Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

Speaking of Discogs, what's the best way to spot a first pressing? I know you can look for a particular catalog number on the release year, but even then there are usually multiple variations. Sometimes the notes specify "original" but not always.

The codes on the runout, usually. Is this a discogs question or a record question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BigFactory posted:

The codes on the runout, usually. Is this a discogs question or a record question?

Discogs. Say I don't own the record but I want to know how to identify the first pressing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

Discogs. Say I don't own the record but I want to know how to identify the first pressing.

The first one in the list? If it's a famous record or famous first pressing it's usually in the notes. If it's Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees don't worry about it, just turn up that sweet, sweet sound.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

wa27 posted:

Their search algorithm is terrible. Say I want to find the artist page for The Knack. I type The Knack into the search bar and press enter. This is what I see:

First of all, 95% of the people searching for The Knack are going to be looking for the artist, so why does all this stuff take precedent in the list? The second release is a digital download that a grand total of 2 people say they own.

But no problem, I'll just click over to the Artist tab:

Let's see... "Hero The Knack", that's not it. Must be one of the 7(!) "Knack, The" listings. Number 3 is the one I (and almost every other person) cares about. Now why is that listing not first? If not in the "All" results, then at least in the artist results. Hero The Knack has one song on one compilation album that one person on discogs owns. I'm not going to complain about them being The Knack (3) because I'm sure that's a limitation of their database, but that doesn't mean they need to be the fourth one in the list. They have a ton of ways to measure the popularity of a release or artist (number owned, page traffic, number of releases, marketplace listings) so why doesn't their search take that into account?

I recently entered about 400 records into discogs and it wasn't too bad because you can just enter the catalog number and usually go straight to the release. It was always a pain the rear end to find an album if I couldn't read the cat number, though. I know improving the search isn't exactly trivial, but discogs is a great site and that is the only thing about it that annoys me to no end.

Yeah the search can be tricky. Generally though I can find stuff. If you know a better site than discogs please inform me. At the moment though I'm making due with the best vinyl database I know.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Use the 'site:' thing on google, to use the previous example type:

the knack site:discogs.com

into google and the first hit takes you to The Knack you want.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Or even just helping Discogs search out a little tiny bit makes it workable. Typing "get the knack" in will bring that album up as one of the first few hits, with the artist link right there. Google has spoiled us.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

b0red posted:

Yeah the search can be tricky. Generally though I can find stuff. If you know a better site than discogs please inform me. At the moment though I'm making due with the best vinyl database I know.

You're right about that. Nothing even comes close to the comprehensiveness of discogs. There's been a few local pressings and whatnot that I've found on rateyourmusic.com that discogs did't have, but RYM isn't going to list the 50 variants of a major release, or let you buy/sell, or give you much useful information at all.

eggsovereasy posted:

That's a good tip. I'll just set up a custom search in Chrome and that should be good enough.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
A really weird thing I've found works sometimes on Discogs is simply putting a space after the artist name. For example, if I type in 'Swans' I get a load of random nonsense but 'Swans ' gets me, well ... the band Swans.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Might not be the thread for it, but any records store as good as landlocked in bloomington IN in indianapolis?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

wa27 posted:

You're right about that. Nothing even comes close to the comprehensiveness of discogs. There's been a few local pressings and whatnot that I've found on rateyourmusic.com that discogs did't have, but RYM isn't going to list the 50 variants of a major release, or let you buy/sell, or give you much useful information at all.

Make sure you add those releases to discogs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Does anyone in here bug out over adding label variants to discogs? Like not for important releases, but like the 50th entry for a Hall and Oates record that doesn't have Side A in the right font or something? The amount of (let's face it, useless) information that's categorized on Discogs is impressive.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

The only things I've been unable to find on Discogs have been pressings meant for DJs/radio stations. Like, I have a Bangles single that has the same song on both sides, couldn't find that. Pretty understandable I guess.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just add a note in my discogs collection when I have a different version. Someday I may possibly make those updates but probably not unless I'm selling them.

I've also got a little stack that aren't listed at all. Those are more likely to get added at some point and I should do it sooner than later before they get all mixed back in with the rest.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Snowy posted:

I just add a note in my discogs collection when I have a different version. Someday I may possibly make those updates but probably not unless I'm selling them.

I've also got a little stack that aren't listed at all. Those are more likely to get added at some point and I should do it sooner than later before they get all mixed back in with the rest.

