Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Avshalom posted:

absolutely ridiculous

(they were both moulting when these photos were taken so they look kind of haggard)

GORGEOUS GIRLS THEY ARE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding a limping chicken?

Queen Runt, my head hen of two, has somehow overnight hurt one of her legs to the extent that she's mostly lying down with it extended, or balancing on the other leg with the claws curled up. She's obviously distressed but we can't visibly see any cuts, breaks, bites, whatever.

She did spend a day last week limping, but she was still scratching, digging, and the next day back to basically being everything a dumb ground bird could be. We wrote that off as maybe a bruise or a strain. She has no grace whatsoever, and could easily have fallen off her perch.

But now the problem has returned and its far worse: tail feathers are down, eyelids drooped, only sporadic interest in grass/grain/snails/worms.

Any suggestions on what to try or look for?

Edit: bollocks, it's going to be Marek's, isn't it?

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 11, 2016

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

He was not successful.

Second fucker I've found in there in three weeks. t:mad:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Hellacopter posted:

He was not successful.

Second fucker I've found in there in three weeks. t:mad:

So that little poo poo just slides in and (tries to) swallow an egg? Oh hell no.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Holy poo poo. He really wants that egg!

What kind of snake is that? Rat snake?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sure looks like it!

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
Rat snake, black snake, I dunno. I let farmer dad-in-law relocate it somewhere on their property so it can go about its snake ways. :ohdear:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
send the little snake to my farm, if the chook eggs are too big for him he can just slither on and try the quails

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

ynohtna posted:

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding a limping chicken?

Queen Runt, my head hen of two, has somehow overnight hurt one of her legs to the extent that she's mostly lying down with it extended, or balancing on the other leg with the claws curled up. She's obviously distressed but we can't visibly see any cuts, breaks, bites, whatever.

She did spend a day last week limping, but she was still scratching, digging, and the next day back to basically being everything a dumb ground bird could be. We wrote that off as maybe a bruise or a strain. She has no grace whatsoever, and could easily have fallen off her perch.

But now the problem has returned and its far worse: tail feathers are down, eyelids drooped, only sporadic interest in grass/grain/snails/worms.

Any suggestions on what to try or look for?

Edit: bollocks, it's going to be Marek's, isn't it?

Well, poo poo...sounds like it. :( Is she a home-hatched bird or a hatchery bird? Most hatchery birds have been innoculated, so if she's one you can still hold out hope for an injury...if it IS an injury I'd isolate her and give her a peaceful spot to heal. Good luck!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I made a video for the first day we were able to get the chickens outside!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7jIBSrbk8M

Once we get the overhead netting in and the electric fence wired up they'll have a lot more space too.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

CountFosco posted:

Once we get the overhead netting in and the electric fence wired up they'll have a lot more space too.

so adorable. Listen to those soft peeps they still have :) Thank you for sharing!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Awww, they sound so excited and happy to be out!

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

CountFosco posted:

enjoy the grass while it lasts

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Our plan is to use the electric fence and overhead netting to move their grazing from place to place but we'll see how that works out depending on how much energy we have.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

One of my Black Sex Links waddled up to me, pushed her chest against my shin and laid an egg at my feet. It was a little awkward for everyone I think.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

One of my Black Sex Links waddled up to me, pushed her chest against my shin and laid an egg at my feet. It was a little awkward for everyone I think.

You're married now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From TradGames.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You're married now.

Exactly as I had feared.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You're married now.

AND you have custody of the kid.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

AND you have custody of the kid.

Alright now it's really weird since I don't have a rooster so my kid is in the refrigerator. Don't call CPS on me :ohdear:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Shifty Nipples posted:

Alright now it's really weird since I don't have a rooster so my kid is in the refrigerator. Don't call CPS on me :ohdear:

What have you done with Sheldon?!?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shifty Nipples posted:

Generally you talk with your spouse about an abortion instead of forcing it, sicko :rolleyes:.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We have chickens!!!

We got 5 pullets last week, and I have been bringing my laptop into the coop to read peer reviewed articles to the gawkiest flock everyday. Working as a researcher is very glamorous, you see.

Our house agreed on Harry Potter themed names but we need to get together to finalize. So far, the black comet is Sirius Black. No one can tell the two white leghorns apart, so we've been calling them both Minerva. I've been calling the gold sex link "Goldie" and the Rhode Island Red "Rhodie." They each have different personalities except maybe the Minervas.

They each take a turn on my lap and snuggle up with me each night before going into the henhouse to sleep. I tell them each they are a good chicken and to sleep well.

