Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

WrathofKhan posted:

I think that chickens would be all about that as a treat.
On the subject of treats, watermelon and tomatoes are like crack for my chickens.
Mine would go nuts over cucumber, porridge and grapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

We're going to be rehoming some more ex-battery hens on the 29th. Normally egg producing hens are kept for 12 months or so then sent off to the slaughter for pet food, even though they are capable of laying eggs for another year. Now thanks to groups like BHWT (in the UK) people can adopt them as pets or as an alternative to buying POL birds.

Being confined in small cages with other chickens for months, they don't come out looking well. This was Sandy, the worse looking of the original three, on the day we bought them home:

She'd never seen grass before, nor the sky or a even nice nest to sleep / lay eggs in. With good food, some TLC and three months later she looked a lot better...

... apart from her tail and bum feathers, obviously, which took much longer to come through. Here she is, after a full second moult 18 months on. Sadly, a week later we found out she had tumours all over her liver and had her put to sleep.

Anyway, there's new legislation coming into force on January 1st for battery hens to be kept in 'enriched cages' (just slightly less poo poo than the old cages) so farms are having a clear out just before the cut off. This is where we come in again, with four hens to rehome this time.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Picking our new four ex-batts up in an hour. They'll be frail, confused little things, but should start to relax & perk up in a day or so.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

spookygonk posted:

Picking our new four ex-batts up in an hour. They'll be frail, confused little things, but should start to relax & perk up in a day or so.
And here they are:

Dora

Boo

Piper

and

Pip

Took them about an hour to calm down and realise there was food and water in the green bowls in the run and the stuff underfoot, grass was also edible. Put them in the nest tonight (they don't understand where they should sleep yet), hopefully all four will still be with us in the morning.

edit Now with names!

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 29, 2011

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

All four hens alive and shouting to get out of the nest this morning, apart from Boo who needed helping out. All have been eating and drinking (they're not used to sleeping for 16 hours at a time) and the pecking order is starting. Unsurprisingly, it's Pip who is vying for the top spot as it was she that had the least in captivity.

Other news:

Two eggs!*

*Yes, I know hens lay eggs and I have a half dozen shop bought eggs in the cupboard.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

luloo123 posted:

Glad to hear that they are doing well. Please keep us posted on their progress. How big are they?
Chickens or the eggs? The hens were weighed when we brought them home:

Dora: 1404g / 3lb 2oz
Pip: 1860g / 3lb 11oz
Piper: 2135g - 4lb 11oz
Boo: 2550g / 5lb 9oz

As you can see there's a big difference in size between the smallest & biggest, over a kilo. Dora also has a weak chest and wheezes when she gets stressed (though that's easing off now with the fresh air & good food). Pip laid a 74g egg today, while Piper (bigger hen) laid a 52g egg.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Update on our four ex-battery hens. Dora is on antibiotics as her wheezing was quite bad, but the twice a day medication is easier now we put the meds in warm, tasty porridge rather than having to syring it down her beak. They've been out sixteen days now and the pecking order is pretty much set, so there's less squabbling. Another thing to help Dora (#4 hen) from being picked on (mostly by Piper, #3 hen), we set up a fence a couple of feet out from the run so the hens had more room to move out & about (and more grass to eat).

Was greeted by this sight in the run a day or so ago:

Pip? Piiiiiiiiiip!!

Turns out, she was having her first dust bath in a small amount of sand.

Boo on the other hand, has already got dust bathing off to a fine art.

If you ever wondered what a chicken's crop looks like:

All hens are laying, so there's pretty much four eggs every day. Interestingly, the smallest bodyweight chickens (Dora & Pip) are laying the largest eggs.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

WrathofKhan posted:

Speaking of eggs, how is everyone's hens laying right now? Mine are loving the freakishly warm weather, I'm getting between 4 and 5 dozen eggs a week from 11 hens.
That's a lot of eggs!

We're averaging two a day from four hens, as it's midwinter here. Overnight we got six inches of snow, so yesterday evening snow proofed the run (and outside the run) so there would still be grass & extra shelter for when they came out this morning.

Our garden looked like this first thing today:

But the hens weren't bothered by the snow for too long (temperature felt less cold than it had done for the last couple of days and there was no biting wind).

We brought Dora, the small, wheezy hen inside for a few hours every day when she was on medication. We've continued this when the weather is cold, damp and windy (not good for her breathing). The warm kitchen soon lets her catch her breath and relax, plus we make sure she gets enough food (she's also the bottom of the pecking order) and a chance to preen and try out new treats the others will eventually get.

