Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Wow! Roostroyer is huge! And such pretty feathers! :)

How is your Spaghetti doing? Did her wounds finally heal up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Well the hens that are still roaming free outside have started to sneak into our backyard and eat our chickens' food... and also Roostroyer has already mated with them :psyduck:. My coop is small and if we end up catching them, I don't know if they'll fit in the coop to sleep at night. I guess I'll find out eventually.

Haha! Roostroyer is a hen magnet! :D

I'm sure Roo doesn't care if his coop is crowded. More hens for him! :c00l:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hey Chido: Sorry to hear that Godzilla isn't feeling well. :(

You might try sending a PM to Velvet Sparrow and point her to your request post in this thread. VS has been around online lately but I suspect that her 'net access is limited right now. She's been tweeting and posting on her LJ and has replied to me a few times in the past week so I think she would probably respond to your request for help.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 4, 2011

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

A woman knocked on the door earlier, "Hey, I live round the corner... I have 6 chicks and a mother for sale, you want em?"

Mostly Orpingtons, which is what we wanted! Gotta find names for em now...

Hi Nettle Soup! Be sure and post some photos of your new pet chicks and hen! We all love seeing photos of people's pet chickens! :)

What will you name them? Do you need suggestions?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Thank you for the link :D! Godzilla's face looks better today, she had no fever hat I noticed as her legs didn't feel nearly as warm as they were last night, her face isn't all bright red, and the swelling on the left side of her face went down more than in the other side, but both cheeks are less swollen than last night.

She was also very hungry, but it seems that it bothers her to eat anything hard like her pellets...

Huh! I wonder if she got stung by a bee or spider? Do you have bees in your yard?

I'm glad Godzilla is better. I'm sure she's enjoying eating the yummy special "soft" foods rather than her boring old pellets. I bet she'd enjoy some soft-boiled or scrambled eggs and some hot dogs. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

I think the mother is a white leghorn, what do you guys want to name her?

Edit: Uploaded some pics from my phone here, proper camera is downstairs still.

Name the mom Pillow! :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

meriruka posted:

Tiny dinosaur hatching....

Awwww...post more photos! Everyone here is a sucker for cute, fluffy baby chick photos. :)

Chido posted:

Chido! What is going on in that image???

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

meriruka posted:

More baby pics:

Oh my god! So adorable! What different kinds of chicks do you have? Why is that one chick so much bigger than the rest?

What kind of chicken is standing behind Jerry? I really like that grey color.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

HappyIceCuber posted:

Hey chicken folks I hope this isn't too off-topic, but can you help me identify this chicken I ran into in a meadow

It was pretty big and territorial seemin

Isn't that chicken a Light Brahma? Like Chido's Roostroyer (see photos on the past few pages of this thread).

Also, Jerry the tom turkey is so handsome and his kids are adorable! :3

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

That shed would make a great coop! I would also suggest fencing in the entire backyard, but then using two sides of the fence for two of the walls for the chicken run. You'd have to add another side (running back down to the shed) made of posts with wirecloth or chicken wire with a door for you to use. That way the chickens could see something more than a boring old fence and sky and you could watch them through the wire without having them running (and pooping) all over the backyard.

You could also add a top made of chicken wire to keep the chickens in their run (unless you want to clip their wings). A wire top would also help keep cats and hawks out in the daytime. Naturally you would want to shut the chickens into their shed/coop at night for safety from rats, raccoons and other night predators.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tendai posted:

I suppose that is a worthy excuse. But we still need Roo in a santa hat :3:

Hahaha! Also requesting humiliating/awesome shots of Roostroyer and his ladies dressed up for Xmas! :D

Chido! Ask Santa for a new camera!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Found my camera!

Roo looking cool with a hat.

Ahahahaaaa! Roostroyer is quite the pimp! :D

quote:

His foot on my hand.

OMG! His foot!!!! It's nearly as large as your hand...which means he should be about three feet tall by now!!

Can you take a photo of Roo standing next to a yard stick? I'm really curious how tall he really is!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Best rooster photo EVER! He's so beautiful (and his dress is lovely too). I laughed so hard at this. I was NOT expecting that when I came her to see what Chido posted!

Poor Roostroyer looks a bit confused though. I hope you weren't giggling at him too much. He must be an extraordinarily patient chicken, to put up with you silly girls. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

He's a standard Light Brahma. There is a bantam version that weighs like 2 pounds or less, the standard gets big as you can see. I think Roo is about 8 pounds now. He looks massive but he's just a very talk rooster, he has long legs and he's extremely fluffy :3:.

Remember the Buff Brahma Chickcam chick named Deputy Frost? He was super-tall, even as a chick. Judging from how big Roostroyer is now, I wonder how tall Frosty ended up being?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The chickens probably think that girls' high-pitched giggling is them cackling like they've all laid eggs!

Kung fu hen is awesome! I laughed so hard. :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

spookygonk posted:

And here they are:

Took them about an hour to calm down and realise there was food and water in the green bowls in the run and the stuff underfoot, grass was also edible. Put them in the nest tonight (they don't understand where they should sleep yet), hopefully all four will still be with us in the morning.

