Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I can only assume someone gave this to my grandfather. I have no idea who as there is a long list of people he knew that would. I have never played it. I have no idea if it lives up to its label and I don't have a turntable up here to find out.

Autry Inman was a country and rockabilly musician who also did standup comedy. That's a single from one of his two comedy albums. more info here.

I'll have some pics a little later. Just won some Captain Beefheart promo albums on eBay and have to go pick them up from the record shop downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

Rooney McNibnug posted:

That test press sounds awesome. Do you have a picture of it?

I'm a huge BTMI fan, and I own most of their stuff on vinyl. In fact, I just pre-ordered their new LP, "Vacation". I think I remember the site saying the vinyl is purple and orange. And every pre-order comes with a free shirt!

Hey, just saw this. To clarify, I have a test press AND the swirly color AND the Asian Man repress. I can post a picture of any of them if you like though.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Here's my newest haul...

Promo copies of Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), Clear Spot, and Doc at the Radar Station by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band.

I also grabbed reissues of Safe as Milk and Trout Mask Replica, on white and transparent red vinyl respectively.

To break from the trend I grabbed a couple Inspiral Carpets singles.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

BigHustle posted:

I also grabbed French import of Safe as Milk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwjVVSNOtY

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

I forgot about that scene. The short time I worked at a record store (way before the movie) my old boss was the skinhead version of Barry. Some kid came in asking for some No Doubt album. Scott asks him why he he says 'I like ska.' Scott then chases the kid out of the store screaming about how No Doubt isn't ska and he'll show him some REAL ska.'

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
NVM Found it.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 28, 2011

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Game's over, losers. I have all the 7"s. Compare your lives to mine and then kill yourselves.

The Wake - On Our Honeymoon reissue
Beach Fossils & Wild Nothing - Gruesome Flowers: A Tribute To The Wake
Wild Nothing - Cloudbusting
Washed Out / Small Black - Split
The Crabs - Sore
The Crabs - Anything & Everything
La Roux - Quicksand
Arcade Fire - Wake Up

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Love that Wake song, my girlfriend got me the newest repress of their first album for christmas.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Love that Wake song, my girlfriend got me the newest repress of their first album for christmas.

I wish someone would reissue "Something That No One Else Could Bring" becuase it has their 4 best songs on one 45. I think because Factory issued it there might be a problem getting the rights. I'm going to suggest it to Drastic Plastic or Captured Tracks even though they would never listen to some random customer in a million years.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

BigHustle posted:

I forgot about that scene. The short time I worked at a record store (way before the movie) my old boss was the skinhead version of Barry. Some kid came in asking for some No Doubt album. Scott asks him why he he says 'I like ska.' Scott then chases the kid out of the store screaming about how No Doubt isn't ska and he'll show him some REAL ska.'

I went record shopping the other day with a friend who just dropped a ton of money on a vintage system but only wants to buy 7 inches because a) they're cheaper and b) he only likes a couple of songs off most albums. (Yes, I know this is why iTunes was invented, but whatever).

Imagine going to curmudgeonly record store owners with THAT explanation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dancing Potato posted:

Imagine going to curmudgeonly record store owners with THAT explanation.

A store you have to explain yourself in is a store soon out of business. In fact, any record/book/comic book shop where you actually are expected to talk to complete a transaction is doomed. This may be a Finnish thing, though.

Anyways, a lot of people only collect singles because a) most music on albums is tat and b) a lot of great music was only ever released as singles.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Jerry Cotton posted:

A store you have to explain yourself in is a store soon out of business. In fact, any record/book/comic book shop where you actually are expected to talk to complete a transaction is doomed. This may be a Finnish thing, though.

Anyways, a lot of people only collect singles because a) most music on albums is tat and b) a lot of great music was only ever released as singles.

I think that might be a Finnish thing. Over here if you enter a comic book or record store NOT expecting a conversation to complete your transaction you're experience will be doomed. When I went in to pick up my vinyl I ended up having a 20 minute discussion with the clerk who rang out my purchases about Herbie Hancock.

I think he was shocked to find someone who responded to the name Herbie Hancock with something other than 'That dude did Rock-It, right?' followed by an off-key humming rendition of the main keyboard line.

I pick up singles occasionally for the B-sides and remixes. That white jacketed Inspiral Carpets single I snagged is of their tune 'Commercial Reign' and has 4 or 5 different remixes of that song on it.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Why can't more places have turntables for listening before you buy? A place in portsmouth has like six boxes of "punk(?)" records, all artists I've never heard of, some really weird ones too (like one white heavy 10" that was just folded between cardboard with a bunch of ink scribbles on it, or an LP in a plain gray sleeve with just a number on the back, all labels just Side A and B with some numbers. what could it be??). I wanted to dive in and find out, but $4 for who knows what ain't my game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think every record shop around here has a record player but flea markets obviously don't. I've managed to buy some awesome (and rare) records like that. Then again, I've managed to buy some awful (and rare) records like that, as well.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

big business sloth posted:

Why can't more places have turntables for listening before you buy? A place in portsmouth has like six boxes of "punk(?)" records, all artists I've never heard of, some really weird ones too (like one white heavy 10" that was just folded between cardboard with a bunch of ink scribbles on it, or an LP in a plain gray sleeve with just a number on the back, all labels just Side A and B with some numbers. what could it be??). I wanted to dive in and find out, but $4 for who knows what ain't my game.

