally only one of my engineering classes has it as a prereq

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

hannibal posted:

When I was an undergrad calc 1 and 2 were both 5 hour classes. (1998)

I much prefer how they are at my school, 3 3 hour classes. 5 days a week of math is too much :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

elite_garbage_man posted:

I still have math for about a year and a half straight to fill my TAG requirement for the Comp science/engineering track, and I just finished my second straight semester of maths today. Luckily I can still knock out other areas of study and maintain a full load while I slowly chip away at it.

loving up those couple years in JC (before the military) really screwed me. Atleast I'm getting great grades now. I got my first college 'A' grade today, and it wasn't even a basket weaving class!

I've had to retake all 3 math classes I've taken since calc III. Perhaps it is time to give a slight gently caress(yes I'm partially to blame but seriously math professors are all terrible just let people with masters that can actually teach do it!!!)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

elite_garbage_man posted:

I believe it, dude. I had a horrible teacher in my fall '11 math class. She was the most scatter brained, disorganized, and indecisive professor I have come across.

It was truly unbearable.

Yeah, my universities' department seems to have 2 kinds of math professor: person that can literally barely speak english(lol bigot) or old rear end tenured dudes that don't give a poo poo about teaching. Usually getting a TA is your best bet to actually learning in class which says quite a bit.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I am enjoying my upper math education right now by a factor of about*1000 right now compared to PSU.

At this CC its like something important, where at PSU your math experience needed to be as horrifying and indecipherable as possible to weed out the riff raff. If these three classes serve as any representative sample size, I wish I could go back in time and do the 2 lovely years at CC. The learning experience would have been so much different :(

Whats it like to have a junior level math course with less than 50 people in it?? I'd like to know :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I plan on cramming my entire pre-calc poo poo into summer semester. After this last algebra class I just need pre-calc 1&2 instead of it being broken down into trig and geometry. Then I start the Calc and analytic geometry 1-3 cycle of doom.

Is it a dumb idea to cram that much pre-calc into 9 weeks? I get the feeling I'm going to hate life by mixing those with general chemistry and economics.

Nah dude, not trying to sound smug because my math isn't awesome but precal isn't too bad at all and IMO barely prepares you for calculus at all. As soon as you learn a lot of calc all you need to know is their rules and algebra. Some geometry is needed but not a great deal IMO, poo poo you'll be taught in precal anyways.

Why do you need algebra? Seriously not being a dick but if you can bypass them do, its just basic math.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Let's just say my academic record sucks because I was a lovely student that didn't care. I got a GED early, averaged my way through a trade school, and intended on working on heavy equipment for the rest of my life, then discs started letting go in my back and I put an end to that.

So yeah, I need my basic algebras, but I'll have those wrapped up this semester, then it's pre-calc 1&2 in 9-10 weeks. I'm fortunate enough to be married to a high school math teacher so I need to really start getting some help from her when we have downtime. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a white board up in the garage.

I'm pretty comfortable with where I am right now, just reassuring myself that it's not a bad idea to take both pre-calcs in that short of a time frame.

I think you'll be good dude, they arent too bad at all

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It would still be there if WSU had accepted me :cry:

Our old Qb saw me wearing WSU poo poo at the gun range :smug:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
My GI Bill is almost up, luckily I still have Hazelwood Act :smug:

In before "yeah but you have to live in Texas"

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

We have a kansas service members scholarship, essentially like the G.I bill but covers up to 100% tuition both semesters and divvied out between all who request it.

what sucks about it? Only for undergrads, drat you higher level education...

Yeah that kinda blows, I think ours works for grad school, only stipulation being that youve used up the G I Bill entirely

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

t_bright posted:

gently caress, I need money really badly. Im gonna start selling crack. Crack for Books. I sell you crack, and then you give me money to buy some books. And some BAH please? Thank you VA

http://cuthulan.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/military-welfare.jpg

Jk man sounds lovely :( If it makes you feel any better once mine started it has been nothing but painless so you have that to look forward to

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Rrail posted:

Wait, is there a way around that?

There are a couple cases but I think its too late for you, residency is in the FAQ

http://texas-veterans.com/education/hazlewood-faq

AFAIK Illinois is the only other state that has one

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Rrail posted:

My dad was a resident of illinois, is a veteran with 100% disability, and I may end up going to school there. I wonder if I can get free tuition out of that state.

Ours has a stipulation that you must be out of GI Bill benefits before using it, so if you can use that one it might not be until your GI Bill runs out, assuming they go by similar rules. Probably best to look up Illinois rules since they're separate programs and I don't have a clue if one was modeled after the other.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Relentlessboredomm posted:

None of the worthwhile states to live in actually have anything as helpful as the Hazelwood act.

So why doesnt florida have one?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

HeyEng posted:

Alright cool. I'm on target to hit 20K+. Didn't realize that unemployment could be collected while using the GI Bill. That makes things much easier.

Yeah, I found this out when it was too late because I had HEARD you couldn't collect unemployment while a full time student, was too loving dumb to check for myself and missed out on a ton of cash. :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

HeyEng posted:

Pell Grants? I'll have to google that. But thanks all for the info. That's one less thing to worry about as much.

You fill out your FAFSA(after your do this year's tax return) and get grants like the Pell Grant, pretty sweet deal. I usually get another state one and a school one also.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I was nervous about finals week.

And then I ran the numbers and realized I'll pass all of my classes even if I don't bother getting out of bed. Can't say I've ever been able to do that before.

Diff eq try #3 here I come!!!! :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Mandatory attendence is loving stupid, a lot of my professors take attendance as a CYA though in case students whine to mommy and daddy about failing since a lot of the time its because people dont show up

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Finals done, A- in Diff Eqs had. Still waiting on the rest to pour in (if I get a B in the others I'll be over the moon).

SEE MOKER THERE IS HOPE YOU NEGATIVE NANCY

Gj man :) I gave up on this semester so summer I will be try #3

5 tests this week gently caress my life~~

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I feel marginalized because everyone refers to community colleges in derisive terms around here. They don't teach machining at universities, ya'll :(

Note: I don't feel marginalized

CCs also have better student to instructor ratios and are cheaper so gently caress those people(I've only been to a major university and it is way too fuckin expensive without the GI bill)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Jaysus posted:

Man, I was going to take it pretty easy this summer, but they just added a Precalculus II course with the best math teacher in school and an engineering course that I need.

So much for the easy summer!

Ill help u babe :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
In Texas they explicitly state your federal poo poo(GI bill) must be out first so you can't really do that here afaik

• Locked thread