Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What's a good setup for a brooder? What do I put on the bottom? Shavings? What kind of chicken breed is a good egg layer but quiet? When can the chick move from the brooder to the chicken coop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I live in California. I really don't want to keep chicks inside for that long.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Are there places where I can buy adult hens, or is looking for them on craigslist inadvisable?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
So I got some chickens! I got a buff orpington and an americauna. Let me know what you think of my setup. They seem to scratch the ground a lot. They peck at their food but I'm not sure they're eating it. I hope that the bottom isn't slippery, please let me know if the shavings are enough:

http://imgur.com/a/himaO

The images are huge so I just linked to the album. We also built a coop over the weekend.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah, eventually I will. They're drinking A LOT. I'm going to let them free range when they're much older. Hopefully they don't get eaten!

Going to paint it too, but not sure what color.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Will I have to put the birds in a bigger box when they get bigger? I'm using a really large plastic bin as a brooder for the chicks.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zgRJEBGzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But they're already trying to fly out of it and they're only 1.5 weeks old. Will the chicks need more surface area as they grow to 3-4 weeks? When can/should I clip their wings?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wow. Wait a minute, don't you have to have the heat lamp on them at all times? I think my chicks are scared of me. They run away when I try to pet them. And when you let them out don't they poop everywhere? Cute chickens.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I've tried feeding my chickens lettuce and worms, but they don't seem to want it. They just peck at it and drop it.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Where do you get mealworms?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
How do I make my chickens love me? :( I have to grab them every evening to put them back in the coop because they don't know they're supposed to go in yet. Now they're afraid of me.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
That really sucks. I'm worried about the neighbor's dog doing the same thing since the chicks have been escaping underneath the fence.

Is there anything I shouldn't feed the chickens? Are any foods poisonous for them? I've just been throwing everything to them, from cheese, to corn, to pasta. They also really like lentils.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My mom just sent me pictures of my two retard birds eating yogurt. :s: We honestly didn't know what to call the Americauna one so it's temporary name is Frankie. Suggestions?

Edit: can't spell.

Maximusi fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 17, 2011

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Why not just fence in your whole backyard, and let the chickens run amok? Build the coop in the shed and open the doors at dawn. I don't even have a run and I've had no problems with hawks so far (I live in slightly foresty/mountainy area). No one will know. Chickens are pretty quiet. The only thing is chickens poop a hell of a lot, but if you have a vegetable garden that could be a good thing for the soil.

Man living right next to a train station must be a pain, though.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My idiot chicken fell in the pool. Luckily I was there. Can these things drown?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Jesus Christ look at those poor animals. It's really sad, and I'm glad I will no longer have to support this horrible industry. You're an awesome person for doing this.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I thought those hens were retired and they wouldn't lay eggs anymore? That's cool though.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I'm excited to see how they will taste different. I've never had fresh farm eggs. Always store bought.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
How do you guys get rid of the black poop marks on cement? I'm having trouble washing them off. Bleach doesn't do anything.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Do chickens need to live on grass to maintain a healthy diet? I've been letting them free range so far but the amount of poo poo on the concrete when I come home from work is just too much. Even with sweeping, scrubbing with bleach, it's just nasty. On the side of the house we have this fenced in dirt area. It doesn't have much plants and it doesn't have grass. The chickens seem to eat a lot of grass though. It's either that or build a fence on the grass or something.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
God in the first picture, I thought it was dead. That is the sorriest looking chicken I've ever seen. Can't wait to see it when it gets healthier.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
How do you even touch your chickens? I raised them since they were a couple days old and they still run away from me. Whenever I try to pet them. They'll come if I have food but they freak out if I touch them. WHyyyy?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I just have a hard time catching them.

Have you ever tried hypnotizing your chickens? I've done it and it's worked every time (when I used to be able to catch them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r9QWtlLOdc

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Are you kidding me?? God, I hope my chickens don't do that or they'll have to go.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I found this in the coop this morning. Yay! First egg! It had poop stuck to it. How do I wash the stain off?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Well as long as you build a coop with a lock on the door, I think it would still be fine.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Man both chickens are now squatting whenever I touch them. Makes me feel...weird. At least they're easier to catch now.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Also how come my chickens won't lay in the brood boxes? They keep scattering the hay I put in the boxes for them.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My Americauna/EEgger chicken is laying pretty small eggs. Will they get bigger or stay pretty small?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What do they do when you steal their eggs?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Take lots of pics. They grow extremely fast. I wish I had taken more, but they double in size every week.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Eat them. Seriously, just cull the ones you don't want. There's nothing wrong with that.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Chido you have to do this with your rooster.

http://drsophiayin.com/resources/video_full/sophias_trained_chickens

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yep. Just imagine when they get bigger! They poo poo just as much, but their shits are huge. I swear sometimes I'll see a golf-ball sized poo poo.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What do you guys do with all the chicken poop?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I haven't been closing the door of the coop for a while and the chickens have been fine so far...

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Do chickens need vaccines? I gave them medicated feed when they were younger and that's about it.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My chickens refuse to eat the organic grain we bought them. It's like they're bored of it. Usually I would let them graze and find grubs, but they destroy too many plants and I have to supervise them while I let them out. So they don't really get out much. Is there another food I should be giving them?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Well, a raccoon came and got my Americauna. It's my fault. I didn't close the coop door. :( RIP Frankie. I heard the whole thing.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
:/ Do you think my remaining chicken will be OK alone? She was so scared, she didn't want to go back inside the coop. Poor thing.

I live with my folks and they weren't really keen on the chickens in the first place. I doubt I will be able to convince them to replace the chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah, I only had two chickens. Well, lesson learned. Close the drat door.