You should tell the guy he needs a listening station.
You could get a lovely portable turntable as an alternative.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

You could get a lovely portable turntable as an alternative.

This.

Personally, the best of the bunch for me is the Numark PT-01 and the Vestax Handy Trax.

A word of warning, for whatever reason you might need to, for the love of god do not EVER back cue on one of these portable turntables. It will literally tear the living poo poo out of the groove. Those big red snap-in sapphire needles are like bread knives.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Ron Burgundy posted:

This.

Personally, the best of the bunch for me is the Numark PT-01 and the Vestax Handy Trax.

A word of warning, for whatever reason you might need to, for the love of god do not EVER back cue on one of these portable turntables. It will literally tear the living poo poo out of the groove. Those big red snap-in sapphire needles are like bread knives.

Yeah that sounds pretty scary. I think NH record stores (all of them I know anyway, I've never been in one that had a player) just need to buckle the gently caress down and realize that just opening a store full of your parent's old records isn't simply the key to jumping on this Vinyl Bandwagon.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

I wish someone would reissue "Something That No One Else Could Bring" becuase it has their 4 best songs on one 45. I think because Factory issued it there might be a problem getting the rights. I'm going to suggest it to Drastic Plastic or Captured Tracks even though they would never listen to some random customer in a million years.

I'm pretty sure all of the bands on Factory owned their own music. I know for a fact that New Order did, so I feel like that wouldn't be a huge problem. I could be totally wrong though.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Even though my portable is always in my car, I'm always too hesitant to bring it out, especially at thrift stores and garage sales. I kind of understand stores not keeping demo turntables. In this day and age where a lot of people didn't grow up with vinyl, you're putting a lot of trust in the customer to not scratch it back and forth saying "hur hur I'm a deejay!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

Even though my portable is always in my car, I'm always too hesitant to bring it out, especially at thrift stores and garage sales. I kind of understand stores not keeping demo turntables. In this day and age where a lot of people didn't grow up with vinyl, you're putting a lot of trust in the customer to not scratch it back and forth saying "hur hur I'm a deejay!"

In some places you can have the staff play it for you (preferably on headphones). Although I guess in a shop with only one salesperson that wouldn't really work.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Farts Domino posted:

Yea one of my favorite places in Chicago has a demo turntable for customers (a handful of stores do) and it was out for a while because someone slapped the tonearm and bent the needle and they didn't want a repeat performance.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

LtTennisBall posted:

I'm pretty sure all of the bands on Factory owned their own music. I know for a fact that New Order did, so I feel like that wouldn't be a huge problem. I could be totally wrong though.

Yeah the first album was on Factory as well so I don't think it's a problem

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Well, just goes to show, I e-mailed the owner and asked if they had any plans to put a table out, he just kinda went "hm sounds like a good idea!" and now there's one out there. Cool

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What's the consensus on promo records? I was down in St.Paul this week visiting for the NHL Draft and went to a "Cheapos". Not much of a metal selection but I found Queen's self titled debut for $15. Radio copy only with a list of suggested songs to play. Nice record too -- Queen logo is embossed. Plus this album rules and not a lot of people know that Queen isn't just a bunch of bullshit sports anthem hits.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Vintersorg posted:

What's the consensus on promo records? I was down in St.Paul this week visiting for the NHL Draft and went to a "Cheapos". Not much of a metal selection but I found Queen's self titled debut for $15. Radio copy only with a list of suggested songs to play. Nice record too -- Queen logo is embossed. Plus this album rules and not a lot of people I try know that Queen isn't just a bunch of bullshit sports anthem hits.

Most used record shops don't care about selling them even though technically they shouldn't. As a buyer I try to avoid them because more often than not whatever track was the single or most popular tends to be worn to poo poo even if the rest of the record looks and sounds ok.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Yes generally they are worth less than a regular first pressing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vintersorg posted:

What's the consensus on promo records? I was down in St.Paul this week visiting for the NHL Draft and went to a "Cheapos". Not much of a metal selection but I found Queen's self titled debut for $15. Radio copy only with a list of suggested songs to play. Nice record too -- Queen logo is embossed. Plus this album rules and not a lot of people know that Queen isn't just a bunch of bullshit sports anthem hits.