Best news of all is Pip, who was drat as near bald when we got her. Three weeks after she came here some feathers started coming through on her back:

Fourteen days after that:

No wonder she'd been stuffing her beak so much. Pip's been looking miserable the last week, which is not surprising considering how many feathers were breaking through her skin. It's can't be a pleasant feeling.

Hopefully the snow will melt soon and Spring will come along with warmer weather and they can get the whole garden to ruin forage.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 5, 2012

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Geokinesis posted:

That would be the best suggestion, Naked Necks are quite adorable in their way.

e: A picture for those of you who haven't seen the breed:
We got one like that:

... but she's feathering up nicely now. :unsmith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

luloo123 posted:

I really can't believe how much they've improved in the short time that you have had them. When they first arrived they looked so rough: few feathers and droopy, pale combs. They look so much better.
Thanks, we've had them just six weeks (and two days) now and they're coming along in leaps* and bounds, even with the snowy, cold weather. They are getting stronger (and feather-ier) every day.

*one has managed to get on top of the run without us seeing and leave a large poop to show off her achievement.

luloo123 posted:

Do they trust you enough for cuddles (although with those feathers coming in they probably don't want to be touched at all)? Or does their previous life preclude any touching?
They're definitely 'hand's off' birds, most likely with their previousl life, but they are getting much more comfortable around us (ie, they will now wipe their beaks on our shoes). Dora was brought into the kitchen again today for a few hours, as she's still wheezing. She actually sat down next to me and dozed with her head under her wing, though the four helpings of hot porridge may have had something to do with that!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Edit: now my leghorn hen is not doing well. Flake is not moving and she is not interested in food, which is really odd because she looooves mealworms, yet she isn't interested in them today. I have her laying down in a lined shoebox in my roo so I can keep an eye on her, but it seems she only wants to sleep :(. I can't see any other symptoms, so I hope it's nothing serious and she'll be better tomorrow :(. She's probably 7-8 months old and she's laid two large eggs in the last 3 days, and both eggs had some blood on them. I hope she isn't egg bound :(.
Sorry to hear that. Hope she feels better tomorrow.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Our four ex-battery hens have just gone past the two months mark with us and look at the difference with Pip!

(click for bigger)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

That's awesome! Pip looks great! Are they pretty friendly?
Thanks, it's amazing what some TLC and good food can do. They've lost their fear of us and follow us all around, but they still don't care for being handled (and probably never will).

Inveigle posted:

BTW, that green wire in the photo with Pip...what is that stuff officially called?

It's this stuff, chicken netting.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Maximusi posted:

Yep. Just imagine when they get bigger! They poo poo just as much, but their shits are huge. I swear sometimes I'll see a golf-ball sized poo poo.
We've had wallnut whip sized (& shape) ones from our last batch of hens, plus the odd audible "squirt" & "splat" noise on occasions.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

D'awwww. :3:

These are so adorable! It's amazing how quickly their feathers start coming in. I'm interested in seeing how the Laced Wyandottes turn out -- I love the beautiful feathers on Laced Wyandottes.
They grow up so fast, don't they?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

Roo's kids are going to be the biggest, toughest street chickens ever! :ese:
Ain't that the fact!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

>>> unless it's chickens.

luloo123 posted:

Chicks are pipping on Chickcam!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476644

They want out!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ceridwen posted:

Chicks are 5 weeks old! The facial feathers on EE 1 are really starting to fill out. They have also all figured out how to drink water out of the chicken nipple waterer I made, so no more nasty water bottle to deal with!

Easter Egger 1 (keeping this one):
Adorable.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

daggerdragon posted:

that copy-paste smile of his is genuinely creepy, 14 years old or not :/
Yeah, that is unsettling.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

WrathofKhan posted:

Egg binding is one of those things that can happen, but isn't super common. It also happens more often with chickens that are bred for super-high production and large eggs, so you can cut down on your odds of this particular problem by getting heritage breeds.
We have had this problem with our ex-battery hens as they (ISA Brown) are bred for a year of high egg production and then (normally) just killed off. Their egg egg system can eventually fail and you end up with egg peritonitus or 'jelly' eggs (no shells). I've had to gently remove broken egg shells from a chicken's vent before now, luckily successfully and the hen was fine quickly after. :unsmith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CantDecideOnAName posted:

My mom is more the chicken person, but she's off her feet for a few weeks so I guess that leaves me taking care of the thing.
Don't suppose you could name the chick and stop calling it 'the thing' (unless you call it "Thing")?