They are three months old and still on baby food from the feed store. I give them a mouthful of whatever veg I am eating because that's what I did with chickens when I was a child. I hear I shouldn't give them too much because they could get upset stomachs. When can they get garden scraps?

Oh and their voices are like half developed, so it's all, "Peep peep peep HONK," and then they all look surprised. I expect eventually they will bokbok like chickens but for now I tease them that they are part goose.

Pictures to follow! (How to img from phone?)

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 17, 2016

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Fierce!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

(I hope I have included images appropriately! Please let me know if I should fix anything)

Finally they are here! Goldie:

Rhodie:

Sirius Black

Minerva

The chux do not seem to mind my happy cat shirt!

Snuggles before bed

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
My chickens don't roost, they just dogpile in the corner of the coop. Stupid birds.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I... Uh...
Capable just laid her first (that I've handled) soft egg and it was horrifying to pick up. It felt wrong! It looked kinda OK then I grabbed it and my world flipped over and now I'm weirdly horrified.
This is a normal totally ok thing that happens sometimes, yes?
She's gettin' up there in age, so I imagine that's part of the deal.

What do you even do with a soft-shelled egg? rubbish it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
one of my parents chickens i've been looking after has decided to lay and sit somewhere that isn't the coop or in their garden and last night she didn't come back to the coop and i couldn't find her. fortunately she survived but today seems much the same and is there anything i can do other than just hope that somehow a fox doesn't get her?

edit: i've done some extensive hunting for her and have no idea where shes managed to hide so in the unlikely event i see her again shes getting locked in the coop/run for a few days in the hopes she might go back to it

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 22, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ugh. My idiots have roundworm. Hit them with panacur yesterday, I'm going to hit them again next week.

Why is it, exactly, we can't eat these eggs? Will we just worm ourselves too?

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ugh. My idiots have roundworm. Hit them with panacur yesterday, I'm going to hit them again next week.

Why is it, exactly, we can't eat these eggs? Will we just worm ourselves too?

Pretty much. It's probably not enough to dose you but I can't imagine livestock deworming drugs are any good for you. (Egg residue considerations during the treatment of backyard poultry)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We've done worming about every 6 months. We don't eat the eggs for about a week. Haven't had any issues. With that and some of the Adams Flea & Tick stuff to destroy the rear end off the lice they sometimes get, we've been pretty pest-free for the last year or so.

Thanks to everyone who recommended the flea & tick stuff. It works a treat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, this has been a rough morning.

We just built an expanded run, taking great care to secure every bit as much as possible because we had bad experiences before.

We had six chickens in there, and they were doing great. Having a whee of a time jumping around all the different levels, checking it out, making it their own.

Everything seemed to work out for the past three days. This morning, there are six headless chickens. :(

Just yesterday, they were all hopping up on my shoulders.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
What kind of screening did you use? Any idea what got them?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh god, I'm so sorry for you. :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tad SG posted:

What kind of screening did you use? Any idea what got them?

Hardware cloth like crazy. Overlapped and wired, buried partway with rocks stacked in front, and a double-locked, hardware-cloth reinforced screen door. I literally cannot figure out how anything would have gotten in... hell, there's been a bumblebee trapped in there for two days. investigations are ongoing.

Pretty sure it was a raccoon, we saw one of our chickens get its head lopped off last year before we learned the importance of fine mesh (and how chickens will sleep in the stupidest places instead of going inside their coop)

spookygonk posted:

Oh god, I'm so sorry for you. :(

Thank you

This is unusually lovely because 1.) we thought we'd figured it out, since our last run worked for a year and this one was carefully-planned and worked 3 days and 2.) we raised them from chicks, so they run up to us and jump on us and eat from our hands, not like our other lovely chickens who are still alive because they're in the old, smaller run still.

7am crying wife is not good fun

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

I'm so sorry, that's just awful.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Brawnfire posted:

Hardware cloth like crazy. Overlapped and wired, buried partway with rocks stacked in front, and a double-locked, hardware-cloth reinforced screen door. I literally cannot figure out how anything would have gotten in... hell, there's been a bumblebee trapped in there for two days. investigations are ongoing.

It sounds like a headscratcher, please keep us updated with what you find out. Our big predator loss some years ago came through a vent under the roof of the coop that at the time "I was going to close up any day now". So they don't just dig and enter from below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I'm so sorry. :( That's the worst feeling.

I know I've heard that raccoons will grab a chicken with their little hands and pull whatever they can through the mesh -- could that be what happened here? They got kinda mesh-decapitated?

We've lost so many chickens recently to the Coyote Tax. I'm hoping the coyotes will get bored now that the chickens aren't easy targets and move on to the chickens of our dumbass townie neighbor who legit tries to scythe his 7-acre property.