This is pretty much why I never got into Queen, I guess I've really only heard the radio songs and sports game poo poo. But then I saw Flash Gordon and decided that I must own the soundtrack to that movie. I've yet to come across a copy, but then again I've been holding off buying any music for a while. I'm guessing it won't be too difficult to find.

Tiny Faye posted:

Most used record shops don't care about selling them even though technically they shouldn't. As a buyer I try to avoid them because more often than not whatever track was the single or most popular tends to be worn to poo poo even if the rest of the record looks and sounds ok.

I always suspected this was the case but I've only ever bought a few promo copies and in those cases I had no issues.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 30, 2011

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Tiny Faye posted:

I always assumed the opposite, that the record shop owners and deejays would be more likely to take better care of their albums. I've got a bunch of promo albums and haven't run into any with major problems.

Off topic, but I can't look at your avatar without being reminded that Quintron and Miss Pussycat canceled their tour. I was really looking forward to hitting that show.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BigHustle posted:

I always assumed the opposite, that the record shop owners and deejays would be more likely to take better care of their albums.

I think it's more a practical matter in that the DJs had to play that song a lot for their setlists.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

BigHustle posted:

deejays would be more likely to take better care of their albums.

I've found the opposite was mostly the case, record handling at radio stations was a cringeworthy ordeal.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

BigHustle posted:

I always assumed the opposite, that the record shop owners and deejays would be more likely to take better care of their albums. I've got a bunch of promo albums and haven't run into any with major problems.

This isn't the case for records that came from college stations at all. To be fair though I do have a couple promo copies in my collection that are absolutely fine (one's I didn't even realize were promos until I got home). It's very hit or miss with them, honestly.

quote:

Off topic, but I can't look at your avatar without being reminded that Quintron and Miss Pussycat canceled their tour. I was really looking forward to hitting that show.

Quintron and Miss Pussycat shows are the closest things I have to practicing an actual religion. I missed them the last time they were in Boston because of my little bro's high school graduation. Douchebag barely graduated and was 5th from the bottom of his class. Flunked out of community college to work at Wendy's to sell weed. I bought him a Jay Dilla record last X-mas (one of his favorite rappers) and it's still in the shrink rap.

bitter middle child....

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 30, 2011

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I see my Quintron shows at Quintron's house :smug:

but yeah, I think radio shows are often a good recipe for having records left out of their sleeves and piled on top of each other until the end of the show, not to mention people that don't know how to cue a record and pinch the tone arm and practically push the needle onto the wax.

That said in the studio I don't see many cases where there's a big X scratched into the record like I do in thrift stores. I swear some people really wanted to murder their music

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Farts Domino posted:

there's a big X scratched into the record

It's funny you should mention this, because many of the ex radio records I bought had big yellow china-graph x's over the tracks the producers didn't want the DJ to play. They came off easy enough, but I kept a couple for radio nostalgia. On singles, they went as far as to actually rip the label off the B side.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Ron Burgundy posted:

I've found the opposite was mostly the case, record handling at radio stations was a cringeworthy ordeal.

Yeah, see, this kind of stuff is why my :10bux: keeps paying for itself. I should know better, but I like to live in my own little world where people care about their vinyl.

Farts Domino, If I was in New Orleans I'd go there myself. I'm in STL and have to wait for the cool kids to come play in the basement of an office building and poo poo.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

It's funny you should mention this, because many of the ex radio records I bought had big yellow china-graph x's over the tracks the producers didn't want the DJ to play. They came off easy enough, but I kept a couple for radio nostalgia. On singles, they went as far as to actually rip the label off the B side.
oh yeah, THAT I see all the time, but at least it's on the label. I've also seen a lot of radio 45s where one side has like 5 check marks sharpied on, makes me feel pretty excited about listening to it

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 30, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
No, not the label, the playing surface! I received a crate of records that looked like this.

They were free, but still, radio is a hard life for records.

cthulhukid
Jun 1, 2001
Welp, finally had the Texas heat warp a record beyond playability in the mail. Probably lucky it hasn't happened more often, but guess I shouldn't skimp on media mail during the summer anymore :(

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

cthulhukid posted:

Welp, finally had the Texas heat warp a record beyond playability in the mail. Probably lucky it hasn't happened more often, but guess I shouldn't skimp on media mail during the summer anymore :(

Yeah, I live in Alabama and have stopped ordering records, in the summer now, unless it's limited thing that I have to or I'll miss it.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Hey New Yorkers, Insound is having a warehouse sale tonight starting at 6 PM. Come on down to our office (61 Greenpoint Avenue, Suite 225), save on shipping, and say hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

fozzie dunlop posted:

Hey New Yorkers, Insound is having a warehouse sale tonight starting at 6 PM. Come on down to our office (61 Greenpoint Avenue, Suite 225), save on shipping, and say hi!

What if I can't be in New York, also how about a goon discount ^_____^