CantDecideOnAName posted:

You guys know chickens--they're not particularly bright at the best of times.
All I know is chickens are far brighter than people give them credit for.

vv Good name for a chicken :) vv

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 20, 2012

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

My chickens are pets and I get way too attached to any pet I have.
Same here. Lucky enough to have a vet that can deal with poultry within half an hour drive (I'm in the UK, btw) and he's brilliant. Cost doesn't matter to us, just the well being of our four hens.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Edit: and now she laughed at me after seeing the first aid supplies I bought for Roo. Spending money on my chickens is so dumb because they are just chickens and it's silly how much I worry about their well-being.
She's so wrong and spiteful.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ah sorry to hear about Moe. :smith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Captain Foxy posted:

Insulate insulate insulate your coop!
But make sure there's enough ventilation as well.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Also, bonus picture of Roo with one of his footies bandaged :3:

How are Roo's feet coming along?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Vaga42Bond posted:

:psyduck: You have to do that for some chickens? How? And I'm guessing they're none too fond of it?

We trimmed one of our ex-batts bums as her poop was mostly wet and matting her feathers. Just held her carefully and used sharp scissors to trim the feathers back far enough. Quick job and some treats afterwards for the indignation.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Our four ex-batts will tolerate most birds in the garden except magpies, but anything pigeon sized and smaller are ingored (or even welcomed if they kick seeds off the bird table). One of our regular juvenile wood pigeons was seen to be sitting in the same place on the ground for hours and it became obvious it couldn't fly. So we put it in a box with food and water and hoped it was just stunned after flying into something. The next day it was the same and we took it to a wild animal shelter where the woman in charge found it had broken its wing in three places. :smith: She said the wing joint was fine and she hoped she could splint the wing and get it to heal.

When we mentioned the chickens, she said, "Do you want a rooster?" Someone had rung her to see if she'd take him in, but she said the sanctuary she run was for wild animals only. That night the rooster was thrown over her gate. To add to the problem, she has only bantams and he's very forceful with the tiny ladies and more importantly the rooster will attack anyone in his eyeline. She cannot find someone to take him.

Other news, Dora our smallest ex-batt has started mislaying eggs: soft shells, whites and yolks without shells. So we took her to the vet and he has given her what is basically the pill in implant form. This will shut down her ovaries and prevent more problems for her, but we do expect some more times when she'll be feeling poorly as her body expells the last of the current batch of eggs. It's a simple procedure and the vet now does it without having to anethatise the hen (unless it is very stressed/frightened).

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Is the feed in mash, crumbles, or pellet form? I usually buy pellets because it's less waste, but my chickens won't eat much of it unless I add some water so it gets mushy (dumb chickens don't like dry mash *sigh*). Maybe try adding a bit of water, or switch the form -from pellets to mash, or to crumbles.
We use layers mash, because that's what the ex-batts were used to when they were in captivity. Our original three ex-batts would beak the mash out all over the place, but these new four are less messy in their eating habits. We tried a different brand of layers mash this time, which is a less like dust and more crumb texture. Regardless of what they're eating while free ranging (or mooching) during the day, they will go back to the run many times to beak up some more mash.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Also, I have a question about grit. All my chickens have free reign of our backyard, but most of the earth is dusty. Should I have extra grit available for them? (silly question)Can fish tank pebbles be used for grit? I have a bag of white aquarium gravel somewhere in my room that I never used, would it be ok to toss it outside for the chickens?
I have bowls of sand out for my hens which they return to many times during the day. Have tried crushed oyster shells in the past but they're not interested in that. Went with children's play sand as it comes in smaller bags (25kg) and is cheap o buy.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Spaghetti has lost weight and I'm probably gonna have to force feed her some baby food to help her recover. She does eat some feed, but she's been picky about treats. She won't eat mealworms but she'll devour watermelon and cucumber. I'm rather bad at her previous owners for not taking better care of her, she's such a sweet hen :(
Poor little thing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Greycious posted:

You did what you could, and showed her a much better life than her previous owners had given her.

And don't feel silly because she was "only a chicken". She wasn't, she was a cherished pet. No matter the species if you lose a cherished pet it hurts, and rightfully so.
Exactly this. You did your very best and gave her all the love, care and attention that her previous owner didn't.

Sorry for your loss.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Vaga42Bond posted:

Did Georgia do the chicken thing of picking it up and running around, clucking loudly about the treat he has, while the others chase him?
We have a hen called Boo that does that, except she squeals and it's guaranteed to make the others chase her. Yesterday it was a big, orange slug and she automatically ran off squealing and this time top hen Pip ran after. A brief squabble and a tug of war later, two chickens now have roughly half a slug each (slug guts aren't a pretty sight).
Amazing what goes into a free range egg, isn't it?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

We had our first fox attack this evening. :smith:
About 8:30 Boo started one of her 'egg dance' crowing and my other half went out to quiet her down and then shouted "Fox!" I'd, as luck had it had followed her into the kitchen with the teapot and that's what got thrown at the running fox which had a huge mass of feathers in its mouth. Three of the hens had bunched together, standing tall and then ran staight into the kitchen but we couldn't find Pip, just a trail of feathers, so many loose feathers.