You are wonderful and your hens are wonderful too! Even though they are bedraggled and skinny, they still look awesome! Please post more photos as they progress and get healthy again! :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Thanks to everyone who posts photos and updates about their chickens. I can't have pet chickens so I always enjoy seeing the images that people share. Chickens are so adorable! :)

Speaking of cute chickens, I wonder if there will be a Chickam this year? I haven't seen Velvet Sparrow post in a few months so I guess they're still house-hunting or in the process of moving in.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

As I recall, last year was kind of a rough Chickam. VS had a death in the family and was gone for two weeks during the height of Chickam. Then some of the babies got sick (remember Duck dying? :( ). And that stupid woman adopted the hen Spaghetti and then allowed a dog to kill her. And brave Guardian died. :cry: During all of this, the neighbors kept bitching about the roosters crowing and VS had to give away a couple of them (poor Smokey). I recall that the neighbors' harassment was the final straw that made VS and 12_String want to move. And yet both VS and 12_String seemed to enjoy hosting Chickam.

I really appreciated them going the extra mile and taking the webcam outdoors so that we could see the babies all grown up and running around with the rest of the flock. I was very ill all of last year and I really enjoyed Chickam. The antics of the baby chicks cheered me up immensely. :)

I do remember 12_String saying that they were probably going to have a hard time getting an internet connection in the new area they were moving to, but I'm not even sure they've found a new home yet. They might be having a hard time even getting online right now. VS had said the chickens were currently living in a barn and they can't go out and free range in the middle of winter. She did post a few amusing photos of the chickens being introduced to snow! Chickspicion is always hilarious.

Anyway, I hope things are going well for VS, 12_String, the Kid and the flock. I wonder if Peepsquire had managed to lay an egg yet? And whether Weedcat is now the fluffiest roo in the barn. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hooray for having a new (used) house! I'm glad VS and her family again have a home to call their own! :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

LOL!!! I burst out laughing when Megatron and Roostroyer stood up and shook themselves off and created huge dust clouds! Let's see any lice try to survive that. How does Roo manage to look so clean and white when he's been wallowing around in dirt?

Also...awwwws at Roostroyer doing his first big boy crows! Little baby Roo is all grown up now! So proud! :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

If no-one minds I'll post a couple of pictures of my two girls here.

First one here is Janet Jackson (named my by my little brother) being caught trying to walk into the house:

This is Zorro (named by me) having a break during the past summer months in the flower beds.

Awwww. Both of your chickens are so pretty! I love the brown/black feathers on Janet. The pattern is so beautiful! :3:

Chido -- why don't you make some of those cloth chicken saddles (is that what they are called?) for your poor hens. Ya'll like dressing up the birds after all.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Are there any rescue chickens you could adopt? It's always nice to provide a new home for an unwanted animal.

Also, your black hen is very cute. She sounds quite friendly since she follows you around. You could name her Shadow. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I wonder what breeds of eggs will be in this year's Chickam? I know that the Birchan Marans eggs were difficult to incubate last year, but I'd love to see some more Birchan Marans chicks just because their little white butts are soooo adorable! Birchan Marans chicks are like little penguins. :3:

What type of chick was the famous Piggles? That was a very cool-looking chick too.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awwww. Stealin' her eggs! Poor angry bird...I mean hen! :D

Rusty is very pretty though. I'd love to pet her but she's looking a bit broody there. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow on Livejournal posted:

On the subject of chickens, we're planning on having our annual event--Chickam--on Easter weekend in April--the 7th & 8th. We'll set the eggs in the incubator on March 17th and 21 days later should have chicks hatching! We haven't chosen the breeds we'll hatch yet, but I'd like some MilleFleur Belgian d'Uccles, plus some chicks from our own hens. Several folks around our neighborhood have chickens and sell eggs, so I may get some eggs from them to add to the mix. We'll be web broadcasting the hatch live, with sound, then we place the cam in the brooder box 24/7 for the following 8 weeks so you can watch the chicks grow up. It's been VERY popular in the past and is fascinating and educational for adults and kids alike! See my website for details, here, scroll down to 'Chickam': http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickLinksChickam.htm

I wonder if any of last year's chickens are laying eggs yet? I'd love to see some of Peepsquire's chicks. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I've been keeping two pullets and my bared rock locked in the run because they are missing back feathers and Roo had been leaving some scratches on them and the barred rock is really afraid of him, but I think I'm gonna start leaving everybody together again and see if I can find something to make some aprons for the hens. Chicken drama never ends :argh:

Chido, could you get some quilted potholders from the dollar store and use those to make back aprons out of? You could sew some sort of sturdy ribbons onto the aprons to tie them to the chickens.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

meriruka posted:

I got chicken saddles on ebay. They're usually around $3, worth it for me - I can't sew worth a drat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Chicken-Saddles-Hen-Aprons-/260957322005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc244bb15

As big of an eBay user that I am, it would have never occurred to me to look for hen aprons there! Wow! So many cute patterns and colors! I particularly like the little skull 'n' crossbones designs for the fashionable goth chicken.