It only takes a minute to add a new entry. Different version of an existing entry is a little more of a pain in the rear end because you have to go through all of them and check runouts and all that bullshit. But a new entry takes like 5 minutes. Chances are there are even pictures online, just not on discogs. I think I've only had a couple where I've actually had to take pictures because the record doesn't exist on the internet somehow. Or there was one pic and it was small and crappy.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
So now I've paid the import duty I can show off all the fun new crap I've picked up recently:

Feedbacker is soooooo loving good.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

landofcake posted:

How did they decide to split the thing? Just at midpoint or did they decide to split it after part 2 or something?

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

landofcake posted:

So now I've paid the import duty I can show off all the fun new crap I've picked up recently:

Whoa! Please tell me that Young Team is used. It looks too jacked up to have paid full price for.

And while we're talking Mogwai, anyone here with a copy of Mr. Beast or Happy Songs for Happy People they want to unload may feel free to PM me.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
How expensive is shipping from the UK to the US? I want to get the Terminator 2 7", and I have a friend over there that might be able to snag it for me.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 16, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shipping is getting so crazy. I just ordered a Loop test press lp that only cost £4.50, but shipping was £7.50. And that was on the cheaper side compared to other sellers I was looking at.

E- but that's from a seller with a mailer, so probably doesn't help judge prices for your friend doing the shipping sorry.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

eggsovereasy posted:

I usually don't even bother with "site:" or ".com" and it gets the same results. Can't waste time when money is about to leave your wallet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dr. Lenin posted:

How expensive is shipping from the UK to the US? I want to get the Terminator 2 7", and I have a friend over there that might be able to snag it for me.

Whhhhhat? What Terminator 2 7"? I have to know about this.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

CPL593H posted:

Whhhhhat? What Terminator 2 7"? I have to know about this.

The RSD one.
http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/03/21/terminator-2-ost-tracks-pressed-to-7/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Booooo, why can't I get this in Merica?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
RSD UK is getting a pretty sweet Temples/Jagwar Ma picture disc 7" with art by Oliver Hebert. I'd kill for one, but I doubt my UK contacts would be up for it.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Booooo, why can't I get this in Merica?

You can, you just have to wait until after RSD and pay an extra $15.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

3dou posted:

You can, you just have to wait until after RSD and pay an extra $15.

An extra 15? You're adorable.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

CPL593H posted:

An extra 15? You're adorable.

I'm sorry, an extra 15 per 7".

No but really, shipping 7"s overseas is surprisingly cheap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

3dou posted:

I'm sorry, an extra 15 per 7".

No but really, shipping 7"s overseas is surprisingly cheap.

What I mean is that if it's a :siren:LIMITED EDITION RSD:siren: record, it's going to price gouged way beyond 15 bucks. Especially if it's UK only.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Yeah, unless you have a friend in the UK who can pick it up for you you're pretty much hosed.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
There's been a shitload more pre-flipping this year: http://www.binfrenzy.com/search/?query=rsd+2014

(Wizard of Oz, really? RSD is straight up terrible.)

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

JehovahsWetness posted:

There's been a shitload more pre-flipping this year: http://www.binfrenzy.com/search/?query=rsd+2014

Lmao those prices are absurd. $200 for a Dave Matthews Band box set.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Also a friend sent me a picture from a shop in Sweden. Ridiculously jealous.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Chill Callahan posted:

yo, that's sick. Aquarius records in san francisco has an entire Flying Nun section which is super awesome. (I'm assuming you're talking about the label sections and not the field mice LP)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Chill Callahan posted:

Sarah Records section! :swoon:

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

JehovahsWetness posted:

No argument here. Sadly, I'll be there before sunrise in a lawnchair reading a book until they open the doors. Record war is hell.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

No argument here. Sadly, I'll be there before sunrise in a lawnchair reading a book until they open the doors. Record war is hell.

You're joking, right? There aren't actually people that early at your music store are there?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BigFactory posted:

You're joking, right? There aren't actually people that early at your music store are there?

I'm not him, but last year I got to my store an hour before it opened (8 a.m.) and there were already 30+ people in line. I think it depends on where you live.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm not him, but last year I got to my store an hour before it opened (8 a.m.) and there were already 30+ people in line. I think it depends on where you live.

That's pretty dumb. I've always showed up around 15 min early and been 5 or 6 back in line. Or just went out later in the day and still picked up something neat.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
This year I have to go early because I get off work after my regular store closes. No waking up at noon and still snagging what I want this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

BigFactory posted:

Oh yes. I learned my lesson last year. It didn't help that my local shop (we have several in Nashville, but I prefer the one a block from my house) wasn't limiting people's purchases. This year I asked them and another big shop if they would be limiting, and they said they've pledged to do so. Just the same I'd rather get there early, get what I want and then enjoy the festivities and maybe then go back to sleep. :) Last year I was 50 people back when I got there and everything I wanted was gone, so I just went home.