Then she appeared from behind some bins outside the kitchen door. She was the one attacked. All four safe though.

Checked her over, while she stood trembling and slightly gasping. She has a large patch of feathers on her underside pulled out and at least three bite/tooth holes on her upper torso under the wing. No dripping blood, no skin tears. Seems the huge amount of feathers she grew meant the fox didn't get a good grip on her.

The other three scoffed live meal worms while this was going on, so they weren't the ones the fox went for.

Pip then had some meal worms (yay!) and a drink of water, I carried her back to the covered run and locked them all in. They all went into the nest shortly after.

We will see how she is in the morning and if in any doubt book her a vet appointment. We were lucky this time.

Is it the case once a fox has found livestock to go for it will return again & again?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

Yup. Predators know when there's easy pickings and they'll keep returning until the food supply is exhausted and will also check back periodically to see if food has returned. :(

If you have a run, you should put the chickens in it. If you don't have a run, perhaps consider building one?
We have an extra long run that the hens are in at the start of the day and evenings, like this one:

And there's a further fence up setup circling the run which they stay in until midday:

but we were obviously lax in putting them back in the fenced off are and then the run as evening drew on, which was our (big) mistake. The fox caught Pip in the back of the fenced off area which she couldn't escape from.

Inveigle posted:

You could also try to trap the fox. Best thing to do is hire someone to trap the fox for you (if you want to be nice to the fox find someone who'll trap it and then take the captured fox and release it somewhere, rather than killing it).
I have found a local company online and will give them a call tomorrow to arrange a visit. Pip is also going to the vet tomorrow regardless of how she's looking in the morning.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

piscesbobbie posted:

Hey Spookygonk, how is Pip doing since the attack. Is all well?

She's fighting the fight. Our usual vet (an hour's drive away) wasn't available so we rang round for an alternative and found one that deals with chickens only a 10 minutes down the road. We got an appointment within an hour of calling. This meant way less stress for Pip.
He checked her over carefully and found more tooth punctures including a deep one that pierced her air sack on the right hand side, so her skin had puffed up. Luckily the skin had already healed there (and the other bies had clotted) so he was able to draw the excess air (150ml) out with a syringe. She was put on Tylan to stop any infection from the bites (foxes have reallly grotty teeth) and brought home. The rest of Thursday was in the nest after we fed and medicated her in the kitchen. Friday she hobbled / hoppped out of the nest so it looked like her right leg was either too sore or there was something else there. She was still wolfing down live (white) maggots and mealworms with grated cheese and blueberries (seperate bowls) so her appetite is still good.
Saturday morning was a repeat trip to the vet. He gave her legs bones and joints a full going over, but said there was no damage to them. More likely the wounds from the bites or the struggle to escape from the fox has hurt the leg. We have Metacam, an anti-inflammitary / pain killer to give her daily as well now.
Sunday morning and she hobbled out of the nest and after a an hour or two walked slowley out of the run. She's slow at everything and tires easily, but we're seeing the Pip we know, especially the sharp eyes she has. And her appetite is still in full force.

It's going to be a long recovery, but I think Pip's going to pull through. Thanks for asking, I'll update in a couple of days. Just got to trap the fox that did this now.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Is there anything a chicken won't try to eat? :psyduck:
One of ours was stripping the gaffer tape (US = duct tape) holding the door shut on the compost bin. :iiam:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nettle Soup posted:

We paid £100 for the big chicken house we're using at the moment, and around £300 to get a fence put across the garden so they stopped destroying everything. We also have four dogs, though, so foxes are deterred, and the garden is fenced in on all sides by 6-foot fences. We were ok with the original £100 house on it's own so long as we remembered to lock them in early, except for the fact we didn't know the nestbox floor was a liability.

I guess being in the UK we have a few less predators to worry about though.
After the attack we hired in a pest control company who set two traps. After a week the fox that attacked Pip was caught and now won't be troubling anyone again. :smith:

We've just bought this run so our hens have a large secure area to move around in when we're not about to let them free range over the rest of the garden. Going to be better for us as well with not having to crawl on our hands & knees to refill the food bowls (and trying to navigate the poop minefield that goes with that). Does mean this will be a static run, rather than the current smaller one that gets moved around the garden every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

18 days after being attacked by a fox, Pip finally laid an egg again this morning. Such a relief, was concerned her egg system had got backed up and she was possibly heading towards egg peritonitus.