Also, speaking of eBay, Velvet Sparrow mentioned on her Twitter that she'd seen some Brabanter chicken eggs for sale on eBay. Eeeee! So adorable! I'd love to see some little mohawked chicks running around during Chickam! :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 16, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Search for "broody hen" on Youtube. The growling sounds they make are absolutely hilarious and adorable. SUCH ANGRY BIRDS! :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Fluffball in action! Beware the 4 pounds of feathered fury!

Awwww. Rusty is incredibly cute and fluffy and oh-so-ANGRY! Her little growls are adorable. :D

I like how Roostroyer decides that it's best to avoid Rusty. "Oh hey there....what's up girls? What? Oh no! BROODY HEN! Think I'll just keep on walking."

Chido: will Rusty just continue to sit right where you left her? Or will she finally stand up and walk around a little?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

That's awesome! Pip looks great! Are they pretty friendly?

BTW, that green wire in the photo with Pip...what is that stuff officially called?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Well now I have two broody hens, Rusty the Angry Bird and Megatron. We call them the culecas (mexican spanish slang for broody). Because Flake is still a bit under the weather I leave her locked in the run with Spaghetti and Godzilla, and I leave Roo with the culecas and Dust outside.

Hopefully not letting them have access to the coop will make them get over their broodiness, but I've noticed that Rusty now comes running to me all fluffed up, and makes a very distinctive bokbokbok she normally doesn't do, and like a dog she tries to make me go to the coop and open it for her, or unlock the run gate for her. She also tries to jump onto my back if i'm bending down, or my arms so she can climb to my shoulder and perch there. :psyduck:

Oh! The broody drama! LOL! :D

Take some more videos, Chido! The broody hen show is so amusing.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Ask, and you shall receive. Please don't mind my robe, we recorded that earlier today and we all were on our pajamas.

LOL! That was great! I love seeing Rusty trying to figure out how to get back into the coop! You can see the little gears in her tiny brain turning. And then she hopes that by sucking up to you, that she'll be let back into the coop! :D

I like how Roostroyer was all "I'll just stay out HERE in the yard...AWAY from you crazy broody hens!"

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

You could try listing the extra roos on Craigslist and finding them new homes.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

Chicks are here. Rusty is highly concerned.

OMG! SO CUTE!!!! I don't suppose you have a webcam, do you? :3:

Is Rusty a dog? Is that him looking over the edge of the box in the third photo? :ohdear:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 2, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I find baby chick peeping to be rather soothing, but to a dog's more-sensitive ears the high-pitched peeping might be annoying or very very intruiging.

I'm glad that Rusty the dog is only confused as opposed to hostile or hungry. Perhaps he'll end up "adopting" the chicks and become their big brother. :3: Be careful though, it's kind of instinctual for a retriever to pick up birds in his mouth. On the positive side, retrievers do tend to have a light touch since they're supposed to just retrieve birds and not chew them up.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

Chicks are a week old today! They have little tail feathers coming in and their wings are about half feathered now. They've also gone from eating one jar worth of food in three days to a jar in less than 24 hours!

They are still pretty skittish about being picked up, probably because I had to wash most of their butts during the first couple of days. Working on getting them more comfortable with handling now. Also going to try to bring them upstairs where there is more light and get individual shots of each of them today.

Looking forward to seeing photos of their cute, fuzzy (and clean) butts. I love seeing photos of people's chickens! :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

All right, here are the pics! They are currently 8 days old.

Do all the Easter Eggers have puffy cheeks? I burst out laughing at photo one with the little poop mountain.

The Silver Laced Wyandottes are really pretty. Why does the 2nd one look like it has a huge beak?

Wow! I can't believe they are already growing feathers! Thanks for sharing your photos! :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

Two week old pics! (really 2 weeks 2 days)

First, chicks in a box.
Last week (10 chicks in box, room for at least 3 more):

This week (8 chicks in the box before I ran out of room):

D'awwww. :3:

These are so adorable! It's amazing how quickly their feathers start coming in. I'm interested in seeing how the Laced Wyandottes turn out -- I love the beautiful feathers on Laced Wyandottes.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

Anyone have any experience with nipple based watering systems for chickens? I'm already seriously annoyed at how quickly they toss ridiculous amounts of shavings into the waterer.

People who have the nipple watering systems swear by them. There's a bunch of videos on youtube. Like this one, where the guy ordered nipples for $2 apiece from eBay and then used stuff he already had (plastic bucket, hosing, PVC pipe, silicon caulk) to build his own chicken watering system using the nipples. I think in this video he'd just built it and the chickens were just learning how to drink from the nipples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg41esvb1Ew

Skip the first part of the video to the chicken nipples part which beings at 3:50 or so. You'll see links on the side to other Youtube vids showing various chicken watering systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I think that regular pet stores have long stopped selling Easter chicks, ducks, and bunnies.